ADVERTISEMENT

Jaden Ivey Commits to Purdue

Well, if Purdue has 2 scholarships left and one is for Dickinson, then I think he meant Painter would want Cryer first.
Yeah but Carlson is a true 4 who is versatile. Maybe Painter believes if he misses on Carlson his fall back is in 2021 with Furst.

Reactions: Boilermaker24
Would like to know Ivey's vertical. Gotta be up there. Wheeler-esque maybe?

He didn't look like that type of player. He can jump but stays in good control. I didnt know he was a coach's son but you could tell. Very smart, made right play, sees the court. If he holds at 40 percent from 3, he'll be real good.
I like that quote from brey. Better than Jackson would be real nice.

"Demetrius Jackson went to Mishawaka as well. Brey says he expects Ivey to be even better than Jackson was. "he's as pure of a guard as you get, mindset wise"

Brey expects Ivey to be better than Jackson? Jackson was an ESPN top 25 recruit who led ND to the Elite Eight twice, and declared early to become a 2nd round NBA draft pick.

Jackson was a 6'1 PG

Ivey is 6'4, and only turned 17 a couple months ago so may not be done growing. Haha, he was born the same year IU last progressed past the Sweet 16.

He has an Octeus type physique. Has all the tools physically and mentally to be the next great Boiler guard

Great article about him
https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...-2020-basketball-recruiting-radar/2907455002/

Last edited:
"Demetrius Jackson went to Mishawaka as well. Brey says he expects Ivey to be even better than Jackson was. "he's as pure of a guard as you get, mindset wise"

Brey expects Ivey to be better than Jackson? Jackson was an ESPN top 25 recruit who led ND to the Elite Eight twice, and declared early to become a 2nd round NBA draft pick.

Jackson was a 6'1 PG

Ivey is 6'4, and only turned 17 a couple months ago so may not be done growing. He has an Octeus type physique. Has all the tools physically and mentally to be the next great Boiler guard

Great article about him
https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...-2020-basketball-recruiting-radar/2907455002/

I thought coaches weren't allowed to comment on recruits until they sign. This is a violation, no??

Pretty confident he’ll be ranked before all is said and done. Dude is going to blow up IMO.

Over at the Butler forum, posters watched Ivey play against another Butler recruit. Zeb Jackson, ranked #56 nationally by 247. These two guarded each other, and came off equals. Ivey's team won.

Yeah, doesn't matter where he is ranked now. I am guessing Ivey will finish his college career as one of the top 50 players of his class

Last edited:
I heard some guys talking in the background about a minute in and they said a very familiar name and one I hadn’t heard in a while. Todd Abernathy. I went to school with him and he had twin brothers that were on the team back when I was a freshman in high school. His dad played ball too, Tom Abernathy, so he had a lot of expectations. I think he is head coach at Trinity college now. Not sure if anybody else remembers those names. Todd played for Old miss 03-07. Just thought I would share my little flashback. Carry on.
Tom, ironically, was from the same area as Jaden Ivey. Todd was a very good player...want to say he was at Heritage Christian? His older brothers were solid players as well...went out west to play, but, came back to the Midwest to finish I am pretty sure.

I thought coaches weren't allowed to comment on recruits until they sign. This is a violation, no??

Think its a private conversation Brey had with an acquaintance who then posted it on the IU board

After to talking to Brey for a 20 min session the other day, his assessment of Jaden is that he is a much more polished guard than what Demetrius was because he sees the game as a true guard with amazing court sense, whereas Demetrius was always a very talented player caught up in his own head, and never truly grasped the essence of the guard spot. He also said he expects IU to offer Jaden in the future as well. The coach at Marian has been blessed over the last 10 years with players like Jackson, Devin Cannady(Princeton) and now Jaden Ivey...which he feels confident in saying that he will be the best of the 3. The Marian coach was also an assistant under Hecklinski at Anderson(the wigwam)back in the 90’s...and now they’re both coaches in the same city(Mishawaka)

On a side note...he(Brey)also said he expects Brooks to be a done deal to IU. And that IU is in the same boat as his program because of the youth and being forced into the fire too soon, but that it bodes well for the future by having to use these underclassmen so much. He also said that it’s a very difficult situation bringing in a one and done player and expecting a savior in this day and age, and that’s why he avoids those kids because it disrupts continuity in the long run. He just said that he will take a team of 21-22 year olds every year and tries to structure it that way, and that this is how he has been able to beat Duke 5 Times and some of the other programs with a multitude of young phenoms.

Jackson was a 6'1 PG

Ivey is 6'4, and only turned 17 a couple months ago so may not be done growing. Haha, he was born the same year IU last progressed past the Sweet 16.

He has an Octeus type physique. Has all the tools physically and mentally to be the next great Boiler guard

Great article about him

That 2020 team is starting to look very good.

Well, if Purdue has 2 scholarships left and one is for Dickinson, then I think he meant Painter would want Cryer first.
I think Painter will over recruit this class and take four. I doubt both Haarms and Eastern return for their senior seasons. My gut says he wants Hunter Dickson, and some combo of Carlson, Cryer, Christie, Walton or the kid from Pennsylvania whose name is eluding me.

Pretty much what i suspected. Sounds very talented and will most likely be ranked when rivals is updated. Always like stealing players from instate programs as well too.

I heard some guys talking in the background about a minute in and they said a very familiar name and one I hadn’t heard in a while. Todd Abernathy. I went to school with him and he had twin brothers that were on the team back when I was a freshman in high school. His dad played ball too, Tom Abernathy, so he had a lot of expectations. I think he is head coach at Trinity college now. Not sure if anybody else remembers those names. Todd played for Old miss 03-07. Just thought I would share my little flashback. Carry on.
Abernethy seems to be a very difficult name to spell for many people.

[QUOTE="BoilerAbroad, post: 2184815, member/]
My gut says he wants Hunter Dickson, and some combo of Carlson, Cryer, Christie, Walton or the kid from Pennsylvania whose name is eluding me.[/QUOTE]

Morton?

Over at the Butler forum, posters watched Ivey play against another Butler recruit. Zeb Jackson, ranked #56 nationally by 247. These two guarded each other, and came off equals. Ivey's team won.

Yeah, doesn't matter where he is ranked now. I am guessing Ivey will finish his college career as one of the top 50 players of his class
I dont know if he will crack top 50. But his length, athleticism and shooting makes him definitely a ranked player. Current rankings mostly include play through last summer AAU, and that was before he started blowing up. I fully expect him to start climbing up the rankings after this summer. He had a good school year too.

You’re talking about the in-home with Cryer? I sort of get your point but would probably argue based on number of times the staff has seen Carlson play that he is just as much of a priority.

We might agree to disagree here.
I am fine with that. I DO agree that a great 4 is highly desirable.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

Jackson was a 6'1 PG

Great article about him

Great article!!! But I’m pretty sure that will be the last one we see from the IU Star now that he’s a Purdue Commit...

Hunter has the same measurables and was a high school SG. Now he's backing up Nojel.
OK< and clearly Ivey has great ball-handling, as a SG should. I think it's more the role they are recruited to fill. Cryer won't see Ivey as in his way at PU. Ivey is recruited as an SG (as CE was) No one defines Ivey as a PG. CE brought the ball up a lot. Even with Nojel on the floor.

Hunter has the skills and was needed. We didn't have another designated PG . . . This is somewhat of a semantic debate, which I have no interest in - especially with another boilermaker. No Ivey will have no affect on Cryer's decision. That was the original question that you asked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT