ADVERTISEMENT

Does the Coronavirus concern you?

Well, it is officially a pandemic now according to the WHO.

Guess I need to go out and buy some toilet paper.

(in fairness, it's because my house is actually running low on toilet paper).

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
5e66b72584159f21ad7f0617.png

So, Trump is acknowledging that this is a big deal. Turns out, yeah, maybe we should listen to the now-vindicated experts who sounded alarms weeks ago.

All the fools trying to minimize this have serious egg on their faces.

So, Trump is acknowledging that this is a big deal. Turns out, yeah, maybe we should listen to the now-vindicated experts who sounded alarms weeks ago.

No President, in history, has been more disrespected by a virus than this President. No President has ever been more disrespected by science than this President.

Just wondering if your still all in on stocks or have you lightened up any?

Haven't sold a single share since this all started last month. 95% invested. I'm at the point now where I just have to ride it out and not try to time the bottom because as soon as I do that, it'll start going back up again. Getting a double whammy right now though b/c I have to write a substantial check to the IRS.

I think it's had a serious impact on the economy and markets more so than the actual health of the general public.
As of today, we only have 1336 cases and 36 deaths in the US. Over 50% of those are from a single nursing home in Seattle.
99+% of people who contract it will have a flu like illness but recover fully. And just like with the flu, if you're elderly, have co-morbidities or a compromised immune system, you're risk of a negative outcome is greater.
Is it serious, sure. Is it worth the panic some people are buying into. No.

I think it's had a serious impact on the economy and markets more so than the actual health of the general public.
As of today, we only have 1336 cases and 36 deaths in the US. Over 50% of those are from a single nursing home in Seattle.
99+% of people who contract it will have a flu like illness but recover fully. And just like with the flu, if you're elderly, have co-morbidities or a compromised immune system, you're risk of a negative outcome is greater.
Is it serious, sure. Is it worth the panic some people are buying into. No.

The spread is almost certainly far greater than we can currently understand and hospitals/clinics are going to be overwhelmed soon, which will translate in more death and suffering from problems not even directly related to the virus.

That's the point of trying to keep this thing from spiking so aggressively. The current admin has failed miserably in that respect. In fact, it made things worse by downplaying the impact up to and until last night.

Italy's current reality is going to be ours within weeks.That's not fear-mongering. That's simply a statement recognizing a likelier-than-not outcome.

The spread is almost certainly far greater than we can currently understand and hospitals/clinics are going to be overwhelmed soon, which will translate in more death and suffering from problems not even directly related to the virus.

That's the point of trying to keep this thing from spiking so aggressively. The current admin has failed miserably in that respect. In fact, it made things worse by downplaying the impact up to and until last night.

Italy's current reality is going to be ours within weeks.That's not fear-mongering. That's simply a statement recognizing a likelier-than-not outcome.

Yeh, of course it's Trumps fault. He should have hit the panic button as soon as the first case entered the US. Then lefties would be screaming that he overreacted.
To lefties, this is a beautiful political opportunity to once again, try to blame something on Trump. (but guess what....it won't stick).

There hasn't been an aggressive spike. Has it grown, sure. Will it continue to grow, yep. Just like the flu has grown. But, again, if you get it, there's a 99.9% liklihood you recover.
People will die from it just like people die from lightning strikes and dog attacks.
This will blow over, the market will recover and grow, and Trump will be re-elected in Nov.
All will be good with the world.

Yeh, of course it's Trumps fault. He should have hit the panic button as soon as the first case entered the US. Then lefties would be screaming that he overreacted.
To lefties, this is a beautiful political opportunity to once again, try to blame something on Trump. (but guess what....it won't stick).

There hasn't been an aggressive spike. Has it grown, sure. Will it continue to grow, yep. Just like the flu has grown. But, again, if you get it, there's a 99.9% liklihood you recover.
People will die from it just like people die from lightning strikes and dog attacks.
This will blow over, the market will recover and grow, and Trump will be re-elected in Nov.

We have vaccines and decades of learnings from dealing with the seasonal flu.

If you want to keep your head buried in the sand and try to rationalize it away as some sort of concerted attack on Trump (the Italians must be in on it, too!), that's your prerogative, I suppose.

Viewing everything through a lens of "the lefties are doing this for political reasons!!!!" really narrows your ability to broaden your own perspective on life.

Also, the data illiterate prejaculatory crowing about the election is so incredibly stupid. Anyone who does that just immediately shows their ass. I feel embarrassed for them every time.

Given we have no tests for the virus the US probably has a lot more cases than have been reported.

If only we could have gotten our hands on more tests earlier.... ..... but somehow we weren't able to do that even though other countries had no problems doing that.

Why you ask? Because our fearless leader and his administration rejected the offer for tests from the WHO. Brilliant leadership. Instead we went the route of "lets pretend if we limit the reporting on the numbers people will just assume it can't get here". Bold strategy.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Bill4411 and indy35
If only we could have gotten our hands on more tests earlier.... ..... but somehow we weren't able to do that even though other countries had no problems doing that.

Why you ask? Because our fearless leader and his administration rejected the offer for tests from the WHO. Brilliant leadership. Instead we went the route of "lets pretend if we limit the reporting on the numbers people will just assume it can't get here". Bold strategy.

giphy.gif
ya that really helped the other countries! lol

Reactions: bonefish1
Why do you think Wall St is pulling back?

I predict (and this is just what my magic all-knowing crystal ball says) that by this time next week, we'll start hearing news of the spread decreasing. The hysterics will subside, the market will rebound nicely and we can all look forward to spring.

I'd toss that crystal ball if I were you

Bone.....this is the ideal situation for liberals. Basically the only people dying are old folks. Primarily old white guys. And liberals hate old rich white guys so it's the perfect storm for them. I'm guessing 99.9% of them are sitting there hoping the Prez is the next one.

A good writeup, for folks who truly want to understand the scope of the issue and not use partisan prejudices to patch together a shitty analysis based on cherry picked data.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beeazlebub

The only fool is you. Once again since you forgot...from ecouch...
In January Trump assembled a coronavirus task force.

https://publicpool.kinja.com/subject-statement-from-the-press-secretary-regarding-t-1841341883

Democrats hated the task force. Why? It was too white.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/30/politics/donald-trump-coronavirus-diversity-obama/index.html

And, he was over-reacting and racist.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...tions-as-nations-coronavirus-cases-rise-to-11

At the same time, the administration issued a statement, pursuant to the Immigration and Nationality Act, limiting the entry into the US of certain foreign nationals.

The only fool is you. Once again since you forgot...from ecouch...
In January Trump assembled a coronavirus task force.

https://publicpool.kinja.com/subject-statement-from-the-press-secretary-regarding-t-1841341883

Democrats hated the task force. Why? It was too white.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/30/politics/donald-trump-coronavirus-diversity-obama/index.html

And, he was over-reacting and racist.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...tions-as-nations-coronavirus-cases-rise-to-11

At the same time, the administration issued a statement, pursuant to the Immigration and Nationality Act, limiting the entry into the US of certain foreign nationals.

Good analysis.

1) citing the creation of a task force that Trump decided to not listen to and actually contradicted multiple times.
2) citing red hering opinion pieces as though they represent the entire ideology of Trump critics

The Trump admin dropped the ball on this. Full stop.

Good analysis.

1) citing the creation of a task force that Trump decided to not listen to and actually contradicted multiple times.
2) citing red hering opinion pieces as though they represent the entire ideology of Trump critics

The Trump admin dropped the ball on this. Full stop.
He was on this in january while ignorant libs were calling him an over-reacting racist. FULL STOP. Get a hold of your bullshit sir.

He was on this in january while ignorant libs were calling him an over-reacting racist. FULL STOP. Get a hold of your bullshit sir.

Why didn't he listen to his experts? Why wasn't mass-testing and social distancing already put in place once US cases were confirmed? These were all clear recommended solutions that other countries (South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan) have implemented successfully.

Aren't you the one who took his lead and implied this virus isn't a big deal bc Ebola has a 90% (it's actually ~50%) mortality rate? I guess this gaslighting about libs isn't too shocking and all you've got.

Why didn't he listen to his experts? Why wasn't mass-testing and social distancing already put in place once US cases were confirmed? These were all clear recommended solutions that other countries (South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan) have implemented successfully.

Aren't you the one who took his lead and implied this virus isn't a big deal bc Ebola has a 90% (it's actually ~50%) mortality rate? I guess this gaslighting about libs isn't too shocking and all you've got.
It's not a big deal to me. I don't care at all. I have changed no plans including vacations. But that doesn't mean trump was doing nothing. I would try to move the goalposts if I were you too though...keep turning it up to 11. I'm sure the iu fans on here will like your posts.

and i QUOTED AND LINKED the article with stats on ebola. no surprise you didn't read it. You don't read anything. You just scream like a little kid.

Bone.....this is the ideal situation for liberals. Basically the only people dying are old folks. Primarily old white guys. And liberals hate old rich white guys so it's the perfect storm for them. I'm guessing 99.9% of them are sitting there hoping the Prez is the next one.

lol coming from the guy posting earlier about "unity." Please dude, like that's even possible when you reveal the seething hatred you clearly have for folks simply because they disagree with you politically. What a disgusting thing to assume about people. Reveals more about you than anything else.

and i QUOTED AND LINKED the article with stats on ebola. no surprise you didn't read it. You don't read anything. You just scream like a little kid.

lol it had an upper range of 90 in a particular region, but it clearly isn't an established number.

It's also utterly irrelevant with respect to concern about COVID-19.

lol it had an upper range of 90 in a particular region, but it clearly isn't an established number.

It's also utterly irrelevant with respect to concern about COVID-19.
it was a recent pandemic. so yes it was relevant...and it was 90% in certain regions of africa. once again all in the article...

Simple answer....we didn't have the tests available. And if you read, you'll find out that many tests being used by other countries today aren't really all that accurate. This is my country and trust those elected to protect my family and your's which is...the number one job of Congress, the Senate, and the Prez. I'm going to wash my hands, avoid what I can avoid, and pray I or my loved ones don't get it.

Reactions: SKYDOG
I'd toss that crystal ball if I were you

Hey, I admit when I'm wrong. And I was wrong on that one.
No big deal. It's happened before, it'll happen again. Not sorry.
Definitely going to be calling that crystal ball manufacturer and asking for a replacement.

Hey numbnuts....if mass testing were enacted in January, guess what would have happened: You would have had mass negative results, which would have confirmed that the spread was not as severe as was thought.
And, just like with the flu, you don't test asymptomatic people because the numbers will skew the true prevalence and positive predictive value of the diagnostics. (I could explain this to you in statistical and clinical terms but you wouldn't understand)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT