ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Recruiting

If, he does commit. What a deep position it will be with Smith, Gibbs-Lawhorn, Fletch and Myles. Then we'll have most likely "ice" berg, TK and Furst, Gillis and Waddell. Another very deep team. 🤞
Don’t forget Heide- he might be one of the most significant players on that roster.
And any team that has Gillis would still have Newman and Morton.

Roster grid after the huge DGL commit!

Looking at the grid, I could see Coach Painter taking a pause on accepting commitments until other players decide to leave the program. We know that Ivey will be gone to free up DGL’s scholarship, but we really don’t know that anyone else will decide to leave early, including Edey. I know that the odds say that someone will, but I don’t think it’s a bad message to say to a recruit that we want you badly, but we don’t have a scholarship to offer at the moment.

Reactions: TX4GB
I updated the below list. I would think that we'll take 4 total with this class.

I would be very happy with Colvin, Gibbs, Friedrichsen, and Booker.

I think a big is the most critical piece. It will be Edey's senior year, so assuming he isn't here, it's Furst, Gillis, and that's it.

Player - Position - Rivals Ranking - Notes

Matas Buzelis - SF - 27 - offer, visited 30-Jun
Xavier Booker - PF - 37 - offer, visited 4-Sep
Dravin Gibbs - PG - 39 - offer, visited several times (Shows as "warm" for Purdue and IU.)
Jeremy Fears - PG - 41 - offer (Shows as "warm" for MSU, UM, Illinois, Mizzou, IU)
Brandon White - C - 47 - offer
George Washington III - SG - 65 - contacted by Purdue Committed to Ohio State
Parker Friedrichsen - SG - 76 - offer, visited 2-Oct
Davius Loury - PF - 99 - offer
Joey Brown - PG - 104 - visited 3-Jun (holds offers from Illinois and LSU)
Jalen Hooks - SF - 109 - no offer, moving to CA
Lawrent Rice - PG - 117 - offer (Shows as "warm" for Ohio State and Louisville)
Myles Colvin - SF - 140 - COMMITTED
Jermaine Coleman - SF - NR - contacted by Purdue
Joey Hart - SG - NR - visited 15-Jun (Holds offers from Northwestern, ISU, BSU, Wichita State, etc)
Owen Freeman - PF - NR - offer, visited 21-Jun Committed to Iowa
Sam Orme - SF - NR - visited 18-Jun (Butler appears to be only offer. Purdue, IU, Iowa watching)
Nolan Winter - SF - NR - contacted by Purdue (Holds offers from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Stanford, etc)
Dalen Davis - PG - NR - contacted by Purdue (Holds offers from Illinois, Nebraska, Stanford, etc)
John Blackwell - SG - NR - offer (Purdue doesn't show up on his 247 as having offered. Wisconsin does though, with a bunch of mid majors)
Davion Hill - PG - NR - contacted by Purdue (no 247 page)
Kenneth Lewis - SF - NR - contacted by Purdue (no 247 page)
Christ Essandoko - C - NR - contacted by Purdue (Holds offers from Maryland, Illinois, TAMU, WF, Rutgers, Nebraska... impressive offer list if true)

The following players were briefly listed, but I haven't seen any news about them:
Ashton Williamson
AJ Dancler
Darrion Brooks
Jamie Hodges
Cooper Horn
Deaglan Sullivan
Qushawn Ware
TKR may take exception to being forgotten....

Looking at the grid, I could see Coach Painter taking a pause on accepting commitments until other players decide to leave the program. We know that Ivey will be gone to free up DGL’s scholarship, but we really don’t know that anyone else will decide to leave early, including Edey. I know that the odds say that someone will, but I don’t think it’s a bad message to say to a recruit that we want you badly, but we don’t have a scholarship to offer at the moment.
Right, I think Edey is back next year but I doubt the following year, we’ll see.

Roster grid after the huge DGL commit!

The 2022-2023 breakdown is definitely interesting in the fact you have 1 senior, 5 juniors, 1 sophomore, and 6 freshmen. The grade breakdown of 1-5-1-6 is a little odd to see, but I'm sure some of the 6 freshman will RS and not count in that graduating class.

Next year, assuming Ivey is gone, it looks like we will have another opening. We had one this year and didn't hit the portal, so not sure how Painter will play that next year. It would likely be someone who only has 1 year of eligibility remaining and fill a major need (not that we have one) that Painter believes could help the team and not cause any issues.

With Colvin and DGL, it looks like we are at the limit for the '23 class, but a lot can happen before then. Maybe Edey explodes and leaves early? I have heard Painter say he is comfortable over signing as there is likely to be some attrition, but not sure if that means over sign by 1 or 2. Parker Friedrichsen and Xavier Booker would be a nice way to finish the class.

PS - Purdue currently has the #1 recruiting class in 2023 (subject to change)

Not a lot of news here, but thought I’d post. Biggest thing to note is that he plans to decide in the feb-apr timeframe. Also, Purdue is farther away than any other school he is considering.

Surprising that Oklahoma wasn’t interested until they hired Moser. That might help us if they are playing catch up. We’ll see if we are in the top 5. CMP flew down there even though he probably knew DGL was committing. Iowa and Creighton will be right up there as favorites.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
While perusing MaxPreps, an interesting prospect showed up as a leading shot-blocker in the state. He is 6-11 Marial Diper from Rock Creek Academy in Sellersburg (Trey Kaufman's hometown). 11 ppg, 10 rpg, 7 bpg. A soccer player who has only been playing basketball for 3 years. He's a starter on the soccer team, too. Built more like Manute Bol than Zach Eey.
Played my home town team the other night. He is skinning and very raw wasn’t impressed, but never know. Could get a lot better.

Reactions: TX4GB
Thanks! Interview went pretty in depth. Goes into his faith, the injury, and recruiting process. He definitely wants to be great. I liked the reason he is playing at Montverde is to grow and play against the best in basketball. He didn’t want to play against swimmers and baseball players while at McCutcheon, funny but true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT