ADVERTISEMENT

Available Transfers, Decommitments, and Unsigned Prospects Thread

I have talked to Tom many times. I had two sons that wrestled for the Indiana Freestyle and Greco teams and NWCA Scholastic teams that Tom was involved with. I doubt he would know me from Adam but he would remember my boys.

Wrestling is a combination of team and individual. Not only are there team scores but unlike many truly individual sports (like swimming and track and field) you cannot have a practice without good teammates.

So while my two youngest sons were on high school teams that they were the only ones to place at State (the oldest had several on the team that placed) they rooted on their teammates no matter that teammates record. I can tell you for a fact that the team erupted more to see a teammate win his 5th match of the year than they did one of my boys win his 25th.

I understand that part of chemistry. I do not know anything about wrestling, but always held the understanding that Tom was a pretty good coach. I remember years ago him taking some kids to Russia. Well, if you go see the Boilers 8/12 at Jeff...he might be there working. He was last year. Congrats on your boys...I think wrestling is one physically demanding sport! :) Tom WOULD remember...I'm sure. Did he give your boys nicknames? he might have been held back not having them long...but that was a Tom MIller...matter of fact... :)

In fairness to Nage, I don't see him suggesting we sign all of these guys. He is pointing out the skills from each one that he thinks would help us during a 1 year rental. I have no problem with that concept at all. I would much rather we get a 1 year guy versus giving that scholarship to a walk-on for one year.

At this stage I think it's highly unlikely that we get someone that had the impact of say Octeus. But that doesn't mean we can't get someone that could contribute more than a walk-on.

Sorry to see you jumped in on this and spoke for Nag. I wanted him to reply and confirm as you have speculated. But I see that he has "like" your post, so I guess that is as good as I can expect.

I guess you thought I was sort of "piling on" regarding a topic like this. Sure, I will admit that could be the case, but it is so frustrating to see the comments continue on and on and on that I am not letting it pass without a retort. You know, it would be different if the original suggestion was offered that here is a kid that could be looked at because he fills a certain skill or skills. But it was presented differently such that the coaching staff is stupid that they don't offer this guy. Well, that is a little arrogant in my opinion and deserves the response. It has been going on for years and similar replies have resulted. If you think I am arrogant to make the reply above, so be it and I own it. Nag has offered other information appreciated by others including me. I wish he would just stick with that.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Sorry to see you jumped in on this and spoke for Nag. I wanted him to reply and confirm as you have speculated. But I see that he has "like" your post, so I guess that is as good as I can expect.

I guess you thought I was sort of "piling on" regarding a topic like this. Sure, I will admit that could be the case, but it is so frustrating to see the comments continue on and on and on that I am not letting it pass without a retort. You know, it would be different if the original suggestion was offered that here is a kid that could be looked at because he fills a certain skill or skills. But it was presented differently such that the coaching staff is stupid that they don't offer this guy. Well, that is a little arrogant in my opinion and deserves the response. It has been going on for years and similar replies have resulted. If you think I am arrogant to make the reply above, so be it and I own it. Nag has offered other information appreciated by others including me. I wish he would just stick with that.

I don't think you're arrogant, I don't know you. I just commented to your comment, nothing more than that. It's a message board, if you want or expect a private conversation with someone then you need to PM them. Otherwise it's free game for anyone to comment.

I do think there is a pile on mentality when it comes to Nage but I think he can handle himself. I just comment on the things I have an opinion on, regardless of the person who made the post.

Reactions: Statey and nagemj02
I don't think you're arrogant, I don't know you. I just commented to your comment, nothing more than that. It's a message board, if you want or expect a private conversation with someone then you need to PM them. Otherwise it's free game for anyone to comment.

I do think there is a pile on mentality when it comes to Nage but I think he can handle himself. I just comment on the things I have an opinion on, regardless of the person who made the post.

Cool dude. You are a great Boilermaker. Carry on

I have two thoughts along the same lines. I would hate to bring in a grad transfer who has been very successful at his previous school, and then give him the playing time and roll we gave Spike last year. I believe Spike looked at our past history and thought he'd be given a chance to start over PJ and Edwards. the fact that he received so little playing time could be a huge factor in the decision of the other quality grad transfers looking elsewhere rather than coming to Purdue just to add to our depth and warm our bench. A walk-on could have done for us what Spike did last year. This is nothing against Spike, but Purdue didn't really use his talents last year, and I believe this year would be no different.

Ask yourself, if a grad transfer signed with Purdue, would he be able to start? or just provide more bench depth? and if that's all you want him for, there are many walk-ons who could fill that roll.

This. The question is, will an in-coming grad transfer get the playing time that they think they need to meet their goals. These guys may be coming from a smaller school to be more visible in a big program that's in a big conference and that is guaranteed to be in the tourney. And it has been stated by many here that Painter should sell them on the idea that Purdue's bigs get a shot at the NBA. If other players are taking the playing time that the transfer thinks they need for their shot at the pros, it could create chemistry problems in the locker room and practice. This isn't like a freshman playing behind a junior or senior. The freshman still has a chance to make their mark. But for a grad transfer, it's the last hurrah in college. Do they go out giving it their best shot on a bigger stage, or do they ride the bench?

Makes me wonder if some of these guys were contacted by Purdue but not offered because they wanted a guaranteed starting spot. I know some coaches would give it to them just to sign them.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Also there is little coaches decision who wrestles. None of the fans can get on a forum and complain because coach is not "choosing" the wrestler we want to get more matches.

This is really important. In wrestling, it's decided by head-to-head competition. The wrestler who wins in wrestle-offs wins the varsity spot.

Some people here fret over coaches showing "favoritism" to some players. If you have a Big Dog or Swanigan on your team, it is clear who the starter is. For every position where you have true competition, they are chosen because they are the coach's "favorite" for that role. It's the same in every program. When a coach says he starts his 5 best players, he is starting is his 5 "favorite" players based on his own criteria.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT