ADVERTISEMENT

Morton vs. Burns ?

pulax78

Gold Member
Sep 20, 2001
Plantation, FL
Would not be surprised to see Morton on Burns for a few minutes, then if it goes well again in the second half. . Morton has the quickness to and he might be able to keep DJ from getting a few touches. Of course there would be immediate backup help. - Thoughts

Would not be surprised to see Morton on Burns for a few minutes, then if it goes well again in the second half. . Morton has the quickness to and he might be able to keep DJ from getting a few touches. Of course there would be immediate backup help. - Thoughts
If it isn't Zach or Trey, then Caleb. Caleb does have the length and quickness to get on his side and even full denial (side-step-side) and certainly cause problems by running the court. Purdue isn't going to experiment if it doesn't have to do it I don't believe. Zach is a great match, but it does offer potential foul issues. Would love for Trey to defend him, but he will back down Trey if allowed...which means a perimeter player has to stunt or go dig at the ball...or once he backs down so far and then Zach doubles with Trey and then where is Diarra and who keeps him from the ball or board? This is where a perimeter player digging is good "IF" you can leave someone to help off, but then you leave someone open...especially if not sound and turn your back instead of going sideways at it.

He is a passer and so any dig or double can be problematic unless players are big enough to block his passing view and attempt. Purdue will probably try a couple of things, but it may be as simple as Burns getting what he can and Zach and Trey seeing the ball early and drawing fouls and/or scoring early. Not sure he is going to get within 10 points of Zach and so the safer key might be to hone in on Horne at least the first half as he may be the bigger key than Burns while still feeding the ball inside for Purdue unless really good perimeter looks. Burns/Diarra/Middlebrook will experience more post feeds in one game than they probably see in two or three

I would lean towards starting TKR on him, but switching Zach on him when Gillis comes in or if NCState goes 4 out.
I can see that for the reasons I previously stated. When Burns gets deep that is when Zach and Diarra come into play. Burns doesn't have a lot of lift and so Trey can challenge vertically, but Trey gives up about 50 pounds

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I can see that for the reasons I previously stated. When Burns gets deep that is when Zach and Diarra come into play. Burns doesn't have a lot of lift and so Trey can challenge vertically, but Trey gives up about 50 pounds
Morton has been pretty much fazed out, got 3 bigs to use against them, Burns ave only 25 mins /gm, no on Berg and other guys will have to be awake on cutters due to Burns passing ability

Reactions: jindy and tjreese
I doubt we'll see Morton used on Burns; it is totally unconventional. I was looking at different scenarios to spark some discussion on how to cover him. However, it is an intriguing matchup when he is away from the rim. And I think he could be a potential foul problem for Edey, so I don't look for them to go head-to-head right away.

Morton has been pretty much fazed out, got 3 bigs to use against them, Burns ave only 25 mins /gm, no on Berg and other guys will have to be awake on cutters due to Burns passing ability
We will see if Caleb gets a call for a couple of minutes? He should be well rested? Purdue wants to use Zach and Trey/Mason, but if Purdue is getting enough scoring I can see Caleb getting a couple of minutes to rest Zach...should Zach need a rest. However, if NCS is not holding and pushing Zach and playing straight up, Zach will not need as much rest and not be as tired as he was in the Tenn game. If fouled, Zach HAS to be effective at the FT line or it will come back and hurt Purdue as they will give up fouls as needed

I doubt we'll see Morton used on Burns; it is totally unconventional. I was looking at different scenarios to spark some discussion on how to cover him. However, it is an intriguing matchup when he is away from the rim. And I think he could be a potential foul problem for Edey, so I don't look for them to go head-to-head right away.
It will be some bad calls if Zach is in foul trouble I expect. He has played 4 years and maybe less than a handful of games has he been in foul trouble, he should be smart enough to stay out of foul trouble and Matt will attempt to protect him as well...the first half.

We will see if Caleb gets a call for a couple of minutes? He should be well rested? Purdue wants to use Zach and Trey/Mason, but if Purdue is getting enough scoring I can see Caleb getting a couple of minutes to rest Zach...should Zach need a rest. However, if NCS is not holding and pushing Zach and playing straight up, Zach will not need as much rest and not be as tired as he was in the Tenn game. If fouled, Zach HAS to be effective at the FT line or it will come back and hurt Purdue as they will give up fouls as needed
I think Caleb would struggle with Burns too but the biggest thing he can do if he gets into the game is run the floor. Let's make Burns get up and down the floor chasing our players.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
I mean the guy has been playing great but he's not Wilt Chamberlain. If Zach gets a couple fouls you go to TKR or Furst. No idea how you leapt to Morton. Burns would either pass right over him or bury him in the post. There is literally no scenario where Morton lines up on him intentionally unless at least 3 of our bigs have fouled out.

I mean the guy has been playing great but he's not Wilt Chamberlain. If Zach gets a couple fouls you go to TKR or Furst. No idea how you leapt to Morton. Burns would either pass right over him or bury him in the post. There is literally no scenario where Morton lines up on him intentionally unless at least 3 of our bigs have fouled out.
I clarified in a later post - start away from the rim, backup is coming if he drives

I start Edey on him because I don't want him getting his head up early. Make him have to work and doubt to start.

If Edey picks up a foul then switch TKR onto him. Edey is smart to avoid foul trouble although with all the whining I sorta expect him to get about 3 fouls at some point during the game.

Reactions: boilerzz
I clarified in a later post - start away from the rim, backup is coming if he drives
I mean why not just put Lance on him then when he's "away from the rim"?
If he had Morton on him out top he would immediately give up the ball and they would just clear out for him to post up.

I don’t understand why there is so much concern about Burns. He’s a good ball player but he’s not Zach Edey good. Zach plays nearly the entire game. Painter will give Zach his 1 minute rest sometime during Burns’ 14 minutes of rest.

I don’t understand why there is so much concern about Burns. He’s a good ball player but he’s not Zach Edey good. Zach plays nearly the entire game. Painter will give Zach his 1 minute rest sometime during Burns’ 14 minutes of rest.
Shut down Burns and shut down State

Burns kind of reminds me of Great from Ute St that we made OK

If he wasn’t used on Knecht, I don’t see him getting any time on Burns. The trade off of D for O isn’t worth it.

He got 29 pts last game and he's their first option. Stop him, stop NC ST. So the concern is understandable.

If he wasn’t used on Knecht, I don’t see him getting any time on Burns. The trade off of D for O isn’t worth it.
Oops, I was thinking the other DJ who’s playing well for NCS.
But, still don’t think Morton sees the floor.

Whatever happens in the paint on defense, we had better hit our 3pt shots at a decent percentage and at a decent attempt-total.

I can't see it. I'm not saying that Burns sucks, but I don't think he's going to be a major matchup issue for Zach.

Reactions: Abugabby
I can't see it. I'm not saying that Burns sucks, but I don't think he's going to be a major matchup issue for Zach.
Unlike most 6’10 225 bigs, Zach will have to fight for position against Burns. He won’t just be able to lean on him.

Burns had 4 points against Marquette. Horne is a player and Morsell can get going.
so, how did the 5 for Marquette defend? Did he eliminate his touches, because he is not heavy enough to hold ground. I tried looking for that game the other day and all I saw were highlights and not sure now I can work it in

I actually think Furst might be a good option. He may be able to get points against Burns as he's a bit quicker and could draw a few fouls in the process. Of course there's that "weight" difference.

so, how did the 5 for Marquette defend? Did he eliminate his touches, because he is not heavy enough to hold ground. I tried looking for that game the other day and all I saw were highlights and not sure now I can work it in
Ighadoro couldn’t handle him 1 on 1 so they brought a lot of post doubles. Unfortunately for them, Burns is a great passer and had 7 assists.

Reactions: tjreese
Ighadoro couldn’t handle him 1 on 1 so they brought a lot of post doubles. Unfortunately for them, Burns is a great passer and had 7 assists.
I was wondering...couldn't find the game and was curious. Fits my concern on doubling

I mean, I agree, but we did just put Braden on freaking Dalton Knecht 3 days ago…

Reactions: bonefish1
That wasn't his best move ever, but it worked out.
it surprised me, but once I saw it I understood why Purdue did it and what they hoped to accomplish. It was based on improving team D (it starts with D on the PG-Lance) and trying to keep someone quick enough to stay with Kneicht and all the screens they would set knowing you were going to be careful to contest the three ball after trying to make him catch it out a step farther and to just be there with him.

Kneicht got a decent amount of points off of scrambles. The other baskets nobody was going to stop anyway. It did surprise me though. Had it not done what they thought it could or had they thought the scoring was because of it they would have went to a different option. Seeing things like this gives you insight into how the coaches view players on both teams. It will be just as interesting to see how Purdue defends Burns/Diarra. Lance is going to have Horne. Braden on Moresell and Fletch on Taylor is my best guess. I assume Braden and Lance will be on automatic switching to try to corral Horne and keep Morsell out of the lane if possible. Not sure how they will handle a Taylor screen with Horne or Moresell and all this is written without a very informed opinion and very limited video and data. Still, D ing up Burns will be interesting to see. Until shown different I'm more concerned about Horne

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT