ADVERTISEMENT

EDEY Offered

November 13th is when he will sign
Can't teach 7-3
Said he has been shooting threes, he is good at pick n rolls, and a good shot blocker.
I'll take a 7-3 hockey player for our rim protector.
This is a cliche, but true. Purdue coaches can teach basketball. A 7-3 project with athletic skills is much less of a gamble than a 6-3 project with athletic skills.

His story reminds me a bit of Dylan Windler’s... under recruited, other sport athlete until just a short time before college. I’m hopeful we get him

Would be excited if Edey decides to become a Boilermaker! Santa Clara sort of worries me a little - I can't really rag on Santa Clara weather - except that it is probably too hot. For his future, I think Purdue would be the best choice of course!
I get what you are saying but what 17 year old cares about weather? Plus basketball is an indoor sport anyway.

Reactions: doubleyous
Would be excited if Edey decides to become a Boilermaker! Santa Clara sort of worries me a little - I can't really rag on Santa Clara weather - except that it is probably too hot. For his future, I think Purdue would be the best choice of course!

Who would of thought with our hot start to this class that it would end with us being worried about Santa Clara. SMH

Who would of thought with our hot start to this class that it would end with us being worried about Santa Clara. SMH

Well he decided to attend high school in Florida...He is from Canada...One could say he doesn't like the cold...Not saying I wouldn't love to have him. It plenty of kids rule out the cold

Well Unfortunately for me I hope this is one recruiting battle we lose. Sorry call me a troll all you want I rather bank that scholarship for the 2021 class Too many talented players right here in Indiana to pass up . I Want as many scholarships available for that class. That's my humble opinion now go ahead fire away and call me a troll. You know you want to.

JBC was a highly-regarded HS player. Even considered All American by some.
Joe was NOT a highly regarded high school player when first recruited by Purdue . he blossomed his Senior year after Purdue already claimed him. they stole him before the blue bloods noticed him. And his recruiting ratings. before his senior year, he was not even on the charts.

from Wikipedia : Carroll, a 7'0" center, attended Denver East High School, located in Denver, Colorado, where he was selected as an All-American by Midwest Coach and Athlete Magazine. In his senior year, he averaged 20.3 points and 12.2 rebounds a game, while scoring 41 points in one contest.

Looking at HS stats, I've seen a lot more impressive ones. As for being a high school All American, you may be right. But Midwest Coach and Athlete magazine ? Those are hardly the big names in ranking high school athletes.

Joe was NOT a highly regarded high school player when first recruited by Purdue . he blossomed his Senior year after Purdue already claimed him. they stole him before the blue bloods noticed him. And his recruiting ratings. before his senior year, he was not even on the charts.

from Wikipedia : Carroll, a 7'0" center, attended Denver East High School, located in Denver, Colorado, where he was selected as an All-American by Midwest Coach and Athlete Magazine. In his senior year, he averaged 20.3 points and 12.2 rebounds a game, while scoring 41 points in one contest.

Looking at HS stats, I've seen a lot more impressive ones. As for being a high school All American, you may be right. But Midwest Coach and Athlete magazine ? Those are hardly the big names in ranking high school athletes.

Bigs, the first rule of finding yourself in a hole: Stop digging.

You can beat this dead horse if you like. It's not about what you think of his HS stats.

Bigs, the first rule of finding yourself in a hole: Stop digging.

You can beat this dead horse if you like. It's not about what you think of his HS stats.

the reason I bring up Joe Barry Carrol was because he was NOTHING as a junior in high school other than being tall. and isn't that the same rating we are looking at these other recruits ? We're not looking at their ratings after their senior year. we're looking at their ratings after their junior year. it's highly possible Edey may explode as a senior this yea r much like Joe Barry Carrol did. however, like JBC, we're recruiting him now before he becomes great.

As the JBC recruiting went, everybody thought he was a project whe n we were recruiting him, but then every body flip flopped after his senior season ended and said , hey, Purdue stole this nugget.

we have to remind ourselves, we're recruiting juniors , not seniors. so if they make an All American team after their senior year, that's gravy on the cake. looking at recent players both Gillis and tre were rated a lot higher before their injuries in their senior years. Edey is the opposite. I expect his ratings will climb verses what they are currently.

Well Unfortunately for me I hope this is one recruiting battle we lose. Sorry call me a troll all you want I rather bank that scholarship for the 2021 class Too many talented players right here in Indiana to pass up . I Want as many scholarships available for that class. That's my humble opinion now go ahead fire away and call me a troll. You know you want to.

I don’t sense that we are recruiting another 7’3” prospect for 2021, so I would say that we proceed. From a scholarship numbers standpoint, we should be safe unless we are trying to get another Robinson (ref Glenn’s son and how I don’t believe that storyline). Seriously though, there is a lot of talent in the state next year, but it’s not like we will split it with IU.. history tells us the most highly touted kids try to bluer pastures (UNC, Duke, UK) so we should leave “enough” open scholarships but don’t count on getting more than 2. Things also tend to work themselves out, so again why wait?

as recruiting goes, some recruits like IT commit a year early. This board keeps talking about all that talent for next year, but none of that talent has shown they are ready to commit to Purdue a year early. I haven't even seen any of that great talent say it was leaning heavily to Purdue. or even slightly to Purdue.

it may be great talent, but unless you get an earl y commitment, the possibility is Purdue could strike out on all of it much like what happened this year with our trio of Bigs who all seemed like sure locks.

If Edey wants Purdue, I say take him and worry about next year, next year.

as recruiting goes, some recruits like IT commit a year early. This board keeps talking about all that talent for next year, but none of that talent has shown they are ready to commit to Purdue a year early. I haven't even seen any of that great talent say it was leaning heavily to Purdue. or even slightly to Purdue.

it may be great talent, but unless you get an earl y commitment, the possibility is Purdue could strike out on all of it much like what happened this year with our trio of Bigs who all seemed like sure locks.

If Edey wants Purdue, I say take him and worry about next year, next year.
Everybody said have a deep run in the tournament And recruiting would pick up. If that's true then we should be in good shape With some of the talented kids here in our own state in the 2021 Class. If we strike out in this class especially with the Indiana kids then deep Runs in the tournament doesn't mean squat.

WOLEY -- I don't see your posts, but this one was quoted:
"Joe was NOT a highly regarded high school player when first recruited by Purdue . he blossomed his Senior year after Purdue already claimed him. they stole him before the blue bloods noticed him. And his recruiting ratings. before his senior year, he was not even on the charts." and I must comment, much against my will.

Joe Barry ate dinner at my house several times. He was a very introverted soul. His best friend was the pastor of a tiny church on Russell St (if I recall right) due West of the Armory.

He hated the name Joe. He was Joe Barry every second of every day. I hope he doesn't mind my saying that he had to push himself to be aggressive on the court. He clearly did that well, but it was an every day thing. He is the classic big kid whose parents constantly told him not to hurt other kids his whole young life.

Last edited:
WOLEY -- I don't see your posts, but this one was quoted:
"Joe was NOT a highly regarded high school player when first recruited by Purdue . he blossomed his Senior year after Purdue already claimed him. they stole him before the blue bloods noticed him. And his recruiting ratings. before his senior year, he was not even on the charts." and I must comment, much against my will.

Joe Barry ate dinner at my house several times. He was a very introverted soul. His best friend was the pastor of a tiny church on Russell St (if I recall right) due West of the Armory.

He hated the name Joe. He was Joe Barry every second of every day. I hope he doesn't mind my saying that he had to push himself to be aggressive on the court. He clearly did that well, but it was an every day thing. He is the classic big kid whose parents constantly told him not to hurt other kids his whole young life.

if you don't read my posts and you have me on ignore, then I respectfully request you do not quote my posts, because if you only quote one paragraph, you lose the meaning of my post as there are usually several points I make tied together. By only posting a partial of it, you lose the context of my post. thank you.

if you don't read my posts and you have me on ignore, then I respectfully request you do not quote my posts, because if you only quote one paragraph, you lose the meaning of my post as there are usually several points I make tied together. By only posting a partial of it, you lose the context of my post. thank you.
giphy.gif

Wole - if one clicks on the quote, one does get to see the whole quote ... it's easy. and you can be assured I probably won't read all of your quoted post anyway ... I rarely find much context even reading to the end

What does any of this have to do with Edey? Boring fellas, ruins the discussion

I agree with Brian's view of Edey and the risk of signing him.

"a player with an astronomical ceiling and probably an acceptable floor"

Based on athleticism and size, it's hard to imagine that Edey will represent a wasted scholarship. He would give Purdue something few teams have. And we have to trust that the coaches have evaluated his mindset and determined that he would make a good teammate and a good fit in the Boilermaker culture.

The bigger risk, as some have pointed out, is that a better player is available in the 2021 class, but a scholarship for that player won't be available. If you think about it, unless Purdue signs the consensus high school POY, you could say that about every single player on the roster.

Based on athleticism and size, it's hard to imagine that Edey will represent a wasted scholarship. He would give Purdue something few teams have. And we have to trust that the coaches have evaluated his mindset and determined that he would make a good teammate and a good fit in the Boilermaker culture.

The bigger risk, as some have pointed out, is that a better player is available in the 2021 class, but a scholarship for that player won't be available. If you think about it, unless Purdue signs the consensus high school POY, you could say that about every single player on the roster.

very well stated

What does any of this have to do with Edey? Boring fellas, ruins the discussion
I compared Edey to Joe Barry Carroll. They were both about the same as juniors in high school. Joe Barry blossomed as a senior and continued to excel in college! I expect Edey to do the same.

I compared Edey to Joe Barry Carroll. They were both about the same as juniors in high school. Joe Barry blossomed as a senior and continued to excel in college! I expect Edey to do the same.
different situations. In the late 70s early 80s you could have a disciplined team enough to work the ball to get what you wanted. You could wait until the timing was right to get the ball to Joe Barry. However, during that time and absent of the 3 ball Joe Barry might have arms swinging about as it would be more congested. Edey will not have as much traffic, but also less time. How he and the team he is on works this out will be important.

True, but my original point still remains however.
I'm not sure anyone (really?) questions Matt's ability to spot talent, but the difference in the results is that Matt is more likely to reach his desired players as a result of the budget change. I don't think Matt looked at all the players and said, Patrick Bade is exactly what I want and rather thought with the landscape involved it was a player Matt "could get" that Matt needed. Coaches all make mistakes since we know all players on all teams never turn out as well as the spectators think coming out of high school. The issue has never been that Matt didn't know a good basketball player (USA coach). The issue was landing his desires...

I'm agreeing with you

I'm not sure anyone (really?) questions Matt's ability to spot talent, but the difference in the results is that Matt is more likely to reach his desired players as a result of the budget change. I don't think Matt looked at all the players and said, Patrick Bade is exactly what I want and rather thought with the landscape involved it was a player Matt "could get" that Matt needed. Coaches all make mistakes since we know all players on all teams never turn out as well as the spectators think coming out of high school. The issue has never been that Matt didn't know a good basketball player (USA coach). The issue was landing his desires...

I'm agreeing with you
No I get it you are agreeing with me and my initial response was to those that have questioned him on here in the past. And then followed up with billy's attempted dig at CMP.

The latter part of my response is more directed at those that questioned it previously and the handful of knuckle draggers that still do today. Sorry I should of had more separation in my post.

I agree. The coaches have evaluated him and feel he is good enough for this team and a good fit. I hope they can get him. I know the game is going almost positionless but to have a big guy like him to replace Haarms is a big advantage in college hoops. Just put the big out there and surround him with 4 athletic players that can put the ball in the hole. As for the 2021 scholarships, there is no guarantee we’ll get the top guys. Just think recently with Dickinson, Kalkbrenner, Malik Hall, etc

Kid looks exceptionally skilled to me; good coordination, footwork, and especially shooting form

Apologies if this video has been previously posted

I had not seen it when I was already on board... he’s much further along in his offensive skill development than I had imagined. Call me crazy but if he’s as humble as what I’ve seen, how could we not prefer him to a guy like Dickinson (for a lot of reasons)? I’m on board! They must need a lot of Boilers to stay warm in Canada, but we need one Big Canadian to stay hot in our string of great having a great big

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT