ADVERTISEMENT

EDEY Offered

Purdue has alot of ground to catch up on if they seriously want this kid....and they do. MN has really put the time in for one, and alot of good other competition for him. I would think even with the CMP visit and offer that this is nothing to worry about UNLESS CMP gets the kid to visit.
MN just picked up a 2020 Center...

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Sooooo.......a separate thread criticized Painter for offering 5-star recruits that "we never get".....

Then Painter offers a 3-star, and people say that he shouldn't have made the offer and that a 3-star is a "project"?

Please, someone send a note to Matt, instructing him to ONLY offer 4-stars.

For the record, Sports247 listed all three of Purdue's 2019 freshman as 3-stars (which is ludicrous). Mathias and Vince Edwards were listed as 3-stars, and PJ Thompson was listed as 0-stars (until after he signed with Purdue). However, it shows that Painter disregards rankings, and knows what he's doing when he offers someone. Trust in Painter.

Sooooo.......a separate thread criticized Painter for offering 5-star recruits that "we never get".....

Then Painter offers a 3-star, and people say that he shouldn't have made the offer and that a 3-star is a "project"?

For the record, Sports247 listed all three of Purdue's 2019 freshman as 3-stars (which is ludicrous). Mathias and Vince Edwards were listed as 3-stars, and PJ Thompson was listed as 0-stars (until after he signed with Purdue). However, it shows that Painter disregards rankings, and knows what he's doing when he offers someone. Trust in Painter.
Historical data suggests that 3-stars in their JR year contribute far more to their college teams than 5-stars in the third year after joining their college team contribute . . . to their nba team.

He probably has good hand eye coordination if he plays baseball.

You're correct, likely has great hand/eye skills. Very nice swing for a tall, lanky kid. Everything was pulled, but that might have been the pitching.

Those PBR events are a complete waste of time. And, it's not just PBR. Under Armor puts them on, as well as others. They're more an ego event for the parents.

PBR events that I'm familiar with involve me in a recliner.

a bowl of popcorn, chips, or pretzels would be nice too. :)

giphy.gif

I'm from Wisconsin. PBR is BAD !!!! even Old Style or Old Milwaukee is better.

I went to Maders in Milwaukee last month. I was surprised they still served Schlitz !

The 4* center that committed to minn is only a 3 star on some services. And he’s not listed as a project. You may say Edey has the same ranking. I said it with Dow that while many here may project certain players as projects for Purdue, those same players would be starters for many other less fortunate division 1 teams.

Edey isn’t known as a great shot blocker or rebounder. He doesn’t have a perimeter game. He doesn’t have outstanding speed. What does he have? He’s got a nice inside shot. And he is very young. He reminds me of Haas, and he turned out pretty good.

And on two positive notes.

The first is he didn’t get 3 stars just because of his height. He is considered One of Canada’s top 5 prospects for a reason. And Canada has produced some very good players.

The second is with Haas and Haarms before him, he should have an easier time with the refs as they will be used to how to call fouls for Purdue’s big men.

Mitchell is 6'10" 195. He's not a center. His commitment is not going to stop Minnesota from recruiting Edey on its own.

I don't get the ref comment above. Refs handle games with big men all the time. Being used to Purdue having big men will not affect anything.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Mitchell is 6'10" 195. He's not a center. His commitment is not going to stop Minnesota from recruiting Edey on its own.

I don't get the ref comment above. Refs handle games with big men all the time. Being used to Purdue having big men will not affect anything.

there have been many comments by Painter in the past about the refs and their inability to call the right fouls with Haas because he was so big and strong. We have seen a difference in the fouls called on Haarms. I expect that to evolve .

Haarms is a completely different player than Haas.

Yes they are two different players, but they also have a lot of similarities. And as for fouls, They both get called for a lot of the same calls. And I can see a lot of similarities between Haas and Ebey!

but also realize, that while Mathias, Vince and PJ won a lot of games, they got throttled in the NCAA when they can up against those 4 and 5 star types. “recruiting stars matter”

Reactions: PaBoiler78
but also realize, that while Mathias, Vince and PJ won a lot of games, they got throttled in the NCAA when they can up against those 4 and 5 star types. “recruiting stars matter”
This for the most part is true. While they did make some s16's that class was a pretty big let down in the tournament. If im correct they lost in blowouts to Kansas and tech, and those massive chokejobs to little rock and cincy.

Yes they are two different players, but they also have a lot of similarities. And as for fouls, They both get called for a lot of the same calls. And I can see a lot of similarities between Haas and Ebey!
The only similarity between Haas and Haarms is that they were both 7 footers. Haarms is a much better athlete who can run the floor and play D in the high pick n roll. Haas was just a giant down on the blocks who was sometimes a liability on D and not a very good rebounder.

This for the most part is true. While they did make some s16's that class was a pretty big let down in the tournament. If im correct they lost in blowouts to Kansas and tech, and those massive chokejobs to little rock and cincy.
That Kansas game really doesn’t count. Josh Jackson was bought and paid for, among others most likely, and that should result in a forfeit.

Reactions: ChuckJr
Two ways to go about it.

1 - star hunt like the one and done factories

2 - get old with players that fit your system like the two teams that played in last years title game. That's the way painter is going.

We were 5 seconds from the final 4 last year with our highest ranked recruit being Nojel in the 60s in his class. The play that saved Virginia against Purdue was created by an unranked player in Salt tipping the ball back to a 3* outside the top 150 pg in Clark who passed it up to another player in Diakite who wasn't highly ranked.

Purdue goes to the elite 8 2 years ago if Haas didn't get hurt. Texas tech didn't really have to pay much attention to Haarms down low and could focus on the shooters. Even with that disadvantage Carsen still went off for 30. If you don't think one of the biggest mismatches in college basketball in Haas changes the way that game goes then idk what to tell you. He would've demanded a lot of attention down low freeing up Mathias who only attempted 1 three that game, and he would've drawn a good bit of fouls like he normally did which would've been huge against a that Texas tech team who didn't have a deep frontcourt.

You may want to re-examine the TX Tech line-up that beat Purdue and then again the one that played for the NC in 2019. While you're at it, check where the teams loaded with 5-stars and one-and-dones were during the 2019 FF.

All I was saying is that Painter had a lot of discussions with the refs during the Haas era. And because of that Haarms wasn’t called for all those Ricky tack fouls. And because of that Edey will have have a better chance at success.

I’m not trying to compare players or their game other than saying they both got called for a lot of stupid fouls and the refs have adjusted their thinking.

You may want to re-examine the TX Tech line-up that beat Purdue and then again the one that played for the NC in 2019. While you're at it, check where the teams loaded with 5-stars and one-and-dones were during the 2019 FF.

Heck....just look within the conference......one of Tom Izzo's most talented teams (with two lottery picks @4 - Jaren Jackson, Jr. and @12 - Miles Bridges) doesn't even make it out of the first weekend.....then the following year with his highest-rated returning recruit (Joshua Langford) out most of the year.....makes it to another Final Four and beat the media favorite to get there.

In fairness to Lenny, you do need some good/great talented recruits....but not necessarily a team "loaded with five-stars," IMHO. Look at Villanova.....look at Virginia.....Purdue is getting more toward that.....will CMP and the Boilers get the desired final results? We shall see....but I like the ever-transitioning of the roster and make-up of the team, especially in the backcourt and what CMP is building on the court, off the court, and on the recruiting trail. It takes time......but I understand the impatience these days. Again - JMHO

Purdue goes to the elite 8 2 years ago if Haas didn't get hurt. Texas tech didn't really have to pay much attention to Haarms down low and could focus on the shooters. Even with that disadvantage Carsen still went off for 30. If you don't think one of the biggest mismatches in college basketball in Haas changes the way that game goes then idk what to tell you. He would've demanded a lot of attention down low freeing up Mathias who only attempted 1 three that game, and he would've drawn a good bit of fouls like he normally did which would've been huge against a that Texas tech team who didn't have a deep frontcourt.

I don't play the woulda, shoulda, coulda game. We've been doing that since Big Dog hurt his back rough housing in the hotel before the E8 Duke game in 94.

Heck....just look within the conference......one of Tom Izzo's most talented teams (with two lottery picks @4 - Jaren Jackson, Jr. and @12 - Miles Bridges) doesn't even make it out of the first weekend.....then the following year with his highest-rated returning recruit (Joshua Langford) out most of the year.....makes it to another Final Four and beat the media favorite to get there.

In fairness to Lenny, you do need some good/great talented recruits....but not necessarily a team "loaded with five-stars," IMHO. Look at Villanova.....look at Virginia.....Purdue is getting more toward that.....will CMP and the Boilers get the desired final results? We shall see....but I like the ever-transitioning of the roster and make-up of the team, especially in the backcourt and what CMP is building on the court, off the court, and on the recruiting trail. It takes time......but I understand the impatience these days. Again - JMHO

Most of the time, not all the time, but most of the time, 4 and 5 stars are going to beat a team of 2-3 stars. Talent will usually win out.

Two ways to go about it.

1 - star hunt like the one and done factories

2 - get old with players that fit your system like the two teams that played in last years title game. That's the way painter is going.

We were 5 seconds from the final 4 last year with our highest ranked recruit being Nojel in the 60s in his class. The play that saved Virginia against Purdue was created by an unranked player in Salt tipping the ball back to a 3* outside the top 150 pg in Clark who passed it up to another player in Diakite who wasn't highly ranked.

67 OhioBoiler51, Today at 1:00 PM
Excellent posts!

Most of the time, not all the time, but most of the time, 4 and 5 stars are going to beat a team of 2-3 stars. Talent will usually win out.
So, to follow your logic, UK, with the best recruiting classes, has won the NCAA the last 20 years, every year?

Well... "Most of the time" is what you said, right? I think UK has won once in the last 20 years. Is your definition of "Most of the time" one out of 20? Sorry, but this is not working for me.

It ain't that simple, and that is the fundamental problem with your thinking.

Cool. Your opinion is wrong. It's that simple then

Reactions: BoilerAndy
this points to how great of a coach Painter actually is. his peers and colleagues know how good he is. I believe the players also know. and he's a part of several USA teams, so the entire nation should realize how good he is. and there are even many people on this forum who realize how good he is, and the fact if you want to replace him, you're not going to find a coach half as good as he is.

Dude was beat to h#ll by Kansas in the game prior.
never will forget that hip check that Pollard gave Dog when he was shooting, he immediately starting limping afterwards, Pollard also hacked other players as well.

So, to follow your logic, UK, with the best recruiting classes, has won the NCAA the last 20 years, every year?

Well... "Most of the time" is what you said, right? I think UK has won once in the last 20 years. Is your definition of "Most of the time" one out of 20? Sorry, but this is not working for me.

It ain't that simple, and that is the fundamental problem with your thinking.

You seem to have a lot of time on your hands; why don't you do a search online at the 80 Final Four teams over the last 20 years and see if there's any patterns that you notice.
My contention, is that you're going to see a lot of the same names repeated with a few Cinderellas and non-traditional basketball powers mixed in. It's also my contention that those repeat FF teams also happen to be the ones that get the best recruiting classes (in other words, recruit guys with the most stars next to their names).
Prove me wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT