ADVERTISEMENT

Anderson has MAJOR outbreak of virus

I've been pleased with Holcomb. When he ran, I thought back to all the times I would watch Indiana Week in Review and all the excuses he'd make about Pence and the legislature. I was thinking, Jesus Christ that guy is going to be Governor, but he's really stepped up. I think that he just had to play the part of hardcore partisan on TV, he's been much more honest in office. He doesn't act especially partisan and does seem focused on problem solving. Of course my views could be affected since we came out of the Pence nightmare and anyone would seem like a step up.

I think he'll come out of this with stronger approvals and more supporters.
Except for maybe these guys.
https://www.wthr.com/article/hoosiers-against-stay-home-order-protest-outside-governors-mansion
Right....the Pence nightmare. Record budget surplus, increased road work, more people working in Indiana. You're letting your DTS show.

A few comments. Below I have attached the letter I received yesterday from my dad's nursing home. As I previously noted, they locked things down completely there on 3-4. I know Randy Bufford, the founder and CEO of Trilogy, which has like 170+ LTC facilities in 4 states. He's been very transparent about what they are doing. Ditto for the new leadership regime at American Senior Communities. I work with Dr. Kevin Neese who is the medical director at roughly 30 LTC facilities in IN. Dr. Neese is a hospitalist by training and has worked at St. V's, Community South, and he just finished 3 years at IU downtown where he took care of arguably the sickest patients in the state. At one point he was the CMO/COO at one of the Evansville hospitals. He said one problem is that they keep getting conflicting info from all parties - the ISDH, CMS, the CDC, the NIH, etc. He said people mean well, but it has created a process where every facility interprets things differently. My take is this is just like anything else. The well managed places figure this out and do the right thing, and the places with crappy leadership deliver the tragic results like we have seen in Anderson.

Re how these are counted, my son, who is a Purdue actuarial science grad, actually is managing the death records analytics for the state. This is a new position as they have realized historically, the state has had a major garbage in, garbage out problem with this, and his job is to help clean this up. As I posted last week, there are CDC guidelines as to how to record these deaths. I will talk to him this weekend about this. As you might imagine, the state had zero analytical rigor behind this, and I am pretty sure the idea to clean this up came out of the opioid crisis. Again the state is not the entity filling out the death certificates. They all have to be signed by an MD.

Finally a comment being that I am over 60 and one of the dinosaurs on here. I would not be surprised if I had this in February and was one of the folks who did not have the classic symptoms. I had unrelenting fatigue, rubbery legs and this dull headache. This went on non-stop for over three weeks. Honestly I felt like I had a terrible hangover the entire time. Had I been in a job where I needed to be on my feet, there would have been no way. On about week 4 I came down with what I figured was rotovirus - crippling nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and the worst headache I have ever had. I was in the fetal position for about 60 hours. I had dx influenza when I was HS soph in 1973, and the agony was about the same. I am blessed to have not missed a day since '73, but I missed two days of work with this. After I recovered from this, I gradually got better and am fine now. I work with a doctor who had pretty much identical symptoms to mine, and the college daughter of one of the pharmacists I work with had an identical course like me. I hope I get enrolled in the NIH trial. If not, even if I have to pay out of pocket, I am going to get tested for the antibodies. That will likely cost me about $350. If I don't have the antibodies, I am going to be pretty wary to hang out much, at least for a few months.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?tab=wm&ogbl&zx=zb1wiwgh2wmh#inbox?projector=1

Thanks for the info. Tony !

I wish you and your son well
, but sadly . . the accurate reporting is just the first step. Who is taking the information, highlighting the real issues or root causes of the numbers and developing plans to do anything about it ? This is proj mgmt 101 blocking and tackling issues and it's clear that our federal and state leaders do not have the skills to manage this thing. It's NOT just a reporting issue (although bad numbers can mislead efforts) , it's a problem solving /proj mgmt issue.

My BIGGEST fear is that the virus is giving a large percentage of our population underlying conditions (lung scarring, heart issues, etc..) that will be deadly the next time around.
No one seems to be concerned about that issue yet. It would sure be nice to know how many of the infected NOW have underlying conditions "before" we open up the economy again without proper testing levels.

An even more basic concern is this: Do the masks, and respirator cartridges which we get from China actually work against this virus?
If the answer is no, we have a completely different problem and one which will affect all of our healthcare workers. At this stage, we simply can't "assume" anything ! We need facts. Thanks again for your insights !

Reactions: Bill4411
Right....the Pence nightmare. Record budget surplus, increased road work, more people working in Indiana. You're letting your DTS show.
Why am I not surprised you're just as clueless about state politics as you are with national politics.

I don't know if you were aware Tony but Bethany Pointe is a Trilogy nursing home. It always had a good reputation in the Anderson area although it has fallen off in the last few years. I appreciate the info but I think it would appear we are underreporting Covid-19 deaths in Indiana. It makes it kind of hard for Holcomb to know how to make the calls. I have a lot of confidence in him though. He seems like a really good guy.
Did not know that. As noted, I am going to ask my son what's going on. Not sure how much he will be able to share. He's pretty much just the scorekeeper at this point. Bufford is a stickler so it will be interesting to see how that plays out. I almost went to work for them, but ironically, the culture was too top down for my taste. My experience has been that nursing homes, no matter who owns them, are only as good as the administrator and the director of nursing. I don't think folks realize how horribly staffed nursing homes are relative to hospitals, especially on nights and weekends. It's pretty shocking really. I did not say it directly, but I don't think there is any sort of right wing conspiracy to under report these deaths IF the guidelines are followed. Given all the heat on this any one facility or person who is trying to do this is playing with fire if you ask me. I don't have a political stake in this one way or another.

My global economic take is that if we want to go a single payer system, doing it overnight is doing to cause mass dislocation, and anyone working in health care who advocates this better be prepared to either take a 30+% pay cut or be prepared to be out of work. The math does not work otherwise. Maybe that's ok.

Reactions: MJ-79Boiler
Thanks for the info. Tony !

I wish you and your son well
, but sadly . . the accurate reporting is just the first step. Who is taking the information, highlighting the real issues or root causes of the numbers and developing plans to do anything about it ? This is proj mgmt 101 blocking and tackling issues and it's clear that our federal and state leaders do not have the skills to manage this thing. It's NOT just a reporting issue (although bad numbers can mislead efforts) , it's a problem solving /proj mgmt issue.

My BIGGEST fear is that the virus is giving a large percentage of our population underlying conditions (lung scarring, heart issues, etc..) that will be deadly the next time around.
No one seems to be concerned about that issue yet. It would sure be nice to know how many of the infected NOW have underlying conditions "before" we open up the economy again without proper testing levels.

An even more basic concern is this: Do the masks, and respirator cartridges which we get from China actually work against this virus?
If the answer is no, we have a completely different problem and one which will affect all of our healthcare workers. At this stage, we simply can't "assume" anything ! We need facts. Thanks again for your insights !
HIstorically imho the state, and I am guessing most states are just not prepared to do this kind of work. They absolutely don't have the skills, the resources or the manpower to do this. Every single MD I know hates doing death certificates. I can tell you that very quickly, at least in Indy, ventilator protocols were changed as the doctors realized super high PEEP levels were doing more harm than good. One of my former direct reports has been managing the RT/Ventilator response for Community here in Indy, and he talked to me at length about all this yesterday as I had to talk to him about a patient complaint where the family asked me to intervene for them. He said he feels most of these patients will be okay lung-wise. The whole mystery around why hypertensives and people on ACE inhibitors will be a interesting puzzle. Again, I am not a doctor, but the theory is it has something to go with people's angiotension and how red blood cells react to the virus in certain patients.

Reactions: MJ-79Boiler
Just an FYI for those of you who cannot decipher between reality and fake news.
This will fall on deaf ears but Epoch Times was banned on Facebook for spreading misinformation.
Epoch Times was also started by followers of Falun Gong.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-n...ing-its-connection-huge-pro-trump-ad-n1045416
I have no background at all on Epoch Times, but Facebook would not be a source of truth either...same with many places. It brings a great question of where would we find truth and how do we know if we don't have the relevant understanding to discern? I can see it getting worse as well....so much info and so few people that are 1)honest 2) ethical 2) knowledgeable. How do we find people that have all the needed traits?
"Neither experience nor reason is alone able to provide knowledge. The first provides content without form, the second form without content. Only in their synthesis is knowledge possible; hence there is no knowledge that does not [partake of both]."

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
I have no background at all on Epoch Times, but Facebook would not be a source of truth either...same with many places. It brings a great question of where would we find truth and how do we know if we don't have the relevant understanding to discern? I can see it getting worse as well....so much info and so few people that are 1)honest 2) ethical 2) knowledgeable. How do we find people that have all the needed traits?
"Neither experience nor reason is alone able to provide knowledge. The first provides content without form, the second form without content. Only in their synthesis is knowledge possible; hence there is no knowledge that does not [partake of both]."

I agree with all this. It is not going to get any better.
But, I think there is still more journalistic integrity than many would have you believe. There is unfortunately, more than a handful of bad actors now that bring the whole thing down.
Stupid example but look at how GBI conducts their business vs. other sites in their own network. There's still people with integrity out there.

It takes a lot to get banned from FB. That's when I first heard of Epoch Times. Then, they go on this insane YouTube advertising spree when all this Coronavirus starts. Interesting, that's all.

I agree with all this. It is not going to get any better.
But, I think there is still more journalistic integrity than many would have you believe. There is unfortunately, more than a handful of bad actors now that bring the whole thing down.
Stupid example but look at how GBI conducts their business vs. other sites in their own network. There's still people with integrity out there.

It takes a lot to get banned from FB. That's when I first heard of Epoch Times. Then, they go on this insane YouTube advertising spree when all this Coronavirus starts. Interesting, that's all.
Yes, there are people with integrity and THAT is important, but you can have integrity and be wrong as well. That too happens a lot. Information is traveling so fast and in soooooo many directions on sooooo many things that people reporting and interpretating information although sincere in their efforts when it happens don't have the necesssary background to discern. They just repeat what someone else said if they like it. Science is expanding at such a rate that most people really can't discern the pros or cons along with the assumptions that must be accepted to hold the story true. In the history arena, many fall short as well.

I think this has always been the case, but life is moving faster and information is everywhere and something on everything. Right now, I'm sitting in front of two computers...one for work (not this one) and one for anything else. In another room I have a 52" samsung TV laying facedown on a table with the cover removed. I researched a bit and determined the most likely issue was the mainboard. I then searched the mainboard..and wouldn't you know...THAT exact board was nowhere to be found. What was suppose to e a reputable place had a substitution and I found that in another reputable site and ordered it. Never fixed it...actually less things going on. Teh place I got it didn't show the substitute board, the place many TV repair people use did show a substituion. Both sites said they test the boards. Who was wrong? I'm too dumb to know.

When I was in first grade I had the Tom, Dick and Jane readers. Professionals (teachers) were sincere in using these books. Parents were impressed in how quickly their children could read. The reality was that "sight" teaching was going on and the 25 or so words that were memorized were just rearranged. Phonics happened in a later grade. Teachers were sincere, but wrong. Parents didn't have the knowledge to discern. Examples like this exist everywhere and are even more prevalent today and that was where I was going. "WE" collectively are not smart enough to discern if it is discernable and in some cases when the ability to discern is easier, we fail logically. None of this should ever be construed that new understanding are better because they are new, because that isn't true either. New understandings need to prove why old understandings have fallen by the wayside...and how many have the knowledge to do that?

A math teacher I know may still be employed by the IDOE and he thought that students would do better on tests if classical music was played...something he read, but obviously he didn't have the ability to discern. It is everywhere...

Last edited:
Reactions: SKYDOG
tjreese: you are right. But there is a difference between deliberate falsehoods and errors because of the lack of knowledge or information which may not be known at the time. Someone like Kellyanne Conway confuses me because I don’t understand if she just doesn’t know or if she is deliberately misleading

I watched the video. The first 5-10 minutes had me intrigued when discussing the biology. The last part was a little to grassy knoll for me.

That being said, I would not be surprised a bit if the virus leak was just a really bad mistake. A lot of people are equating it to Chernobyl. I could see that being the case in a state that covers everything up.

tjreese: you are right. But there is a difference between deliberate falsehoods and errors because of the lack of knowledge or information which may not be known at the time. Someone like Kellyanne Conway confuses me because I don’t understand if she just doesn’t know or if she is deliberately misleading
a
I don't think I've heard her speak in a year or more and have no idea what she is saying and would be one of those unable to discern. Almost a year ago I had a hip replacement, then it was football season, then basketball season and while basektball season was going on I was trying to arrange some financial things and that got delayed due to working on an Italy trip. Then my daughter changes some things and I had to change again places to stay, dates and a less efficient travel through Italy to match up with her for a few days.

As one that rarely watches much TV, I'm working from home, and being diabetic, I have not been anywhere for 5 weeks or so? Then my daughter turns me on to some TV series (Roman Emperers, Medici, Borgias and Ottoman Empire) and naturally I have to see what is true and what is embellished for the series and those series ate up a lot of time. This morning we talk and she is asking me if one of my sisters has been to Greece which I don't think she has...another sister has, but that sister probably wouldn't have the historical interest in Greece that my daughter sought. Her interest in Greece in case we can't get to Italy this fall and they we would do Italy next spring with them and they would do Germany and Greece this year...probably due to their understanding the virus has mutated and wondering for me...if the situation was not good for me to travel. Bottom line, days have went by quickly and this confinement isolates me from many things. Although my weight is pretty good and I really try to control my blood sugar I wonder at what time I'll be called in to work directly on the ventec situation rather than a coworker putting in some crazy hours and when that happens...something closer to normality will happen. ;)

I watched the video. The first 5-10 minutes had me intrigued when discussing the biology. The last part was a little to grassy knoll for me.

That being said, I would not be surprised a bit if the virus leak was just a really bad mistake. A lot of people are equating it to Chernobyl. I could see that being the case in a state that covers everything up.
I'm not smart enough to know when it is grassy knoll or just my inability to discern one way or the other. I thought it was interesting and have NO idea where truth starts and where it might end. I do know there were legitimate questions that need answered. I know last year there was Russia this and Russia that and it was then that I said Russia was nothing...China was the real enemy here and has been for some time.

As things go on we will learn a bit more, but already we know China has hidden things, refused outside investigations and so forth. Initially, the grassy knoll was something other than the market. Today, something other than the market is seen as a real possibility. What will tomorrow bring? Probably nothing more, since China will, if pushed in a corner, offer a reason whether the real one or not. It appears the CCP knew enough that I understand the people around Wuhan were free to travel wherever, just not where the influential were in China.

China has declared war on the USA for some time and it is my belief that this country has to eliminate "dependency" on China or those that indications are being controlled by China. This may very well be a leak from the bio lab, but the devestation that took place tells me China sees the impact across the globe for a weapon of this magnitude...especially if China had the only vaccine and I have no reason to assume that is beyond what China would ever consider. I may not see it in my lifetime, but others in this forum might?

Do you have a biology background or just found that interesting? BTW, I understand the virus has mutated already...

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
I'm not smart enough to know when it is grassy knoll or just my inability to discern one way or the other. I thought it was interesting and have NO idea where truth starts and where it might end. I do know there were legitimate questions that need answered. I know last year there was Russia this and Russia that and it was then that I said Russia was nothing...China was the real enemy here and has been for some time.

As things go on we will learn a bit more, but already we know China has hidden things, refused outside investigations and so forth. Initially, the grassy knoll was something other than the market. Today, something other than the market is seen as a real possibility. What will tomorrow bring? Probably nothing more, since China will, if pushed in a corner, offer a reason whether the real one or not. It appears the CCP knew enough that I understand the people around Wuhan were free to travel wherever, just not where the influential were in China.

China has declared war on the USA for some time and it is my belief that this country has to eliminate "dependency" on China or those that indications are being controlled by China. This may very well be a leak from the bio lab, but the devestation that took place tells me China sees the impact across the globe for a weapon of this magnitude...especially if China had the only vaccine and I have no reason to assume that is beyond what China would ever consider. I may not see it in my lifetime, but others in this forum might?

Do you have a biology background or just found that interesting? BTW, I understand the virus has mutated already...

Both China and Russia are enemies. But our country has been staring at their navels for four years. BOTH SIDES!

Edit: 12 Years

Both China and Russia are enemies. But our country has been staring at their navels for four years. BOTH SIDES!

Edit: 12 Years
Longer than 12. Both are enemies, China is a big threat. So who joins somewhat with the other? Russia and China against the USA? Or is it Russia and USA against China or China and USA against Russia? Need a really strong NATO. Reminds me of Franklin, Churchill and Stalin trying to manipulate the best split of Germany in their private meetings...except that was 2 good guys and one bad. Today it would be two bad and one good. ;)

Last edited:
I've been pleased with Holcomb. When he ran, I thought back to all the times I would watch Indiana Week in Review and all the excuses he'd make about Pence and the legislature. I was thinking, Jesus Christ that guy is going to be Governor, but he's really stepped up. I think that he just had to play the part of hardcore partisan on TV, he's been much more honest in office. He doesn't act especially partisan and does seem focused on problem solving. Of course my views could be affected since we came out of the Pence nightmare and anyone would seem like a step up.

I think he'll come out of this with stronger approvals and more supporters.
Except for maybe these guys.
https://www.wthr.com/article/hoosiers-against-stay-home-order-protest-outside-governors-mansion

Yup, Gov Holcomb is gonna screw up my straight ticket ballot. He serves, mostly, all of the people of Indiana and stays away from the social issues. Staying out of the social stuff infuriates the religious racicals that Pence pandered to and spoiled.

Major Moves was Mitch Danials, who I also voted for, and he stayed out of social issues. Funny how you guys misplace credit. All Pence did was pander to his base. Sound familiar ? What if...President Obama said he was gonna come in and take over while Gov Pence prayed for 3 weeks while an HIV outbreak was going on in Southern Indiana.

“Make no mistake about it,” a stone-faced Pence replied. “In the long history of this country, the authority of this country, the authority of the president of the United States during national emergencies is unquestionably plenary."

I think not.

Reactions: indy35
Yup, Gov Holcomb is gonna screw up my straight ticket ballot. He serves, mostly, all of the people of Indiana and stays away from the social issues. Staying out of the social stuff infuriates the religious racicals that Pence pandered to and spoiled.

Major Moves was Mitch Danials, who I also voted for, and he stayed out of social issues. Funny how you guys misplace credit. All Pence did was pander to his base. Sound familiar ? What if...President Obama said he was gonna come in and take over while Gov Pence prayed for 3 weeks while an HIV outbreak was going on in Southern Indiana.

“Make no mistake about it,” a stone-faced Pence replied. “In the long history of this country, the authority of this country, the authority of the president of the United States during national emergencies is unquestionably plenary."

I think not.
As I've stated several times....I know Mike. I've had breakfast with him that involved conversations about how to bring industrial training back to the schools and how to get more interested in the trades. He and I both believe that will be beneficial to Indiana. That was while he was Governor, and it was his desire to see that happen and he was doing everything he could to bring more jobs back to Indiana. My local school board of which my son is a member, is working on doing that. And I do know Mike's views on God, religion, and equal rights for all is a political football for the left who hates his views and which are over-exaggerated for political purposes.

I happen to like the guy and in no way am I offended by his beliefs, nor am I threatened in any way.....and I'll tell you that what you see is what you get. I like him as a person and as our Governor.

I don't understand folks hatred of his morals and religion. You know that thing about tolerance?

And...I like Holcomb and the way he's handled this virus situation.

As I've stated several times....I know Mike. I've had breakfast with him that involved conversations about how to bring industrial training back to the schools and how to get more interested in the trades. He and I both believe that will be beneficial to Indiana. That was while he was Governor, and it was his desire to see that happen and he was doing everything he could to bring more jobs back to Indiana. My local school board of which my son is a member, is working on doing that. And I do know Mike's views on God, religion, and equal rights for all is a political football for the left who hates his views and which are over-exaggerated for political purposes.

I happen to like the guy and in no way am I offended by his beliefs, nor am I threatened in any way.....and I'll tell you that what you see is what you get. I like him as a person and as our Governor.

I don't understand folks hatred of his morals and religion. You know that thing about tolerance?

And...I like Holcomb and the way he's handled this virus situation.

Amazing how hard he tried to drive jobs away from Indiana when he passed RFRA. Nice deflection on Major Moves (even though Mitch sold off the toll road). I'm all for industrial trades, again Mitch initiated that. If you can't understand his stand on morals and religion, it's because he sold them out. Power, money, and votes. That is Mike Pence. He's a bastard to everything he pretends to preach.

Amazing how hard he tried to drive jobs away from Indiana when he passed RFRA. Nice deflection on Major Moves (even though Mitch sold off the toll road). I'm all for industrial trades, again Mitch initiated that. If you can't understand his stand on morals and religion, it's because he sold them out. Power, money, and votes. That is Mike Pence. He's a bastard to everything he pretends to preach.
Your opinion....Like I said, I know Mike. And Mitch did not initiate industrial trades, nor did it begin in his terms.

Believe what you want because even though I've spoken with him personally about trades, you seem to "know" more.

Reactions: Mr_Scott
Your opinion....Like I said, I know Mike. And Mitch did not initiate industrial trades, nor did it begin in his terms.

Believe what you want because even though I've spoken with him personally about trades, you seem to "know" more.

Evan Bayh, and Mitch Daniels were so pro industrial trades. Not everyone is built out for college. Indiana needs welders, fabricators, workers. They were for it. I was too. That's why I voted for them. Your revisionist history , I can see it, since Trump plucked him out.

Pence spent his term anti gay, pro choice, pro gun. Had he not accepted the vp. He was gonna be a one term gov. We were all sick of his crap. Now, he's shilling for Trump. Look at this Hoosier backbone...

HarmfulImmaterialIndianpangolin-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:

The early 80s at the latest is when schools were moving away from trades. I think it was elwood that may have kept on until a decade ago or so. Not all schools moved away, but a bunch started because the USA was to be more of a service country. ;) I left Chrysler in March 81 and sometime prior to that I arranged for a school to get a couple of engines, different transmissions , torque converters with some cut open and cant recall if any differentials were supplied or not? About 2 years later the entire shop was sold on a saturday with the supt (Henderson) watching. A few years later the Supt got in trouble for some boat deal he worked and ended up managing Hardee's in Elwood.

As I try to recall, the sup was there in mid 80s and so it might have been mid 80s instead of early 80s that schools were looking at the job skills of the future...which job skills should never reduce other needed skills for an intelligent voter that this country depends.

That said, I do think some shop is good for some. It also takes some money to do that.

Last edited:

I think not.
The biggest ball being dropped is the testing which I don’t think can be laid at Holcomb’s feet. That’s a federal issue with lack of supplies and strategy.

Reactions: Biggie357
322 cases, 32 dead (10% death rate)

Will be interesting to see how long the state stays with their new policy of letting positive cases transfer out of nursing homes whenever they want. I am already hearing that staff workers have walked off the job when told a positive patient was going to be brought into their facility.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT