ADVERTISEMENT

Jaden Ivey Commits to Purdue

FYI for the people who look into twitter likes... Hunter Dickinson liked Jaden Ivey's post. The only other commitment post he's liked in the past two weeks was from a Texas A&M commit

Coincidentally, Dickinson was here for the pre-season scrimmage along with Ivey, so it could simply be that they know each-other.

Maybe it's more than that, but I'm no expert in Twitter tea leaves.

Coincidentally, Dickinson was here for the pre-season scrimmage along with Ivey, so it could simply be that they know each-other.

Maybe it's more than that, but I'm no expert in Twitter tea leaves.

They made their first Official visit to Purdue together, so they must have some sort of relationship. Both have ties to Notre Dame I think too, so that weirdly might help us given Jaden turned them down already

So, as I look at how the roster is shaping up I see a lot of long, athletic shooters. Within a couple of years painter is going to have a team that can get out and run and score in a bunch of different ways. Ivey, Hunter, IT, Newman and SS. It is a little shorter, but his game is of the same mold.

So, as I look at how the roster is shaping up I see a lot of long, athletic shooters. Within a couple of years painter is going to have a team that can get out and run and score in a bunch of different ways. Ivey, Hunter, IT, Newman and SS. It is a little shorter, but his game is of the same mold.
I think how successful Carsen was has really changed the mindset of what Painter is trying to do. He has gone from the slow pound it inside with a big to a more dynamic and high scoring offense.

I've said it before and Carsen was not only a great player, he was a program changer and we're seeing evidence of that right now.

I think Painter is an adaptable and flexible coach. He can work what ever roster he gets into a competitive team. Got a matchup nightmare in the center like Haas, then pound it inside. Got a hot shooting guard, then game plan for that. I don’t think one is an evolution from the other. It just depends on who is on the team.

When I think of Painter these days I remember Bum Phillips' reason why he thought Don Shula was a great coach: "He will take his'n and beat yours'n and then take yours'n and beat his'n." (The coach will maximize the abilities of the skill set that he is given.)

Uhhh, I thought we were just discussing basketball... wasn't trying to be combative.
You weren't. I am just super sensitive when in this locale. My point was that you said Hunter, a two-guard, was fine playing PG this year as a response to my saying Ivery was a two-guard, so wouldn't affect the recruitment of a PG. That bore strong similarity to other posts (not from you) that soon turned into a major battle over something simple ... and among friends. We're GOOD!

Here's the SB Trib story. Fun read. I'm irrationally excited about this kid

Brohm and football with a hockey assist here. Be real nice to have both programs continue their trajectories. Purdue will be the place to go win

https://www.southbendtribune.com/sp...cle_776733c7-9585-5560-afb2-381995c795b0.html
“They were five seconds away from going to the Final Four. When I go there, we can make a run to the Final Four and maybe win it.”

Who says close doesn't count for anything!

Don’t forget Wheeler in that category.

"The run they had, they had a great year,” Ivey said Wednesday night. “It was mostly because of (head) coach (Matt) Painter. He’s a great coach. When you have a great coach like that, you can go anywhere."

This quote and the quote about being a few seconds away from the Final Four endear this guy to me. Perhaps he's just saying "all the right things," but I like that being a part of winning basketball at Purdue is foremost on his mind.

I think Painter is an adaptable and flexible coach. He can work what ever roster he gets into a competitive team. Got a matchup nightmare in the center like Haas, then pound it inside. Got a hot shooting guard, then game plan for that. I don’t think one is an evolution from the other. It just depends on who is on the team.
absolutely, Matt has never been able to get the pick of the litter and so he, like almost all coaches, adapts to the talent

When I think of Painter these days I remember Bum Phillips' reason why he thought Don Shula was a great coach: "He will take his'n and beat yours'n and then take yours'n and beat his'n." (The coach will maximize the abilities of the skill set that he is given.)
Old Bum had a way with words

Reactions: Dakota Girl
His perimeter shot (only 1 in video) looked better than another video. Can't tell if he has a bit of two handed shot or not, but I love the way he drives and finishes STRONG!!!

He, Newman, and IT were all shooting around post-scrimmage this fall, and his shot looked very good. He held the ball high & his off-hand wasn't unnecessarily involved. All three can fill it up.

He, Newman, and IT were all shooting around post-scrimmage this fall, and his shot looked very good. He held the ball high & his off-hand wasn't unnecessarily involved. All three can fill it up.
His video shows a better stroke as well (one shot is in another video)

compliments of old boiler's site

Last edited:
I wonder if that was after the video of his workout at ND ... in that video he both took the ball below his waist before bringing it up as well as throwing his left hand forward with the shot. I hope that was an early video . . . although I am stoked for him to join the Boilers ... !!!!!

Reactions: Beeazlebub
“They were five seconds away from going to the Final Four. When I go there, we can make a run to the Final Four and maybe win it.”

Who says close doesn't count for anything!

And then you have this statement...….

“The run they had, they had a great year,” Ivey said Wednesday night. “It was mostly because of (head) coach (Matt) Painter. He’s a great coach. When you have a great coach like that, you can go anywhere.

Reactions: tjreese
I wonder if that was after the video of his workout at ND ... in that video he both took the ball below his waist before bringing it up as well as throwing his left hand forward with the shot. I hope that was an early video . . . although I am stoked for him to join the Boilers ... !!!!!

Not sure about the timing. I know better than to trust memory too much when recalling details, but form is generally one of the first things I watch in a kid. Nothing struck me negatively at the time about his shot, in fact it was the opposite, but you're right about his left hand (in the video).

I get the left hand thing, but I also remember Reggie Miller.

I get the left hand thing, but I also remember Reggie Miller.
You never replied to anyone, but think maybe it was do dah day? Anyway, results are the final say. However...make NO mistake doing the wrong things prevent each from reaching their potential. There are reasons (Physically and in Physics) why proper technique is important. Not seeing players for a while and trying to guess results by some number that can be attributed to not just the individual in question,but by the opposing players not seen can be misleading. Therefore, "MOST" people that don't look very well shooting a ball..probably don't shoot well. There are exceptions though...adn we call those exceptions.. :)

You never replied to anyone, but think maybe it was do dah day? Anyway, results are the final say. However...make NO mistake doing the wrong things prevent each from reaching their potential. There are reasons (Physically and in Physics) why proper technique is important. Not seeing players for a while and trying to guess results by some number that can be attributed to not just the individual in question,but by the opposing players not seen can be misleading. Therefore, "MOST" people that don't look very well shooting a ball..probably don't shoot well. There are exceptions though...adn we call those exceptions.. :)

It was somewhat a response to do dah day and others questioning his technique...and me pointing out the obvious that there are always exceptions :). I wish every Purdue player looked like Rick Mount shooting the ball.

Reactions: Schnelk
I think how successful Carsen was has really changed the mindset of what Painter is trying to do. He has gone from the slow pound it inside with a big to a more dynamic and high scoring offense.

I've said it before and Carsen was not only a great player, he was a program changer and we're seeing evidence of that right now.
Wait - are you saying CMP made the right decision to not bench our best player when he hit his shooting slump?

https://purdue.rivals.com/news/purdue-commit-jaden-ivey-off-to-outstanding-start-to-spring

Ivey went for 28 on a night when they didn’t have J Powell or Pack. He did it all on offense and defense and lead them to a win. Getting that commitment before the EYBL started up was crucial. K Powell has been stacking up offers, it may be time to put some pressure on Carlson and just offer Powell now.

As for other teammates, I don’t think Painter is actively recruiting Davis, but if Davis indicates he would decommit I think he would/should be all over him. His play style matches what Purdue currently has perfectly. Also wouldn’t hate adding Pack the PG of the future. Dude can ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT