ADVERTISEMENT

Our nation's COVID-19 response is a disaster !

Adjustment occurred Monday. There is definitely some backlog in today's 313 number, but don't know how much. But then over the next couple weeks there will be some deaths that happened today that get reported.....that you have to add back to today's number...to get an actual number for today. Texas hospitalizations and cases are trending down now.

I don't think blaming the media is the solution here. The NY Times clearly reported the 600 death "dump" on that day, for example.

The fact of the matter is that the data from each state is all handled differently and there's no standard put out by the federal government. Some states are reporting hospitalizations, ICU beds, etc. -- some simply aren't. When you drill down to look at how things are going, that's all data you want to look at (i.e. just seeing how many positive tests is only so helpful without the % percentage/total tests done, then how many of those are hospitalized, then how many of those are in ICU, then you look at deaths). This isn't a "quick" virus - it's often 6 weeks from infection to a death (or release from hospital). So looking at all of these different data sets is important -- and many states aren't even reporting that data.

I don't think blaming the media is the solution here. The NY Times clearly reported the 600 death "dump" on that day, for example.
. . .
-- and many states aren't even reporting that data.

Like Florida ! ! I wonder why ? ? (# Raging Fire !)

322 deaths in Texas today after 313 yesterday. They took an additional 225 deaths off the numbers from earlier this week after they were mistakenly included.
Abbott now has a Covid handling approval rating of 38%, which is a steep decline after enjoying an approval rating of 61% in late April in similar polls.

Reactions: MJ-79Boiler
On a personal note:
My engineering office has 14 active employees. We all have our own offices and can close our doors. I have been religiously careful in maintaining distance and anytime someone entered my office, I put my mask on, somewhat to encourage the person entering to put theirs on as well.
We do have a "mask denier" in our office though. Only wears his in our weekly meeting because it is required. All other times, he did not wear a mask and would socialize with others, especially at lunch time in the break room (I eat in my office).

He and his wife were diagnosed positive last Friday.

We were told to start working from home again starting Tuesday and were encouraged to be tested. As of today, 4 more have tested positive. My results are still pending, but I do not have symptoms. Pretty sure I am OK, but am canceling plans for the weekend just in case.

I know that some here think masks are stupid, but please, put it on. Two of the positives in the office have significant previous health factors. I am legitimately scared for them.

We are all going to catch this thing eventually, but the longer we can slow it down, the better. A vaccine is coming. Exhibit some patience and stay safe.

The longer we can slow it down the more hospitals can accommodate those who need to be in the hospital and the more our knowledge increases for better treatment. I read that Delta is diligent about wearing masks on their planes to the point of turning a flight from Detroit to Atlanta back to Detroit because two people refused to wear masks.

Remember when I said the re-opening would fail and that the cases were about to jump in the south ? Well, I sadly have another prediction.

The re-opening of the schools will fail ! !

Why do I say that?

1.) Most schools are not prepared, do not have the space for social distancing, are not being given the financial support to upgrade their rooms (ie Plexi-glass, hepa filters, masks, etc..)

- In Iowa for example, my daughter tells me "their" plan is to provide 2 masks per kid ! (so they will have to be re-used, may be left at home and they have no plan for kids/parents which refuse to go along with a mask wearing policy)

2.) As we now know, hundreds of thousands of kids have gotten the virus, so they can not only get it, but can be a fairly efficient spreader of the virus. (ie Now seeing that younger children have 10-100 times the viral load in their nasal areas as adults do)

- I have long thought that the total viral load is what is leading to the worst cases and young, virally potent, children (especially lower ages like 0-8 years) start yelling and playing together . . . well it's a recipe for another major spike

3.) What kind of education will be provided when the teachers get sick? (Most schools were having trouble finding substitutes "before" the virus)

4.) The nation NEVER got our base case count down in the summer like the other nations, because we never coordinated it "nationally", so we just chose a whack-a-mole approach, allowing it to spread from state to state. So . . . instead of getting our case count down in the summer, we have "doubled" the situation we had in the spring and think it will be ok - Even when past data shows that the areas which "SHUT DOWN" their schools early on did better in their communities This is STUPID !

Need more justification???

Look at the "KIDS" camps which are now being prematurely shut down because kids, counselors and staffers are sick.

https://www.macon.com/news/coronavirus/article244158667.html

https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/07/christian-summer-camp-kanakuk-82-cases-covid-19.html

https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-ne...creek-summer-camp/XAX7DVNW5VAZ3P5YRQY7V7E564/

Then look at the other dynamics at play:

https://fox5sandiego.com/news/coron...kids-suggesting-children-may-spread-covid-19/

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2020/07/30/utah-students-can-still/ (ie Going to let infected kids and teachers go to school)

Reactions: TheCainer
Well, the results are in on the "Reopening" of the economy - You can pretty much draw a line across the country and split it into North vs South.

Here's the top 10 in cases along with a comparison on where they were BEFORE the reopening. The performance from Northern states and mask wearing states versus those in the south that resist wearing masks is stark

1.) California 528,167 cases (On May 9th -66,826 cases & were 5th worst)
2.) Florida 502,739 cases (On May 9th - 40,001 cases & were 8th worst)
3.) Texas 474,420 cases (On May 9th - 38,412 cases & were 9th worst)
4.) New York - 418,225 cases (On May 9th - 333,122 cases & the worst)
5.) Georgia - 201,705 cases (On May 9th - 32,969 cases & 11th worst)
6.) Illinois - 187,752 cases (On May 9th - 76,085 cases & 4th worst)
7.) New Jersey - 183,327 cases (On My 9th - 137,397 cases & 2nd worst)
8.) Arizona - 182,293 cases (On May 9th - less than 10,000 & not in top 20)
9.) North Carolina - 129,728 cases (On May 9th - 14,594 cases & 20th)
10.) Louisiana - 125,943 cases (On May 9th - 31,417 cases & 13th)

Note: Those in bold are obviously going the wrong way on the list

Sadly, from a process control standpoint, the country is out of control now and is rapidly "running" towards another hard shutdown. (ie It's the only thing we can do to bring it under "some" level of control.) We simply do not have the testing capacity or supplies and are willing to throw more gasoline on the fire (ie Reopening the schools without process controls)

While I would like to think our country could be smart enough to reduce the numbers without a hard shutdown, it's pretty clear that can't happen now. Businesses will keep closing and the same people who won't wear a mask will be dumbfounded as it why they are losing their jobs

The only way these numbers get reduced is a National shutdown at the same time.

A major economic shock is coming, if Washington doesn't get there act together (ie leadership, modeling, stimulus, etc..)

On a personal note:
My engineering office has 14 active employees. We all have our own offices and can close our doors. I have been religiously careful in maintaining distance and anytime someone entered my office, I put my mask on, somewhat to encourage the person entering to put theirs on as well.
We do have a "mask denier" in our office though. Only wears his in our weekly meeting because it is required. All other times, he did not wear a mask and would socialize with others, especially at lunch time in the break room (I eat in my office).

He and his wife were diagnosed positive last Friday.

We were told to start working from home again starting Tuesday and were encouraged to be tested. As of today, 4 more have tested positive. My results are still pending, but I do not have symptoms. Pretty sure I am OK, but am canceling plans for the weekend just in case.

I know that some here think masks are stupid, but please, put it on. Two of the positives in the office have significant previous health factors. I am legitimately scared for them.

We are all going to catch this thing eventually, but the longer we can slow it down, the better. A vaccine is coming. Exhibit some patience and stay safe.

WOW! A voice of reason and logic in the midst of a pandemic. The pandemic I am talking about is TDS. The other pandemic is becoming well understood and more predictable every day with vaccines on the way. The deaths are horrific but if Trump hadn’t done anything the numbers would have been astronomical.

Remember when projected deaths in the US were 2,000,000?

Last edited:
WOW! A voice of reason and logic in the midst of a pandemic. The pandemic I am talking about is TDS. The other pandemic is becoming well understood and more predictable every day with vaccines on the way. The deaths are horrific but if Trump hadn’t done anything the numbers would have been astronomical.

Remember when we had 15 cases and were told they’d be close to 0? Those goalposts must be awfully light, huh Bruce?

Yep, he saved millions of lives by not doing nothing. Great decision.

Yup, not doing nothing= doing something! Have another cup of coffee. Building houses all night again, huh?
He's saying if he had done nothing we would have lost millions of lives. Can you describe a situation where a president would do NOTHING to stop a pandemic? As incompetent as trump is, he's not that stupid.

So let's all kneel down and praise trump for not choking and doing nothing to stop a pandemic.

I think you have it backwards ! IF . . he had done SOMETHING . . the numbers and the deaths wouldn't have been astronomical ! But he didn't - instead, he chose to deny it was happening, was quite pleased with it's early growth as he initially saw it as a Blue state problem and will now pay the price for the deaths on HIS watch. Shameful !

To show everyone how "out of control" we are, . . we now have 5 MILLION cases in early Aug, when I originally projected 5 million for the end of Sept.

I also think my April estimate for deaths may be close as well. I said 250,000 by the end of Sept - We have 165,000 and counting. It's been ramping up since mid July as I expected.

The 3rd bubble is now coming (from schools) Sturgis will also be interesting to watch . (ie 250,000 people running around a small town without masks & then going home)

To show everyone how "out of control" we are, . . we now have 5 MILLION cases in early Aug, when I originally projected 5 million for the end of Sept.

I also think my April estimate for deaths may be close as well. I said 250,000 by the end of Sept - We have 165,000 and counting. It's been ramping up since mid July as I expected.

The 3rd bubble is now coming (from schools) Sturgis will also be interesting to watch . (ie 250,000 people running around a small town without masks & then going home)
My brother in law rode out from NC. Hes a reasonable guy, not a covid denier........but he knows he can't come to the house for a while after he returns.

Sadly, we just crossed 6 MILLION cases and 183,000 deaths. Some things just don't change under this administration.

Unless something changes we should be over 10 Million cases and 300,000 deaths before we can get rid of this Russian Puppet and Moron. (ie end of Jan)

6.1 Million cases - 85,000 deaths - just like stacking cord wood for Republicans - No big deal

Florida and Texas now has 180,000 MORE cases than New York - let that one sink in a minute . . . and it's still growing ! !

Now hearing early reports that a person in Hong Kong and one in Nevada have gotten the virus the "2nd" time ! I guess that makes it clear that it's NOT going away anytime soon - Good move Repubs ! ! (ie Let it mushroom, it's no big deal) I guess they don't care about the economy or the education of the kids.

Florida and Texas May have more cases, but they still have 10k less deaths than New York, because their governors aren’t incompetent.

There is no proof to anyone getting it a second time. If it can be gotten a second time it doesn’t really matter as the vaccine will be ready in early December.

Continue your regularly scheduled freakout though.

You don’t know that a vaccine will be ready in December. It would be great if there was, but right now that’s wishful thinking.

You don’t know that a vaccine will be ready in December. It would be great if there was, but right now that’s wishful thinking.
Moderna and Pfizer sure seem to think they will be approved by then. The latest report is that they plan to be done with stage 3 and ready to present to FDA for approval by the end of October. Moderna has shown to be very effective generating antibodies in elderly adults while both have been affective at generating antibodies in younger people.

Logic would be that Moderna would be administered to the elderly population while Pfizer goes to younger people. Pfizer is at a disadvantage from a distribution standpoint as well since it has to be stored at negative 94 degrees compared to negative 4 degrees for Moderna.

Moderna and Pfizer sure seem to think they will be approved by then. The latest report is that they plan to be done with stage 3 and ready to present to FDA for approval by the end of October. Moderna has shown to be very effective generating antibodies in elderly adults while both have been affective at generating antibodies in younger people.

Logic would be that Moderna would be administered to the elderly population while Pfizer goes to younger people. Pfizer is at a disadvantage from a distribution standpoint as well since it has to be stored at negative 94 degrees compared to negative 4 degrees for Moderna.

Man, I really do hope you’re right. But as of right now it’s little more than speculation.

Then there’s the problem of distribution etc. Obviously it makes sense that front line folks and highest risk individuals get it first. But people will be wary of something new and anti-vaxxers will be in full effect.

So even when a vaccine does get approved I think there are going to be a lot of roadblocks in front of it. I hope I’m wrong but with how quickly disinformation can spread, it could be an ugly slog.

Man, I really do hope you’re right. But as of right now it’s little more than speculation.

Then there’s the problem of distribution etc. Obviously it makes sense that front line folks and highest risk individuals get it first. But people will be wary of something new and anti-vaxxers will be in full effect.

So even when a vaccine does get approved I think there are going to be a lot of roadblocks in front of it. I hope I’m wrong but with how quickly disinformation can spread, it could be an ugly slog.
I’m not an anti vaxxer, but I also don’t want to be a guinea pig on this one. I’ll wait till the 2nd wave to get my shot, let them get the kinks worked out.

The same jackasses that won’t wear masks will the same jackasses that won’t vaccinate.

I’m not an anti vaxxer, but I also don’t want to be a guinea pig on this one. I’ll wait till the 2nd wave to get my shot, let them get the kinks worked out.

And I absolutely understand being wary initially of a new vaccine. It’s also totally different than the folks who will always rail against a vaccine, even if it’s been proven effective and safe. Those are the folks who are causing issues and will cause issues from here on out with this virus.

Sadly, we just crossed 6 MILLION cases and 183,000 deaths. Some things just don't change under this administration.

Unless something changes we should be over 10 Million cases and 300,000 deaths before we can get rid of this Russian Puppet and Moron. (ie end of Jan)
What exactly is going to happen at the end of January to make this all go away??

What exactly is going to happen at the end of January to make this all go away??

Our savior says!!!!!

2GwE.gif

Here you go. Eight weeks of coronavirus task force reports and data that this administration never really acted on. Despite the evidence that it was out of control. Last week, the RNC downplayed it and made it seem like it's over even though 3k+ died during the convention. No plan or policy from this administration, just like everything else. Tell me again how terrible the supposed inaction in Benghazi was?

“The Task Force reports released today show the White House has known since June that coronavirus cases were surging across the country and many states were becoming dangerous ‘red zones’ where the virus was spreading fast,” said Chairman Clyburn. “Rather than being straight with the American people and creating a national plan to fix the problem, the President and his enablers kept these alarming reports private while publicly downplaying the threat to millions of Americans. As a result of the President’s failures, more than 58,000 additional Americans have died since the Task Force first started issuing private warnings, and many of the Task Force’s recommendations still have not been implemented. It is long past time that the Administration finally implement a national plan to contain this crisis, which is still killing hundreds of Americans each day.”

Reactions: BuilderBob6
Florida and Texas May have more cases, but they still have 10k less deaths than New York, because their governors aren’t incompetent.

There is no proof to anyone getting it a second time. If it can be gotten a second time it doesn’t really matter as the vaccine will be ready in early December.

Continue your regularly scheduled freakout though.

Wrong again Pete ! ! ha ha ha

https://www.newsweek.com/nevada-man-first-person-us-catch-coronavirus-twice-1528219

Open mouth - Insert Foot ! This really ISN'T your topic Pete !

Depends on whether Trump is still in power - IF . . he is, buckle up ! (We will have more deaths than world war II and the virus will last years)

IF Biden wins, . . it won't go away, but the cases will eventually go down and be manageable. One returns us to some type of normalcy and the other leads us into more chaos, strife and economic hardship.

Bottom line: We are NOT taking this seriously, but sooner or later we will.

Depends on whether Trump is still in power - IF . . he is, buckle up ! (We will have more deaths than world war II and the virus will last years)

IF Biden wins, . . it won't go away, but the cases will eventually go down and be manageable. One returns us to some type of normalcy and the other leads us into more chaos, strife and economic hardship.

Bottom line: We are NOT taking this seriously, but sooner or later we will.
How do you figure?

How do you figure?

EASY. Biden believes in using Science, so his staff will lead an effort which will systematically lower the cases. Trump KNOWS he has no clue and will just tell us we need HERD immunity.
In fact, he seems to be bringing in new people with that view.

If THAT is his plan for the virus, God help us ! ! We have one hell of a way to go . . and that's assuming you can't get it again. (and 1 Nevada person and one in Hong Kong seem to suggest otherwise)

There's also more evidence coming out about long-term health impacts. Shocker !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT