ADVERTISEMENT

EDEY Offered

Come on man. You have no idea what other coaches say during the recruiting process. Have you ever once heard a recruit or transfer say a coach lied to them.
Coaches need to do what they need to do to land the top recruits. That doesn't mean flat out lie, but you have to play the game.
Purdue was in a good spot to land Francis Okoro until Oregon started telling him he could get time playing the 3 there.

Not only did he only play 13 minutes a game for them last year but it was exclusively at the 5 and I don't think that's changin so there's an example of a program blowing smoke up a kids ass just to tell him what he wants to hear.

I'll stick with Painter's honest approach over that BS all day.

If we ever have a coach who will "lie" or "do what they need to do to land the top recruits" (cheat), I will stop attending games and cancel my JPC membership. I'm relatively certain that I will not be alone.

I would guess that those who think the end justifies the means for college sports are more easily nudged into nefarious schemes in their own life.

Integrity matters. Always. Those who think otherwise need to reboot their system.

I haven't looked it up but I would bet that Purdue has a significantly higher athletic dept budget and basketball recruiting budget than Duke. Unless you're being funny and saying Duke pays players which I highly doubt.

you doubt Duke pays players? Like The poor inner city kid that had $175,000 worth of jewelry stolen or Zion flipping from a school that offered $400k. You are clueless or in denial.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/acc/duke-blue-devils/gilbert-arenas-duke-blue-devils/amp

Last edited:
Purdue was in a good spot to land Francis Okoro until Oregon started telling him he could get time playing the 3 there.

Not only did he only play 13 minutes a game for them last year but it was exclusively at the 5 and I don't think that's changin so there's an example of a program blowing smoke up a kids ass just to tell him what he wants to hear.

I'll stick with Painter's honest approach over that BS all day.
I agree to a point but obviously these kids wanna be Lied to They don't wanna hear the truth

He's from Toronto, right? If so, it definitely is colder in Minnesota!
Weather in Minnesota is flat out brutal. If sub zero temperatures aren't enough, we will just throw in 40 mph winds on top of it. Rochester, MN is one of the windiest places in the Country and about the 15th coldest and its still 75 miles south of the University of Minnesota. I was telling some people in Minnesota about the coldest day I ever experienced while a Purdue student and they just looked at me like, "so what" that happens several times a winter in Minnesota, every winter.

Come on man. You have no idea what other coaches say during the recruiting process. Have you ever once heard a recruit or transfer say a coach lied to them.
Coaches need to do what they need to do to land the top recruits. That doesn't mean flat out lie, but you have to play the game.
Playing the game That's basically what playing the game is Not telling the truth the whole truth . That's called a lie

Now if we could just Stop missing on the highly rated guys maybe we will get to a final 4. Unfortunately painter will not lie to those guys So I don't ever see Purdue getting them. I'm to the point tell them whatever they wanna hear The other coaches lie And it works for them
Just stop. You really suck at this.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
If we ever have a coach who will "lie" or "do what they need to do to land the top recruits" (cheat), I will stop attending games and cancel my JPC membership. I'm relatively certain that I will not be alone.

I would guess that those who think the end justifies the means for college sports are more easily nudged into nefarious schemes in their own life.

Integrity matters. Always. Those who think otherwise need to reboot their system.
It is important to be honest because if not you will have multiplied the opportunities if dissatisfaction during the season or the next season and disgruntled players lead to other issues. Also, word gets out eventually. Play the long game...

To me this kid is a project Could turn out good or not You never know. He just started playing basketball in 2017 So yes hes a project's. I may be wrong but it sounds like we've already missed out on some kids in the 2021 class Or I think he would Have saved this scholarship for that class. I know for some of you I'm a troll I get it.

Seems like a long string of Canadians to SC

Seriously though, I saw where some folks are thinking he is a Baylor lean, but with Loveday already signed, I think competition is SC

Not trolling or whining In my opinion just don't think we need him. 2021 Class Here in Indiana is going to be a good one why not have as many scholarships available For a loaded class. Just given a opinion.

When I went to Purdue, they all Joe Barry Carrol would be a project. he wasn't that great in high school and was kind of under the radar. Sure, he wasn't great his freshmen year. basically because Walter Jordan and company wanted their shots. but he turned out pretty good his sophomore year.

I've found Purdue fans are pretty critical on basketball recruits. You seem to hate 3 stars, and seem to call anything under 4 stars a project. this kid would start for many division 1 schools, and would play for many top 25 schools as a freshmen. he may not be a good as the type of player Purdue currently has. But that's only because our current talent is at an elite level.

I believe this guy will catch on fast. and as somebody has pointed out, Painter is a pretty smart coach. he wouldn't be recruiting this kid unless he knew something about the 2021 class. A bird in hand is worth two centers the fans want to come to Purdue next year. And if he redshirts, he'll basically be part of the 2021 class with a year of development by Purdue coaches who are some of the best in the world at developing big men.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
When I went to Purdue, they all Joe Barry Carrol would be a project. he wasn't that great in high school and was kind of under the radar. Sure, he wasn't great his freshmen year. basically because Walter Jordan and company wanted their shots. but he turned out pretty good his sophomore year.

I've found Purdue fans are pretty critical on basketball recruits. You seem to hate 3 stars, and seem to call anything under 4 stars a project. this kid would start for many division 1 schools, and would play for many top 25 schools as a freshmen. he may not be a good as the type of player Purdue currently has. But that's only because our current talent is at an elite level.

I believe this guy will catch on fast. and as somebody has pointed out, Painter is a pretty smart coach. he wouldn't be recruiting this kid unless he knew something about the 2021 class. A bird in hand is worth two centers the fans want to come to Purdue next year. And if he redshirts, he'll basically be part of the 2021 class with a year of development by Purdue coaches who are some of the best in the world at developing big men.
I have nothing against 3 star players this kid just started playing basketball In 2017 For a team that just went to the Elite 8 You think their eyes would be on a bigger prize Then somebody That just started playing basketball 2 years ago. Me personally the twenny twenny one class In Indiana is loaded with talent with kids that's played all their life are rather hold a scholarship for one of those kids.

...and I was hopeful they would put Joe Barry Carrol in or as I recall that big guy from Colorado that had just played a year or so...

JBC was a highly-regarded HS player. Even considered All American by some.

Joe Barry was great as a freshman. He played behind Tom Sheffler but many thought he was better. I think Carroll set a record for blocked shots in a season as a frosh.

Agreed.

8 pts, 7 rebs, 3 blks per game.

82 blocks that season playing off the bench in every game (but had a slightly higher total minutes than the senior Scheffler brother) - team leader in rebounds and a foreshadowing of stellar traditional post-play to follow the next three years.

Still Purdue career leader in rebounds and blocks and single game blocks; second only to Terry Dischinger in career double-doubles and the only triple-double in school history, IIRC.

Reactions: tjreese
Edey will create some matchup problems down the line. Remember Duke trying to stop Tacko Fall in the tournament. I wonder why he is reclassifying when another year of playing would help. Might be good to get him under the radar. A role type player learning the game who will be surrounded by some shooters. I’m sure Morton and IT will give him the ball underneath where he would be successful. At that height we are not expecting him to launch 3 pointers. Protect the rim and provide depth with more fouls to give in the paint. High risk, high reward type. He will probably be less mobile than Haarms but better than Haas based on weight. He seems like an athletic type outside of basketball similar to Gordon Hayward (wasn’t Gordon a 3 star? Different position obviously).

Reactions: OhioBoiler51
this kid would start for many division 1 schools, and would play for many top 25 schools as a freshmen.

I'm wondering how you know this to make such a factual statement. I agree with the idea of trusting Painter to do what's right, but we all know that in recruiting there are hits and misses when you talk about the 'hidden gem' types. Some turn into Carsen Edwards, some turn into Grant Weatherford.

Reactions: Boiler Kyle

I have nothing against 3 star players this kid just started playing basketball In 2017 For a team that just went to the Elite 8 You think their eyes would be on a bigger prize Then somebody That just started playing basketball 2 years ago. Me personally the twenny twenny one class In Indiana is loaded with talent with kids that's played all their life are rather hold a scholarship for one of those kids.

A guy named Hakeem Olajuwon did not play basketball until the age of 17, when he entered a local tournament.[7] It has been said that a coach in Nigeria once asked him to dunk and demonstrated while standing on a chair. Olajuwon then tried to stand on the chair himself. When redirected by staff not to use the chair, Hakeem could initially not dunk the basketball.[11]

I'm wondering how you know this to make such a factual statement. I agree with the idea of trusting Painter to do what's right, but we all know that in recruiting there are hits and misses when you talk about the 'hidden gem' types. Some turn into Carsen Edwards, some turn into Grant Weatherford.

Grant Weatherford didn't have a handful of high major colleges after him either

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT