ADVERTISEMENT

Donald Trump tests positive for Coronavirus

Great, In order to “compare apples to apples” take the death rate of COVID and apply to H1N1 and tell me how many deaths there would have been on the Obama/Biden watch....

you are the one wanting to “compare apples to apples”
A) But therein lies the flaw. You are trying to say that if Biden had been in charge of the Covid response, more people would have died because if he allowed 60 million people to contract H1N1, then he obviously would have also allowed 60 million people to get Covid. But it's already possible that 75 million have contracted Covid under Trump's watch, and in a quarter of the time period.

B) You are basing this on the assumption that the response to H1N1 would be the same if it had the same mortality rate as Covid. I believe that to be an disingenuous assumption. Even if you do assume that 10x as many cases of Covid exist, that still puts the mortality rate at ~0.2%. H1N1 is .02%, 10x less lethal. It is a hypothetical, but a logical one, that the administration would have acted in more extreme measures if it was known that H1N1 had a much larger mortality rate similar to the initial projections of 3% to 5% which is what Covid was being recorded at.

A) But therein lies the flaw. You are trying to say that if Biden had been in charge of the Covid response, more people would have died because if he allowed 60 million people to contract H1N1, then he obviously would have also allowed 60 million people to get Covid. But it's already possible that 75 million have contracted Covid under Trump's watch, and in a quarter of the time period.

B) You are basing this on the assumption that the response to H1N1 would be the same if it had the same mortality rate as Covid. I believe that to be an disingenuous assumption. Even if you do assume that 10x as many cases of Covid exist, that still puts the mortality rate at ~0.2%. H1N1 is .02%, 10x less lethal. It is a hypothetical, but a logical one, that the administration would have acted in more extreme measures if it was known that H1N1 had a much larger mortality rate similar to the initial projections of 3% to 5% which is what Covid was being recorded at.

Did you go back an revise all of the H1N1 deaths for everyone who died that may have had H1N1?

How many people were tested for H1N1? Why wasn’t more people tested like the 100MM tests in six months by this administration?

Last edited:

Biden is FOS. He has yet to come up with anything other than a mask mandate.
He wouldn't have restricted travel, he wouldn't have initiated the DPA, would he have organized private industry to expedite making a vaccine? Would he have gotten the military involved to expedite the vaccine once produced.
Trump is on top of this.
I see BIDEN buy America adds, where did he get that idea? 47 years late don't you think.
We don't have a clue where Biden stands on stacking the SC, fracking, the green new deal or foreign policy.
He has said he will give illegal immigrants free medical insurance, Brazil 200 billion to quit deforesting the rain forests, China will get millions to get their factories running greener, the Paris Accord, Iran sanctions will get lifted so China will have a bounty of oil. The result, China will use the money to buy US savings bonds and Iran to enhance their nuclear and terror programs. Will Hunter get a kick bac from China and Iran?
Our taxes will get raised. And lord help the USA if Kamala Harris and AOC take over.

Is this his policy? Come on Joe, let us know where you really stand.

Did you go back an revise all of the H1N1 deaths for everyone who died that may have had H1N1?

How many people were tested for H1N1? Why wasn’t more people tested like the 100MM tests in six months by this administration?
Huh? If you are asking what I think you are asking, then yes. The CDC ESTIMATED that ~12,500 people died.

The testing kits were developed about 2 weeks after the first cases in the US were discovered.
"
CDC Laboratories Bolster Nation’s Testing Capacity
While initial efforts were underway to develop a safe and effective vaccine to protect people against 2009 H1N1, work also was being done at CDC to help laboratories supporting health care professionals to more quickly identify the 2009 H1N1 virus in samples from patients. The real-time PCR test developed by CDC was cleared for use by diagnostic laboratories by FDA under an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) on April 28, 2009, less than two weeks after identification of the new pandemic virus.

I do not know the exact number of tests that were made, but from the site, is does indicate that at least 1 million tests were made available.

From looking at the data, it appears that the 60 million number is mostly based upon estimates of hospitalizations during the time period as opposed to confirmed cases.

Not really sure what point you are trying to make. H1N1, despite the boogeyman you are trying to make it out to be, was essentially...a bad flu. It's mortality rate wasn't particularly different from other standard flu variants. What made it stand out was that it's mortality rate amongst children / younger people was significantly higher.

You can say that we got "lucky" that H1N1 wasn't worse, but again, that is based upon the assumption that the administration would have done the exactly the same thing even if the mortality rate was much higher.

Feel free to read the entire response in the link above. The virus was discovered, test kits were made, a vaccination was developed. Generally the same formula / response as Covid. Initial mortality rates were being reported as 3 to 5%, so the timetables and responses were appropriately higher.

I was in a discussion a couple of weeks ago with another poster about "how many deaths would we have if Hillary had been president instead of Trump". I am on record and answered honestly that it would have still been in the 120,000+ range. I don't have a particular problem with the Trump administration's response for the first few months (March - April). I think a democratic admin would have essentially done most of the same steps. The difference is June and beyond. While Trump encouraged states to open back up and was setting a bad precedent by demonizing mask-wearing, I believe that a Hillary (and/or Biden admin if you prefer) would have taken things more slowly. I can't prove that, but it seems to fit their personalities. You can believe what you want to believe, and I doubt I can change your mind, but there is little evidence to suggest that a democratic admin would have performed significantly worse, which is the core concept of what you are implying.

Reactions: PUBV and Bill4411
Biden is FOS. He has yet to come up with anything other than a mask mandate.
He wouldn't have restricted travel, he wouldn't have initiated the DPA, would he have organized private industry to expedite making a vaccine? Would he have gotten the military involved to expedite the vaccine once produced.
Trump is on top of this.
How do you know? That is conjecture at best. The only argument you have even a shred of evidence to support that claim is Biden talking about the ban being Xenophopic. However, Biden made that statement at the time when the nation was just really learning about Covid. Trump had access to that information MONTHS before Biden did. You can not prove a single thing you just said because you can't "prove" a negative. For the record, yes, Biden saying that, even at that time when info was low, was stupid. Trump's travel ban was the right call. I will absolutely give him credit for that. However, you do not know how Biden would have responded if he was receiving the intelligence reports that Trump was.

As for the rest, everything there has nothing to do with the argument being discussed. If you wish to take that over to a separate thread, we can discuss those items there, but they are irrelevant for this current discussion.

And on the third day...

v28kljfbtbr51.png

Reactions: TopSecretBoiler
Huh? If you are asking what I think you are asking, then yes. The CDC ESTIMATED that ~12,500 people died.

The testing kits were developed about 2 weeks after the first cases in the US were discovered.
"
While initial efforts were underway to develop a safe and effective vaccine to protect people against 2009 H1N1, work also was being done at CDC to help laboratories supporting health care professionals to more quickly identify the 2009 H1N1 virus in samples from patients. The real-time PCR test developed by CDC was cleared for use by diagnostic laboratories by FDA under an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) on April 28, 2009, less than two weeks after identification of the new pandemic virus.

I do not know the exact number of tests that were made, but from the site, is does indicate that at least 1 million tests were made available.

From looking at the data, it appears that the 60 million number is mostly based upon estimates of hospitalizations during the time period as opposed to confirmed cases.

Not really sure what point you are trying to make. H1N1, despite the boogeyman you are trying to make it out to be, was essentially...a bad flu. It's mortality rate wasn't particularly different from other standard flu variants. What made it stand out was that it's mortality rate amongst children / younger people was significantly higher.

You can say that we got "lucky" that H1N1 wasn't worse, but again, that is based upon the assumption that the administration would have done the exactly the same thing even if the mortality rate was much higher.

Feel free to read the entire response in the link above. The virus was discovered, test kits were made, a vaccination was developed. Generally the same formula / response as Covid. Initial mortality rates were being reported as 3 to 5%, so the timetables and responses were appropriately higher.

I was in a discussion a couple of weeks ago with another poster about "how many deaths would we have if Hillary had been president instead of Trump". I am on record and answered honestly that it would have still been in the 120,000+ range. I don't have a particular problem with the Trump administration's response for the first few months (March - April). I think a democratic admin would have essentially done most of the same steps. The difference is June and beyond. While Trump encouraged states to open back up and was setting a bad precedent by demonizing mask-wearing, I believe that a Hillary (and/or Biden admin if you prefer) would have taken things more slowly. I can't prove that, but it seems to fit their personalities. You can believe what you want to believe, and I doubt I can change your mind, but there is little evidence to suggest that a democratic admin would have performed significantly worse, which is the core concept of what you are implying.
I marvel at the “well what about H1N1” argument that people are still trying to make! It’s down to a few choice people, but there are still a few. Here I’ll try, more infections than COVID, but Biden allowed only 12,500 deaths over 2 years vs don’s 210,000 and counting over just 8 months. Biden knocked it out of the park!

Reactions: indy35
Still really struggling with the press through all of this. He received the Pfizer cocktail, which, as prescribed contains a steroid, among other drugs...somehow the press has cherry picked this steroid as something given only to the worst cases. Can’t they even admit it’s just part of the Pfizer cocktail whether it’s needed or not? (And before someone takes a shot at this, I have a Very close relative on the Lilly Covid team, so I do know). Trump is no saint- no politician is...but the press is just inexcusably blinded by their hatred of him to the point that they continue to invent stories.

Still really struggling with the press through all of this. He received the Pfizer cocktail, which, as prescribed contains a steroid, among other drugs...somehow the press has cherry picked this steroid as something given only to the worst cases. Can’t they even admit it’s just part of the Pfizer cocktail whether it’s needed or not? (And before someone takes a shot at this, I have a Very close relative on the Lilly Covid team, so I do know). Trump is no saint- no politician is...but the press is just inexcusably blinded by their hatred of him to the point that they continue to invent stories.

I am not sure that you are correct about the severity of his case as I just watched ABC news and it appears he is not as well as he claims. Doctor Conley said we will not really know the course of his illness from this virus until “next weekend” And there were a couple of questions about specifics of his illness that they refused to answer??? Also, they twice said he would be carefully monitored. My concern is the people who he will expose since the staff will not be able to follow protocols for Covid as well as a hospital can.

I am not sure that you are correct about the severity of his case as I just watched ABC news and it appears he is not as well as he claims. Doctor Conley said we will not really know the course of his illness from this virus until “next weekend” And there were a couple of questions about specifics of his illness that they refused to answer??? Also, they twice said he would be carefully monitored.
Yay...the news reported something with a direct quote. Doesn’t really change the fact that the steroid was part of the cocktail that’s being tested, and not prescribed individually as a precaution/suppressive. There should be caution just due to his age alone, but for the press (cnn) to say that he “hobbled” to the helicopter is just another example of the wild, unreliable reporting.

I could be wrong, but I believe the press is referring to his doctor starting him on a course of dexamethasone therapy yesterday. Dexamethasone therapy is usually most effective on COVID patients on a vent or supplemental O2. I don’t think they are referring to the 1x dose included in his cocktail

They were reporting the steroid on Saturday. They’ve simply split the drug cocktail apart to build a story.

I could be wrong, but I believe the press is referring to his doctor starting him on a course of dexamethasone therapy yesterday. Dexamethasone therapy is usually most effective on COVID patients on a vent or supplemental O2. I don’t think they are referring to the 1x dose included in his cocktail

I think you are right. They also said that he received “treatments that are not yet available to the general public”.

I think you are right. They also said that he received “treatments that are not yet available to the general public”.
Yeah- that would be the Pfizer Covid cocktail. I don’t want to be insulting, but is it not clear that the Pfizer treatment is still experimental? I think it’s either already in phase 3 or headed there.
Edit: btw- The Pfizer package was selected Friday afternoon, that’s why I’m confident that the steroid reporting on Saturday was simply a result of the press creating news.

Last edited:

"

the point I was trying to make was that if Joe had been in charge 60MM would have gotten infected that number is much lower today. Obama got 1MM tests out (CDC actually did not screw that up). Trump has only 7+MM infected (much lower than Joe) and has 100MM tested (10X the number Joe and O got out).

Yeah- that would be the Pfizer Covid cocktail. I don’t want to be insulting, but is it not clear that the Pfizer treatment is still experimental? I think it’s either already in phase 3 or headed there.
Edit: btw- The Pfizer package was selected Friday afternoon, that’s why I’m confident that the steroid reporting on Saturday was simply a result of the press creating news.

I think that the words "experimental" and "not yet available" are not the same. I used "not yet available".

I think you're trying to find a reason to go after the press. Everything I'm reading says the cocktail and steroid were two different treatments......given different days......which makes sense because they are doing different things to fight the disease.
Maybe you should provide a link.

I think that the words "experimental" and "not yet available" are not the same. I used "not yet available".
Ok. You split whatever hair you would like to...you know experimental is not available to the public...I tried to provide some information, but it’s clear you really don’t want the truth.
Have a blessed evening.

I think you're trying to find a reason to go after the press. Everything I'm reading says the cocktail and steroid were two different treatments......given different days......which makes sense because they are doing different things to fight the disease.
Maybe you should provide a link.

that’s how the cocktail works.. it’s not what you’d call a “co-pack”. You simply take the different components that are prescribed in the trial and dose them per the trial Guidelines. I’m done. You all don’t really care to know anything beyond what the press is feeding you. Have a remarkable evening.

that’s how the cocktail works.. it’s not what you’d call a “co-pack”. You simply take the different components that are prescribed in the trial and dose them per the trial Guidelines. I’m done. You all don’t really care to know anything beyond what the press is feeding you. Have a remarkable evening.
Then provide a link. That's how this stuff works. Shouldn't be so hard. You might even be right. But you go attacking the press with an accusation when you haven't established anything but your hostility toward them.

Reactions: PUBV
Then provide a link. That's how this stuff works. Shouldn't be so hard. You might even be right. But you go attacking the press with an accusation when you haven't established anything but your hostility toward them.
I haven’t followed all the coverage, but I didn’t hear the press mention dexamethasone until the doctor mentioned he started it Saturday at a press conference on Sunday. Not quite sure why boilermakerg got testy

I haven’t followed all the coverage, but I didn’t hear the press mention dexamethasone until the doctor mentioned he started it Saturday at a press conference on Sunday. Not quite sure why boilermakerg got testy
You think my reply to you was testy? Lol. You said it was “yesterday”, implying Sunday, I simply mentioned it was Saturday that it was reported in my response to you. Why are you intentionally mischaracterizing my response to you? Are you a member of the press?

Reactions: indy35 and PUBV
I've only read a few things from you........and they all involved blaming the media. Not hard to figure out the rest.
Yeah- my bad,I spend most of my time on the pay board, so most of what you’re getting is in this thread...are you trying to mislead people? But, if you choose to be led around by the nose by the media, that’s on you. (I guess you opted not to read the Pfizer protocol that you demanded as a chip to play your game?)

You think my reply to you was testy? Lol. You said it was “yesterday”, implying Sunday, I simply mentioned it was Saturday that it was reported in my response to you. Why are you intentionally mischaracterizing my response to you? Are you a member of the press?
I actually don’t think you responded to me directly did you? I don’t know how I mischaracterized what you said. I’ve not watched all the coverage of this, but I didn’t see coverage of dexamethasone therapy until it was actually mentioned that he was on dexamethasone therapy, not you’re cherry picked from his cocktail story. Maybe you have an example you can share with us. I am a member of the press, I love “fake news”

but I didn’t see coverage of dexamethasone therapy until it was actually mentioned that he was on dexamethasone therapy,”
lol...this is GOLD. You didn’t see coverage until you saw coverage. Media...lol.

I actually don’t think you responded to me directly did you? I don’t know how I mischaracterized what you said. I’ve not watched all the coverage of this, but I didn’t see coverage of dexamethasone therapy until it was actually mentioned that he was on dexamethasone therapy, not you’re cherry picked from his cocktail story. Maybe you have an example you can share with us. I am a member of the press, I love “fake news”
Specifically what story would you like to be shared Mr Op Ed? As you may or may not be aware from coverage that you weren’t aware of until it was covered, there are no other media rattles regarding the drug combination, outside of the present discussion. How very clever of you.

Yeah- my bad,I spend most of my time on the pay board, so most of what you’re getting is in this thread...are you trying to mislead people? But, if you choose to be led around by the nose by the media, that’s on you. (I guess you opted not to read the Pfizer protocol that you demanded as a chip to play your game?)
Lol. It's 137 pages......and an area I'm not educated in. So no, I didn't read it to see if you know wtf you're talking about. Another Trumper crying about media treatment isn't really worth my time.
Congrats, you win.

Lol. It's 137 pages......and an area I'm not educated in. So no, I didn't read it to see if you know wtf you're talking about. Another Trumper crying about media treatment isn't really worth my time.
Congrats, you win.

Have you checked in on Jen?

Pretty sure needs 10mg of Haldol.

Specifically what story would you like to be shared Mr Op Ed? As you may or may not be aware from coverage that you weren’t aware of until it was covered, there are no other media rattles regarding the drug combination, outside of the present discussion. How very clever of you.
Again, you say you are displeased with the media for reporting on dexamethasone. You say this coverage began Saturday and was misleading because the dexamethasone was part of the drug cocktail don received Friday. Some of us were not aware of this media coverage and asked for an example, you provided a link to a 127 page article about the drug cocktail itself. My response to you was I only saw or read about dons dexamethasone therapy on Sunday when his doctors publicly stated that he began a course of therapy with dexamethasone sometime on Saturday. And yes, the media did emphasize that a course of dexamethasone therapy is usually reserved for sicker patients. If you heard this info on Saturday the 3rd, and it was based only on the 1x dose you say he received with his drug cocktail, should be pretty easy to find an article. I’ve not found anything, but there could be something out there

How do you know? That is conjecture at best. The only argument you have even a shred of evidence to support that claim is Biden talking about the ban being Xenophopic. However, Biden made that statement at the time when the nation was just really learning about Covid. Trump had access to that information MONTHS before Biden did. You can not prove a single thing you just said because you can't "prove" a negative. For the record, yes, Biden saying that, even at that time when info was low, was stupid. Trump's travel ban was the right call. I will absolutely give him credit for that. However, you do not know how Biden would have responded if he was receiving the intelligence reports that Trump was.

As for the rest, everything there has nothing to do with the argument being discussed. If you wish to take that over to a separate thread, we can discuss those items there, but they are irrelevant for this current discussion.
I was trying to make the point that Biden, in 47 years of public work, has yet to come up with any solutions on his own.
He would not have restricted travel from China or Europe. He stated such.
If he listened to the experts he would have asked governors to put a mask mandate in place, than asked them to remove the mandate, than asked them to put the mandate back in place.
We have learned much about this virus in the last 9 months. So it's easy to second guess what could have been done. I think Trump has done a pretty good job.

I was trying to make the point that Biden, in 47 years of public work, has yet to come up with any solutions on his own.
He would not have restricted travel from China or Europe. He stated such.
If he listened to the experts he would have asked governors to put a mask mandate in place, than asked them to remove the mandate, than asked them to put the mandate back in place.
We have learned much about this virus in the last 9 months. So it's easy to second guess what could have been done. I think Trump has done a pretty good job.
For the record, Biden did "flip" and say that the travel restrictions were the right move (https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/politics/joe-biden-trump-china-coronavirus/index.html). It is completely fair to throw it in his face that he flipped on the issue (probably especially because the polls on the issue were not in his favor). Again though, Joe didn't have access to the info that Trump did. You can claim that he wouldn't have made the ban, but we don't know for sure because it's a hypothetical.

As for the mask mandate, it's a bit of a mixed bag for me. I personally am OK with only certain states requiring it because many states need it more than others. And that also changes on a weekly basis as some states grow hot and others cool down. So, I'm kinda meh on it. In the end, I don't have a problem if a nation-wide mandate is made as it is a fairly trivial short-term inconvenience for public health safety.

I agree that the Trump ADMIN has done a pretty good job.
I think that Trump himself, with his.....we'll be polite and say "mixed messaging" has not be good.
I think that Cuomo did a lousy job.
I think that Whitmer was overzealous in restrictions.
I think that Florida, California, Texas, and Georgia governors saw their summer tourist revenue going away, so they decided to risk things and open up too early and didn't push mask mandates enough, and that pretty much was 90% of the reason we had our second wave about three months earlier than all other countries.

There have been plenty of mistakes to go around. The problem is that it seems many of us haven't learned from them and are continuing to make them.

What’s your evidence Biden is “credible”? BIDEN allowed 60,000,000 to get infected with H1N1

That’s 8X more than the current cases of COVID.

LINKS

Even Ron Klain, Biden’s Chief of Staff during the Obamanation, said everyone “got lucky” more people weren’t killed

Sounds like Biden would be as good as Cuomo on COVID response

1.) Biden tells people to wear masks and to social distance.
2.) Biden tells people to listen to the experts on when we should open up the economy, schools, etc..
3.) Biden leads by example and wears a mask even when being chastised for it. (That's a leader !)
4.) Biden says get more PPE and make it here (Trump says no need - it's going away !)
5.) Biden says get more testing (Trump says we've already done more than anyone and besides, it's going away . . . like I said March . . it's going away !)

Trump doesn't do any of them and suggests bleach. I'd say that's a HELL of a lot more credible on COVID, which was my point.

All you are doing is "spinning" the comment, just like your idol.

1.) Biden tells people to wear masks and to social distance.
2.) Biden tells people to listen to the experts on when we should open up the economy, schools, etc..
3.) Biden leads by example and wears a mask even when being chastised for it. (That's a leader !)
4.) Biden says get more PPE and make it here (Trump says no need - it's going away !)
5.) Biden says get more testing (Trump says we've already done more than anyone and besides, it's going away . . . like I said March . . it's going away !)

Trump doesn't do any of them and suggests bleach. I'd say that's a HELL of a lot more credible on COVID, which was my point.

All you are doing is "spinning" the comment, just like your idol.
You left out the minor detail of O'Biden criticizing Trump for barring Chinese from entering US in late Jan. Six weeks later, OB quietly admitted that was the right thing to do. Fauci said it saved thousands of lives.

• Haha
Reactions: TheGunner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT