ADVERTISEMENT

inaccurate perception or a plus that appeared to me?

tjreese

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2008
Even last year I considered Braden the second most valuable player on the team and could take it a step farther in that Zach was by far the best player, Braden played a crucial role in the team last year. This year I don't think there are a lot of doubters. When he got his second really bad call and went to the bench it "appeared" (right or wrong?) that the team stepped it up a bit AND Lance did fine running the team. He can't do what Braden does, but if he can just manage it a bit...THAT "could" be huge. Glad to see Mason stroke a couple and he was too as you could see on TV. He just needs a split second longer, but him stroking it can be huge as we all know.

Matt can slow it down and be effective. Matt can run when it is there and be effective. Matt has athletes contributing and those two are more athletic than many college players. There is a lot to like about this team going forward, but a team is never as good as it looks when it makes shots or as bad when it doesn't. Hopefully, Purdue plays well if not excellent going forward with really good D, boards and low turnovers...because Zach is a pretty constant to score...

Even last year I considered Braden the second most valuable player on the team and could take it a step farther in that Zach was by far the best player, Braden played a crucial role in the team last year. This year I don't think there are a lot of doubters. When he got his second really bad call and went to the bench it "appeared" (right or wrong?) that the team stepped it up a bit AND Lance did fine running the team. He can't do what Braden does, but if he can just manage it a bit...THAT "could" be huge. Glad to see Mason stroke a couple and he was too as you could see on TV. He just needs a split second longer, but him stroking it can be huge as we all know.

Matt can slow it down and be effective. Matt can run when it is there and be effective. Matt has athletes contributing and those two are more athletic than many college players. There is a lot to like about this team going forward, but a team is never as good as it looks when it makes shots or as bad when it doesn't. Hopefully, Purdue plays well if not excellent going forward with really good D, boards and low turnovers...because Zach is a pretty constant to score...
I was glad to see Mason knocked down a couple.
We‘ll need him going forward!

When we extended the lead with Smith on the bench, I told my wife, "that is what really good teams are capable of doing". I think that was a great sign.

Definitely builds trust and more confidence because things happen in games and you get some adversity. Lance Jones really did well in on-the-spot duty.

On the flip side, thought the second foul was just poor from the official, but the Utah State player sold it. Braden Smith's first was close, but you don't want to pick up those cheap ones because then you get a bad call one, and you're sitting. Big Trey seemed to do that more than I care to recall.

Good for the team, though, and I expect Smitty to be ready for Friday - we shall see.

Definitely builds trust and more confidence because things happen in games and you get some adversity. Lance Jones really did well in on-the-spot duty.

On the flip side, thought the second foul was just poor from the official, but the Utah State player sold it. Braden Smith's first was close, but you don't want to pick up those cheap ones because then you get a bad call one, and you're sitting. Big Trey seemed to do that more than I care to recall.

Good for the team, though, and I expect Smitty to be ready for Friday - we shall see.
His arm never extended. He veered into the defender slightly, but I thought they should’ve let that go.

Best news is that his knee seems to be fine. If he is a little gimpy, it didn't show. And he should be even stronger Friday.

I could be wrong but I think we need Braden hitting that mid range jumper consistently against the Zags. We get that - with everyone else shooting well - look out!
Braden will be "a" focus for Gonzaga and maybe "the" focus dependent on how they view Zach and play him.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Braden stepped into the defender trying to get a foul call. Good call by ref and then Jones does it again but no foul, kind of like in football D backs hold on almost every play knowing ref won’t call all of them. Braden should know how valuable he is and not let ref have to make the call. OBTW Braden hasn’t had the explosiveness he had before he got hurt , hopefully with rest he regains it

Braden stepped into the defender trying to get a foul call. Good call by ref and then Jones does it again but no foul, kind of like in football D backs hold on almost every play knowing ref won’t call all of them. Braden should know how valuable he is and not let ref have to make the call. OBTW Braden hasn’t had the explosiveness he had before he got hurt , hopefully with rest he regains it
You can really tell on his pull up jumper , to flat I thought. On the 3s he has time to set and shoot

It was the call made that I think was bad. When two players are moving side by side and (one even a partial step behind if that describes it) and an offensive player takes an angle less than 90 and has contact with the other player moving and even slightly behind possibly, that is almost always a foul on the defense . Now if the offensive player pushes and extends the arm past a bent elbow which he didn't that is a foul. An offensive player can bend his arm to protect the ball and so he has that space. When you consider the physics and the typical call that was unusual and I believe a poor call.

Slightly different, but one of the biggest most general weaknesses in players, is going too wide against a defender. Players go too wide and it allows the defensive player to recover due to that width (the extra time allowed). Drive not too wide, but almost through the outside edge of the shoulder as he will be moving and not set in position to gather an offensive foul. Position or angle again is how the offensive player is successful. There has been decades of players out in front and moving in front of a trailing defender to get the foul and for the most part refs don't call that today. Two objects moving at a similar speed and one has to be set or moving in a parallel speed for a perpendicular contact or it generally isn't consider an offensive foul. We see this when players are leaning and such even if they are there in time. Teach protecting yourself and straddling the offensive player to put you in position for a more perpendicular contact for the highest degree of success. I understand your opinion and it is quite possible that many share it. I don't and the above is generally why.

As far as his burst...I don't know. His blocked layups could be due to being slower, but he has driven successfully slower in the past. It may be the delayed roll from Zach that allowed the D to contest his shot. No question Purdue needs him though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT