ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Recruiting

Ok I’ll put it this way: do you really think Archie was a great recruiter, or did he get five stars because of where he was coaching ?

Don’t get me wrong, they are a 3rd tier program, definitely below the likes of MSU, Villanova, and UCLA, more along the lines of Louisville, Maryland and Syracuse.
What 5-stars did he get?

He got Romeo ONLY because of the problems at Louisville with Pitino, and, even then, it was merely because of Adidas...not Archie or Indinia...hell, he was on record as saying that the had next to no knowledge at all about the program or its ancient history, much less that it piqued his interest in going there.

Louisville is only relevant because it cheated...at incredible levels.

What do the schools that are blue blood programs generally have...a HC (maybe more than one if they are fortunate) that had a special run...very few have managed to sustain it, and, the few that have are the true blue bloods...Kentucky...Kansas...Duke...UNC. I am guessing Duke won't be the same after Coach K/under Jon Scheyer...Hubert has a ton of work to do to keep UNC relevant and a national power of any sort...both schools will have the benefit of NIL and former players to help.

I just don't consider Louisville or Indinia a true blue blood...and, UCLA is even marginal...they at least have stood the test of time. Guys went to Louisville not because of the history or even the potential...they went there because they were getting paid as well as other "benefits"....and, to play for a "legendary" coach in Pitino...was not the same before him (after Crum) and has not been the same since...and likely never will be. Indinia does not even have that...they literally have Bob Knight...that is it...and he has been gone probably for as long as he was there...there is literally no program or fan base in the entirety of the sport holding on to memories and the past to try to pitch modern relevance than Indinia.

Them is the facts...

I don't know that I agree with your assertion, but, can't deny that you definitely have the most important numbers in your favor in that debate.
It means he has a winning record not that he is a better coach. I would guess if we played Shakka now the outcome would be much different.

To expand on '23 recruiting what is happening with Xavier? Does he have any time line?
He has not provided a time line.

That said, in cases like this, where it seems so obvious that Purdue is a good fit...would be a good fit...if guys don't get that now, the longer the recruitment goes on, the less likely that they get it later...those guys are looking for something other than what Purdue provides, even if Purdue provides them something great.

It means he has a winning record not that he is a better coach. I would guess if we played Shakka now the outcome would be much different.
Maybe...but, I would have thought the same all 3 times that they played.

Maybe...but, I would have thought the same all 3 times that they played.
Also as Gene said, it's now who you play but when you play them. Look at Bryson Scott and how, I think, he never lost to IU even while playing at then IPFW.

Reactions: DAG10
What 5-stars did he get?

He got Romeo ONLY because of the problems at Louisville with Pitino, and, even then, it was merely because of Adidas...not Archie or Indinia...hell, he was on record as saying that the had next to no knowledge at all about the program or its ancient history, much less that it piqued his interest in going there.

What do the schools that are blue blood programs generally have...a HC (maybe more than one if they are fortunate) that had a special run...very few have managed to sustain it, and, the few that have are the true blue bloods...Kentucky...Kansas...Duke...UNC. I am guessing Duke won't be the same after Coach K/under Jon Scheyer...Hubert has a ton of work to do to keep UNC relevant and a national power of any sort...both schools will have the benefit of NIL and former players to help.

I just don't consider Louisville or Indinia a true blue blood...and, UCLA is even marginal...they at least have stood the test of time. Guys went to Louisville not because of the history or even the potential...they went there because they were getting paid as well as other "benefits"....and, to play for a "legendary" coach in Pitino...was not the same before him (after Crum) and has not been the same since...and likely never will be. Indinia does not even have that...they literally have Bob Knight...that is it...and he has been gone probably for as long as he was there...there is literally no program or fan base in the entirety of the sport holding on to memories and the past to try to pitch modern relevance than Indinia.
TJD was also a five star.

Not arguing that some blue bloods have haven’t achieved that status by cheating. Kansas and Kentucky foremost in that argument.

Reactions: DAG10
Those guys are HOF coaches because they've consistently made deep tourney runs. They all have multiple FFs and while they're periodically going to get upset by a lower seed, it's rare. They're usually in the FF discussion.
I just don't think you can call a coach consistent in the tourney when his deepest run in 18 years is a single E8.
That might all change this year.....
I don't disagree entirely, but, he generally has won when he was supposed to...has won several that he was not necessarily supposed to, and, he has made Purdue not just a fixture in the tournament, but, generally a tough out in it.

Easy to dismiss it as speculation (as it is just that), or, wishful thinking or something else, but, if Hummel does not get hurt at Minnesota, that team makes a legitimate run at a FF...same the following year...and, the Haas injury kept that team from a very legit shot as well in '18.

He has only been in one E8 as you point out...very easily could have been in 3, and, could have just as easily won any of said 3...he should have won the one that he was in.

Regardless, he has put together a couple of the best teams that Purdue has ever had, and, continues to have success with doing that...more so now than ever in that regard for that matter.

I really feel like there were 2 times that he truly laid an egg in the tournament...'16 and '17. Last year could be another and I would not argue...lots of teams laid an egg last year though (B1G ones in particular)...so while they absolutely should have won the N. Texas game, I think that was more an anomaly than the others. They lost to a good Kansas team in '17, but, never should have been embarrassed in the fashion that they were...that team was way better and more talented than what they showed in that game in particular.

TJD was also a five star.

Not arguing that some blue bloods have haven’t achieved that status by cheating. Kansas and Kentucky foremost in that argument.
TJD was overrated...still is...and, his going there had absolutely nothing to do with Bobby or their success in the 70s and 80s either...the kid went there because he wanted to be with his buddies and be a BMOC.

Reactions: PaBoiler78
Are we officially out of the running on Parker Friedrechsen? Would think with Dre + Myles, the front court is full.
Not sure. All I know is that you can never have too many shooters and Parker is one hell of a shooter! Painter has always said he wants 1 shooter per class and I'm not sure I would call Myles and Dra, shooters. Also, Myles could also still be growing. Could end up being 6'-6"-6'-7" and fall more under a SF. Secondly, we need some BIGS. I guess we will see where this class goes, but so far.......I'm loving the direction!

Also as Gene said, it's now who you play but when you play them. Look at Bryson Scott and how, I think, he never lost to IU even while playing at then IPFW.
Some truth to that for sure...but, not the entire truth...I don't care when Purdue plays Nebraska this year...they should beat them in their sleep...and that is true in many other cases as well. There definitely are times where you play someone at a bad or inopportune time and it results in a loss...I would argue that was a part of what happened against Indinia this year for that matter...but, like say, who you play matters more than when you play more often than not.

Some truth to that for sure...but, not the entire truth...I don't care when Purdue plays Nebraska this year...they should beat them in their sleep...and that is true in many other cases as well. There definitely are times where you play someone at a bad or inopportune time and it results in a loss...I would argue that was a part of what happened against Indinia this year for that matter...but, like say, who you play matters more than when you play more often than not.
I don't disagree and would also add that in another post of yours you bring up the B1G as a whole doing badly in the tourney, which sort of adds some support to the comment of who you play and when.

Then again, a single elimination tourney I don't think is efficient at picking a true champion as a hot team with luck and win the whole thing. Sure we haven't done it yet, but there are time when a team has that I would argue was not the best in the land.

Moot point since that format isn't changing. Just a thought.

Not sure. All I know is that you can never have too many shooters and Parker is one hell of a shooter! Painter has always said he wants 1 shooter per class and I'm not sure I would call Myles and Dra, shooters. Also, Myles could also still be growing. Could end up being 6'-6"-6'-7" and fall more under a SF. Secondly, we need some BIGS. I guess we will see where this class goes, but so far.......I'm loving the direction!
I have not seen anything definitively stating that Purdue is out on him...they went and saw him just ahead of the Gibbs-Lawson commitment...to the best of my knowledge, there was still interest, and, in that I agree with you that Myles may grow still into a 3, all the more reason for Purdue to have continued interest and be involved...that, and, he is much more a shooter than the other two are as you pointed out as well.

I don't disagree and would also add that in another post of yours you bring up the B1G as a whole doing badly in the tourney, which sort of adds some support to the comment of who you play and when.

Then again, a single elimination tourney I don't think is efficient at picking a true champion as a hot team with luck and win the whole thing. Sure we haven't done it yet, but there are time when a team has that I would argue was not the best in the land.

Moot point since that format isn't changing. Just a thought.
Definitely examples of that happening...UCLA last year was one for that matter (so was Oregon St.), but, plenty of others (Kansas/Manning...UConn has had a couple (Kemba/El-Amin, the year they beat Butler)...Syracuse the year that they beat Indinia...Dayton...Loyola...VCU...those all come to mind quickly, but, there are more without question).

Reactions: Level 42
What 5-stars did he get?

Don't forget IU had Branch before Bob. IU has known what it is to be a blue blood, but even though IU fans and a bit of the press want them to be, they no longer are nor do I see them being so again under Woodson....though they will be a tough out under him.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and DAG10
I know we were in on Davius Loury at PF but haven't seen much. Hopefully with AAU around the corner, we can get back to normal basketball recruiting operations.
He had an 18 rebound game recently.

He had an 18 rebound game recently.
I went to familiarize myself with him. Has solid list of offers.... Illinois, Iowa State, LSU, Oklahoma, Florida, Nebraska.... Already visited Illinois, but stated he wants to visit Purdue, Iowa State, and LSU. One to keep an eye on!

Side note...... In early December he had a quadruple-double. 16 pts, 10 reb, 11 ast, 11 stl.

Was he only a better coach in those 3 games? Was his FF run lucky? A fluke? Keep in mind, his VCU team ran Painter’s team off the floor that night in Chicago.
Finally, there’s no better barometer than head to head.

Those guys are HOF coaches because they've consistently made deep tourney runs. They all have multiple FFs and while they're periodically going to get upset by a lower seed, it's rare. They're usually in the FF discussion.
I just don't think you can call a coach consistent in the tourney when his deepest run in 18 years is a single E8.
That might all change this year.....
You're caught. You're in a bind.

You (again) made a statement without any clue as to how to back it up.

Again... you refuse to define what you mean when you use the term "consistent success". How is that measured?

WHAT DEFINES (IN YOUR MIND) "CONSISTENT SUCCESS"?

Otherwise, you're just crapping on people.

Reactions: BBG
Was he only a better coach in those 3 games? Was his FF run lucky? A fluke? Keep in mind, his VCU team ran Painter’s team off the floor that night in Chicago.
No better barometer than head to head? Huh I guess that makes Painter the best in the conference since Purdue is just a couple wins away from having a winning record against every school. That means he's better than Izzo and just about everyone else.

Glad you're finally coming around Lenny.

I went to familiarize myself with him. Has solid list of offers.... Illinois, Iowa State, LSU, Oklahoma, Florida, Nebraska.... Already visited Illinois, but stated he wants to visit Purdue, Iowa State, and LSU. One to keep an eye on!

Side note...... In early December he had a quadruple-double. 16 pts, 10 reb, 11 ast, 11 stl.
But can he play zone? TIC

I do wonder where he ends up but might be seeing how rosters shuffle out. Might be some competition here or not.

Head to head is a terrible way to compare. Shaka had a great run in his first NCAA Tournament and is 2-7 since with 6 losses in a row. He had a losing record in the Big Twelve at the flagship program in Texas. He is not on Matt Painter’s level as a coach.

Head to head is a terrible way to compare. Shaka had a great run in his first NCAA Tournament and is 2-7 since with 6 losses in a row. He had a losing record in the Big Twelve at the flagship program in Texas. He is not on Matt Painter’s level as a coach.
2023 recruiting?

Reactions: Purdue85
You're caught. You're in a bind.

You (again) made a statement without any clue as to how to back it up.

Again... you refuse to define what you mean when you use the term "consistent success". How is that measured?

WHAT DEFINES (IN YOUR MIND) "CONSISTENT SUCCESS"?

Otherwise, you're just crapping on people.
I was crapping? Damn…I was trying for bashing, not crapping.

No better barometer than head to head? Huh I guess that makes Painter the best in the conference since Purdue is just a couple wins away from having a winning record against every school. That means he's better than Izzo and just about everyone else.

Glad you're finally coming around Lenny.
The question isn’t, nor has it been, whether Painter is a good coach. He is. The question was, is he a successful NCAA tourney coach?
Would you say Keady was a good tourney coach?

But…he’s 3-0 vs Painter and has been to a Final Four, blowing out Painter along the way.

The question isn’t, nor has it been, whether Painter is a good coach. He is. The question was, is he a successful NCAA tourney coach?
Would you say Keady was a good tourney coach?
And there you go moving the goal posts again. How..... Lenny of you.

Using your logic since Keady had a winning record against Knight, that makes him a better coach all around....because head to head is the best barometer...stick with one avenue Lenny.

Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT