ADVERTISEMENT

Dukie write up

It sounds like he feels NC State will beat slow footed Zach and Purdue. He says players aren’t scared of Edey. All those easy layups right over Zach. Here is the truth of the last game. Everyone on the team not named Knecht scored 10 points from two, not all were at the rim. The great Ziegler scored 4 inside the arc. One layup at the end that Zach let go to avoid a possible three point play. As for DJ He seemed to score on Duke with guys shorter than him guarding him. We will see. Now comparisons with the UConn center on D etc. is another matter, not applicable to the next game.

I saw at least a handful of Tennessee players drive the lane yesterday and decide to take the ball back outside when they saw Edey in the lane. He didn't have a big day in terms of blocks but if they watched that and didn't think he changed Tennessee's willingness to attack the rim at all then I have to question their understanding. It's not all about blocking shots, or even altering shots. There are many occasions each game where the other team won't even consider driving to the rim when he's there. If the Duke writer didn't recognize that then he either doesn't understand it or wasn't watching closely.

It sounds like he feels NC State will beat slow footed Zach and Purdue. He says players aren’t scared of Edey. All those easy layups right over Zach. Here is the truth of the last game. Everyone on the team not named Knecht scored 10 points from two, not all were at the rim. The great Ziegler scored 4 inside the arc. One layup at the end that Zach let go to avoid a possible three point play. As for DJ He seemed to score on Duke with guys shorter than him guarding him. We will see. Now comparisons with the UConn center on D etc. is another matter, not applicable to the next game.
Once the tournament started, Zack hasn't challenged shots as much to avoid fails, especially in the first half. In the second half, he becomes more aggressive with fouls to give.

Zach knows his worth on the court is exponentially more important than going for blocks - especially in the first half. If you don't get two fouls on him in the first, he is going to murder you with his freed up aggression .

You have to go at him and Zach doesn't fall for it. Gonzaga went right at him begging him to foul. He let them go a couple of times - Lapas even said he wasn't intimidating - knowing his ability to play free in the last 5 minutes of a game is the difference in a lot of days. Now more than ever. He can go over people on rebounds and go for every rebound.

If Zach had four fouls against him he wouldn't have been able to go after Knect's final shot to seal it: and instead it is a three point game with over a minute left.

instead the game was all over but the final score.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Of their game with NC State. Previews Purdue and says how in-intimidating Edey is.

That read like it was written like a casual fan who was trying to convince himself that NC State can complete the miracle. Anything can happen, but this Purdue team knows what it is like to be in these situations where the underdog is playing with nothing to lose and I am certain that these Boilers will be ready for a fight. I never like to be over confident, but I am not complaining about this matchup.

Edey doesn't go for many blocks. It's somewhat aggrevating as it seems like he could swat some layup attempts into the third row. It's obvious he's coached that way to avoid fouling, however. So I get it.

Just him being by the basket drastically changes how teams attack our defense and also how difficult it is for them to get ORB against us.

For NC ST to win the following has to happen:

Edey gets into serious foul trouble
Purdue has as bad a shooting night as we did against TN
Purdue turns the ball over double digit times

I can buy one or two of those happening worst case, but all three would mean we basically beat ourselves.

Edey knows how to play with a couple of fouls. I also don't expect our team to repeat the ice cold shooting.

I think TN's defense prepared us for NC ST. I didn't see NC ST have an amazing defense against Duke so much as I saw a good defense and Duke just started taking really dumb shots (they also missed quite a few layups).

If Edey has a 27 and 15 game, we keep the turnovers under say 12, and we shoot high thirties from three, I don't see how we lose. All three of those are actually an average outing for Purdue. If we play our A game, they get rolled.

If we play like yesterday AND Edey gets in foul trouble, well, we probably lose.

What is this guy talking about? First of all, Duke was the most overrated team in the country. They didn’t beat anyone to note—Houston lost their best player midway through the first half and Duke barely won that game.

They show their bad analysis real quick though.

Multiple times Ziegler dribbled into the lane and was like “NOPE” and dribbled out. As others have said UT took a ton of jump shots and 3s and didn’t challenge Zach cuz they knew it wasn’t a good choice.

And Zach slow to react? Keep up with your lazy narrative that Zach’s not that quick. And nc state is playing great but they haven’t seen anything like edey. Not even the comeback player of the year Kyle-Filip“Flop” and “Tripping”-owski compares to edey. It blows my mind that ppl think Zach is slow because he’s not blocking everything in site. They never think that maybe he understands it’s not worth it to pick up fouls early on (as others have posted here) because it’d be detrimental to the team…thought Duke fans would be able to figure that strategy out but apparently not. Makes sense though because they’re judging all of their analysis off one game.

Lastly, he says nc state is being counted out…but sounds like he’s counting out Purdue—which everyone has done this whole year, so nothing different than what we’ve heard/the team is used to. I’d assume the boys come out just like usual…I do worry about the shooting background and how it ll impact our 3P shooting since we will be playing in an NFL stadium. Hopefully, it won’t matter.

Reactions: punaj
Yes, it’s poorly written and researched. But I will say the national announcers ( especially in the Gonzaga game) had no clue that Zach was purposely not going hard at divers to avoid fouls. Clingan from UConn is not nearly as indispensable as Zach so he can go for it more. He is the fourth leading scorer on his team at 12.9 pts and just over 7 rebounds. He only plays 22 minutes a game. So I looked it up to see how many more blocks per game he gets being so much more mobile. He averages 2.5 and Zach 2.2.

Yes, it’s poorly written and researched. But I will say the national announcers ( especially in the Gonzaga game) had no clue that Zach was purposely not going hard at divers to avoid fouls. Clingan from UConn is not nearly as indispensable as Zach so he can go for it more. He is the fourth leading scorer on his team at 12.9 pts and just over 7 rebounds. He only plays 22 minutes a game. So I looked it up to see how many more blocks per game he gets being so much more mobile. He averages 2.5 and Zach 2.2.

Samson Johnson, who backs him up, is just as athletic if not more athletic than clingan. Plays above the rim and has some highlight dunks. We don’t have someone like that to back up edey.

Also the national announcers know nothing about any of the teams…it’s quite annoying. Why can’t we have the actual broadcasters who do the games throughout the year announce during the tourney? They can at least have better insight.

Here's another uneducated write-up:

Purdue uses a mixture of three guys at the (4) power forward position. 6’9 Kaufman-Renn, 6’7 Camden Hyde, and 6’6 Mason Gillis. None of them average more than 6 points per game, none are super physical, but all are decent shooters.

Here's another uneducated write-up:

Purdue uses a mixture of three guys at the (4) power forward position. 6’9 Kaufman-Renn, 6’7 Camden Hyde, and 6’6 Mason Gillis. None of them average more than 6 points per game, none are super physical, but all are decent shooters.
None are super physical, lol

And Smith is apparently slow and can't beat you off the dribble.

It doesn't really matter. I'm sure their coaching staff isn't that stupid.
Fascinating how the NDN (National Dipshit Narrative) for Purdue has morphed from “slow, overly post- centric team that that always chokes” to “evil, referee-enabled empire that is bad for college basketball”

Reactions: BoilerAndy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT