ADVERTISEMENT

Edey

IIRC Duke is a private school, so their books are not open to general scrutiny. We have seen one or two situations that seem questionable, and might appear to violate NCAA rules. Hard to prove though.

on the other hand, Duke has built a reputation of high achievement in the sport. They have also shown that they can handle the #1 high school recruit, through one year of college, to become the #1 draft pick. Baby sitting? Like UK, they have built on that reputation.

Wasn't Dow in the top 100-125 range? This is a make or break year

Wasn't Dow in the top 100-125 range? This is a big year for him, third year Soph, if he can't get playing time this year, not sure he ever will.

uh, other than next year? when Trevian is gone. ;)

McQuay and Wheeler is an interesting comparison. They have very different bodies.

To be fair, basketball in the mid 90s is also different than today.

And we're not talking about starters - we're talking about subs for when Tre isn't out on the court. It's not like we'll play 40 minutes with Wheeler at the 5.

Most teams don't have a good center, let alone a good back up.

At the end of the day, we have some of the best strategy in college basketball with our coaching staff....teams rarely match up position for position with each other. It's how you take advantage of it, or defend it. We've had a "starting center" quality 7' back up for several years - most teams don't even have a starter. It didn't mean we were able to win every game because on paper we had a big advantage there. You have to have the right strategy, and you have to execute it.

I dislike Duke, but I believe K to be a coach of integrity (or he could just have me fooled) and runs a clean program. I also think that if there were any dirty pool being played by Duke, UNC would be all over exposing it.
I think what's unique about Duke is that they have the 800lb gorilla in UNC right down the road and they still compete at the highest level. UNC has them beat in about every area that you can consider (facilities, funding, ,etc, etc.) , but both those programs are perennial FF contenders.
I've always thought Northwestern could be a Duke like program but maybe they just haven't found the right guy?

UNC is in the same game, why would they cry foul on Duke? Duke, the University, almost assuredly does not pay players. It is the system around Duke basketball that pays them and the student-athlete and his famiky directly benefit. Don't kid yourself that Duke is clean.

Reactions: ChuckJr
UNC is in the same game, why would they cry foul on Duke? Duke, the University, almost assuredly does not pay players. It is the system around Duke basketball that pays them and the student-athlete and his famiky directly benefit. Don't kid yourself that Duke is clean.
Agree with this. Also agree with bonefish that K is a clean coach and his staff too. However it is a bit naive to believe that with all the success they have had with such high expectations and being involved with so many high level rcruits over the years that there is nothing going on in the periphery. Duke has many fans and "friends" of the program with deep pockets that can distance themselves from the coaches and University. Its like if you really believe Kentucky 's program would be 100% clean even with a top integrity coach.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Agree with this. Also agree with bonefish that K is a clean coach and his staff too. However it is a bit naive to believe that with all the success they have had with such high expectations and being involved with so many high level rcruits over the years that there is nothing going on in the periphery. Duke has many fans and "friends" of the program with deep pockets that can distance themselves from the coaches and University. Its like if you really believe Kentucky 's program would be 100% clean even with a top integrity coach.
Zion was recorded and was on the take.
I don't believe for a minute, that the Rat, has no idea what is gong on.
How many AAu, IU type deals are gong down?
NCAA has made it clear as long as the player doesn't know, hmmm, what is gong on it's ok.
So technically you are correct, Duke doesn't cheat. The Donors and shoe companies see that they don't have to.

Zion was recorded and was on the take.
I don't believe for a minute, that the Rat, has no idea what is gong on.
How many AAu, IU type deals are gong down?
NCAA has made it clear as long as the player doesn't know, hmmm, what is gong on it's ok.
So technically you are correct, Duke doesn't cheat. The Donors and shoe companies see that they don't have to.

House? What house?

https%3A%2F%2Ffansided.com%2Fwp-content%2Fblogs.dir%2F229%2Ffiles%2F2013%2F12%2Fpetecarroll2.gif

tenor.gif

Edey looks like he will be a space eater underneath. He seems bigger than Haas:

Being a space eater isn't necessarily a great thing in today's offense, especially when you have slashers who want to penetrate and get into the paint. If you can't pull the opposing big out of the paint, it makes it harder to get to the rim.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Being a space eater isn't necessarily a great thing in today's offense, especially when you have slashers who want to penetrate and get into the paint. If you can't pull the opposing big out of the paint, it makes it harder to get to the rim.

I think you also want to open things up for the 3 point shot, right? Defenders need to worry about someone underneath. It is also good to have a brick wall in the paint on D when the opposing team wants to slash in the paint. They will have second thoughts.

I think you also want to open things up for the 3 point shot, right? Defenders need to worry about someone underneath. It is also good to have a brick wall in the paint on D when the opposing team wants to slash in the paint. They will have second thoughts.
If Edey is good enough to command a double team, it will open up the 3pt line. Defensively he will be a liability as teams will just put him in pick in roll situations like they did with Haas.

Reactions: bonefish1
If Edey is good enough to command a double team, it will open up the 3pt line. Defensively he will be a liability as teams will just put him in pick in roll situations like they did with Haas.
You seem to make such definitive statements about someone you have never seen play for any length of time. He "may" be a defensive liability. I don't know that he "will" be one.

One might suspect that all the practice he has done against our first stringers might have taught him a lot about how to defend, but then again, I have not seen him play for any amount of time, so I cant say for sure.

:cool:

You seem to make such definitive statements about someone you have never seen play for any length of time. He "may" be a defensive liability. I don't know that he "will" be one.

One might suspect that all the practice he has done against our first stringers might have taught him a lot about how to defend, but then again, I have not seen him play for any amount of time, so I cant say for sure.

:cool:
It's pretty obvious he will not do well in double team situations. It's not his fault, it's just reality for someone his size. Would it be better for you if I said it's highly likely he will be a defensive liability?

Right on cue today. Edey passing out of a double team to the corner. That player reverses the ball back to Wheeler for an open three while the defense is caught in rotation. Great ball movement.

Right on cue today. Edey passing out of a double team to the corner. That player reverses the ball back to Wheeler for an open three while the defense is caught in rotation. Great ball movement.

Yes.....Young Mr. Edey with the "hockey" assist (was that Sasha Stefanovic) with the feed?). Also, Wheels looked better on that shot to me than most of last season....hoping for a bounce-back year for AW....if he can provide some consistent production, along with the confidence boost - this team could really be a pleasant surprise.

TGIF!

Last edited:
I dislike Duke, but I believe K to be a coach of integrity (or he could just have me fooled) and runs a clean program. I also think that if there were any dirty pool being played by Duke, UNC would be all over exposing it.
I think what's unique about Duke is that they have the 800lb gorilla in UNC right down the road and they still compete at the highest level. UNC has them beat in about every area that you can consider (facilities, funding, ,etc, etc.) , but both those programs are perennial FF contenders.
I've always thought Northwestern could be a Duke like program but maybe they just haven't found the right guy?
K is good friends w Billy Walters FWIW.

That depends. Is your 7'2 guy a good enough offensive threat that they other team has to help on him and that opens up the 3?
If he a good enough defender in the paint to change shots? Haarms and Haas were both 7'2 range but very different both on O and D.
You can't teach 7'2, but people seem to get enamored with size when sometimes, just being big doesn't mean much.

He seems alit more agile than Haas.

I would agree with this. Didn't Edey play baseball? He probably does have better footspeed than Haas.
Haas was the stereotypical lumbering big man and while he could punish smaller players in the paint, he definitely struggled on D when he was pulled out of the paint by a team like Michigan.

That depends. Is your 7'2 guy a good enough offensive threat that they other team has to help on him and that opens up the 3?
If he a good enough defender in the paint to change shots? Haarms and Haas were both 7'2 range but very different both on O and D.
You can't teach 7'2, but people seem to get enamored with size when sometimes, just being big doesn't mean much.
Completely agree. If your big is an offensive mismatch against most opponents (Haas, AJH) you are in most cases willing to live with some level of defensive limitations (Haas moreso than AJH, but AJ struggled at times with switches and hedging screens.)

If they're not a guy that can consistently go get you a bucket (Haarms), they need to be better on defense.

I don't know that it's realistic to hope the Edey is going to come in and be great on defense. He's likely long enough to be able to alter and / or block shots, but staying in front of smaller players, hedging screens, etc. seems like it will be a struggle. It would be great if he and Dow are both ready to contribute as Id hope that Dow would be better positioned to defend a smaller 5.

I'd add that seeing Tre improve on defense would make a big difference to the team. He has great hands, he's fairly long and his feet are not bad, but it often seemed last year that his focus on defense was to do as good of a job as he could without picking up fouls or getting gassed versus playing really excellent defense. Assuming he's in better shape it seems that there's significant upside potential there.

Last edited:
I would agree with this. Didn't Edey play baseball? He probably does have better footspeed than Haas.
Haas was the stereotypical lumbering big man and while he could punish smaller players in the paint, he definitely struggled on D when he was pulled out of the paint by a team like Michigan.
Edey played hockey until just a few years ago...so a guy who is now over 7 foot on ice skates is pretty impressive. If you watch him, he has great balance and rarely gets knocked off his feet (which we did see frequently with Haas and Haarms early in their careers). Edey I think is further along overall as Haas was but Haas was really, really good starting off on the low block. Edey is a bit more mobile and might be better defensively in the PNR but has some work on the offensive end.

Edey played hockey until just a few years ago...so a guy who is now over 7 foot on ice skates is pretty impressive. If you watch him, he has great balance and rarely gets knocked off his feet (which we did see frequently with Haas and Haarms early in their careers). Edey I think is further along overall as Haas was but Haas was really, really good starting off on the low block. Edey is a bit more mobile and might be better defensively in the PNR but has some work on the offensive end.
pff just dunk it. what's to teach? like carsen, just shoot it. sometimes i feel like we over complicate the game. play to your strength!

Reactions: Schnelk
pff just dunk it. what's to teach? like carsen, just shoot it. sometimes i feel like we over complicate the game. play to your strength!
Easier when in high school and you are 7' and most times other centers MIGHT be 6'6 in high school. When you suddenly have skilled bigs defending you that are 6'10 or more along with being 220+lbs...it makes that whole idea of 'just dunk it' a lot harder. There is a reason Purdue's bigs are so damn difficult to defend in the low post (and that dates back to Landry all the way to Haas/Haarms/Williams recently). They are taught a multitude of post moves that make it difficult to defend them along with being good passers out of the post. Tre might be one of the most versatile big men at Purdue since Landry in his ability to make moves, spin, and pass out of the post.

In the few videos and words I've heard of Edey, he has a great base to him that sees him not get bounded off his spot, has a good feel when he is working back to the basket, and can see/feel the double team and pass out of it into positions that allow the offense to keep running. This is likely from his vision gained from playing hockey and seeing things develop on open ice. Edey will be a good one and I think it has been a pleasant surprise on where he came into the program skill wise.

Easier when in high school and you are 7' and most times other centers MIGHT be 6'6 in high school. When you suddenly have skilled bigs defending you that are 6'10 or more along with being 220+lbs...it makes that whole idea of 'just dunk it' a lot harder. There is a reason Purdue's bigs are so damn difficult to defend in the low post (and that dates back to Landry all the way to Haas/Haarms/Williams recently). They are taught a multitude of post moves that make it difficult to defend them along with being good passers out of the post. Tre might be one of the most versatile big men at Purdue since Landry in his ability to make moves, spin, and pass out of the post.

In the few videos and words I've heard of Edey, he has a great base to him that sees him not get bounded off his spot, has a good feel when he is working back to the basket, and can see/feel the double team and pass out of it into positions that allow the offense to keep running. This is likely from his vision gained from playing hockey and seeing things develop on open ice. Edey will be a good one and I think it has been a pleasant surprise on where he came into the program skill wise.
im sort of kidding there but not every big man is gonna be dirk.

Completely agree. If your big is an offensive mismatch against most opponents (Haas, AJH) you are in most cases willing to live with some level of defensive limitations (Haas moreso than AJH, but AJ struggled at times with switches and hedging screens.)

If they're not a guy that can consistently go get you a bucket (Haarms), they need to be better on defense.

I don't know that it's realistic to hope the Edey is going to come in and be great on defense. He's likely long enough to be able to alter and / or block shots, but staying in front of smaller players, hedging screens, etc. seems like it will be a struggle. It would be great if he and Dow are both ready to contribute as Id hope that Dow would be better positioned to defend a smaller 5.

I'd add that seeing Tre improve on defense would make a big difference to the team. He has great hands, he's fairly long and his feet are not bad, but it often seemed last year that his focus on defense was to do as good of a job as he could without picking up fouls or getting gassed versus playing really excellent defense. Assuming he's in better shape it seems that there's significant upside potential there.
I don't worry about him on the offensive end of the court. It's the defensive side that worries me with him.

Did I read somewhere this week that Painter said he was really surprised and impressed by Edey? Wish they would post more practice videos. Would like to see Edey, Ivey, Newman, in action.

Did I read somewhere this week that Painter said he was really surprised and impressed by Edey? Wish they would post more practice videos. Would like to see Edey, Ivey, Newman, in action.
Yes, you are correct. Painter has been surprised with the skills he has come into the program with from where he left off at IMG. Kid put a lot of work in during quarantine and from what I gather they think he is further along now than when Haas came in...and I think that has to do with him playing different sports like baseball and hockey. CMP said he needs to focus on the things he can do and play within himself on offense while just being 'big' on defense.

I think CMP will put a highly skilled group of guys around Edey when he has to play to offset his shortcomings on offense and hope he can be a large body on the interior to alter shots and force jump shots. Remember Purdue doubles the post so Edey will have help there and he likely isn't going to have to defend Garza or Cockburn much...if at all. As long as Edey can be a positive or net equal to another team's #2 post player...that's advantage Purdue.

I would actually say IU's championship history helps them in recruiting. Even though they haven't done anything in years, they still recruit at a high level. Most of their recruits mention "the tradition" when asked why they committed there.

With that said, I'm completely with you when it comes to Shaka Smart. He's had one good year, and hasn't done much since then.

Have you ever witnessed the loosiers paying homage to "the banners"? It's a sight to behold and a near on sacred experience to those that live for clown pants. Can you imagine what they do for recruits? ;)

Yes, you are correct. Painter has been surprised with the skills he has come into the program with from where he left off at IMG. Kid put a lot of work in during quarantine and from what I gather they think he is further along now than when Haas came in...and I think that has to do with him playing different sports like baseball and hockey. CMP said he needs to focus on the things he can do and play within himself on offense while just being 'big' on defense.

I think CMP will put a highly skilled group of guys around Edey when he has to play to offset his shortcomings on offense and hope he can be a large body on the interior to alter shots and force jump shots. Remember Purdue doubles the post so Edey will have help there and he likely isn't going to have to defend Garza or Cockburn much...if at all. As long as Edey can be a positive or net equal to another team's #2 post player...that's advantage Purdue.
Just listened to Painter's post scrimmage comments. Either I didn't hear correctly or it sounds like Edey is playing so well that Williams isn't guaranteed to be starting. Did anyone else hear that?

Just listened to Painter's post scrimmage comments. Either I didn't hear correctly or it sounds like Edey is playing so well that Williams isn't guaranteed to be starting. Did anyone else hear that?
I think you might have to gather that a bit but I think it may also be something CMP has alluded for a very long time: Tre can be a dominate PF if he chooses to be...he just needs to play with consistent high effort on both ends and get his weight into the range he can be successful there. If you were to play a lineup of Edey and Tre on the floor at one and with where Edey looks like on the glass right now, it would be a just utter riches on the glass for Purdue and something CMP might live with in terms of defensive schemes and shifts.

G: Hunter
G: Ivey
G: Newman
F: Tre
C: Edey

In that lineup, you have 2 high ability ball handlers who should be 30-35% 3pt shooters and Newman who may be a 35-40% shooter at some point in his career. You also have Purdue's likely two best players off the wing who can get into the lane and be 3 level scorers in Hunter and Ivey. That will give a lot of space for the big men, who both are high level passers out of the post (Tre being one of the best I've ever seen in a Purdue uniform) to get some real high/low post and forcing opposing teams into really bad rotations to find shooters and highly effective offensive rebounders inside already.

That's a lineup I would ONLY ever play against an opponent who has a PF who doesn't shoot particularly well OR doesn't have the ability to really put the ball on the floor. The other major key there is that those other three players are known to be really good defensive players OR at least are high effort defensive players. That's going to be needed in switches and rotations if Purdue tries to go that route with the bigs in at once.

I heard big scoring numbers from Edey in the scrimmages, but the odds that he starts over Trevion are zero.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT