ADVERTISEMENT

Hydroxychloroquine as COVID-19 Treatment Update

I never said anything should have happened instantaneously. Nor did I imply we needed millions of test kits immediately.

I'm not trying to fight with you. What I'm really trying to say is that pointing fingers at this time is counterproductive to what we're trying to accomplish.

You said:
"The feds and states should have been working on testing capacity together instead of pawning it off on the other. Governors should have begun stockpiling supplies and equipment in February. We should have started planning earlier instead of emergency shutdowns, emergency orders for auto manufacturers to produce ventilators. Instead, we got caught with our pants down."

You were implying that people should have known what to do, before we really had a grasp on the scope/magnitude of the problem: "should have been working on testing capacity", "should have begun stockpiling supplies and equipment in February", "should have started planning earlier ". That was my point of contention. People wanted instant gratification, rather than knowing that it takes time to ramp up for an unexpected emergency.

There is such a wide variety of potential emergency situations that could occur, it's virtually impossible to stockpile all the equipment & supplies for EVERYTHING that we might encounter. If you could create such a stockpile, you also have to realize that it needs to be stored somewhere and virtually everything has a shelf life, so that stock would have to be replenished periodically, which adds to the logistical nightmare. Then, if it's a virus that we've never encountered before, it's still going to take time to develop, manufacture and distribute test kits and it's still going to take a year or more to create a vaccine.

Last edited:
Trying to get this back on track, one of the companies I have been following, has a HIV/oncology drug in trials that has been used as an emergency FDA drug on I think now 11 very sick Covid patients with pretty amazing results. The company's name is CytoDyn. It's stock trades on the OTC and roughly 3 million shares trade a day. Last Friday it went up to $1.31, and, after a lot of publicity this weekend, on the open today it shot up as high as $3.50 then back under $2.00 and now it's trading at $2.15. Incredibly almost 21,000,000 shares have traded today. That is more than Apple and TSLA combined.

Trump brought up ratings after a CNN reporter lied about what Trump said in a question. Trump called him out on his lie and started talking about how those stations were talking about not showing anymore of his pressers. Trump said they changed their minds about that because of the ratings they got when they aired him. He said he was responsible for their ratings. Which is true.

As far as hoarding masks, this is a very real worry. If anyone has watched Holcomb’s pressers in Indiana, he refuses to answer how many masks and ventilators we have in the state. Many think this is because he doesn’t want to get rid of any in case we need them in the near future. Understandable. I’m sure many states are doing this.

Thanks. Context matters.

Due to Trump's compete disregard for truth, he normally can't be considered a credible source, but right from the horses mouth. Apparently you're not following the news closely enough, or more likely you're only following the "news" which is actually straight propaganda.

And the video of Trump not understanding why a hospital would need more masks during a pandemic.

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-cuomo-masks-hospital-doctors-stealing-new-york-1494949
Here is article about NY early in March. Kinda sounds like Trump BUT, it is your esteemed mayor DeBlasio. Moral to the story. EVERYONE screwed up from BOTH parties including most of us that didn't understand the issues early on. https://www.yahoo.com/news/the-mist...er-of-the-coronavirus-epidemic-090040375.html

There are a lot of high-profile physicians on the news that seem to be going out of their way to dampen any hope that this drug helps in any way. Scientific caution or concern about hoarding and improper dosages?

I think it's a combination of they're probably trying to keep people from getting false hope that a cure has been found, until the clinical tests verify that it has, and they're trying to help people maintain their social distancing, which would be in danger, if they got the false hope of a cure.

Probably also trying to keep morons from ingesting their fish tank cleaner, since the name sounds something like name of the beneficial drug.

Trump waited months before doing anything...it's not bullshit
This is an uninformed statement. I have managed many incidents that required activation of a DRP or BCP plan and this follows the pattern of all of them. They all start with upper management denial, while the lower level people go to work on the job of prevention and start collecting enough data to convince management there’s a problem.

It’s very similar to what happened in swine flu under Obama and this is not a swipe at Obama. This is the way things are.

And as to people saying “we should have been prepared “, they’re equally uninformed. You cannot possibly create a test and a vaccine for a virus you’ve not seen. You plan for the eventualities you can anticipate, but you never have enough money to invest in them all.

If we had begun shutting down the country before the data said it was necessary there would have been zero cooperation from the American people. Just cutting off travel from China was called racist because the full impact was not yet obvious. Just asking people to practice social distancing was resisted at first.

Next, Trump is going to give the ok to go back to work in a couple weeks for all but high risk people, while still practicing social distancing. People will still catch the virus and die. They would have died anyway because most of us will eventually be exposed, but that won’t matter. There will still be criticism that he did it too soon.

Trying to get this back on track, one of the companies I have been following, has a HIV/oncology drug in trials that has been used as an emergency FDA drug on I think now 11 very sick Covid patients with pretty amazing results. The company's name is CytoDyn. It's stock trades on the OTC and roughly 3 million shares trade a day. Last Friday it went up to $1.31, and, after a lot of publicity this weekend, on the open today it shot up as high as $3.50 then back under $2.00 and now it's trading at $2.15. Incredibly almost 21,000,000 shares have traded today. That is more than Apple and TSLA combined.

I found CYDY last Monday and bought 1000 @$0.99. The drug they created was "Leronlimab", which they tested on 7 patients that were intubated in an ICU. 2 of them responded well, fairly quickly and were extubated and removed from the ICU. I guess I'll have to open my account and see how it's doing. Thanks for the good news.

If we are allowed to play "after the fact" political BS, Governor Cuomo made the single worst decision (in terms of death rate) in entire United States during this health emergency. Yet CNN allows Pelosi and former Obama officials on their air claiming Trump is essentially responsible for people dying. These same officials have overwhelmingly praise for Cuomo's handling, as does CNN analysts.

For the record the record I think both Cuomo and Trump have done about as good as can be expected under the circumstances. The balance between health and shutting down the economy for a once in a 100 year event is an incredibly complicated situation. But for those that think Trump has handled this terribly by not acting soon enough, its literally impossible to be intellectually honest without leveling the same charge at Cuomo.

Everyone in government screwed up. Dems, Republicans, everybody. Too many governors complaining. Too many people pointing fingers (me included).

Fact is, everyone dropped the ball by wasting time arguing about who is going to do what and who is going to pay for all these things.

The feds and states should have been working on testing capacity together instead of pawning it off on the other. Governors should have begun stockpiling supplies and equipment in February. We should have started planning earlier instead of emergency shutdowns, emergency orders for auto manufacturers to produce ventilators. Instead, we got caught with our pants down.

I hope we learn. I hope we all can put our politics aside and get through this together.

In all critical incidents it’s clear what you should have done after the fact.

I know reading is difficult for you...
Started in April, emergency declared by Obama in October, millions of people in the United States have been infected, at least 20,000 have been hospitalized and more than 1,000 have died, said Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Hoosierdog1 said there was 1,000 deaths and you disputed it...
No, the issue was that he claimed that nothing was done for 6 months and 1,000 deaths. That is not true at all that nothing was done, like it was ignored. Completely false.

Reactions: Monkey Pox
If we are allowed to play "after the fact" political BS, Governor Cuomo made the single worst decision (in terms of death rate) in entire United States during this health emergency. Yet CNN allows Pelosi and former Obama officials on their air claiming Trump is essentially responsible for people dying. These same officials have overwhelmingly praise for Cuomo's handling, as does CNN analysts.

For the record the record I think both Cuomo and Trump have done about as good as can be expected under the circumstances. The balance between health and shutting down the economy for a once in a 100 year event is an incredibly complicated situation. But for those that think Trump has handled this terribly by not acting soon enough, its literally impossible to be intellectually honest without leveling the same charge at Cuomo.

i pretty much agree with the above. I thought Trump downplayed the significance of the virus (maybe trying to lead the public into not being afraid) which was bad. I thought Cuomo challenging Blasio about shutting down NYC around 3/17 was terrible, but hindsight is 20/20. What I could not understand was why Ohio was shutting down well in advance of high numbers (great job DeWine!), and yet NYC was still open for businesses. Two weeks later NYC is the catalyst for more cases in several other states.

Last edited:
Due to Trump's compete disregard for truth, he normally can't be considered a credible source, but right from the horses mouth. Apparently you're not following the news closely enough, or more likely you're only following the "news" which is actually straight propaganda.

And the video of Trump not understanding why a hospital would need more masks during a pandemic.

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-cuomo-masks-hospital-doctors-stealing-new-york-1494949
So Trump was wrong in pushing the malaria treatment in advance and closing the borders to China and Europe? All of which have helped. Give it a rest and go back to the General Discussion Board

This is an uninformed statement. I have managed many incidents that required activation of a DRP or BCP plan and this follows the pattern of all of them. They all start with upper management denial, while the lower level people go to work on the job of prevention and start collecting enough data to convince management there’s a problem.

It’s very similar to what happened in swine flu under Obama and this is not a swipe at Obama. This is the way things are.

And as to people saying “we should have been prepared “, they’re equally uninformed. You cannot possibly create a test and a vaccine for a virus you’ve not seen. You plan for the eventualities you can anticipate, but you never have enough money to invest in them all.

If we had begun shutting down the country before the data said it was necessary there would have been zero cooperation from the American people. Just cutting off travel from China was called racist because the full impact was not yet obvious. Just asking people to practice social distancing was resisted at first.

Next, Trump is going to give the ok to go back to work in a couple weeks for all but high risk people, while still practicing social distancing. People will still catch the virus and die. They would have died anyway because most of us will eventually be exposed, but that won’t matter. There will still be criticism that he did it too soon.
Very true! Great post!

Trump is going to give the ok to go back to work in a couple weeks for all but high risk people,
Trump hasn't told anyone they can't go back to work at all. It's the states doing that. Trump can say whatever he wants, but unless he's willing to pull the Guard in, he's not going to tell NY or CA or wherever what to do. He's been careful with the language to this point for this very reason. IMO, if you're sitting around waiting to hear what Trump does next to stop this, you're wasting your time because there's not much that's up to him right now. That said, the sooner he stops talking to reporters every day, the better off everyone will be IMO.

Reactions: GGT and LSLBoiler
So Trump was wrong in pushing the malaria treatment in advance and closing the borders to China and Europe? All of which have helped.
Re: travel restrictions... the China travel restriction was a good move. The European travel restriction was smart, but poorly executed (arbitrarily didn't include the UK; gave essentially 3 days warning and didn't restrict travel of US citizens as though they were immune or something).

Re: "malaria treatment", I'm not sure how you can say at this point that it has helped. Maybe it will, but there's not enough evidence to declare one way or the other. The article LSL cited is the CEO of the company that wants to sell it saying it's our best hope. This is like Elon Musk getting up and saying that everyone needs to buy a Tesla to stop climate change.

Re: travel restrictions... the China travel restriction was a good move. The European travel restriction was smart, but poorly executed (arbitrarily didn't include the UK; gave essentially 3 days warning and didn't restrict travel of US citizens as though they were immune or something).

Re: "malaria treatment", I'm not sure how you can say at this point that it has helped. Maybe it will, but there's not enough evidence to declare one way or the other. The article LSL cited is the CEO of the company that wants to sell it saying it's our best hope. This is like Elon Musk getting up and saying that everyone needs to buy a Tesla to stop climate change.
Sorry, but you’re off base about the motivation of Dr Vas. The compound in question is no longer patent-protected and NVS has already donated 30 million doses

Numerous doctors have used Hydroxochloroquine with good effect. I've seen first person interviews with at least 4 people, who were essentially on their death beds, who used it and appear to have recovered completely. Until the formal clinical trials, which show the efficacy of the drug, are completed, I doubt that you will see any doctors saying that it is a cure, but I have seen a couple doctors say that if they had CV-19 that they wouldn't hesitate to take Hydroxochloroquine. The evidence is mounting.

Reactions: herrli and BSIT
You said:
"The feds and states should have been working on testing capacity together instead of pawning it off on the other. Governors should have begun stockpiling supplies and equipment in February. We should have started planning earlier instead of emergency shutdowns, emergency orders for auto manufacturers to produce ventilators. Instead, we got caught with our pants down."

You were implying that people should have known what to do, before we really had a grasp on the scope/magnitude of the problem: "should have been working on testing capacity", "should have begun stockpiling supplies and equipment in February", "should have started planning earlier ". That was my point of contention. People wanted instant gratification, rather than knowing that it takes time to ramp up for an unexpected emergency.

There is such a great variety of potential emergency situations that could occur, it's virtually impossible to stockpile all the equipment & supplies for EVERYTHING that we might encounter. If you could create such a stockpile, you also have to realize that it needs to be stored somewhere and virtually everything has a shelf life, so that stock would have to be replenished periodically, which adds to the logistical nightmare. Then, if it's a virus that we've never encountered before, it's still going to take time to develop, manufacture and distribute test kits and it's still going to take a year or more to create a vaccine.
We have allies in Asia, such as South Korea and Japan, that have been testing since February. We provide them with millions/billions in defense - the least we could have done was ask about information on testing and the virus. This way, it would not have been unexpected as you say.

We have fought viruses for a hundred years and we already a playbook: masks, gloves, PPE, testing. It doesn't take a lot of planning to start buying these things in February - not millions at once, but at least start procuring them before they are needed. They also don't take up much room when folded and stacked. While they do have a shelf life, they are typically years, so long as they stay dry and sterile in their packaging. These are things used everyday in surgeries, and procedures and other communicable desease treatments. They would have been used eventually and not wasted.

The vaccine is a long way away. No doubt. But I don't think anyone is blaming anyone for not immediately having a vaccine.

Trump hasn't told anyone they can't go back to work at all. It's the states doing that. Trump can say whatever he wants, but unless he's willing to pull the Guard in, he's not going to tell NY or CA or wherever what to do. He's been careful with the language to this point for this very reason. IMO, if you're sitting around waiting to hear what Trump does next to stop this, you're wasting your time because there's not much that's up to him right now. That said, the sooner he stops talking to reporters every day, the better off everyone will be IMO.

I agree it’s up to the local, governments. And looking at the regional data it’s not going to be a one size fits all answer. But at some point he’s going to make the suggestion and whenever that is, there will be an element of risk.

ps.
I agree he should say as little as possible.

Of course. Hindsight is always 2020. All the more reason to learn from our mistakes - when you can see them clearly like you say.

We have allies in Asia, such as South Korea and Japan, that have been testing since February. We provide them with millions/billions in defense - the least we could have done was ask about information on testing and the virus. This way, it would not have been unexpected as you say.

We have fought viruses for a hundred years and we already a playbook: masks, gloves, PPE, testing. It doesn't take a lot of planning to start buying these things in February - not millions at once, but at least start procuring them before they are needed. They also don't take up much room when folded and stacked. While they do have a shelf life, they are typically years, so long as they stay dry and sterile in their packaging. These are things used everyday in surgeries, and procedures and other communicable desease treatments. They would have been used eventually and not wasted.

The vaccine is a long way away. No doubt. But I don't think anyone is blaming anyone for not immediately having a vaccine.
Do you actually think no one at CDC or NIH thought about contacting S Korea or Japan? Thats not true at all. By the way, WHO in late Jan was still saying there was no clear evidence yet that it was human-to-human transmission and yet still in late Jan was only saying a "moderate global risk assessment"

Reactions: BoilerMadness
So Trump was wrong in pushing the malaria treatment in advance and closing the borders to China and Europe? All of which have helped. Give it a rest and go back to the General Discussion Board
What does your post have to do with Boilermadness not being aware of Trump touting his ratings and also implying healthcare professionals are stealing masks? That was the post that I was relying to with Trump’s exact words.
Boilermadness apparently didn’t believe these things happened so I provided the information directly from the horses mouth.

Hope so! I hope Dr. Vas is the deferens.

giphy.gif

Do you actually think no one at CDC or NIH thought about contacting S Korea or Japan? Thats not true at all. By the way, WHO in late Jan was still saying there was no clear evidence yet that it was human-to-human transmission and yet still in late Jan was only saying a "moderate global risk assessment"
Yes, I believe someone at CDC, NIH contacted SKorea. But BoilerMadness said we didn't have a grasp on the scope/magnitude of the problem back then when SKorea was already aggressively testing. If he's right, then we didn't do our homework or didn't pay attention to what SKorea said.

The WHO is a joke. But once there was a global risk, even moderate, we should have started planning for the worst case scenario. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

These I hate Trump and he's stupid threads followed by, well, I think the opposite, are tiresome. I am guilty of it myself and am trying to refrain. I think both sides get that the other side is resolute in their respective feelings.
I found CYDY last Monday and bought 1000 @$0.99. The drug they created was "Leronlimab", which they tested on 7 patients that were intubated in an ICU. 2 of them responded well, fairly quickly and were extubated and removed from the ICU. I guess I'll have to open my account and see how it's doing. Thanks for the good news.
I have 32,000 shares.

An interesting sub-plot, not discussed yet on this board, is Michigan Gov. Whitmer’s decision to ban all use of hydrochloroquine in Covid-19 patients, and further to require all healthcare providers to report said use with threats of revoking medical licenses. So far, I have not seen an explanation, but she is being challenged about the decision. Michigan has it’s version of the “right to try” laws that would normally make these type of prescriptions possible.

It's often not even clear after long periods of careful study. But many people expect omniscience from their leaders. That is actually one way conversation of this crisis lines up nicely with sports, especially criticism of coaches.

Reactions: GGT and BoilerBF
Yes, I believe someone at CDC, NIH contacted SKorea. But BoilerMadness said we didn't have a grasp on the scope/magnitude of the problem back then when SKorea was already aggressively testing. If he's right, then we didn't do our homework or didn't pay attention to what SKorea said.

The WHO is a joke. But once there was a global risk, even moderate, we should have started planning for the worst case scenario. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.
Pretty much every western world government underestimated this ... you know why? Despite some really bad stuff in the past (H1N1, swine, etc), we’ve never had anything close to this impact our day to day life.

Trump has plenty of blame to take, but is it his fault Europe is a mess?

Reactions: LSLBoiler
Pretty much every western world government underestimated this ... you know why? Despite some really bad stuff in the past (H1N1, swine, etc), we’ve never had anything close to this impact our day to day life.

Trump has plenty of blame to take, but is it his fault Europe is a mess?
First of all, I never isolated Trump for blame in this thread, much less blame him for all of Europe. Where is that coming from?

He waited Months? As apposed to who? What were others doing? You do realize that the Dems had a nationally televised debate 3 weeks AFTER Trump banned all flights from China, and they never mentioned ONE single word about the virus!!! They had no plan or idea to do one single thing! In fact the media said his canceling of flights was racist and not PC!

Numerous doctors have used Hydroxochloroquine with good effect. I've seen first person interviews with at least 4 people, who were essentially on their death beds, who used it and appear to have recovered completely. Until the formal clinical trials, which show the efficacy of the drug, are completed, I doubt that you will see any doctors saying that it is a cure, but I have seen a couple doctors say that if they had CV-19 that they wouldn't hesitate to take Hydroxochloroquine. The evidence is mounting.
And ER doctors are taking it as a preventative too

Reactions: BoilerMadness
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT