ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Furst

No, but it's on Painter to divy up recruiting resources (time, energy, money, etc.) and to decide on a strategy for who to recruit.

He spent resources on recruiting multiple big men whose primary position is the 5 position. By spending resources there, there are fewer resources to spend in other areas, like on guards.

This has now resulted in a roster that makes it difficult for two of this most talented players (TKR and Furst) to contribute optimally.

I certainly hope I'm wrong about the guards.

The Baby Boilers were not just elite because of the elite talent (although that was certainly part of it). They were elite because of how beautifully the pieces fit together.

The same goes for the team with Carsen, Haarms, Eifert, Nojel, etc. that nearly made a Final Four. The pieces fit very well together.

We will see if Painter can optimize the pieces with this team based on how the roster has been built.
Simply not true.
There isn't a single person in Indiana that thought Zach was going to dominate the position and it's minutes.
If you're suggesting matt should have known, well....... ;)
WELL known that TKR came to Purdue in part because they viewed him as a forward.
You're creating a narrative that isnt' accurate.

Simply not true.
There isn't a single person in Indiana that thought Zach was going to dominate the position and it's minutes.
If you're suggesting matt should have known, well....... ;)
WELL known that TKR came to Purdue in part because they viewed him as a forward.
You're creating a narrative that isnt' accurate.
So they viewed him as a forward, it seems like that’s proving to be a bit of a mis-assessment by the staff then, no?

So they viewed him as a forward, it seems like that’s proving to be a bit of a mis-assessment by the staff then, no?
No. It is well documented that he chose Purdue because they were offering him the opportunity to develop as a forward. From all accounts, they continue to do so.

Reactions: tjreese
when Zach is gone... that gives Furst only one yr to show what he's got, Still think CMP should have had the "talk" w/ Morton after last year.
What talk..transfer? Morton if he wants can transfer next year for a 5th season, I for one hope he does that. This year he’ll be a role player, nothing wrong with that.

Fair enough!

Sometimes, players want to play a position that doesn’t actually best suit them.

Happens all the time, even in the NBA.

Furst is a better 5 than a 4.
And sometimes a 7'5" guy that just happens to be the NPOY gets in the way of the best laid plans....

And sometimes a 7'5" guy that just happens to be the NPOY gets in the way of the best laid plans....
Yep! And just because he’s the NPOY doesn’t mean that doesn’t have offsetting effects on other players. Both can be true.

For as dominant as Edey is, it does cause some issues to the overall roster construction flexibility, and it presents some unique challenges for CMP in terms of how to stagger minutes.

• Love
Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
😁 I'm taking that as a "visual" issue due to distance and THAT certainly is in play! I don't know how to describe it, but appears a bit wobbly horizontally as he is thrusting. I can't see it from my seat, but in the scrimmages where I get a close seat it appears such.

😁 I'm taking that as a "visual" issue due to distance and THAT certainly is in play! I don't know how to describe it, but appears a bit wobbly horizontally as he is thrusting. I can't see it from my seat, but in the scrimmages where I get a close seat it appears such.
I pointed this out last year and you chimed in on it, even on the 3 pt'er he made, when the wrists go forward and follow thru it seems like the 4 fingers on his shooting hand veer to the left instead o a straight follow thru

Reactions: tjreese
I pointed this out last year and you chimed in on it, even on the 3 pt'er he made, when the wrists go forward and follow thru it seems like the 4 fingers on his shooting hand veer to the left instead o a straight follow thru
I thought it was a subtle joke due to the distance to see it. Glad you clarified and now I do recall that! ;)

Yep! And just because he’s the NPOY doesn’t mean that doesn’t have offsetting effects on other players. Both can be true.

For as dominant as Edey is, it does cause some issues to the overall roster construction flexibility, and it presents some unique challenges for CMP in terms of how to stagger minutes.
yes, which isn't anything close to the same thing as blaming Matt for mis managing recruiting.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Where did I blame? Calling something a mis-assessment isn’t blaming. None of us assess correctly 100% of the time.
within the context of how it was said? Of course it is.

Here's some context:

Furst should be playing the 5 and not the 4.

The 5 is his ideal position. He's not skilled enough/not consistent enough as a shooter to play the 4. His athleticism and quickness for his size would create a ton of mismatches if he played the 5, similar to what Omoruyi on Rutgers does.

Pikell uses Omoruyi how Painter should be using Furst. But Purdue has Painter, so it is what it is.

Unfortunately, because of the way Painter has built the roster -- with a logjam of talented big men -- it forces guys like Furst to play in suboptimal positions next to Zach.

And there was:

Instead of having a logjam like that, it may have been better to spend more time/energy/recruiting resources on locking in another dynamic guard.

Or: Now go be brilliant and not lose to a double-digit seed in March with the NPOY on your roster. Hopefully he figures it out soon!

Mis-assessment, sure............

Last edited:
within the context of how it was said? Of course it is.

Here's some context:

Furst should be playing the 5 and not the 4.

The 5 is his ideal position. He's not skilled enough/not consistent enough as a shooter to play the 4. His athleticism and quickness for his size would create a ton of mismatches if he played the 5, similar to what Omoruyi on Rutgers does.

Pikell uses Omoruyi how Painter should be using Furst. But Purdue has Painter, so it is what it is.

Unfortunately, because of the way Painter has built the roster -- with a logjam of talented big men -- it forces guys like Furst to play in suboptimal positions next to Zach.

And there was:

Instead of having a logjam like that, it may have been better to spend more time/energy/recruiting resources on locking in another dynamic guard.

Or: Now go be brilliant and not lose to a double-digit seed in March with the NPOY on your roster. Hopefully he figures it out soon!

Mis-assessment, sure............
Let’s fire Painter and go after Steve Pikiell - YEAH!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT