ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Recruiting

That's the first time I've heard that stat used. I'm not sure anyone outside of Purdue would argue that stat demonstrates Painter as a good tourney coach.
In fact, considering Purdue has been favored in probably 80% of their first round NCAA games, that stat is even less impressive.
Who else has done it for a decade or more at a non blue blood program?

Reactions: Level 42
15-13 in the NCAA.
1E8
4 S16
in 18 years.
Has only 1 NCAA win over a team seeded more than 1 seed higher.
If that's consistent tourney success....OK.

I don't disagree that Painter is building what could be some really strong teams. I love what he's doing with his guard/wing recruiting (with a few exceptions). But, until he gets it done in March and gets to the FF, then it's just woulda, shoulda, coulda.
Take this and compare it to every big ten team in the same time period. Where does Purdue rank by wins and win percentage?

Reactions: pboiler18 and BBG
Take this and compare it to every big ten team in the same time period. Where does Purdue rank by wins and win percentage?
Tell me what it is.

I do know that since Painter has been HC in 2005. UM, IL, MSU, OSU and WI have all made the FF.

Yeah I did. You not recognizing or understanding it doesn't mean it didn't happen.
There is more truth to this when talking about Lenny than you may realize. :) I'm tellin y'all, you're just wasting effort on him with all of this back and forth. It's only going to continue to spiral this thread because he NEVER admits he is wrong even when it's obvious (and frequent) that he is.

Anyway .. so let's instead bring this thread back on topic. How about those recruits eh? Something special is brewing here!

Tell me what it is.

I do know that since Painter has been HC in 2005. UM, IL, MSU, OSU and WI have all made the FF.
And ILL and OSU haven't made a S16 since then (18 and 9 years respectively). There's been 16 different teams in the final four the last 4 tournaments, it's that difficult to win consistently in March.

Bo Ryan made his first F4 at 67, Mark Few has only made 2 F4s in 22 years at Gonzaga, Tony Bennett was looked at as a terrible tourney coach until UVA made their run. Duke and Kentucky haven't been to the F4 since 2015.

Tell me what it is.

well, now wait a minute.

This was your position: "I'm not anti-Painter. I think he's done a really good job in recruiting (for the most part) the last few years. But, he's not had consistent success in the tourney. If you disagree, cite your data."

Unless I missed it (entirely possible), you refused to define "consistent success", and cited no data to support your untenable position. (Okay, I'll tell on myself and admit that's tautological!)

Making the FF was not your yardstick. Making the FF doesn't begin to define "consistent success" in the least. The two are not remotely related. You're moving the goalposts. Again.

You continue to give the appearance that all you want to do is crap on people.

Reactions: BBG
And ILL and OSU haven't made a S16 since then (18 and 9 years respectively). There's been 16 different teams in the final four the last 4 tournaments, it's that difficult to win consistently in March.

Bo Ryan made his first F4 at 67, Mark Few has only made 2 F4s in 22 years at Gonzaga, Tony Bennett was looked at as a terrible tourney coach until UVA made their run. Duke and Kentucky haven't been to the F4 since 2015.
That’s all fine and good, but until Painter gets there, the only way he’s gone is if he bought a ticket.
I agree that there are a lot of factors that go into tourney success, just like coaching and in-game adjustments have a lot to do with it. There’s more than just bad luck as the reason Purdue hasn’t been there in 40 years.

Who's your blue blood list?
I'd think that list is pretty short.
Duke, UNC, UK, KU.
See, I wouldn't include Duke because to me, to be considered a blue blood, it has to be success under more than one coach. So it's the school/program, it's bigger than the coach. Duke is only coach K with no history before, if the sustain success after him, then they can make the claim.

Reactions: Schnelk
See, I wouldn't include Duke because to me, to be considered a blue blood, it has to be success under more than one coach. So it's the school/program, it's bigger than the coach. Duke is only coach K with no history before, if the sustain success after him, then they can make the claim.
I could look, but how far did Mike Gminski and Jeff Spanarkle’s team get with Bill Foster, just before K took over? They were good, but not Championship good.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
B

Brohm took over a program that was one of the worst in the country. He’s made huge strides. Plus, only 4 teams make the CFB, 65 make the NCAA.
The CFP is the equivalent of the Final Four. How much longer will we settle for Brohm failing to make one?

Who else has averaged an NCAA tournament win for a decade or more at a non blue blood program?

well, now wait a minute.

This was your position: "I'm not anti-Painter. I think he's done a really good job in recruiting (for the most part) the last few years. But, he's not had consistent success in the tourney. If you disagree, cite your data."

Unless I missed it (entirely possible), you refused to define "consistent success", and cited no data to support your untenable position. (Okay, I'll tell on myself and admit that's tautological!)

Making the FF was not your yardstick. Making the FF doesn't begin to define "consistent success" in the least. The two are not remotely related. You're moving the goalposts. Again.

You continue to give the appearance that all you want to do is crap on people.
Here’s my data. Take an objective view.
15 tourney appearances
15-12 record
4 S16
1 E8
Never beaten a team more than 1 seed higher.
(Check me on that).
You have every right to believe that’s a successful tourney coach. I’m not sure how many people outside Purdue would agree.

The CFP is the equivalent of the Final Four. How much longer will we settle for Brohm failing to make one?
Who else has averaged an NCAA tournament win for a decade or more at a non blue blood program?
What non blue blood programs have made the FF in that same time frame? The list is much longer.

What non blue blood programs have made the FF in that same time frame? The list is much longer.

15-13 in the NCAA.
1E8
4 S16
in 18 years.
Has only 1 NCAA win over a team seeded more than 1 seed higher.
If that's consistent tourney success....OK.

I don't disagree that Painter is building what could be some really strong teams. I love what he's doing with his guard/wing recruiting (with a few exceptions). But, until he gets it done in March and gets to the FF, then it's just woulda, shoulda, coulda.
Hopefully you get to see a Purdue FF appearance this year. It's my prediction.

If we are talking since 1939 with consistency in March to 2021,
UCLA, Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas, Louisville. Duke and Indiana are up there too. Probably those 7 schools.

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
Here’s my data. Take an objective view.
15 tourney appearances
15-12 record
4 S16
1 E8
Never beaten a team more than 1 seed higher.
(Check me on that).
You have every right to believe that’s a successful tourney coach. I’m not sure how many people outside Purdue would agree.
You still refuse to address the points.

That's why you've earned the reputation of moving the goalposts.

Still no definition of "consistent success".

Still every appearance of wanting to crap on people.

You still refuse to address the points.

That's why you've earned the reputation of moving the goalposts.

Still no definition of "consistent success".

Still every appearance of wanting to crap on people.
No crapping, bashing or whatever the verb of the day is.
The debate: Is Painter a good tourney coach? You say yes. I say No. I provide my data, while your best data is that he's averaged 1 tourney win over the last decade. I doubt many people would argue that data signifies a good tourney coach.
I think you're confusing a good regular season coach with a good tourney coach.
Good tourney coaches have had multiple deep tourney runs: Izzo, Coach K, Boheim, Wright, Pitino, Self,

The debate: Is Painter a good tourney coach? You say yes. I say No. I provide my data, while your best data is that he's averaged 1 tourney win over the last decade. I doubt many people would argue that data signifies a good tourney coach.
Good tourney coaches have had multiple deep tourney runs: Izzo, Coach K, Boheim, Wright, Pitino, Self,

Yes, yes it is, whatever verb is used.

I don't think I've argued Painter is "a good tourney coach". I don't think I've made that argument at any time. In fact, I don't know that I've given that topic more than a second's worth of thought, and most of that while reading your complaints.

Which brings us right back to the point... you still refuse to define what you mean when you use the term "consistent success". How is that measured? It's your argument, so it merits a lot more than some subjective phrase.

Once you define "consistent success" we can have something more than your emotional evaluation.

Hopefully you'll have more substance than simply throwing out a few HOF names.

He’s averaged 1 tournament win per NCAA tournament held since he took over as head coach. Who else has done that for over a decade? AND not gotten caught cheating?

I don't think I've argued Painter is "a good tourney coach". I don't think I've made that argument at any time. In fact, I don't know that I've given that topic more than a second's worth of thought, and most of that while reading your complaints.

Which brings us right back to the point... you still refuse to define what you mean when you use the term "consistent success". How is that measured? It's your argument, so it merits a lot more than some subjective phrase.

Once you define "consistent success" we can have something more than your emotional evaluation.

He thinks Shaka Smart is a better coach than CMP, so there’s your measuring stick.

Those guys are HOF coaches because they've consistently made deep tourney runs. They all have multiple FFs and while they're periodically going to get upset by a lower seed, it's rare. They're usually in the FF discussion.
I just don't think you can call a coach consistent in the tourney when his deepest run in 18 years is a single E8.
That might all change this year.....

Are we officially out of the running on Parker Friedrechsen? Would think with Dre + Myles, the front court is full.

I’d add IU, UCLA, and Louisville.
Come on...the only one of those that would constitute more than the most modest of consideration is UCLA, and, even there...they have been almost as irrelevant as Indinia for almost as long, save the magical tournament run last year (after getting in as a play-in...and winning even that game in almost miraculous fashion).

Come on...the only one of those that would constitute more than the most modest of consideration is UCLA, and, even there...they have been almost as irrelevant as Indinia for almost as long, save the magical tournament run last year (after getting in as a play-in...and winning even that game in almost miraculous fashion).
Ok I’ll put it this way: do you really think Archie was a great recruiter, or did he get five stars because of where he was coaching ?

Don’t get me wrong, they are a 3rd tier program, definitely below the likes of MSU, Villanova, and UCLA, more along the lines of Louisville, Maryland and Syracuse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT