ADVERTISEMENT

Another in a long list

Mar 22, 2002
of actions that I will never understand.

You want to off yourself - fine - get a gun, jump off a building - don''t involve 150 other people

This post was edited on 3/26 11:44 AM by Boilermaker66

Link

it is pretty hard to understand

The idea of suicide is easy to understand in theory but hard in practice for me because death is going to have drag me out kicking and screaming. I can't imagine, short of being full-on fire with no hope of extinguishing or some uber extreme circumstance, wanting to commit suicide.

I get that others get low and stuff happens in theory, and I feel for those folks, but then to extend that to taking out other people in the process? Impossible to fathom.

Yes, agree. That's a a semi-sane, semi- rational person would do. But if he was either wacked out / depressed or had some sort of mass-murder intention hidden inside his psyche, and was triggered only when he went up in the cockpit and/or when the other crew member had excused himself, who knows?

IMO, why is a crew member needing to go to the bathroom on a relatively short flight at all? What's more, why not give them some sort of device to relieve themselves in the cockpit just like astronauts have with the funnel on a hose? On flights longer than 4-5 hours, have 3 crew members. Whatever, there's got to be some way to eliminate/reduce the chances.

Of course, the public doesn't want to hear this but the fact of the matter is that their chances of being in one of these flight incidents- crash or otherwise, is almost nil.

Its said that there are over 100,000 flights in the world each day.

According to planecrashinfo.com (linked), the chances of dying on a commercial flight are almost lottery like, anywhere from 1 in 2 million for the worst 39 airlines in the world, down to 1 in 19.8 million for the top 39 airlines.

I'll take my chances

Re: it is pretty hard to understand

These folks are literally out of their minds. How else could one explain such actions or those of any non-passionate murder? Lack of compassion would not in itself explain it. Even a terrorist will take actions to numb themselves up....the 9/11 hijackers supposedly had some pretty aggressive drinking outings the night before at bars and/or strip clubs.

undoubtedly

it takes a pretty significant mental break I think to overcome the innate will to live AND combine that with a desire to take out other people you literally don't know from Adam.

Unlike your examples that are quick, this took a long time to execute and offered plenty of time to rethink. Not only did it kill 150 people, the co-pilot took 8-10 minutes to do so. 8-10 minutes of others begging and screaming for the presumptive murderer to right the plane.

Re: undoubtedly

The only explanation is that their brain is so messed up / chemically imbalanced and/or delusional that they have lost any connection to reality and/or they misconstrue, as in this case the pilot banging on the door, to mean that those are the demons coming after them or whatever. It is sad all the way around.

They say all Lufthansa (owns and operates the Germanwings brand) pilots have a check up, hopefully including a mental or psychiatric check up once per year. Frighteningly, some of the airlines out there do not have any physical or psychiatric check up other than maybe when they are hired. Lufthansa and many other more reputable airlines, require pilots to have checkups every 6 months after the age of 40.

I have a childhood friend of mine, who I haven't talked to in 6 or 7 years at least. We are such good friends- our friendship goes back to Day 1 on the planet for him (he's 15 months younger)- that I know we can pick up the phone and the years melt away like we just talked a week ago. Anyway, he has a son who started having hallucinations in his fraternity house as a freshman and luckily, his fraternity brothers were sensitive enough and smart enough to realize that he wasn't just drunk or whatever, and called his parents and the University police / emergency. Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with schizophrenia. I cannot pretend to imagine the road they have been traveling down and will travel down as parents and as a family. Luckily he is a very successful medical device sales manager 30 years into his career, and also has substantial family money beyond that, though all of that seems very inadequate I'm sure. Life doesn't continue or end well in almost all schizophrenic cases, at least in terms of having any sort of 'normal' / productive life.

News reports are that there were no screams heard on the tape until the last moments. Regardless, that is the very definition of terror imo, be it at the hands of a terrorist like we think of them today, or a mentally deranged nut-job.

no

everything we've learned thus far is that the screams happen only in the final moments.

Thankfully, it appears the passengers were more or less unaware til then.

Now, at some point, the Captain was obviously trying to get into the cabin. I don't know what kind of commotion he did or didn't make, but it appears to somehow been shielded from the passengers to some extent.

Re: no

I was referring to the Captain...and heaven forbid, assumed that others on the plane were also begging, which is still a possibility. My bad. Point still stands that the co-pilot had a callous disregard for the passengers beyond killing them.

I wonder if the co-pilot was seeking revenge against the airline???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT