ADVERTISEMENT

Available Transfers, Decommitments, and Unsigned Prospects Thread

nagemj02

All-American
Mar 16, 2010
It's already beginning with many teams' seasons ending with losses in their conference tournaments.

This will be the source I go to the most often to see the news of transfers:

http://verbalcommits.com/transfers/2017

The first player I've seen so far that Purdue might want to take a hard look at: G Geno Thorpe (played his two seasons at Penn State and this past season at South Florida):

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66192/geno-thorpe

The knock on him would be that he hasn't played on winning teams. The good thing about him is that he seems to be getting better every season that he plays, plus he has good height/length for a guard. He also must have had the ball in his hands quite a bit this season, seeing that he averaged 4.6 APG.

I'm not saying that he will be one of "the best" transfers available that fills a need for Purdue next season, just that he's good enough to deserve some interest.

Last edited:
It's already beginning with many teams' seasons ending with losses in their conference tournaments.

The first player I've seen so far that Purdue might want to take a hard look at: G Geno Thorpe (played his two seasons at Penn State and this past season at South Florida):

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66192/geno-thorpe

The knock on him would be that he hasn't played on winning teams. The good thing about him is that he seems to be getting better every season that he plays, plus he has good height/length for a guard. He also must have had the ball in his hands quite a bit this season, seeing that he averaged 4.6 APG.

I'm not saying that he will be one of "the best" transfers available that fills a need for Purdue next season, just that he's good enough to deserve some interest.

Thanks! Hope Purdue can find a decent center that is a rebounder/shotblocker in case Haarms and Taylor aren't ready to back up Haas at the 5.

Any guard that is athletic and can defend would be nice addition to projected roster for next year too.

Whatever direction the coaches decide to go with last scholarship should give an idea of what they think of the pieces Purdue has coming in and where this team needs help the most next year.

Reactions: nagemj02
Between graduate transfers and kids that might come open due to firings there will be several opportunities to replace CS...... I believe that would be our only open scholarship??

Do not think we necessarily need to replace CS with a big.....but best available. Afterall, I have. read on here for years Taylor will become our backup center. And we already have Wheeler and Haarms - two long front liners recruited in 2018 to go with Haas. With Edwards Tha makes 5 guys to play 2 spots as Painter likes the 3 guard line ups.

Reactions: dbartn
Always enjoy seeing your thoughts on transfers since you always seem up-to-date on the latest.

Given where the roster for next year stands right now, I think Purdue will be a tough sell to grad transfers. 6 returnees have started for a stretch of this season. If a kid is looking for an opportunity to compete for a starting spot or even major minutes, I don't think Purdue is going to be near the top of his list.

Assuming Eastern is ready to come in & take Spike's minutes, what opportunity or minutes does Painter really have to offer a guard?

Reactions: Schnelk and Heller
Between graduate transfers and kids that might come open due to firings there will be several opportunities to replace CS...... I believe that would be our only open scholarship??

Do not think we necessarily need to replace CS with a big.....but best available. Afterall, I have. read on here for years Taylor will become our backup center. And we already have Wheeler and Haarms - two long front liners recruited in 2018 to go with Haas. With Edwards Tha makes 5 guys to play 2 spots as Painter likes the 3 guard line ups.

Another spot could open if SS goes prep for a year or if someone else besides CS leaves.

I envision Purdue will use it's last scholarship and replace Biggie with either centers Epperson or Ondigo. I believe the only reason they haven't committed yet, is Purdue is waiting for Swanigan to announce he is leaving. I look at Wheeler to be small forward and compete with Mathais and V Edwards for playing time at SF with C Edwards and Eastern starting in the backcourt. and with Mathais also seeing time at SG, and V Edwards also playing PF. I believe the recruitment of Ewing at PF as a juco negates the recruitment of a grad transfer, and Painter will be looking to add a true freshman.

on a related note, there are about 6 uncommitted top 25 high school players. They may be uncommitted because they are not academically eligible yet, or their preferred teams don't have a roster spot available for them. if Purdue has a good run in the tournament, maybe they could draw the interest of one of these top players. Would Bowen be interested in Purdue ? or vice versa? He was rumored to be headed to Mich St. He's a great talent, although, I don't think he'd be a great fit. On the plus side, I don't see any Mich St player declaring for the NBA this year. I'm not sure if Mich St has any scholarships left to offer.

With the firing of Illinois' Croce, is it possible for his recruits to be released from their commitments? Such as PF Tilmon ? or PGs Frazier or Williams ??

Illinois - don't think we are chasing any of their recruits. Also I believe it is dependent on them being released. Usually they will but with stipulations they can't go in conference.

Regarding Bowen - I think we offered but probably not interested on either side. I think he'll end up at Arizona.

Honestly - we have 1 open spot for a big unless Taylor leaves. My current BeefPom metrics show it as 50/50 he comes back

I envision Purdue will use it's last scholarship and replace Biggie with either centers Epperson or Ondigo. I believe the only reason they haven't committed yet, is Purdue is waiting for Swanigan to announce he is leaving. I look at Wheeler to be small forward and compete with Mathais and V Edwards for playing time at SF with C Edwards and Eastern starting in the backcourt. and with Mathais also seeing time at SG, and V Edwards also playing PF. I believe the recruitment of Ewing at PF as a juco negates the recruitment of a grad transfer, and Painter will be looking to add a true freshman.

on a related note, there are about 6 uncommitted top 25 high school players. They may be uncommitted because they are not academically eligible yet, or their preferred teams don't have a roster spot available for them. if Purdue has a good run in the tournament, maybe they could draw the interest of one of these top players. Would Bowen be interested in Purdue ? or vice versa? He was rumored to be headed to Mich St. He's a great talent, although, I don't think he'd be a great fit. On the plus side, I don't see any Mich St player declaring for the NBA this year. I'm not sure if Mich St has any scholarships left to offer.

With the firing of Illinois' Croce, is it possible for his recruits to be released from their commitments? Such as PF Tilmon ? or PGs Frazier or Williams ??

JMO, but I don't want Epperson to play at Purdue. I think he's over-hyped by some folks on here.

Picking up Epperson would be a nice addition

I see Epperson as more of an outside shooting PF than a big force in the middle. I'm not sure if Harmes will be a big force in the paint either. Both are great players, but neither seem to have that enforcer / shot blocker image.

I see Epperson as more of an outside shooting PF than a big force in the middle. I'm not sure if Harmes will be a big force in the paint either. Both are great players, but neither seem to have that enforcer / shot blocker image.
True. But who is currently available that fits that description?

Ondingo might fit the bill - he is more of a traditional 5

I was under the impression that the two late 5s Painter was looking @ (Ondingo Included) were more RS candidate project types for use after Haas left. To fit in with Taylor and company later....if they do work out.

Taylor not going anywhere and will have 2 awesome years at Purdue and Purdue will not go after a 5th year transfer this year or next.

Book it Dano...
I hope you are right but I just don't see it happening.

Ondingo is at prep school and reclassified since he graduated last year

Dang it - well if he signs, I will make sure to get it right.

Pass on Tevin Mack - dude has been suspended way too much at UT.
didn't know that, I'll pass too. What do you know about Williams. I'm sure Weber could give Painter any insights on him.

Word is that Painter is still recruiting him. Why wouldn't you want him?

I don't think he would make the impact that Purdue needs to have in the frontcourt/post. The few times I have seen him play, I was not impressed at all.

didn't know that, I'll pass too. What do you know about Williams. I'm sure Weber could give Painter any insights on him.
Little bit I read was he red shirted his freshman year and has had some feet or leg injuries to start this season and left the team.

Not sure much more than that but I would avoid him bc we already have a guy with feet/leg issues who doesn't play much

I think Bridges from MSU might test the waters.

Reactions: Roeder

I'd be surprised if he doesn't. Some projections I have seen have him near the back part of the lottery. A loose comparison I heard recently was Josh Smith.....I could see a little bit of that. He'll need to ramp up his defense, but he has good range, good size, wonderful athletic ability, a nose for the ball.....can't see him staying around. JMO

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I don't think there is any question. In fact I will be shocked if he doesn't go. Look at Trimble, all he has done by staying is hurt his draft position. Now he may not care and would rather have a degree and enjoy college but, there isn't any question his draft position has been hurt by coming back.

Hello, this is Nathan LeClair from Verbal Commits. Thank you for posting our link!

Transfer season is about to get real crazy...I'm getting a bunch of messages regarding transfers right now. Last year's list finished at just over 800 names; this year's list just passed the 100 mark.

Last year, Purdue's Swanigan and Edwards, UW's Hayes and Trimble all thought about at least finding out where their NBA draft stock would be. you could make the case that only Swanigan's stock increased. At one point in his college career, Trimble was projected as a first round pick. he hasn't really lived up to his hype. Hayes' entire game was based on getting foul calls and making free throws. once players stopped fouling him and allowed him to shoot, he proved how bad he actually is. At this point, I doubt Hayes gets drafted. Edwards took a step back this year as well.. He has been very inconsistent. With Swanigan leaving this year, will Edwards shift back to being a small power forward next year? And will that improve his game? Will it be good enough to make it into the NBA? Or will he just be another nice college forward?

I admit I am no Epperson expert, but Epperson seems to actually be a pretty good shot blocker. The film I looked at he looked pretty good to me and seems to be pretty skilled. He seems quick on his feet. Seems to pass pretty good too. I think with the right mindset and coaching, he could develop into a very good addition and a key player for us in the future. I for one, would be excited if we got him.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
Just out of curiosity. I see quite a few people on here talking about getting another center. Is Haas and Haarms not enough for a position that is becoming less and less relevant in today's game? Not trying to discount our big guys, but how many true 5's do you really want on a roster?

Just out of curiosity. I see quite a few people on here talking about getting another center. Is Haas and Haarms not enough for a position that is becoming less and less relevant in today's game? Not trying to discount our big guys, but how many true 5's do you really want on a roster?
Haarms is not a true 5, maybe not a 5 at all. Can't count on Taylor for anything next year. We need another big.

will Edwards shift back to being a small power forward next year? And will that improve his game? Will it be good enough to make it into the NBA? Or will he just be another nice college forward?
TBH. I don't see Edwards making the NBA unless he improves dramatically over the off-season in making his own plays.

Haarms is not a true 5, maybe not a 5 at all. Can't count on Taylor for anything next year. We need another big.
I ask because I am genuinely curious.

Haarms is 7'2. Isn't a 5 the only position he could play at the college level?

Some clarification:

1. Sasha is not going to prep school. That ship sailed when he committed with an open scholarship
  2. Taylor is not transferring. He would lose a year of eligibility (and maybe two since his medical hardship would be in jeopardy). The only way he's not playing at Purdue next year is if he is hurt again and decides to take a medical scholarship
  3. Purdue won't be interested in any guards and definitely not 5th year guards. The backcourt is crowded and Purdue has tangible frontcourt needs
  4. Tilmon might not play at Illinois but he's not coming to Purdue. He had no interest in Purdue during his initial recruitment.
  5. None of those top 25 guys are giving Purdue a sniff even if we win the National title.
  6. It's extremely unlikely that Eastern takes senior PJ Thompson's starting job
  7. Epperson is more of a 4 than a 5 at this point and not really ready to contribute
  8. Ondigo is likely the freshman recruit most likely help next year
  9. IMO if Taylor is unavailable, Ewing is the most likely candidate to get spot minutes at the five to relieve Haas

Some clarification:

1. Sasha is not going to prep school. That ship sailed when he committed with an open scholarship
  2. Taylor is not transferring. He would lose a year of eligibility (and maybe two since his medical hardship would be in jeopardy). The only way he's not playing at Purdue next year is if he is hurt again and decides to take a medical scholarship
  3. Purdue won't be interested in any guards and definitely not 5th year guards. The backcourt is crowded and Purdue has tangible frontcourt needs
  4. Tilmon might not play at Illinois but he's not coming to Purdue. He had no interest in Purdue during his initial recruitment.
  5. None of those top 25 guys are giving Purdue a sniff even if we win the National title.
  6. It's extremely unlikely that Eastern takes senior PJ Thompson's starting job
  7. Epperson is more of a 4 than a 5 at this point and not really ready to contribute
  8. Ondigo is likely the freshman recruit most likely help next year
  9. IMO if Taylor is unavailable, Ewing is the most likely candidate to get spot minutes at the five to relieve Haas

I think all of your clarifications are simply your opinion, just like mine. I'm almost positive you have written the same thing about transfers in other recent offseasons (i.e. there will be no grad transfers) and you were wrong (2013: Carter, Peck. 2014: Octeus. 2015: Hill. 2016: Albrecht.).

I ask because I am genuinely curious.

Haarms is 7'2. Isn't a 5 the only position he could play at the college level?
He is very thin and plays (currently) more of a euro big man game. Shoots 3's and runs the floor. That doesn't mean he can't change or won't change, I'm just making the point that as he is currently structured he is not a #5 in the B1G. He is more of a #4 or even #3 than he is a traditional #5.

I'm not suggesting that if we don't get another big we are doomed next year (far from it) I just think that with CS leaving the biggest hole we are going to have is in the paint.

He is very thin and plays (currently) more of a euro big man game. Shoots 3's and runs the floor. That doesn't mean he can't change or won't change, I'm just making the point that as he is currently structured he is not a #5 in the B1G. He is more of a #4 or even #3 than he is a traditional #5.

I'm not suggesting that if we don't get another big we are doomed next year (far from it) I just think that with CS leaving the biggest hole we are going to have is in the paint.
Agree on Haarms being more of a 4. Any idea how his defense stacks up? Can he guard a 5? Rebound?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT