ADVERTISEMENT

Painter ....does he stay or go without a FF ?

Bleedinggoldandblack

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Sep 15, 2012
The Watchtower
I love Painter and whether he gets these guys to a FF or not , he represents integrity in a sport that has lost a lot of that over the years , when he offers a kid , he is saying to the parents, I am going to help make him a better person that long after basketball he will be a good .man/ person in this world. At the end of the day , while I hope they can put it all together and get there , because it is overdue , you can't buy his love for these kids and Purdue and I hope he always stays... Painter Up! He is a reflection of the "Good of college basketball 🏀 "

I love Painter and whether he gets these guys to a FF or not , he represents integrity in a sport that has lost a lot of that over the years , when he offers a kid , he is saying to the parents, I am going to help make him a better person that long after basketball he will be a good .man/ person in this world. At the end of the day , while I hope they can put it all together and get there , because it is overdue , you can't buy his love for these kids and Purdue and I hope he always stays... Painter Up! He is a reflection of the "Good of college basketball 🏀 "
Painter, like Keady before him, is at Purdue as long as he wants to be.

You think Purdue will fire a coach that wins the big ten regular season and tournament title in a rebuilding year?...he's probably the safest coach in the big ten right now....he'll leave or retire way before Purdue fires him....

Are you asking if we think he will get fired after this year if he doesn't get to the FF??

If so, that is the easiest question to answer in the history of questions.....NO

If you're asking if we think he gets to a FF before he leaves PU, that is a whole different question. I would say Yes, but not with a lot of confidence.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Painter, like Keady before him, is at Purdue as long as he wants to be.
Keady stayed about 3-4 years too long.
Painter runs a very good program, not a great program, at least not by tourney success standards. He's a safe bet for the athletic administration.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Are you asking if we think he will get fired after this year if he doesn't get to the FF??

If so, that is the easiest question to answer in the history of questions.....NO

If you're asking if we think he gets to a FF before he leaves PU, that is a whole different question. I would say Yes, but not with a lot of confidence.
If you don't see which way he/recruiting/team results are trending, I don't know what to tell you. ;0)

If you don't see which way he/recruiting/team results are trending, I don't know what to tell you. ;0)
I've seen more history than you have (I think you've posted you were in school in the baby boiler years). I'm more jaded. I've seen the program appear to be trending up only to be crushed again come tournament time. No one wants it more than I do, but I'm not confident.

So if you don't understand why someone that has cheered for PU basketball for more than 40 years would be cautious on their predictions for a final four, I don't know what to tell you.....

One way to look at 'the question " , is considering the paradise that West Lafayette is and his Integrity, what if ? someone comes looking for him , with a FF , his stock rises bigly.....just saying !

I've seen more history than you have (I think you've posted you were in school in the baby boiler years). I'm more jaded. I've seen the program appear to be trending up only to be crushed again come tournament time. No one wants it more than I do, but I'm not confident.

So if you don't understand why someone that has cheered for PU basketball for more than 40 years would be cautious on their predictions for a final four, I don't know what to tell you.....
Got ya by a decade or so. Well over 50 for me. Tell me when the talent has been trending upward like it is now? Tell me another time we got back to back Mr. Basketballs instate?
Been some outstanding teams that were often bracketed by some VERY low ranked recruiting years that led to historic mentions of "Gene and 5 guys from the co-rec"
Anyone that was around knows how Matt got the baby boilers and that was probably the highest ranked group ever? He chased them for a couple of years as Gene coached his string out.
I personally can't recall of a single team where literally every man was competing for pt on a top 5 ranked team.
Not a miss or a never was to be seen on that bench.
Historic I say.
Doesn't mean they accomplish more, but they will ;)

Got ya by a decade or so. Well over 50 for me. Tell me when the talent has been trending upward like it is now? Tell me another time we got back to back Mr. Basketballs instate?
Been some outstanding teams that were often bracketed by some VERY low ranked recruiting years that led to historic mentions of "Gene and 5 guys from the co-rec"
Anyone that was around knows how Matt got the baby boilers and that was probably the highest ranked group ever? He chased them for a couple of years as Gene coached his string out.
I personally can't recall of a single team where literally every man was competing for pt on a top 5 ranked team.
Historic I say.
Love your confidence. Nothing would make me happier than to see this team go to the FF (well except a championship).

I would point out the following times we were trending up:

3 Amigos, Late 80's
middle 90's with Big Dog and 3 peat B1G championships
Baby Boilers era
Vince/Dakota/Swanigan group

All of these times it looked as if PU was trending up and would make it over the FF hump. Only to not get it done for a variety of reasons.

What year did you graduate from PU? Wouldn't have guessed you were 60+ years old.

Painter has his share of players with DUIs, caught with weed, etc. The program isn't spotless.
College kids make dumb decisions. A coach can’t control all that. A thing that I love about Painter is that he doesn’t take these things lightly and actually punishes his players for their missteps. The best indicator is that you don’t see repeat offenders. That’s a product of the culture he’s built.

• Love
Reactions: northside100
Historic I say.
I can't love this post enough. I know that everyone is a star in preseason but I'm with you, I can't recall another time when my concern was 'how are we going to get guys enough time' more than 'what happens if player X has to play more than a few minutes'.

I may be alone on this, but really don’t care. With NIL and the transfer portal being what it is, just win baby. Things have changed so much that running a great program is insignificant to winning.
There are 2 guys you’ll need to get fired to make this happen. Hint: both of them have the initials MB…

I may be alone on this, but really don’t care. With NIL and the transfer portal being what it is, just win baby. Things have changed so much that running a great program is insignificant to winning.
Is that really any different than how things have always been? It's just moved from shoe companies and bag drops to NIL recruiting that flaunts NCAA regulations.

Completely your prerogative to not care, just not sure it's any different than wanting Purdue to get in bed with Nike and let boosters buy recruits in the pre-NIL days.

Is that really any different than how things have always been? It's just moved from shoe companies and bag drops to NIL recruiting that flaunts NCAA regulations.

Completely your prerogative to not care, just not sure it's any different than wanting Purdue to get in bed with Nike and let boosters buy recruits in the pre-NIL days.
It’s a little different currently as many teams are on a rental player for a year deal. Purdue is now doing it. It’s tough to run a squeaky clean program under the circumstances now.

Historic I say.
Ancient history now, but we did 3 Indiana Mr. BB's in a row in '64, '65 and '66. And a couple of guys during those yrs who were at or near the top of national scoring. Again, not relevant during this era, but it has happened....

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
Love your confidence. Nothing would make me happier than to see this team go to the FF (well except a championship).

3 Amigos, Late 80's
Baby Boilers era

All of these times it looked as if PU was trending up and would make it over the FF hump. Only to not get it done for a variety of reasons.

What year did you graduate from PU? Wouldn't have guessed you were 60+ years old.
Amigos were 1 class, with JJ in the next. Who else in the next 2 years after? Someone knows who we signed after that.
As were Baby Boilers........ that Matt chased personally for 2 seasons while not being a head coach.
that's not a trend. And what did we get in the signings AFTER those guys?
Dakota wasn't a big catch. Vince maybe more, still had multiple guys on that team that didn't/shouldn't see the court in Big 10 games.
An ascending trend would be good recruiting classes FOLLOWING UP your high achieving classes and staying nationally ranked AFTER your best teams ever..
That's not happened much (if ever).
Gene got on a role and took state recruiting for a couple of years when he was beating Booby Butthead. When we signed the two bookend big forwards that had everyone excited and then they never did a thing. Davis and ?? (flowers?)
Unless something goes wrong and guys transfer this is a top 10ish team NEXT year. Without Zack Edey..
And the freshmen might be another deadly class for a couple more after that.
THAT is a trend ;)

3 Amigos, Late 80's
Baby Boilers era

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Amigos were 1 class, with JJ in the next. Who else in the next 2 years after? Someone knows who we signed after that.
As were Baby Boilers........ that Matt chased personally for 2 seasons while not being a head coach.
Dakota wasn't a big catch. Vince maybe more, still had multiple guys on that team that didn't/shouldn't see the court in Big 10 games.
An ascending trend would be good recruiting classes FOLLOWING UP your high achieving classes and staying nationally ranked AFTER your best teams ever..
Gene got on a role and took state recruiting for a couple of years when he was beating Booby Butthead. When we signed the two bookend big forwards that had everyone excited and then they never did a thing. Davis and ?? (flowers?)
Unless something goes wrong and guys transfer this is a top 10ish team NEXT year. Without Zack Edey..
THAT is a trend ;)
Quit making me agree with you

I'm not saying you're wrong, but overall that's truly sad.

THAT is a trend ;)
I think you're counting your chickens before they hatch (since you're over 60 you should get that one). But you're certainly entitled to do so. I don't have any more confidence that we will get to a FF this season than I have many other years before. You obviously feel differently and have a great deal of confidence. We shall see what the next few years have in store.

I think you're counting your chickens before they hatch (since you're over 60 you should get that one). But you're certainly entitled to do so. I don't have any more confidence that we will get to a FF this season than I have many other years before. You obviously feel differently and have a great deal of confidence. We shall see what the next few years have in store.
Haven’t been this highly ranked, after spending multiple weeks in the top 5 the last 2 years, with a NPOTY coming back and a full team back(basically) with the recruits we have on the team and the addition of Colvin and Heide’s athleticism and (hopefully) their shooting (with Waddell). I think that’s why the confidence is there…although I would say we haven’t ever come off a loss to a 16 seed either so there’s that…ha

But you’re saying feel the same this year as other years in making a run to the F4? If so, please help me be this way too!!

Winning and how a team gets to that point generates many different opinions. Who am I to say what someone must think or feel? My demographics are quite common…nothing special, and don’t know if my demographics were less common, if I would hold some of the same thinking? My hourglass is running down, but in my many years on earth I’ve experienced…the journey is under appreciated for many until the end goal is met. For the sake of the players, coaches and their families and friends along with all of the people that desire a FF or NC for themselves I hope they get their wish. I hope to see it to find out if a month later it holds the same value as originally thought.

Haven’t been this highly ranked, after spending multiple weeks in the top 5 the last 2 years, with a NPOTY coming back and a full team back(basically) with the recruits we have on the team and the addition of Colvin and Heide’s athleticism and (hopefully) their shooting (with Waddell). I think that’s why the confidence is there…although I would say we haven’t ever come off a loss to a 16 seed either so there’s that…ha

But you’re saying feel the same this year as other years in making a run to the F4? If so, please help me be this way too!!
Look, there is no doubt we have a very talented team and as of this morning we are tied for the third best odds to win it all (14-1) behind only Duke and Kansas. So I certainly understand people having a lot of confidence that we will reach the FF. Nothing wrong with that and I have said so several times.

However.......I personally have been very optimistic in some previous seasons only to see those hopes go down the drain. So I don't have any more confidence that we are going to get to the FF this year or next year. It doesn't mean that I don't think this team is very good or that we aren't "trending" better than recent years.

The question was asked if CMP would leave PU with a FF or not? I said I wasn't confident that he would. It's just one guy's opinion, nothing more.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Elite 8 or its time to look elsewhere. I would rather not win the B1G and make a deep tournament run. But in reality he is probably here as long as he wants unless we lose in the first round again. If that happens it's time to move on as hard as that will be.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Elite 8 or its time to look elsewhere. I would rather not win the B1G and make a deep tournament run. But in reality he is probably here as long as he wants unless we lose in the first round again. If that happens it's time to move on as hard as that will be.
It depends...if we have a great regular season but lose to an incredibly hot team in the first round and no one could inexplicably shoot on our team then painter will not be at fault, if we play poorly again and lose to a mediocre team then I could see painter feeling a little heat...if we have a poor season like north carolina did last year then I could see the heat turned up some on painter....either way he's not getting fired from Purdue...we've never had expectations like this before under Painter and probably under keady too....we finally have enough talent and experience to compete against the best...I'm sure expectations are higher than they normally are for Purdue but I'm sure painter and the team embrace it...if we stay healthy I really don't see a major disappointment this year....remember the tourney is a one game season...I've seen some of the most talented teams ever in college bball not make a final four....if we do well in the regular season and lose to a crazy hot team in the Sweet sixteen, it will be disappointing but the heat will not be turned up on painter....he's not being judged on one game unless it is a colossal upset where we were listless the whole game....personally I want to see us improve throughout the year and actually look like a national contender before the tourney....we haven't done that since forever...that will give me hope that we should expect or reasonably have a chance at a final four....

Look, there is no doubt we have a very talented team and as of this morning we are tied for the third best odds to win it all (14-1) behind only Duke and Kansas. So I certainly understand people having a lot of confidence that we will reach the FF. Nothing wrong with that and I have said so several times.

However.......I personally have been very optimistic in some previous seasons only to see those hopes go down the drain. So I don't have any more confidence that we are going to get to the FF this year or next year. It doesn't mean that I don't think this team is very good or that we aren't "trending" better than recent years.

The question was asked if CMP would leave PU with a FF or not? I said I wasn't confident that he would. It's just one guy's opinion, nothing more.
Ah ah ah ok. Got ya. I am no confident either but I would think this year and the next 2 will be the best shot he’s had going into a season since the baby boiler days

Reactions: Dryfly88 and SKYDOG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT