ADVERTISEMENT

Does the Coronavirus concern you?

BSIT

All-American
Feb 2, 2011
Poipu, HI
Not a political post. I have concerns about the US being so dependent on China imports especially medicine. I take blood pressure medication that has some batches manufactured in China and some of those were recalled due to carcinogenic contaminates. Fortunately none of my batches were impacted but this whole Cvirus mess got me thinking they are more out of control than what they are saying

Not a political post. I have concerns about the US being so dependent on China imports especially medicine. I take blood pressure medication that has some batches manufactured in China and some of those were recalled due to carcinogenic contaminates. Fortunately none of my batches were impacted but this whole Cvirus mess got me thinking they are more out of control than what they are saying
The small amount of cases in Italy is alarming. A coworker and good friend of mine just booked a ten day trip over there at the end of March. Hoping progress is made before then.

Rural Indiana has some advantages, not saying safe by any means. I don't plan to fly anywhere either, but it's getting alarming

The supply worries are legit.

Not so worried about virus because it is way more dangerous to asian men who are smokers, the mortality rate is highest among those people for various reasons including genetics. Its spread thru the usual ways, as well as fecal, which is a major problem in Asia, the land of squat toilets, but not as much here. Finally, we will likely see the growth start to fade dramatically as the flu season abates...which will buy us time to develop a vaccine.

Last edited:
One interesting thing about some cases is the inability to link them to other cases. I know this was true of some cases in Italy.

Reactions: BSIT
There is quite a lot of sensationalism by the media. Influenza 2019-2020 has killed more than 10,000 in the US. Tried to find a couple sources for Europe, only found one with any info. Think the influenza deaths are 40,000 plus.

Reactions: bonefish1
Wife works in corporate of a hospital system. They are having issues with keeping product in stock due to their vendors having some of them made in China. When their vendors go to US manufacturers, it is still back ordered since everyone needs it.

Masks carried in hospitals for every day use don't stop the virus, but they are dealing with people just taking(stealing) boxes of them due to misinformation out there about it. Obviously causes an issue with needing masks for procedures and what not.

Reactions: SKYDOG and BSIT
Not so worried about virus because it is way more dangerous to asian men who are smokers, the mortality rate is highest among those people for various reasons including genetics. Its spread thru the usual ways, as well as fecal, which is a major problem in Asia, the land of squat toilets, but not as much here. Finally, we will likely see the growth start to fade dramatically as the flu season abates...which will buy us time to develop a vaccine.

You need to get your information from somewhere else than wherever you got the above BS. Virus can affect everyone; though young kids and the elderly are more likely to not be cured.

Reactions: Beeazlebub
And not that Drumpf can personally stop it from entering, but doesn't help he's an idiot:

In 2018, the Trump administration fired the government’s entire pandemic response chain of command, including the White House management infrastructure.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/3...ited-states-public-health-emergency-response/

In May 2018, Trump ordered the NSC’s entire global health security unit shut down, calling for reassignment of Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer and dissolution of his team inside the agency. The month before, then-White House National Security Advisor John Bolton pressured Ziemer’s DHS counterpart, Tom Bossert, to resign along with his team. Neither the NSC nor DHS epidemic teams have been replaced. The global health section of the CDC was so drastically cut in 2018 that much of its staff was laid off and the number of countries it was working in was reduced from 49 to merely 10.

Not worried, not even a little bit healthwise, My biggest concern is how it's impacted my investment portfolio.
I realize people are dying of this virus, but 1000X more are dying from the flu.

Not worried, not even a little bit healthwise, My biggest concern is how it's impacted my investment portfolio.
I realize people are dying of this virus, but 1000X more are dying from the flu.
I kinda agree with this. The bigger impact (short term) is going to be financially.
With that said, it is currently a "nebulous" threat. Right now, it's kinda a "over there" problem. If there is a massive outbreak in this country, I am sure I will start taking more precautions.
The flu is currently more "deadly" because about 1 in 400 die from it. I believe I read lately that Corona virus kills about 1 in 100. If Coronavirus starts to spread at the level that the flu does, you are looking at about 300,000 deaths per year.

I kinda agree with this. The bigger impact (short term) is going to be financially.
With that said, it is currently a "nebulous" threat. Right now, it's kinda a "over there" problem. If there is a massive outbreak in this country, I am sure I will start taking more precautions.
The flu is currently more "deadly" because about 1 in 400 die from it. I believe I read lately that Corona virus kills about 1 in 100. If Coronavirus starts to spread at the level that the flu does, you are looking at about 300,000 deaths per year.

Wasn't SARS supposed to be the last global pandemic that was going to wipe out 50% of the global population?

Reactions: glidresquirrel
Would you go to the Caribbean with your kids on Spring break. They are older than 11...I am thinking about cancelling

Would you go to the Caribbean with your kids on Spring break. They are older than 11...I am thinking about cancelling

I just got back from the Bahamas and am heading to Puerto Rico with the family in April. Not even thinking twice about it.

While the media has played it up some, lots of naive people in this thread. As I said above, wife works in corporate side of a hospital network and they're very concerned.

Also as I said above, the Cheeto in Chief gutted the department that would be dealing with this.

he also cut CDC funding by 9%.

Last edited:
While the media has played it up some, lots of naive people in this thread. As I said above, wife works in corporate side of a hospital network and they're very concerned.

Also as I said above, the Cheeto in Chief gutted the department that would be dealing with this.

I work in hospitals as well. The concern is for supply disruption from vendors that source from China, not the disease itself.
I remember when ebola was the big issue 5-6 years ago and hospitals were literally building quarantine areas that never were used.

ha ha. Leave it to a lefty.....I knew this was somehow Trumps fault.

I think the coronavirus illustrates perfectly the difference between legitimate news organizations and right wing media. If this was going on during a Democratic administration, right wing media would be apoplectic going after the President. Anyone remember Ebola during Obama's presidency? Right wing media hammered Obama 24/7, terrorists were going to sneak ebola infected people across the southern border, just all kinds of unhinged attacks.
The ebola outbreak was nothing compared to the spread of the coronavirus and Trump's done nothing but downplay it. If legitimate media was anything like right wing media, that is all they'd be talking about and they'd be hammering Trump 24/7 for his lack of response.

I think the coronavirus illustrates perfectly the difference between legitimate news organizations and right wing media. If this was going on during a Democratic administration, right wing media would be apoplectic going after the President. Anyone remember Ebola during Obama's presidency? Right wing media hammered Obama 24/7, terrorists were going to sneak ebola infected people across the southern border, just all kinds of unhinged attacks.
The ebola outbreak was nothing compared to the spread of the coronavirus and Trump's done nothing but downplay it. If legitimate media was anything like right wing media, that is all they'd be talking about and they'd be hammering Trump 24/7 for his lack of response.

All we need now is for Doubles to weigh in on why this is Trumps fault and we'll have the 3 Stooges of Lefties all having provided their input.

ha ha. Leave it to a lefty.....I knew this was somehow Trumps fault.
I didn't say it was Drumpf's fault tic dick. I actually said above he couldn't stop it from entering the US. His moronic decisions though will cause issues.

I work in hospitals as well. The concern is for supply disruption from vendors that source from China, not the disease itself.
I remember when ebola was the big issue 5-6 years ago and hospitals were literally building quarantine areas that never were used.
no you don't

All we need now is for Doubles to weigh in on why this is Trumps fault and we'll have the 3 Stooges of Lefties all having provided their input.
Just pointing out facts from a discussion with another thread. Typical ignorant conservative.

Just pointing out facts from a discussion with another thread. Typical ignorant conservative.

was just sitting here wondering when someone would make this political an invoke Trumps name and presto! Right on cue, here comes Bob, 35 and just waiting on Double. Perfect comedic timing. Well done.

was just sitting here wondering when someone would make this political an invoke Trumps name and presto! Right on cue, here comes Bob, 35 and just waiting on Double. Perfect comedic timing. Well done.
Were you this upset when Republicans made ebola political? I was simply pointing out the double standard.

Were you this upset when Republicans made ebola political? I was simply pointing out the double standard.

I'm being completely honest, but I don't remember. I'm not saying they didn't, maybe they did, I just don't recall it. If they did, well, shame on them.

"We are very close to a vaccine" so no worries.
Lol, seriously we should be thankful we have free market medicine that has a profit incentive to rapidly develop vaccines. Bernie’s socialized medicine will be slow to react. Maybe Bloomberg can give me some cash for the advice in his debate against Bernie tonight. I think that would be a zinger

Coronavirus epidemic Trump's fault ? Nope.
Bone, you'd need years of remedial home tutoring to even BEGIN to catch up to Moe, Larry & Curly.
Would you be interested in a non-aggression pact ? Probably a good idea.

Lol, seriously we should be thankful we have free market medicine that has a profit incentive to rapidly develop vaccines. Bernie’s socialized medicine will be slow to react. Maybe Bloomberg can give me some cash for the advice in his debate against Bernie tonight. I think that would be a zinger

There are good things and bad things about free-market medicine. One bad thing with the profit motive is the lack of incentive to develop medicine, vaccines, etc for less common or rare diseases or problems.

Reactions: doubleyous and BSIT
There are good things and bad things about free-market medicine. One bad thing with the profit motive is the lack of incentive to develop medicine, vaccines, etc for less common or rare diseases or problems.

This is not true. There is a market for all medicine, certainly when it saves lives. The free market is the best process ever invented for supplying the needs of mankind

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT