ADVERTISEMENT

Anderson has MAJOR outbreak of virus

MJ-79Boiler

Senior
Gold Member
Jul 3, 2015
We have had 11 deaths in the last 36 hours at a local nursing home (Bethany Point) The entire facility is "expected" to be infected, but they can't get any tests ! They have received 5 and all 5 were positive. The facility had 45-50 patients and the associated workers. Local officials believe all 50-60 are infected and are showing symptoms.

Some of them have transferred out of the facility recently and have taken the virus "with them". If you have parents in other facilities you need to see if any of these patients have transferred into the facilities you are using.

We have now gone from 3 cases about a week ago to over 100 (without the 50-60 above) and 11 deaths and those numbers will grow rapidly IF we can get testing to confirm them! We have received only 300 tests and a third of those tests were positive. I am betting the town has thousands of cases already and people are still walking into stores with their kids and no masks or gloves. Crazy !

I believe Anderson is just a small microcosm of what other communities will see without SIGNIFICANTLY more tests and coordination by our leaders ! The next 6-8 weeks are going to be brutal

Note: My brother and his wife just got back in town from an RV trip and now think they could be infected from 1 trip to Walmart in the Brownsburg area. (already have the classic symptoms, fever, diarrhea) 4-5 days from their trip to the local store. Another friend at Lilly has the virus and he religiously used masks and gloves. I believe it's clearly aerosoled and that the greater the "total" exposure the worse the symptoms and final outcome - but that's just my current theory at this point. Bottom line: It's here folks ! !

Reactions: Monkey Pox
We have had 11 deaths in the last 36 hours at a local nursing home (Bethany Point) The entire facility is "expected" to be infected, but they can't get any tests ! They have received 5 and all 5 were positive. The facility had 45-50 patients and the associated workers. Local officials believe all 50-60 are infected and are showing symptoms.

Some of them have transferred out of the facility recently and have taken the virus "with them". If you have parents in other facilities you need to see if any of these patients have transferred into the facilities you are using.

We have now gone from 3 cases about a week ago to over 100 (without the 50-60 above) and 11 deaths and those numbers will grow rapidly IF we can get testing to confirm them! We have received only 300 tests and a third of those tests were positive. I am betting the town has thousands of cases already and people are still walking into stores with their kids and no masks or gloves. Crazy !

I believe Anderson is just a small microcosm of what other communities will see without SIGNIFICANTLY more tests and coordination by our leaders ! The next 6-8 weeks are going to be brutal

Note: My brother and his wife just got back in town from an RV trip and now think they could be infected from 1 trip to Walmart in the Brownsburg area. (already have the classic symptoms, fever, diarrhea) 4-5 days from their trip to the local store. Another friend at Lilly has the virus and he religiously used masks and gloves. I believe it's clearly aerosoled and that the greater the "total" exposure the worse the symptoms and final outcome - but that's just my current theory at this point. Bottom line: It's here folks ! !
Don't act so happy MJ. Gas City is rumored to have it's first case as of yesterday. Should know more today. This should be the worst week before we see a huge drop.

Don't act so happy MJ. Gas City is rumored to have it's first case as of yesterday. Should know more today. This should be the worst week before we see a huge drop.

Happy? ? ? Seriously ?? I have been saying it's coming for a long time - if you don't want to believe, that's up to you. Just don't use words like "HAPPY" when my family is now sick - That's heartless !

Huge Drop? YOU will be wrong ! bank it !

People yelling about lack of tests doesn't allow for us to go back in time several years to change things so that we could roll out tests quicker. Here's a refresher course on why we are where we are with testing:
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/why-coronavirus-testing-us-so-delayed/607954/

Happy? ? ? Seriously ?? I have been saying it's coming for a long time - if you don't want to believe, that's up to you. Just don't use words like "HAPPY" when my family is now sick - That's heartless !

Huge Drop? YOU will be wrong ! bank it !
I was joking with the happy part...sorry. Grant County has it's first death as of yesterday, and we're now up to 20. I look for that to rise, but not as much as other areas.

Prayers for your family and for you.

Reactions: MJ-79Boiler
People yelling about lack of tests doesn't allow for us to go back in time several years to change things so that we could roll out tests quicker. Here's a refresher course on why we are where we are with testing:
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/why-coronavirus-testing-us-so-delayed/607954/

No it doesn't. I get that. But we can't forget about it either. It should be THE TOP Priority right with finding a vaccine. If they think minimal testing is ok going forward, this is going to be a blood bath.

bottom line: When they say people can get tests if they need them, they are flat out LYING !

I was joking with the happy part...sorry. Grant County has it's first death as of yesterday, and we're now up to 20. I look for that to rise, but not as much as other areas.

Thank you -I appreciate this post

No it doesn't. I get that. But we can't forget about it either. It should be THE TOP Priority right with finding a vaccine. If they think minimal testing is ok going forward, this is going to be a blood bath.

bottom line: When they say people can get tests if they need them, they are flat out LYING !
Where have you read that the task force is OK with minimal testing? Everything I've read is just the opposite.

Wow, what a crappy, classless response. I guess when you’re hardwired to respond TDS, Haters, or You will be happy if more people die, you don’t really think about what you’re posting. Here’s hoping your family gets well MJ-79.

Wow, what a crappy, classless response. I guess when you’re hardwired to respond TDS, Haters, or You will be happy if more people die, you don’t really think about what you’re posting. Here’s hoping your family gets well MJ-79.

He said it was a joke. Just like Individual #1 does when he goes beyond the pale.

Where have you read that the task force is OK with minimal testing? Everything I've read is just the opposite.

I have not read anything to suggest otherwise. They stated in early March they didn't have enough test kits for the demand which was coming. A month later, still not enough. This isn't rocket science. Is Trump refusing to use other international kits because he wants them to be US made ? I don't know. All I know is that they clearly knew about the problem, know there other non-U.S. kits and haven't fixed the problem for a month. I also know I used to be able to resource things far more complicated in less than a month (ie Hydraulic assemblies with electronic capabilities.)
https://www.businessinsider.com/white-house-says-will-fail-1m-goal-coronavirus-test-kits-2020-3?op=1

Dumbass, we understand that it was a joke. It’s just that you and your Hoop Loops friends have the most vile sense of humor most of us have ever witnessed. You idiots find humor in others’ real pain and suffering, and that’s ****ed up.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey neighbor! Grant county born and raised. Still have a lot of family there but moved away. I was talking them yesterday and we were wondering where and how they are treating this. I wasn't sure if Marion General Hospital was equipped to handle positive cases or if they were moving them to Anderson of Muncie.

Do you have a source for your info about Grant County? The only place I can think to look is the Chronicle Tribune...and ...well it isn't what it used to be. I guess I was just curious about where they are popping up.

Hey neighbor! Grant county born and raised. Still have a lot of family there but moved away. I was talking them yesterday and we were wondering where and how they are treating this. I wasn't sure if Marion General Hospital was equipped to handle positive cases or if they were moving them to Anderson of Muncie.

Do you have a source for your info about Grant County? The only place I can think to look is the Chronicle Tribune...and ...well it isn't what it used to be. I guess I was just curious about where they are popping up.

Get most of it from a neighbor who is with the GC health dept. News of the Gas City came from the guy who lives next door. Still haven't verified that one. I'm looking for a peak about Monday but with the sparseness of folks in GC these days, we might get lucky.

As for Marion General, I've always told my kids that if it's life or death and Marion General...let me die. I honestly don't think they can handle more than two or three.

What part of GC you from

Dumbass, we understand that it was a joke. It’s just that you and your Hoop Loops friends have the most vile sense of humor most of us have ever witnessed. You idiots find humor in others’ real pain and suffering, and that’s ****ed up.
You know, I apologized. The OP accepted that and we're cool with each other. Hell, I know some of his family so he and I have moved on.

You know, I apologized. The OP accepted that and we're cool with each other. Hell, I know some of his family so he and I have moved on.
Oh, that changes everything, just like when you said Hoop Loops wasn’t meant as racism.

Get most of it from a neighbor who is with the GC health dept. News of the Gas City came from the guy who lives next door. Still haven't verified that one. I'm looking for a peak about Monday but with the sparseness of folks in GC these days, we might get lucky.

As for Marion General, I've always told my kids that if it's life or death and Marion General...let me die. I honestly don't think they can handle more than two or three.

What part of GC you from

Fairmount. We would cruise Gas City and pick fights with the Mississinewa guys. :)

I hear you about MGH. The entire area makes me sad when I see how much it has gone down hill from the glory days. I was around for the major closings in Marion. RCA, etc...

Fairmount. We would cruise Gas City and pick fights with the Mississinewa guys. :)

I hear you about MGH. The entire area makes me sad when I see how much it has gone down hill from the glory days. I was around for the major closings in Marion. RCA, etc...
You know, when I moved up here from Rush County, there were 54,000 people in Marion. Great places to eat, great shopping, you could walk out your door and get a great job. Now, maybe 23,000 people, not many places to eat, and no jobs. And I blame politics for the failure to secure what industry they had.

As for the fights, I didn't live here then, but I've always been told that the Gas City guys went to the shelter house in Fairmount and stole the Fairmount girls.:rolleyes:

As expected, the numbers continue to climb in Anderson, as they are able to do testing. We have now jumped from 101 cases to 137. Not all of the Bethany Point people have been tested so far and very, very few in the general community, so it's a fair bet that Anderson already has at least 500-1000 cases at this point.

In addition, another long-term care facility in Summitville, IN has infections. What's interesting is that they have 2 facilities under mgmt. (1 in Anderson & 1 in Summitville.) It's also interesting that with one report, the virus has moved "out" of Anderson and heading north towards Gas City. This report effectively takes the virus half way. Heads up Twin ! It's coming your way.

Note: The testing continues to make no sense to me. It's almost like were are trying to confirm future deaths, rather than use the tests proactively or to get people out of the general public who could be spreading it daily.

For example, I hope we are testing truckers (since I-70 seems to be a hot spot between Cincy and Indy and testing the NEW healthcare workers going into medical pools "before" they start going into the hospitals with growing patient loads. If we don't and we allow a new healthcare worker to bring the virus into the ICUs, we will have BIG problems ! Both would be good candidates for the 15 minute test if it ever gets used.

I also hope we are now testing every visitor to these facilities (family, food delivery, etc..) or this virus will keep moving to surrounding communities.

Reactions: TheCainer
As expected, the numbers continue to climb in Anderson, as they are able to do testing. We have now jumped from 101 cases to 137. Not all of the Bethany Point people have been tested so far and very, very few in the general community, so it's a fair bet that Anderson already has at least 500-1000 cases at this point.

In addition, another long-term care facility in Summitville, IN has infections. What's interesting is that they have 2 facilities under mgmt. (1 in Anderson & 1 in Summitville.) It's also interesting that with one report, the virus has moved "out" of Anderson and heading north towards Gas City. This report effectively takes the virus half way. Heads up Twin ! It's coming your way.

Note: The testing continues to make no sense to me. It's almost like were are trying to confirm future deaths, rather than use the tests proactively or to get people out of the general public who could be spreading it daily.

For example, I hope we are testing truckers (since I-70 seems to be a hot spot between Cincy and Indy and testing the NEW healthcare workers going into medical pools "before" they start going into the hospitals with growing patient loads. If we don't and we allow a new healthcare worker to bring the virus into the ICUs, we will have BIG problems ! Both would be good candidates for the 15 minute test if it ever gets used.

I also hope we are now testing every visitor to these facilities (family, food delivery, etc..) or this virus will keep moving to surrounding communities.
You should thinking about running for mayor of Anderson since you have all of the answers on how to locally deal with a once a lifetime global health crisis. TIC :)

Any updates on your family? I certainly hope they stay safe. Good luck.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan

I would presume your statement that very,very few tested in general community is directly related to how many people actually show up in hospitals or offices that exhibit symptoms...so fewer exhibiting, fewer tests..but im not disputing others out there asymptomatic...no one knows that #
Your "I hope list" though is impossible to do, and not even practical at the present PS hope your family ends up well

Any updates on your family? I certainly hope they stay safe. Good luck.

Appreciate the sentiment ! Thanks ! Yes, both have a fever and my brother's wife has diarrhea similar to prep for a colonoscopy - not good signs. We will know a lot more in the next 3-5 days. Both of them are EEs, so this should be a warning to others to take additional precautions and to be focused when at stores or returning to and bringing things into their homes. (It only takes one slip up to get this - they weren't being reckless.) My brother believes he got it (whatever "it" is) at the Brownsburg Walmart from retracking his steps, etc.. The symptoms took about 4-5 days to appear.

I would presume your statement that very,very few tested in general community is directly related to how many people actually show up in hospitals or offices that exhibit symptoms...so fewer exhibiting, fewer tests..but im not disputing others out there asymptomatic...no one knows that #
Your "I hope list" though is impossible to do, and not even practical at the present PS hope your family ends up well

First, thanks for the best wishes. As for the testing comment, no it ws directly taken from an article on the front page of our local paper (ie 300 tests completed so far, about 1/3 positive, etc..) My "inferences" were based on 3 bits of information: 1.) local paper saying others "trying" to get tests run, but can't 2.) The major info. (300 tests/1/3 positive, etc..) coming from local healthcare folks and published in our paper 3.) Information I am gettingfrom the 2 nurses in the family & 4.) local health official saying she strongly believes everyone at Bethany Point is infected, but . . they have been unable to get tests done. Add the 137 cases already and it's pretty clear that tests are being done more for after the fact confirmation in dire health situations than proactive or in response to early symptoms. (like fever)

Reactions: BOILERBOY
I understand. We have two doctors in our family and both are saying that the situation with testing, lack of supples, etc is much worse in their hospitals than is being reported.

Two deaths in Grant County. Local city cop has the virus what I've been told. Have a friend I called to do some electrical work and he's at home waiting to see if he has it...high fever being the key sign. During this the fridge went out and just back from Fox's in Fairmount to buy a new one. Hope your family and you stay safe through all of this.

Have ribs on the Camp Chef pellet smoker while I'm cleaning the garage out...next will be getting the Vette out of storage and cleaning the bikes.

Stay safe.

I have a son that manages the Rural King in Muncie. An expoliceman that stays in contact with him said they sent 200 body bags to Muncie when I talked to him last Saturday. FWIW, his store was packed last Saturday and he had about 50% more gross than typical. I asked if something was going on and he said...warm weather...said people were not staying apart from each other and would be shocked if he never got it. When I tried to call him to ask about a product, he couldn't talk as he had three people around him at that moment. Rural King notes below...

Appreciate the sentiment ! Thanks ! Yes, both have a fever and my brother's wife has diarrhea similar to prep for a colonoscopy - not good signs. We will know a lot more in the next 3-5 days. Both of them are EEs, so this should be a warning to others to take additional precautions and to be focused when at stores or returning to and bringing things into their homes. (It only takes one slip up to get this - they weren't being reckless.) My brother believes he got it (whatever "it" is) at the Brownsburg Walmart from retracking his steps, etc.. The symptoms took about 4-5 days to appear.
Again, fwiw, my very best wishes for all.

First, thanks for the best wishes. As for the testing comment, no it ws directly taken from an article on the front page of our local paper (ie 300 tests completed so far, about 1/3 positive, etc..) My "inferences" were based on 3 bits of information: 1.) local paper saying others "trying" to get tests run, but can't 2.) The major info. (300 tests/1/3 positive, etc..) coming from local healthcare folks and published in our paper 3.) Information I am gettingfrom the 2 nurses in the family & 4.) local health official saying she strongly believes everyone at Bethany Point is infected, but . . they have been unable to get tests done. Add the 137 cases already and it's pretty clear that tests are being done more for after the fact confirmation in dire health situations than proactive or in response to early symptoms. (like fever)
Thanks for the info...and again wishing family the best in these trying times...BOILER UP

Two deaths in Grant County. Local city cop has the virus what I've been told. Have a friend I called to do some electrical work and he's at home waiting to see if he has it...high fever being the key sign. During this the fridge went out and just back from Fox's in Fairmount to buy a new one. Hope your family and you stay safe through all of this.

Have ribs on the Camp Chef pellet smoker while I'm cleaning the garage out...next will be getting the Vette out of storage and cleaning the bikes.

Stay safe.

Thanks Twin, you too. I think this thing is going to be around awhile. Start preparing for a long slog. (6-12 months)

Latest - We now have 143 cases and 15 dead. Expecting both numbers to keep climbing, just don't have the tests yet. (sigh)

NOW, the Indiana dept of health says that rule changes have been made where all nursing homes have to report any known or suspected cases immediately (including all workers) What???? They didn't have to before?
This is just another "clear" example that those making the decisions are not using scientific/statistical approaches.

I see NO reason to be optimistic. We have no containment anywhere, no vaccines, no tests and can't possibly have anyone working for our politicians that have a clue about quality management processes which would allow them to "possibly" get a head of this thing. (Even though I have offered.) I guess they think their political offices have better prepared them than 80-100 hrs of six sigma training, successful certification in six sigma, a masters and 4 other professional certifications including Purchasing, and Integrated resource mgmt, 30 years of broad industrial experience, international experience and 15 years of actual project mgmt experience.

A great many of the moves being made are WRONG on so many levels. (ie spreading covid patients out in hospitals and at home with family, NOT testing health care workers going into medical pools and then rotating them between hospitals and situations. (Sometimes in the same day!) No testing, dwindling PPE supplies, relaxed guidelines for front line personnel where they can go back to work and infect others . . as long as they . . don't have symptoms for 24 hours. Seriously? ? ?

Prepare for the worst (pray for devine help) - people are assuming the current situation is going to get better and from a process control standpoint there is no reason to believe this. It's almost like they are treating it like the common cold. (ie throw more resources at it once overwhelmed versus understanding it and preventing it's spread. Yes, the current shutdown is VERY helpful, but it won't last . . and they apparently don't know what else to do.

At some point, we will have to start opening up the economy and then we will get "the next" wave. So Stupid.

Note: I wonder if anyone is anticipating a lot less healthcare workers for the 2nd wave? After seeing the lack of support that they got in the first wave there will be some who will pass on the 2nd wave.

Latest - We now have 143 cases and 15 dead. Expecting both numbers to keep climbing, just don't have the tests yet. (sigh)

NOW, the Indiana dept of health says that rule changes have been made where all nursing homes have to report any known or suspected cases immediately (including all workers) What???? They didn't have to before?
This is just another "clear" example that those making the decisions are not using scientific/statistical approaches.

I see NO reason to be optimistic. We have no containment anywhere, no vaccines, no tests and can't possibly have anyone working for our politicians that have a clue about quality management processes which would allow them to "possibly" get a head of this thing. (Even though I have offered.) I guess they think their political offices have better prepared them than 80-100 hrs of six sigma training, successful certification in six sigma, a masters and 4 other professional certifications including Purchasing, and Integrated resource mgmt, 30 years of broad industrial experience, international experience and 15 years of actual project mgmt experience.

A great many of the moves being made are WRONG on so many levels. (ie spreading covid patients out in hospitals and at home with family, NOT testing health care workers going into medical pools and then rotating them between hospitals and situations. (Sometimes in the same day!) No testing, dwindling PPE supplies, relaxed guidelines for front line personnel where they can go back to work and infect others . . as long as they . . don't have symptoms for 24 hours. Seriously? ? ?

Prepare for the worst (pray for devine help) - people are assuming the current situation is going to get better and from a process control standpoint there is no reason to believe this. It's almost like they are treating it like the common cold. (ie throw more resources at it once overwhelmed versus understanding it and preventing it's spread. Yes, the current shutdown is VERY helpful, but it won't last . . and they apparently don't know what else to do.

At some point, we will have to start opening up the economy and then we will get "the next" wave. So Stupid.

Note: I wonder if anyone is anticipating a lot less healthcare workers for the 2nd wave? After seeing the lack of support that they got in the first wave there will be some who will pass on the 2nd wave.
At what point do you think the economy should be opened?

I checked less than two hours ago and there are 11 reported deaths in Madison County with 146 confirmed cases. Grant has 26 cases and 2 confirmed dead. Three counties are reporting 0 and 0. I've also read that many deaths being reported as CV related aren't.

Again, stay safe.

At what point do you think the economy should be opened?

A VERY tough question, as I am sure you realize.

I don't think they can open it until they get "some" pockets of containment. (ie new cases in an area down significantly - like 85%) Given their undisciplined approach, I believe our President will eventually just force it open and we will see a 2nd wave that could be just as bad.

IF they are smart, they will try to open it slowly, a few businesses at a time and will create a team of "process" experts to help each business open. They will need to sanitize the environment (remember the cruise ship that still had live virus on surfaces after 2 weeks?), change operating procedures, etc.. to maintain social distancing, minimize viral transfer and potentially address ventilation issues. I also do not see how they can do it before we have surgical masks for each of the workers and quick testing available to each community. If we do, we will be playing Russian roulette.

Believe me when I say this . . I know this kind of approach sounds CRAZY to people, but my rebuttal is . . . how else will you know that people walking through the front door don't have the virus and can't spread it?? It's QUITE contagiuous. It "IS" first and foremost an issue of detection/testing, containment and process controls. We didn't focus on these 3 areas the first time, so without divine intervention or a vaccine, it won't work the 2nd time unless we do.

We have to start "thinking" in terms of Ebola - this thing will mutate and "could" be more deadlier. We have to get "ahead" of the crisis and start planning proactively on what "could' come next versus reacting to things.

I will also add an element of "change management" into the discussion. People need to realize that the general public will only give you a few chances to get it right before some will panic and start taking things into their own hands. If violence happens, everything gets worse.

I also know from years of change management training that it is exponentially more difficult to do things the 2nd or 3rd time if you fail the first time. Think about that. What will people do if they no longer believe anything they are told.

Reactions: SKYDOG
I checked less than two hours ago and there are 11 reported deaths in Madison County with 146 confirmed cases. Grant has 26 cases and 2 confirmed dead. Three counties are reporting 0 and 0. I've also read that many deaths being reported as CV related aren't.

Again, stay safe.
You’re reading that from the worst of the worst, far right wing personalities spreading that.

Again, stay safe.

I understand that. The "official" numbers are supposedly after confirmation . . drum roll . . after testing, etc.. ! (which we have not gotten enough test kits to finish) I still not not understand how they can say on one day that they are assuming that everyone in the Bethany Pointe facility has the virus and then say the next day that deaths in the last 48 hours can't be labeled as Virus-related.

In addition, the front page of our local paper says " After state officials said 15 people have died in long-term care facilities in Madison County, new guidelines are being established" (could be the 4 new deaths at the Summitville facility which aren't in the official number yet - but we have 15 lifeless bodies at this point from those 2 facilities.)

I have long known that the published numbers were not even close to the real numbers - this just shows but one issue - a lag between "deaths" which are most likely virus related and those that are confirmed with tests. There is NO doubt in my mind that: 1.) There will be more deaths coming at both facilities and 2.) That they may or may not be reported as virus related, as tests are NOT available to confirm everything. However, I believe it reasonable to assume so. Would be awfully coincidental to have more patients die hours after saying the facility is completely infected.

My question in this case is why even use 4 tests to confirm what is a 99% likelihood- use them elsewhere (like healthcare workers who have symptoms !) I know of one healthcare worker who was very sick 2 days ago (Spent entire night in the bathroom) and she is back to work now
Why ? ? ? ? ?

Reactions: indy35

Relative to healthcare workers… Spoke with daughter last night and she has two people she worked with that left this morning from Maryland to New Jersey and Detroit. I think the places reached out for people familiar with anesthesia and obviously ventilators. Said a normal ICU has one nurse to two patients and sometimes one to one, but in these locations I thought she said New Jersey was 10:1 and Detroit 25:1. Said they have used a typical beds/rooms used for ICUs without the monitors is what I understood the two ladies have told her. Also, said they were informed that if a person coded, not to resuscitate the person because the chance of long-term survival is not good. Not sure I like that answer… ☹ One of the ladies is 37 pregnant and has a 2 year old with a husband that is a policeman. Another sister sent me a video listed here concerning Bush talking about the situation today in 2005 and wanting 7 billion to address it. You can hear what he says, but no audio in-between some audio.

you have to understand that math seems to be magic to some.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT