ADVERTISEMENT

Edey

I think you might have to gather that a bit but I think it may also be something CMP has alluded for a very long time: Tre can be a dominate PF if he chooses to be...he just needs to play with consistent high effort on both ends and get his weight into the range he can be successful there. If you were to play a lineup of Edey and Tre on the floor at one and with where Edey looks like on the glass right now, it would be a just utter riches on the glass for Purdue and something CMP might live with in terms of defensive schemes and shifts.

G: Hunter
G: Ivey
G: Newman
F: Tre
C: Edey

In that lineup, you have 2 high ability ball handlers who should be 30-35% 3pt shooters and Newman who may be a 35-40% shooter at some point in his career. You also have Purdue's likely two best players off the wing who can get into the lane and be 3 level scorers in Hunter and Ivey. That will give a lot of space for the big men, who both are high level passers out of the post (Tre being one of the best I've ever seen in a Purdue uniform) to get some real high/low post and forcing opposing teams into really bad rotations to find shooters and highly effective offensive rebounders inside already.

That's a lineup I would ONLY ever play against an opponent who has a PF who doesn't shoot particularly well OR doesn't have the ability to really put the ball on the floor. The other major key there is that those other three players are known to be really good defensive players OR at least are high effort defensive players. That's going to be needed in switches and rotations if Purdue tries to go that route with the bigs in at once.
Baloney...Williams is not a four, and never will be...

I think it may be more likely a look at starting both the bigs at once potentially at some points. That's an interesting take I would say NOBODY saw coming.
Between conditioning and foul trouble, I bet the 2 of them don’t average much more than 40 minutes combined.

Between conditioning and foul trouble, I bet the 2 of them don’t average much more than 40 minutes combined.
Trevion's conditioning improved markedly from his FR to SO season. Expect similar improvement this year.

Down the stretch, Trevion consistently played 23-27 mpg (minutes per game, not miles per gallon...;)).

With the Haarms transfer, and with Trevion now a JR, expect him to average at least 30mpg. That's not a very big jump.

The real wildcard is Edey. Is he playing as well as Painter is letting on? Will he be able to contribute? Can he play reasonable D at the P5 level?

Additionally, how well do we play when we "go small"? If our outside game is improved, this might have a significant impact on total PT for the two.

What you heard was motivational coach speak. Trevian hears he needs to keep working hard because the big kid is coming on. And Zach hears a nice compliment to motivate him to keep busting butt.
No he won't beat out TW.

Understand what you're saying, but I think you'll be hard-pressed to make that claim about Matt Painter. What you see is what you get. He doesn't play public motivational games. He calls it like he sees it.

Understand what you're saying, but I think you'll be hard-pressed to make that claim about Matt Painter. What you see is what you get. He doesn't play public motivational games. He calls it like he sees it.

Agree here. Candid to a fault sometimes with Matt Painter - but definitely a "no games/nonsense, what-you-see- is-what-you-get" attitude and constructive criticism. Basketball is a priority, and he'll do whatever he can to further his players' careers on and off the court, but it's also up to them to do what it takes to take full advantage of the opportunities. I also think he's started to firewall off some of the negative recruiting, and more deep tournament runs wouldn't hurt that.

JMHO with a slight Black & Old Gold glasses tint.

in today's game, what is a "4"?

Aeih.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Purdue85
Yes.....Young Mr. Edey with the "hockey" assist (was that Sasha Stefanovic) with the feed?). Also, Wheels looked better on that shot to me than most of last season....hoping for a bounce-back year for AW....if he can provide some consistent production, along with the confidence boost - this team could really be a pleasant surprise.

TGIF!
One wonders if Wheeler was getting coaching without requesting it from Treed. Think maybe his relationship with Nojel was hurting his mental side last year.

I just have never thought Wheeler's game translated well from high school to college. he was the #2 player on his high school team, not the star. he's really not strong enough to withstand the pounding on the inside. he's not a tremendous rebounder inside the paint. and his outside shot is not very consistent to make him a viable perimeter player either. You can do a lot of things in high school at 6'8. It becomes a lot harder in college. he's not a great 4. and we currently have better current options with Tre at the 4. and Furst and Kaufman arriving next year. and he's not a great perimeter 3. . he's a nice versatile role player - and nothing more. His road to more playing time and success is to improve his 3 point shooting. Sadly, i don't see that happening. The problem is , he may improve his shot, but other Boilers will be designated as our primary outside shooters.

I just have never thought Wheeler's game translated well from high school to college. he was the #2 player on his high school team, not the star. he's really not strong enough to withstand the pounding on the inside. he's not a tremendous rebounder inside the paint. and his outside shot is not very consistent to make him a viable perimeter player either. You can do a lot of things in high school at 6'8. It becomes a lot harder in college. he's not a great 4. and we currently have better current options with Tre at the 4. and Furst and Kaufman arriving next year. and he's not a great perimeter 3. . he's a nice versatile role player - and nothing more. His road to more playing time and success is to improve his 3 point shooting. Sadly, i don't see that happening. The problem is , he may improve his shot, but other Boilers will be designated as our primary outside shooters.
Is this Wolegib? Or did someone with some sense steal your ID? Regardless, I think you're absolutely correct. Wheeler has ZERO inside game for a "3" or "4". Just contributing as a 3 point shooter isn't what this team needs at that position. It needs someone who can put pressure on defenders by driving and either dishing or finishing at the rim. If he were an elite rebounder and defender, that's a different story. But he's not.

Fascinating! Every year certain posters here decide there must be a whipping boy. Someone who is the specific and only cause of every defeat. It looks like Wheeler is getting lined up for that position.

not only has he been pronounced shorter than measured (6’8” vs 6’9”), and suddenly he can’t rebound. last year he averaged over 4 per game, which is in the same range as Haarms. Funny how short and selective our memories are. He also had about as many blocks as Trevion Who does like to mix it up inside.

Fascinating! Every year certain posters here decide there must be a whipping boy. Someone who is the specific and only cause of every defeat. It looks like Wheeler is getting lined up for that position.

not only has he been pronounced shorter than measured (6’8” vs 6’9”), and suddenly he can’t rebound. last year he averaged over 4 per game, which is in the same range as Haarms. Funny how short and selective our memories are. He also had about as many blocks as Trevion Who does like to mix it up inside.
I don’t disagree with Wheeler being targeted (not sure I’d use the phrase ‘whipping boy’ anymore), but they make some valid points.

If he’s not going to be a post scorer or a slasher he needs to embrace the Grady model and be tenacious on the boards, an aggressive defender who plays great team defense and consistently knock down open shots. All of those things are within Aaron’s grasp, he jus needs to go out there and do them.

I don’t disagree with Wheeler being targeted (not sure I’d use the phrase ‘whipping boy’ anymore), but they make some valid points.

If he’s not going to be a post scorer or a slasher he needs to embrace the Grady model and be tenacious on the boards, an aggressive defender who plays great team defense and consistently knock down open shots. All of those things are within Aaron’s grasp, he jus needs to go out there and do them.
He’s never had the lateral quickness to be a good on-ball defender. He can’t stay in front of anyone. But he can be a serviceable part of a good team defense.

to be fair- wheeler was easily the 2nd most criticized player last year. Especially from @purduepat1969. It is not a new development.

Reactions: Level 42
He’s never had the lateral quickness to be a good on-ball defender. He can’t stay in front of anyone. But he can be a serviceable part of a good team defense.
Agree. Not sure that quickness is the issue but agree that he seems unlikely to be a lockdown individual defender. Grady wasn’t either but still took charges, was great on double teams and knew and followed his defensive assignments.

The operative words here are "a serviceable part of a good defense." And yes, I am being semantic and am not being picky, but from this day forward, Purdue basketball has, and is getting more of, players who are better than a serviceable part of a good (team). BTFU!!!

I guess being critical of his play constitutes him being a "whipping boy". If you'd like to explain why we shouldn't be critical of his play last year, please go ahead. I'll be waiting for your explanation.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Agree. Not sure that quickness is the issue but agree that he seems unlikely to be a lockdown individual defender. Grady wasn’t either but still took charges, was great on double teams and knew and followed his defensive assignments.
Wheeler is long, fast and can jump, but just can’t move his feet laterally. It’s only a problem with 4s that can really create off the bounce.

Wheeler is long, fast and can jump, but just can’t move his feet laterally. It’s only a problem with 4s that can really create off the bounce.
Maybe we just see different things, and that's okay. I thought he was quick enough, but did poorly predicting where an opponent would go, and knowing where he should be. I saw him often out of position on defense, not because he couldn't move, but because he didn't move.

As for the criticism earlier in the thread, I found it amusing that the poster shrunk him an inch in height and decided he couldn't rebound. Neither was true. Yes, there was much to criticize about Wheeler's play, but shrinking was not one, nor was rebounding.

When you get right to it, last year our PG had issues passing quickly enough, and the rest of the team could play a bit raw and disjointed. It wasn't just Wheeler's play. However, like I said, some folks just zero in on a single player and bitch the entire season about him.

Wheeler's problems are mental as he has the athleticism to do good things. My theory is that he was getting some adverse negativity from whom he was rooming with.

If he does a dramatic turnaround this season, then we'll know that may of been part of it.

It's perfectly fine to criticize this a player, but some took it to a whole new level with Wheeler like he ran over their dog or killed a family member at times. It was a whole new level of ridiculousness that I hope gets better this season.

Maybe we just see different things, and that's okay. I thought he was quick enough, but did poorly predicting where an opponent would go, and knowing where he should be. I saw him often out of position on defense, not because he couldn't move, but because he didn't move.

As for the criticism earlier in the thread, I found it amusing that the poster shrunk him an inch in height and decided he couldn't rebound. Neither was true. Yes, there was much to criticize about Wheeler's play, but shrinking was not one, nor was rebounding.

When you get right to it, last year our PG had issues passing quickly enough, and the rest of the team could play a bit raw and disjointed. It wasn't just Wheeler's play. However, like I said, some folks just zero in on a single player and bitch the entire season about him.
Put very simply, when he ends up one on one with a stretch four who can put the ball on the floor, he usually struggles to stay in front of them.

Wheeler's problems are mental as he has the athleticism to do good things. My theory is that he was getting some adverse negativity from whom he was rooming with.

If he does a dramatic turnaround this season, then we'll know that may of been part of it.

It's perfectly fine to criticize this a player, but some took it to a whole new level with Wheeler like he ran over their dog or killed a family member at times. It was a whole new level of ridiculousness that I hope gets better this season.
OK, now you've revealed an elephant in the room. I must ask: "Do you think he was being purposely pushed into doubting himself?" Perhaps pushing him to play poorly? Perhaps for the goal of someone else not getting the crit for not playing up to his potential?

OK, now you've revealed an elephant in the room. I must ask: "Do you think he was being purposely pushed into doubting himself?" Perhaps pushing him to play poorly? Perhaps for the goal of someone else not getting the crit for not playing up to his potential?
I don't think it was on purpose, but when you're constantly around someone that is negative about something, it can influence you and it is something I have always wondered. I mean Wheeler had a pretty good year prior to last all things considered then he started rooming with, I forget his name and things went downhill.

Just a perception with no real basis behind it other than how human nature tends to work.

My criticism of Wheeler started his first year here. He is not my new whipping boy. In today's current society, I believe that phrase needs to disappear real fast.

You say he can rebound? maybe he can , but not enough for what we need from a starter at that position. To be worthy of his position, he needs to haul down 6-9 rebounds per game, because we have other players who can shoot and score. . And please do not use those useless per minute stats. if a player is good they play 25-30 minutes, and you don't have to use per minute stats, you use game stats.

Tre may not be a 4, but he plays physical in the paint. That's something Wheeler will never do. And Wheeler's outside shot disappeared last year. and if we want or need a three in clutch time, it's not going to be Wheeler taking that shot. Sasha will play the 3 and shoot more than Wheeler will.

we keep talking about that fantasy of a twin towers. isn't that why we recruited kaufman and Furst? I highly doubt those two players will platoon at the same position. I really don't care if you call Furst a 4 or a 5 . or Kaufman a 4 or a 3. the facts are they are going to be on the court at the same time, and wheeler is going to be on the bench. and it's doubtful Tre will leave early for the NBA.

now comes the edey factor. Will Purdue go big with Edey and tre both in the paint? History says no. We never enjoyed much success with Haas and Biggie. Will Edey team up with Furst and kaufman? Will Edey be given more playing time than Wheeler? with Tre sliding down to the 4 this year, and Sasha sliding over to the 3? if hunter was healthy, who would play more? Sasha or Wheeler?

Whether i like him or not, I see Wheeler as a player without a position. he's not a physical inside force. and we have better options on the perimeter. and next year with furst and kaufman, his playing time will be even less.

I hate to be so down on Wheeler, but typically in the recruiting game, you recruit players to fill needs. the other player painter tried to recruit was Ingram. and what position would he have played? All three of the 2021 recruits would have played Wheeler's position. if Wheeler was great, painter would not have recruited so many players for the same position. Would he?

I said this last as well that I also don't see Gillis becoming a big factor for playing time either. And it was me that suggested newman would transfer because of lack of playing time. the reality is Purdue has a lot of good players, but I can't see painter using a 10 man rotation. and there will be players, through no fault of their own coming off the bench. Eastern's mother saw this same issue and yanked her son out of the program. Painter is not afraid of starting freshmen if they prove they can play defense. There are many different possible line-ups.

what can we really expect from Wheeler? 15 minutes? 8 points? 4 rebounds? Would that be considered a great or realistic contribution?

My criticism of Wheeler started his first year here. He is not my new whipping boy. In today's current society, I believe that phrase needs to disappear real fast.

You say he can rebound? maybe he can , but not enough for what we need from a starter at that position. To be worthy of his position, he needs to haul down 6-9 rebounds per game, because we have other players who can shoot and score. . And please do not use those useless per minute stats. if a player is good they play 25-30 minutes, and you don't have to use per minute stats, you use game stats.

Tre may not be a 4, but he plays physical in the paint. That's something Wheeler will never do. And Wheeler's outside shot disappeared last year. and if we want or need a three in clutch time, it's not going to be Wheeler taking that shot. Sasha will play the 3 and shoot more than Wheeler will.

we keep talking about that fantasy of a twin towers. isn't that why we recruited kaufman and Furst? I highly doubt those two players will platoon at the same position. I really don't care if you call Furst a 4 or a 5 . or Kaufman a 4 or a 3. the facts are they are going to be on the court at the same time, and wheeler is going to be on the bench. and it's doubtful Tre will leave early for the NBA.

now comes the edey factor. Will Purdue go big with Edey and tre both in the paint? History says no. We never enjoyed much success with Haas and Biggie. Will Edey team up with Furst and kaufman? Will Edey be given more playing time than Wheeler? with Tre sliding down to the 4 this year, and Sasha sliding over to the 3? if hunter was healthy, who would play more? Sasha or Wheeler?

Whether i like him or not, I see Wheeler as a player without a position. he's not a physical inside force. and we have better options on the perimeter. and next year with furst and kaufman, his playing time will be even less.

I hate to be so down on Wheeler, but typically in the recruiting game, you recruit players to fill needs. the other player painter tried to recruit was Ingram. and what position would he have played? All three of the 2021 recruits would have played Wheeler's position. if Wheeler was great, painter would not have recruited so many players for the same position. Would he?

I said this last as well that I also don't see Gillis becoming a big factor for playing time either. And it was me that suggested newman would transfer because of lack of playing time. the reality is Purdue has a lot of good players, but I can't see painter using a 10 man rotation. and there will be players, through no fault of their own coming off the bench. Eastern's mother saw this same issue and yanked her son out of the program. Painter is not afraid of starting freshmen if they prove they can play defense. There are many different possible line-ups.

what can we really expect from Wheeler? 15 minutes? 8 points? 4 rebounds? Would that be considered a great or realistic contribution?

I’d be happy if he averages 1-2 3PM per game with an occasional game with 3 or 4. I’d also be happy if he could prove that he could finish in the lane from time to time.

What I want to see from him is improved ball handling and increased confidence. He can be an asset if he shoots a better %

It may have been part of it. But it’s not logical to be any more certain in that hypothesis regardless of his performance this year.
He was so bad at shooting last year that there just has to be some regression to the mean.

I’d be happy if he averages 1-2 3PM per game with an occasional game with 3 or 4. I’d also be happy if he could prove that he could finish in the lane from time to time.

What I want to see from him is improved ball handling and increased confidence. He can be an asset if he shoots a better %
I'd be extremely happy with Wheeler if he showed he can handle the ball and make an attempt at finishing under the basket. Last year his effort on offense was simply bad.

I'd be extremely happy with Wheeler if he showed he can handle the ball and make an attempt at finishing under the basket. Last year his effort on offense was simply bad.
I've seen analysis paralysis on Aaron's play by all us couch coaches. I believe he'll have renewed energy and his performances will improve. That is my hope and till play shows otherwise, I believe we'll all see improved play.
Coaches have been defining his role in the off-season & early fall camp. If he adapts, we'll be pleased. If not, there is enough competition to earn his P.T. He'll be pushed. Let's see how he responds.

I see Taylor written all over Wheeler. he has talent. but we have other players with more talent. and he's now trying to rebound from a lost season, where others like Edey, Gillis and newman are all looking to prove they belong too.. And i mention newman, because although not at Wheeler's position, he could take his shots away, and newman could play the 3 or shift Sasha to the 3.

as i said, we've got a lot of talent, and i just don't see painter going with a huge rotation. Somebody is going to lose out. and with his remarks about Edey, I've also kind of written Dow off.

I see Taylor written all over Wheeler. he has talent. but we have other players with more talent. and he's now trying to rebound from a lost season, where others like Edey, Gillis and newman are all looking to prove they belong too.. And i mention newman, because although not at Wheeler's position, he could take his shots away, and newman could play the 3 or shift Sasha to the 3.

as i said, we've got a lot of talent, and i just don't see painter going with a huge rotation. Somebody is going to lose out. and with his remarks about Edey, I've also kind of written Dow off.

Well, at least early on Sunday he rotation is pretty straightforward. There’s really only a few combinations it cam be until Morton is back.

Thompson
Ivey/Newman
Sasha
Wheeler/Gillis
Williams/Edey

Ivey/Thompson
Newman
Sasha
Wheeler/Gillis
Williams/Edey

has to be something like that

Looking forward to seeing this team in action!
Love that Edey has "potential".
Maybe the second youngest team Painter's had to-date :)

Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT