ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Recruiting

Man, Purdue is going to be stacked at the guard position for a long time. That should help land some blue chip Biggs I would think.
It's fun always having a 7 footer on the roster and it makes for good tv commentary, but does having a space eating big who mainly camps out in the paint translate to tourney success?
Will Painter consider changing his style (will he?) from having a big on the low block to having a 6'9-6'10 wing type who can step out, hit the 3, pull his defender out of the paint to create space?

It's fun always having a 7 footer on the roster and it makes for good tv commentary, but does having a space eating big who mainly camps out in the paint translate to tourney success?
Will Painter consider changing his style (will he?) from having a big on the low block to having a 6'9-6'10 wing type who can step out, hit the 3, pull his defender out of the paint to create space?

You mean like Jalen Washington.....whom Purdue and Painter heavily recruited and who had Purdue on his final list?

Reactions: DAG10 and Zaphod_B
You mean like Jalen Washington.....whom Purdue and Painter heavily recruited and who had Purdue on his final list?
Don't know anything about his game.

But, I'd say Furst fits that mold.

People talk about flow in the offense, when I see the flow in the offense becoming stagnant is when the ball gets dumped into the post, the post player starts trying to back down the D, waiting to see if a double team is coming, while the other 4 guys stand around the 3 pt line watching and waiting for a kick out.

People talk about flow in the offense, when I see the flow in the offense becoming stagnant is when the ball gets dumped into the post, the post player starts trying to back down the D, waiting to see if a double team is coming, while the other 4 guys stand around the 3 pt line watching and waiting for a kick out.

IMO, Caleb Furst and Trey Kaufman-Renn both fit that bill as well and are on the roster.

wait... WHAT?

You don't know anything about Jalen Washington's game????

Yet, you b*tch, p*ss and moan about Painter's recruiting, and you don't know anything about one of the bigger targets in recent history?

Dude...

Or Jajuan Johnson, or TKR. If only Painter changed his style ever...
While JJ could step out and hit that 12-18 footer, we didn't have a PG who was allowing looking to get to the rim. So, clearing some pace in the lane wasn't as impactful.
wait... WHAT?

Yet, you b*tch, p*ss and moan about Painter's recruiting, and you don't know anything about one of the bigger targets in recent history?

Dude...

I had to get some work done and didn't get to analyze his game.
But, going back almost 10 years now. Hammonds, Haas, Haarms, Edey.......

wait... WHAT?

Dude...
It's par for the course. I agree with Bone on a lot of things politically, but when it comes to basketball he just doesn't know what he is talking about. He's not alone though, there are a couple others on here that disappear when we win or things happen that frequently prove them wrong.

Bone at least shows back up. He then moves the goalposts, but at least he shows up.

Reactions: Purdue85
It's par for the course. I agree with Bone on a lot of things politically, but when it comes to basketball he just doesn't know what he is talking about. He's not alone though, there are a couple others on here that disappear when we win or things happen that frequently prove them wrong.

Bone at least shows back up. He then moves the goalposts, but at least he shows up.
Hopefully Painters philosophy of running the offense through a 7 footer on the block eventually gets him to a FF. So far, it hasn't proven effective in the tourney.

Hopefully Painters philosophy of running the offense through a 7 footer on the block eventually gets him to a FF. So far, it hasn't proven effective in the tourney.
His elite 8 recently proves otherwise. You know the one where had our 7 footer got the rebound, we would of been in a Final Four.

Last edited:
Reactions: Poprudy
His elite 8 recently proves otherwise. You know the one where had our 7 footer got the rebound, we would of been in a Final Four.
Haarms was the least back to the basket 7 footer we've had. He wasn't really a low block player. Painter ran a lot more high picks with him to clear out the lane because Edwards only needed a little space to shoot or drive and Haarms was sort of a mid range threat.

As they say, close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. You don't hang a banner for almost getting there due to a missed rebound.....

As they say, close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. You don't hang a banner for almost getting there due to a missed rebound.....
Well unless you're IU.

That aside, I am merely using the same analysis you and the other anti-Painter crowd have used in the past. You are quick to dismiss it when it is used to nuke your argument and then move the goalposts. Not really a good look for you.

I think Painter needs to find that happy medium between running the offense through the post and being an uptempo offense. I think with Tre and Edey he can do that. Edey starts with some of those power punches - easy buckets, quick fouls etc. Then Painter can switch to Tre who can bang down low as well as facilitate the offense from various spots on the floor.

Well unless you're IU.

That aside, I am merely using the same analysis you and the other anti-Painter crowd have used in the past. You are quick to dismiss it when it is used to nuke your argument and then move the goalposts. Not really a good look for you.
How did you nuke my argument?
Has Painters system of running the offense through a low post 7 footer led to a FF or NC? No

Has is produced consistent tourney success? That depends on your definition of success (1 E8 in 18 years and a S16 every 4 years on avg).

I'm not anti-Painter. I think he's done a really good job in recruiting (for the most part) the last few years. But, he's not had consistent success in the tourney. If you disagree, cite your data.

How did you nuke my argument?
Has Painters system of running the offense through a low post 7 footer led to a FF or NC? No

Has is produced consistent tourney success? That depends on your definition of success (1 E8 in 18 years and a S16 every 4 years on avg).

I'm not anti-Painter. I think he's done a really good job in recruiting (for the most part) the last few years. But, he's not had consistent success in the tourney. If you disagree, cite your data.
Your argument is nuked because you have used the same criteria to make posts against Painter. So essentially I am using your own context against you and you are floundering because of it.

He's been consistent in the tourney he just hasn't had a FF yet. And certainly based on his recruiting, changed in how he does things, etc, etc is certainly trending more towards deeper and deeper runs than the other direction. You not seeing it or accepting it, doesn't change that fact.

Reactions: Poprudy
I don’t think Painter’s philosophy is nearly that rigid. He adjusts to his personnel and he has been able to recruit great centers. Edey and Tre are a huge part of why Purdue is a top 10 team this year and they give Purdue a unique advantage over every other team in the country. Painter would be crazy not to exploit that advantage. He also has surrounded them with an awesome collection of shooters. Sasha, Ivey, IT, Gillis, Morton, and Furst are all over 40% from 3 and Hunter is right behind them at 37%.

The way to use Ivey is to have him play within the offense and not let defenses key on him. He did that beautifully last night and got a lot of great opportunities in limited minutes. There really is no need for him to feel like he has to carry the team. This is the best and most well rounded offense in the country, from what I can see.

Last edited:
Your argument is nuked because you have used the same criteria to make posts against Painter. So essentially I am using your own context against you and you are floundering because of it.

He's been consistent in the tourney he just hasn't had a FF yet. And certainly based on his recruiting, changed in how he does things, etc, etc is certainly trending more towards deeper and deeper runs than the other direction. You not seeing it or accepting it, doesn't change that fact.
You're wasting your time with Lenny he's been proven wrong so many times over the years that I've lost count.

He will just end up moving the goalposts on you just to avoid saying he was wrong. It's how he always has been and always will be.

He's not a bad guy though. You just can't take anything he says seriously. Once you learn to just use his posts for the comedic value that they are, he's much much easier to tolerate.

I've said many a time I want to have a beer with him and I still stand by that.

You're wasting your time with Lenny he's been proven wrong so many times over the years that I've lost count.

He will just end up moving the goalposts on you just to avoid saying he was wrong. It's how he always has been and always will be.

He's not a bad guy though. You just can't take anything he says seriously. Once you learn to just use his posts for the comedic value that they are, he's much much easier to tolerate.

Agree, I don't know him. I definitely, think he's passionate about Purdue sports, wants badly a FF or NC(as many of us). Many, I don't agree on. He's not a fan of CMP, seems to trash every loss as "we're done" or "disappointing season".

Sometimes as fans we need to let the season play out...

15-13 in the NCAA.
1E8
4 S16
in 18 years.
Has only 1 NCAA win over a team seeded more than 1 seed higher.
If that's consistent tourney success....OK.

I don't disagree that Painter is building what could be some really strong teams. I love what he's doing with his guard/wing recruiting (with a few exceptions). But, until he gets it done in March and gets to the FF, then it's just woulda, shoulda, coulda.

15-13 in the NCAA.
1E8
4 S16
in 18 years.
Has only 1 NCAA win over a team seeded more than 1 seed higher.
If that's consistent tourney success....OK.

I don't disagree that Painter is building what could be some really strong teams. I love what he's doing with his guard/wing recruiting (with a few exceptions). But, until he gets it done in March and gets to the FF, then it's just woulda, shoulda, coulda.
And see here is the best part, what you think is irrelevant. I know that stings for you to hear, but it's true. You and the three others on here that want Painter gone are the few that think he isn't a good coach.

He is on pace to be the winningest coach not only at Purdue, but rival all other coaches in B1G history. He's already 5th with more than 10 years likely left for him to coach.

The timetable you keep throwing around is also irrelevant as contrary to your belief, you aren't entitled to anything. Painter isn't going anywhere and is trending in the right direction. Sooner you accept that, the better your Purdue basketball experience will be.

And see here is the best part, what you think is irrelevant. I know that stings for you to hear, but it's true. You and the three others on here that want Painter gone are the few that think he isn't a good coach.

He is on pace to be the winningest coach not only at Purdue, but rival all other coaches in B1G history. He's already 5th with more than 10 years likely left for him to coach.

The timetable you keep throwing around is also irrelevant as contrary to your belief, you aren't entitled to anything. Painter isn't going anywhere and is trending in the right direction. Sooner you accept that, the better your Purdue basketball experience will be.
What does anything you just wrote have to do with whether Painter is considered successful in the tourney?

Please, share your data to support your position.

I'm really starting to see what you mean. Too bad really.

I'll do my part and drop it. It's not going anywhere anyway. He's entirely too worried about how he looks on the internet.

Last edited:
What does anything you just wrote have to do with whether Painter is considered successful in the tourney?

Please, share your data to support your position.
He averages 1 NCAA win per tournament. How many coaches at non blue blood programs have done that, over the span of a decade or more?

Reactions: DAG10 and Level 42

This.

That's why I had to poke the bear with my post last night. He's earned every bit of it (and much more), but I'm with you on the beers.

Reactions: Level 42
Or Cline hits a FT. Btw, what's up with our FT shooting lately??? We seemed improved on this...

Was great just last week Monday against Illinois, 21-26 or so with Edey missing 4? It will go back to average. Outside of Trevion this is a good FT shooting team.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

Starts out a beer, then a shot, then a steak and before you know it, he’s asking for a new Cadillac.

I and quite a few others already have to you several times in the past. You just keep moving the goalposts.
Ok, give me the data that supports the claim that Painter is a good tourney coach.
I've given mine that says he's not (yet).
The way this works is you then present your data to refute mine.
and......go.

He averages 1 NCAA win per tournament. How many coaches at non blue blood programs have done that, over the span of a decade or more?
That's the first time I've heard that stat used. I'm not sure anyone outside of Purdue would argue that stat demonstrates Painter as a good tourney coach.
In fact, considering Purdue has been favored in probably 80% of their first round NCAA games, that stat is even less impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT