ADVERTISEMENT

Kostas

It has to do with the saga of his academic ineligibility for the second semester of his senior season (2003-2004 season). He was given an F in one of his classes and it had to with not taking his final (I believe Booker said he had to go back home to visit a sick family member but the prof wouldn't give him any leniency. It was something like that.) Yeah, they would have been better with him and probably made the NCAA Tournament, but I don't think they would have won the national title or anything like that: not talented enough guard play at the 1 (a recurring theme for much of the program's history) and they weren't that great at the 4's, either.

I love how you try to make a theme out of everything.

First off, the team was pretty darn good. They had just beat #2 Duke on a neutral court and later lost by 2 at a top 10 Oklahoma team. They also had 2 good guards in Lowe and Teague. If you remember, Lowe was not only a good player, but a great leader.

To count them out as not doing anything special, let alone making the tournament, that year is silly.

Reactions: PU52Chevy and punaj
It has to do with the saga of his academic ineligibility for the second semester of his senior season (2003-2004 season). He was given an F in one of his classes and it had to with not taking his final (I believe Booker said he had to go back home to visit a sick family member but the prof wouldn't give him any leniency. It was something like that.) Yeah, they would have been better with him and probably made the NCAA Tournament, but I don't think they would have won the national title or anything like that: not talented enough guard play at the 1 (a recurring theme for much of the program's history) and they weren't that great at the 4's, either.
WTF? This is just an awful post. You are trying to make up crap about Purdue that just isn't true. That was a hell-of-a-good team with great guards. Ken Lowe was on that team, and he was an excellent guard. Sorry, but it doesn't seem to fit with the current, self-pity party line of "we never get good guards because Keady and Painter don't like 'em". No need to make up sh1t to support this lie.

That Booker team walloped #1 or #2 Duke in the Great Alaska Shoot out, and was ranked pretty high until Booker flunked out. How many "factory schools" does that happen at? Imagine that... our star player ineligible due to grades. Wouldn't happen at UK or Duke, or OSU or MSU for that matter. UNC might be the worst. Obviously, we need to get our academic requirements in line with these better schools (sarcasm).

:cool:

I love how you try to make a theme out of everything.

First off, the team was pretty darn good. They had just beat #2 Duke on a neutral court and later lost by 2 at a top 10 Oklahoma team. They also had 2 good guards in Lowe and Teague. If you remember, Lowe was not only a good player, but a great leader.

To count them out as not doing anything special, let alone making the tournament, that year is silly.
Kenneth Lowe was also a great defender. DPOY in the B10 at least once.

Logically thinking and reading the signs, it seems like Kostas may be waiting on Biggie's decision to make a commitment to us. The LOI deadline was yesterday and KA didn't make a move (not that is mandatory, but it is a milestone). KA has stated that he wants to play the 4 and wants to play right away. If Biggie comes back, that's not going to happen. But if he leaves, however? I could be wrong, but I think we are still the only official visit KA has made and a lot of the other schools of interest have full rosters now. We'll see, but I think we're going to end up with Biggie or KA (IMO).

Reactions: nagemj02
What are the chances we end up with Biggie and Kostas?

What kind of leverage does Kostas have anyway? What high major program can he "play right away" anyway?

There's no way he's a 1 and done player anyway, so if he comes to Purdue he could be the first guy off the bench and backup the 3 and 4 spots and he can start next year when Biggie is likely gone.

WTF? This is just an awful post. You are trying to make up crap about Purdue that just isn't true. That was a hell-of-a-good team with great guards. Ken Lowe was on that team, and he was an excellent guard. Sorry, but it doesn't seem to fit with the current, self-pity party line of "we never get good guards because Keady and Painter don't like 'em". No need to make up sh1t to support this lie.

That Booker team walloped #1 or #2 Duke in the Great Alaska Shoot out, and was ranked pretty high until Booker flunked out. How many "factory schools" does that happen at? Imagine that... our star player ineligible due to grades. Wouldn't happen at UK or Duke, or OSU or MSU for that matter. UNC might be the worst. Obviously, we need to get our academic requirements in line with these better schools (sarcasm).

Mathboy, you are delusional and come off as overly emotional. They played very well against Duke but it was one game. They were good but not great. Booker was still playing when they lost at Oklahoma and then to a very average SMU team at home. I'm putting you back on ignore because you don't bring much to the table other than overreactions and blind homerism.

Last edited:
Mathboy, you are delusional and come off as overly emotional. They played very well against Duke but it was one game. They were good but not great. Booker was still playing when they lost at Oklahoma and then to a very average SMU team at home. I'm putting you back on ignore because you don't bring much to the table other than overreactions and blind homerism.
I find Mathboy to be one of the more reasonable long-time posters and generally a peacemaker on the board. He's called me out a few times for things that I post.

Ignore? Really? Seems you don't handle very well opinions contrary to your own. But somehow I think he will survive.

I find Mathboy to be one of the more reasonable long-time posters and generally a peacemaker on the board. He's called me out a few times for things that I post.

Ignore? Really? Seems you don't handle very well opinions contrary to your own. But somehow I think he will survive.
Agree. Mathboy is hands down one of the more knowledgable posters on here. Calling him emotional and then ignoring him because he calls you out on a post you make is silly.

He's done to me in the past and was right to do at the time.

What are the chances we end up with Biggie and Kostas?

What kind of leverage does Kostas have anyway? What high major program can he "play right away" anyway?

There's no way he's a 1 and done player anyway, so if he comes to Purdue he could be the first guy off the bench and backup the 3 and 4 spots and he can start next year when Biggie is likely gone.

The issue now is that Marquette has come calling for Kostas. It would appear that with Florida and St. Johns dropping out, it put Purdue in a great position...but Marquette is a home school for the kid and I wouldn't blame him for going there to play. It truly hope that Coach Painter can get the kid down to campus because I believe he would really benefit from playing against guys like Smotherman, Vince, and Biggie for a minimum of a year before taking on a larger role for the team. More than likely, if Vince makes a jump this season, he will leave for the NBA as a fringe first rounder and Biggie will probably go as well (pending he comes back). That opens up a lot of playing time for an athletic 6'9 wing player to come in and be a presence in the B1G at a high major school. If not, he will be a player I will keep an eye on from afar because he is such an intriguing prospect...especially if he ends up growing another inch or two!

He has some of the same blindly-support-Purdue-at-all-costs-even-when-things-obviously-need-to-be-changed-or-improved views that you do so that doesn't surprise me. He's typically more extreme about it. I don't like some opinions contrary to my own but I don't mind if someone can actually make good points on their views without always resorting to insults as their rebuttal. I don't believe that he explains his viewpoints in a very mature or thought-out manner (emotional reactions would be a better description) and I generally just don't think he's very knowledgeable or accurate in his assessments about all things Purdue.

Last edited:
Agree. Mathboy is hands down one of the more knowledgable posters on here. Calling him emotional and then ignoring him because he calls you out on a post you make is silly.

I disagree. He's had these same type of reactions repeatedly over the last few years and I just don't think he has any substance to back up his opinions.

I disagree. He's had these same type of reactions repeatedly over the last few years and I just don't think he has any substance to back up his opinions.
And that is your right to disagree. You just might be in the minority in your view and that is okay.

I actually think your posts are generally level headed as well, even if I don't always agree ;)

I don't have a problem with either mathboy or Nagem. Now that BBG leaves me scratching my head often. ;) One of the things about a board like this is having an ignore button lets you pick and choose who you want in your circle of posters and who you can't tolerate. I'd bet few of us have the same posters on ignore other than the obvious trolls. Like in life one will tolerate a lot more from some than others and this board is no different than that.

I thought I was the most knowledgable poster here? (Lenniel)

Alright that is it. You have left me no choice that if we ever meet in person I have to buy you a beer. You've been "warned". :D
That might be arranged. As an occasional traveling man. Looking forward to next spring when I become a man of leisure!!!

Reactions: BBG
Nag, I usually enjoy reading your posts. You called me delusional, and I stand as guilty! However, I would use the term "optimistic" rather than "delusional", but that is just a matter of perspective.

I objected to the post, not you. I try not to call people names unless they truly exhibit that they are trolls. You certainly do not fit that description. I went back and reread my post and no where in it did I call you names. Sorry you need to put me on "Ignore". I guess it might be the best way to keep any conflicting facts or opinions from getting in your way. You are welcome to control your world anyway that suits you.

You see, I thought your post about the Booker/Ken Lowe team was off base, and sounded way too much like you were revising history to fit the current minority criticism of Painter and his guards. It struck my BS alarm, so I objected to your post, and not to you as a poster. Big difference.

By the way, I have never found a poster on this board that I put on "ingnore", and there have been some real stinkers over the years.

Last edited:
Nag, I usually enjoy reading your posts. You called me delusional, and I stand as guilty! However, I would use the term "optimistic" rather than "delusional", but that is just a matter of perspective.

I objected to the post, not you. I try not to call people names unless they truly exhibit that they are trolls. You certainly do not fit that description. I went back and reread my post and no where in it did I call you names. Sorry you need to put me on "Ignore". I guess it might be the best way to keep any conflicting facts or opinions from getting in your way. You are welcome to control your world anyway that suits you.

You see, I thought you post about the Booker/Ken Lowe team was off base, and sounded way too much like you were revising history to fit the current minority criticism of Painter and his guards. It struck my BS alarm, so I objected to your post, and not to you as a poster. Big difference.

By the way, I have never found a poster on this board that I put on "ingnore", and there have been some real stinkers over the years.

I too have never put anyone on ignore as I always want to challenge my thoughts...not that I always change my thoughts, but if I cannot defend them..then perhaps i should change them? My thoughts many times go to basketball in general what I consider advantages and disadvantages with different approaches and they were not formed the last few years... :)

ok I will be the funny guy.....

Did someone say something?

I have you all on ignore.....ha ha I kid.....just the IU homers.

I try to be level headed but emotional when it comes to Chris "The Big Easy" Reid and J. Taylor.....

I love blue collar give it all hustle guys.....

OH did I mention I think Taylor will break out this year? Ha Ha.

Better than talking about BBIQ or Sauce.....

Boiler Up!

He has some of the same blindly-support-Purdue-at-all-costs-even-when-things-obviously-need-to-be-changed-or-improved views that you do so that doesn't surprise me. He's typically more extreme about it. I don't like some opinions contrary to my own but I don't mind if someone can actually make good points on their views without always resorting to insults as their rebuttal. I don't believe that he explains his viewpoints in a very mature or thought-out manner (emotional reactions would be a better description) and I generally just don't think he's very knowledgeable or accurate in his assessments about all things Purdue.
Yeah sure but if you ignore everyone who makes emotional-long winded-inaccurate-overly biased in any given direction-insulting-blowhard posts your list will have maybe two people showing on it. Oh hell you can't see this one either!. Making no judgements either way guys...just having fun. Save ignore for trailer trolls.

Reactions: mathboy
He has some of the same blindly-support-Purdue-at-all-costs-even-when-things-obviously-need-to-be-changed-or-improved views that you do so that doesn't surprise me.
LOL! Now THAT is an over the top emotional response. Just because someone doesn't join the whine-fest and publicly demand that people be fired when a basketball team fails to reach a Final Four, you assign that label to them? Hyperbole, thy name is nagemj02.

Reactions: BuilderBob6
Been gone from the board for awhile and thought I would come see what's been going on since I'm having new Shaw carpet put down today. Yep, 20 year guarantee not to buckle. I might be dead before it buckles. My wife hates buckles and points at them frequently....so I hate buckles too.

Anyway, this thread is like a tasty juicy burger, dripping of world changing opinions along with the extra dills. There is the addictive name-calling, ignore-threatening postings I remember fondly and cherished. I'm back. I missed you guys but you're all nuts....

but then again, aren't we all? We are Purdue fans. Perpetual Hope. So there! Buckle-up Boilers!

Been gone from the board for awhile and thought I would come see what's been going on since I'm having new Shaw carpet put down today. Yep, 20 year guarantee not to buckle. I might be dead before it buckles. My wife hates buckles and points at them frequently....so I hate buckles too.

Anyway, this thread is like a tasty juicy burger, dripping of world changing opinions along with the extra dills. There is the addictive name-calling, ignore-threatening postings I remember fondly and cherished. I'm back. I missed you guys but you're all nuts....

but then again, aren't we all? We are Purdue fans. Perpetual Hope. So there! Buckle-up Boilers!

Here comes trouble:) Glad you're back Gem!

ish_got_real_003.gif

LOL! Now THAT is an over the top emotional response. Just because someone doesn't join the whine-fest and publicly demand that people be fired when a basketball team fails to reach a Final Four, you assign that label to them? Hyperbole, thy name is nagemj02.

Not really, it's more like an accurate description because you constantly defend Painter, even when it's obvious he's made some dumb decisions (in games, on the recruiting trail, etc.). You refuse to acknowledge that he should be held accountable for making bad decisions.

Not really, it's more like an accurate description because you constantly defend Painter, even when it's obvious he's made some dumb decisions (in games, on the recruiting trail, etc.). You refuse to acknowledge that he should be held accountable for making bad decisions.
Wow. This where the "off with his head crowd" loses me. If every school fired a coach every time he made a recruiting mistake, or a poor decision in a game, you would actually have gotten your chance to show what you can do as a D1 head coach because Duke just fired there 4000th coach. Kwrezevski (sp?) was the best ever, he lasted two weeks.
The clown up in Minnesota has earned a good firing. Painter has done what Purdue has always done. If that's not good enough for you well, OK, I get wanting to be in the FF all the time, but I suggest you become a Kentucky, Duke, NC, or Kansas fan. Is my attitude defeatist? I think it's realistic. College sports is not played on a level playing field. It is grossly tilted toward the team's willing and able to spend huge amounts of money and / or to compromise their academic standards the most for a very small subset of their student body. Can it change? Sure. But I'm not gonna waist my time trying to fire a guy doing a decent job on the off chance that the next one might be better. He might be worse. If only we had an example of that scenario (Hazel).

Just a piece of advice, you know how you called others overly emotional? Yeah that is exactly how you are coming across now.

And quite honestly you are wrong about 4sure. Just because he and others that post similarly to him aren't on here yelling for Painter to be fired after every little thing, it doesn't mean they aren't critical. They just look at it differently than that.

It's one thing to critique a coach, it's entirely another thing to take it to the extreme like so many of the "experts" on here do.

Wow. This where the "off with his head crowd" loses me. If every school fired a coach every time he made a recruiting mistake, or a poor decision in a game, you would actually have gotten your chance to show what you can do as a D1 head coach because Duke just fired there 4000th coach. Kwrezevski (sp?) was the best ever, he lasted two weeks.
The clown up in Minnesota has earned a good firing. Painter has done what Purdue has always done. If that's not good enough for you well, OK, I get wanting to be in the FF all the time, but I suggest you become a Kentucky, Duke, NC, or Kansas fan. Is my attitude defeatist? I think it's realistic. College sports is not played on a level playing field. It is grossly tilted toward the team's willing and able to spend huge amounts of money and / or to compromise their academic standards the most for a very small subset of their student body. Can it change? Sure. But I'm not gonna waist my time trying to fire a guy doing a decent job on the off chance that the next one might be better. He might be worse. If only we had an example of that scenario (Hazel).

Did I say anywhere in my previous thread post that CMP should be fired? No, I didn't. Being held accountable can mean being held to a high-standard and not always getting a free pass from the fanbase when things don't go well. He's being paid $2.5 million a year for a reason and it's to be very successful in all the facets of coaching this program.

Just a piece of advice, you know how you called others overly emotional? Yeah that is exactly how you are coming across now.

And quite honestly you are wrong about 4sure. Just because he and others that post similarly to him aren't on here yelling for Painter to be fired after every little thing, it doesn't mean they aren't critical. They just look at it differently than that.

It's one thing to critique a coach, it's entirely another thing to take it to the extreme like so many of the "experts" on here do.

I'm going to disagree with you.

Where are the recent posts where I stated that he should be fired? I had some a couple of years ago but not anything recent. You can look through my post history if you want.

I have never seen any posts where mathboy or purdue4sure acknowledge that CMP is lacking in some areas or any posts where they take a good, hard look at the strengths and weaknesses of the coaching staff. It's mostly them making excuses for him (...he could improve in some areas BUT he's done so much for this program, etc.). That's not an even-handed assessment. You guys can't handle him being criticized. I think that's the root cause of this rift.

Last edited:
You guys can't handle him being criticized. I think that's the root cause of this rift.

And you would be 110% incorrect on that thinking. At least from my perspective anyway. As I have said a few times, I am indifferent on CMP right now simply because he isn't going anywhere and unless he has a terrible season again, is likely to be here for quite some time. Plus like pretty much all of us on here, I'm not in the huddle/practices/conversations CMP has with the players so I don't even bother trying to assume to know what he does and doesn't teach them. Which like I said is the same as all of us on here because our perception of things show on TV is probably not even close to what actually goes on.

I liken it to how I train my employees. I send them to training, I teach them how to do things but ultimately it is up to THEM to perform the tasks I give them. Now if I fail to give them the knowledge they need, then yep that is on me. Which is also one way I view CMP and the players... when they are on the court, it is their responsibility to execute the plays and make the shots.

I stand by what I said earlier as well. Just because you don't see me, as an example, calling CMP out a lot doesn't mean I don't when talking to other Boilers or say something while watching on TV. You assume it doesn't happen because YOU don't see it, but at least for me, I do point out issues when they happen. I just don't get up in arms over it because the next day it all changes anyway.

There is no coach anywhere that won't make a mistake here and there or miss on a recruit and the replacements once suggested for CMP were either no better or in some instances, WORSE. That is my biggest issue with those that have jumped off the cliff and have it already in their mind that CMP can't do anything right. They are rather blinded by their own agenda or whatever that they just don't see things in a realistic light anymore.

Now, do I think CMP is the best coach in the B1G? Nope. Is he mediocre? Nope. He is above average with a chance to be rather good. And no I am not "settling" with CMP I am being realistic for the school he works for and taking in to account the things he has done. We are known for things other than basketball and those things are ranked very high and that is what kids will come here for and that stigma/reputation we have often times over shadows our sports programs, whether we like it or not.

I won't keep going back and forth with you over this because it's pointless and won't go anywhere and I respect your posts. But I will leave you with this, you say that "we" are the root of this rift but who is at the center of all of this because they took issue with being called out? You my friend. People are going to counter your opinion and that is their right, just like it is yours to disagree.

Anyway, I wish you well as I exit this exchange.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT