ADVERTISEMENT

Hydroxychloroquine as COVID-19 Treatment Update

LSLBoiler

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 6, 2001
Ettingen, CH
This is confirmed by my wife. They got an update from the CEO over the weekend.

Novartis' malaria drug biggest hope against COVID-19, CEO says

Mar. 29, 2020 10:10 PM ET|About: Novartis AG (NVS)|By: Carl Surran, SA News Editor

In an interview with SonntagsZeitung, Novartis (NYSE:NVS) CEO Vas Narasimhan says pre-clinical studies in animals as well as the first data from clinical studies show that its hydroxychloroquine malaria drug kills the coronavirus.

Vas Narasimhan says the company is working with Swiss hospitals on possible treatment protocols for the clinical use of the drug, "but it's too early to say anything definitively."

The CEO says Novartis is recruiting patients for hydroxychloroquine in Europe and the U.S. for clinical studies and is in talks with regulatory authorities in the U.S. and Switzerland on whether the company will be granted rapid approval.

Novartis has pledged to donate 130M doses and is supporting clinical trials needed before the medicine, which Pres. Trump also has been promoting, can be approved for use against COVID-19.

Get it done quick as possible.
NVS wants to do clinical trials here in Switzerland where there are plenty of people already infected. Their entire 130 million pill inventory is in the US so the first challenge is getting it released and shipped over here which is being worked on at the moment.

Hopefully, given the seriousness of this pandemic, this can all be accelerated. Trials apparently began in the US late last week and France either has or will very shortly approve its use. India is already using it

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Monkey Pox
Not a Trump fan but...
China reported first cases 12/31, first death 1/11. Trump restricted travel to China 1/31. What, specifically, should Trump have done "months" earlier?
https://www.nytimes.com/article/coronavirus-timeline.html
Everyone in government screwed up. Dems, Republicans, everybody. Too many governors complaining. Too many people pointing fingers (me included).

Fact is, everyone dropped the ball by wasting time arguing about who is going to do what and who is going to pay for all these things.

The feds and states should have been working on testing capacity together instead of pawning it off on the other. Governors should have begun stockpiling supplies and equipment in February. We should have started planning earlier instead of emergency shutdowns, emergency orders for auto manufacturers to produce ventilators. Instead, we got caught with our pants down.

I hope we learn. I hope we all can put our politics aside and get through this together.

As Joe Rogan said...anyone in government could’ve stood up and said something and none of them did. They all have a platform to do it and none of them did before the President. That doesn’t make his timing right or him right that just means a lot of other people didn’t know enough about it either to sound the alarm about it.

Everyone in government screwed up. Dems, Republicans, everybody. Too many governors complaining. Too many people pointing fingers (me included).

Fact is, everyone dropped the ball by wasting time arguing about who is going to do what and who is going to pay for all these things.

The feds and states should have been working on testing capacity together instead of pawning it off on the other. Governors should have begun stockpiling supplies and equipment in February. We should have started planning earlier instead of emergency shutdowns, emergency orders for auto manufacturers to produce ventilators. Instead, we got caught with our pants down.

I hope we learn. I hope we all can put our politics aside and get through this together.

You do realize that things don't happen instantaneously, don't you?
You have to identify what you're dealing with, before you can develop test kits to test for it.
Test kits don't magically materialize overnight. Someone has to design them, make them and distribute them, where they're needed
It takes time to make millions of test kits.
It takes time to distribute millions of test kits.
We're in our third month of knowing that the Coronavirus exists and we're manufacturing millions of test kits and distributing them.
There is no reason for anyone to point fingers anywhere, since this has ramped up fairly quickly, considering that NONE of us knew that COVID-19 existed in December.
Unfortunately, the Chinese knew in November, but were trying to hide it.

As a side note, Vas Narasimhan is one of the brightest minds in the pharmaceutical industry. Very very intelligent man
My wife speaks very highly of Dr Vas, says he is inspirational. Imagine a Pharma company appointing a physician as CEO. BRILLIANT!

He’s first generation American, his parents moved to the States from India

Reactions: mjgboiler
My wife speaks very highly of Dr Vas, says he is inspirational. Imagine a Pharma company appointing a physician as CEO. BRILLIANT!

He’s first generation American, his parents moved to the States from India

Yep, grew up in NJ and went to Harvard medical school

Reactions: LSLBoiler
Trump talked about “ratings” and accused healthcare workers of hoarding masks - you can GFY

Did you actually hear him say that or were you told he said that on CNN or MSNBC? There is a huge difference.
If you actually heard that, can you please give us a link or date/time, when this was saidm so we can understand the context, because I follow the news fairly closely and never heard either of those things.

FYI, Gavin Newsom, (D), Governor of CA, who is hardly a fan of Trump, recently said that he and Trump talk regularly and Trump has been very helpful and given him everything that he's promised.

Reactions: mjgboiler
You do realize that things don't happen instantaneously, don't you?
You have to identify what you're dealing with, before you can develop test kits to test for it.
Test kits don't magically materialize overnight. Someone has to design them, make them and distribute them, where they're needed
It takes time to make millions of test kits.
It takes time to distribute millions of test kits.
We're in our third month of knowing that the Coronavirus exists and we're manufacturing millions of test kits and distributing them.
There is no reason for anyone to point fingers anywhere, since this has ramped up fairly quickly, considering that NONE of us knew that COVID-19 existed in December.
Unfortunately, the Chinese knew in November, but were trying to hide it.
I never said anything should have happened instantaneously. Nor did I imply we needed millions of test kits immediately.

I'm not trying to fight with you. What I'm really trying to say is that pointing fingers at this time is counterproductive to what we're trying to accomplish.

Reactions: BoilerMadness
Did you actually hear him say that or were you told he said that on CNN or MSNBC? There is a huge difference.
If you actually heard that, can you please give us a link or date/time, when this was saidm so we can understand the context, because I follow the news fairly closely and never heard either of those things.

FYI, Gavin Newsom, (D), Governor of CA, who is hardly a fan of Trump, recently said that he and Trump talk regularly and Trump has been very helpful and given him everything that he's promised.

Due to Trump's compete disregard for truth, he normally can't be considered a credible source, but right from the horses mouth. Apparently you're not following the news closely enough, or more likely you're only following the "news" which is actually straight propaganda.

And the video of Trump not understanding why a hospital would need more masks during a pandemic.

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-cuomo-masks-hospital-doctors-stealing-new-york-1494949

Last edited:
Reactions: Monkey Pox
Just because you are too stupid or brainwashed to understand what facts are, isn't a problem with the facts. That's a you problem.

March on, mindless little drone. You are a fine example of programming a child, since birth to march in lockstep with the Left and never have an original thought. Keep memorizing and reciting your talking points.
Left = Elite, Right = Evil.

That doesn't say anything at all to backup your point. Why is it so hard to get right wingers to use their brains?
I know reading is difficult for you...
Started in April, emergency declared by Obama in October, millions of people in the United States have been infected, at least 20,000 have been hospitalized and more than 1,000 have died, said Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Hoosierdog1 said there was 1,000 deaths and you disputed it...

Every time you point a finger, you have three pointing back at you. Someone had to say it.
Also, one of my mentors always said, "if we spend time casting blame, we won't have time to solve the problem".

Reactions: boileralum07

Trump brought up ratings after a CNN reporter lied about what Trump said in a question. Trump called him out on his lie and started talking about how those stations were talking about not showing anymore of his pressers. Trump said they changed their minds about that because of the ratings they got when they aired him. He said he was responsible for their ratings. Which is true.

As far as hoarding masks, this is a very real worry. If anyone has watched Holcomb’s pressers in Indiana, he refuses to answer how many masks and ventilators we have in the state. Many think this is because he doesn’t want to get rid of any in case we need them in the near future. Understandable. I’m sure many states are doing this.

There are a lot of high-profile physicians on the news that seem to be going out of their way to dampen any hope that this drug helps in any way. Scientific caution or concern about hoarding and improper dosages?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT