ADVERTISEMENT

Yanni Coming to Purdue?

Chi I can mostly agree with you. and we seldom agree on anything.

What I don't understand and nobody has pointed out are what are his parent's ties to Purdue and the community that makes them such a unique bind to Purdue and why people believe he'll play for Purdue? What makes this family so different than any other Purdue professor's family? I've known many other Purdue professor's kids who went elsewhere. Why is this one so different and unique?

an honest answer is all I need.

Reactions: Wan51487193
But then you couldn't reference winning, as if you are the only person who wants to win, Wisconsin, and facts that aren't real facts

Like I said, I wasn't disagreeing with Des. I was disagreeing with hausta.

You can twist my words anyway you want, but you knew exactly the point I was making.

What I don't understand and nobody has pointed out are what are his parent's ties to Purdue and the community that makes them such a unique bind to Purdue and why people believe he'll play for Purdue? What makes this family so different than any other Purdue professor's family? I've known many other Purdue professor's kids who went elsewhere. Why is this one so different and unique?

Google the Weida family and west lafayette. Also google Jerry Weida and purdue.

Yanni's moms dad has been practicing medicine for 56 years in Lafayette. Grandpa got smart many years ago and go into the real estate business in West Lafayette and is a rental baron besides being a great doctor. The family has great roots at West Lafayette. Granted that does not mean he will not go to somewhere else.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Like I said, I wasn't disagreeing with Des. I was disagreeing with hausta.

You can twist my words anyway you want, but you knew exactly the point I was making.

You weren't disagreeing just trying to show instances where he could be proven wrong.

and I simply stated just because his parents seem to be intertwined with Purdue and the community and his mom is best friends with somebody that it shouldn't be a given Yanni would choose to go to Purdue. there are many children who do not follow their parent's path.

Again, no one said that it was.

This thread is giving me a headache. I'd like to know who Mrs. Karlaftis' best friend is, but des is probably long gone.

Wole: stop trying to pigeon-hole everything. There are no absolutes and there are many different types of situations. No one, I mean NO ONE, has said that Yanni is absolutely coming to Purdue. Let me repeat, no one! Yet you said, "I believe you are making a very bad assumption that Yanni is a given to attend Purdue." No one has done that. Not destewart, not Nat, not Hausta. None of them are stupid enough to do that.

Yes, there are lots of examples of kids not going where their parents did. Good for you, you came up with a few. Wasn't hard. But how many of those situations are the same as the Karlaftis one? Zero, because no situation is the same as another. Yeah Archie went to Ole Miss, but his kids grew up in New Orleans! Brian Griese didn't grow up in Indiana AFAIK. You heard reasons why other kids didn't go to their parents' alma maters. None of them really matter. The point was that the ties that the family has to Purdue are different than other situations, and it would make people think that there's a reasonable chance that Yanni will commit to Purdue.

Just stop.
Yanni’s moms best friend is TJ Storments Mom. Yanni is a heavy lean to TCU now.

New Article from midwest recruiting analyst Josh Helmholdt.
https://n.rivals.com/news/ranking-the-contenders-yanni-karlaftis

West Lafayette, Ind., linebacker Yanni Karlaftis saw his brother star for the hometown Purdue Boilermakers last fall as a freshman. Is the four-star prospect ready to follow in his brother’s footsteps, or is he more likely to blaze his own path? Karlaftis has narrowed his focus to four schools, and Purdue is among that final group. It remains to be seen, though, if the Boilermakers hold off threats from within their own conference and from the West Coast. Below is a ranking of the contenders for his commitment.

1. PURDUE
This battle is a lot closer than most people think. I gave strong consideration to putting Wisconsin in the top spot, but the longer I thought about it there were more paths that ultimately lead to Purdue. I certainly see the recruiting shutdown helping the Boilermakers here. The familiarity gap between Purdue and the other top schools here is expansive, and not closing any time soon. We saw his older brother, George Karlaftis, take a national look and ultimately sign with the hometown team. We could see Yanni doing the same.

2. WISCONSIN
One reason why Wisconsin has remained strong in this recruitment while other Big Ten schools have faded away is because the Badgers resonated with Karlaftis on a level those other schools did not. He definitely sees a fit for his style of play and, I believe, his personality in Madison. Among the reasons they have a strong shot of landing the four-star linebacker is because they are not Purdue. Throughout his recruitment I have had a sense that Yanni does have a very distinct desire to blaze his own path. Wisconsin gives him that option.

3. CAL
Cal jumped into this recruitment in January, but immediately charged up the list of contenders in Karlaftis’s recruitment. The style of Pac-12 football – with its wide-open offenses and linebackers who need to be athletes in space and not just downhill warriors – appeals to Karlaftis. He was particularly impressed with Evan Weaver's senior season at Cal, before Weaver would go on to be a sixth round pick in April’s NFL Draft. The Golden Bears also present a chance for Karlaftis to blaze his own path, and could make things interesting if they are able to get him out to Berkeley for a visit.

4. OREGON
Oregon head coach Mario Cristobal played at the University of Miami during the same time as Karlaftis’ father, who has since passed away. Many of the reasons why Cal interests Karlaftis are why he is interested in Oregon – it is a chance to make a name for himself away from West Lafayette, and the style of Pac-12 football appeals to him. If the West Coast schools are to have a shot here, though, this recruitment needs to stretch into senior year and Karlaftis has to be able to visit those programs.

Reactions: KentuckyBoiler
New Article from midwest recruiting analyst Josh Helmholdt.
https://n.rivals.com/news/ranking-the-contenders-yanni-karlaftis

West Lafayette, Ind., linebacker Yanni Karlaftis saw his brother star for the hometown Purdue Boilermakers last fall as a freshman. Is the four-star prospect ready to follow in his brother’s footsteps, or is he more likely to blaze his own path? Karlaftis has narrowed his focus to four schools, and Purdue is among that final group. It remains to be seen, though, if the Boilermakers hold off threats from within their own conference and from the West Coast. Below is a ranking of the contenders for his commitment.

1. PURDUE
This battle is a lot closer than most people think. I gave strong consideration to putting Wisconsin in the top spot, but the longer I thought about it there were more paths that ultimately lead to Purdue. I certainly see the recruiting shutdown helping the Boilermakers here. The familiarity gap between Purdue and the other top schools here is expansive, and not closing any time soon. We saw his older brother, George Karlaftis, take a national look and ultimately sign with the hometown team. We could see Yanni doing the same.

2. WISCONSIN
One reason why Wisconsin has remained strong in this recruitment while other Big Ten schools have faded away is because the Badgers resonated with Karlaftis on a level those other schools did not. He definitely sees a fit for his style of play and, I believe, his personality in Madison. Among the reasons they have a strong shot of landing the four-star linebacker is because they are not Purdue. Throughout his recruitment I have had a sense that Yanni does have a very distinct desire to blaze his own path. Wisconsin gives him that option.

3. CAL
Cal jumped into this recruitment in January, but immediately charged up the list of contenders in Karlaftis’s recruitment. The style of Pac-12 football – with its wide-open offenses and linebackers who need to be athletes in space and not just downhill warriors – appeals to Karlaftis. He was particularly impressed with Evan Weaver's senior season at Cal, before Weaver would go on to be a sixth round pick in April’s NFL Draft. The Golden Bears also present a chance for Karlaftis to blaze his own path, and could make things interesting if they are able to get him out to Berkeley for a visit.

4. OREGON
Oregon head coach Mario Cristobal played at the University of Miami during the same time as Karlaftis’ father, who has since passed away. Many of the reasons why Cal interests Karlaftis are why he is interested in Oregon – it is a chance to make a name for himself away from West Lafayette, and the style of Pac-12 football appeals to him. If the West Coast schools are to have a shot here, though, this recruitment needs to stretch into senior year and Karlaftis has to be able to visit those programs.
Hope Josh is right, and I feel he is.

Yanni's moms dad has been practicing medicine for 56 years in Lafayette. Grandpa got smart many years ago and go into the real estate business in West Lafayette and is a rental baron besides being a great doctor. The family has great roots at West Lafayette. Granted that does not mean he will not go to somewhere else.
It will be interesting to see what path he chooses. Sometimes an athlete feels it’s best just to get away so there is no distractions because of family. It all depends on what is in Yanni’s head. It’s like here in Dayton Ohio, where Obi Toppin Proved that a player with a ton of talent and a lesser known rising star about them can come in and get the tutelage they need to make the big jump to being a lottery pick and basketball. Yet his younger brother left Rhode Island and went to Kentucky where they don’t have a history of developing any players just recruiting the five star player that is one and done. Most likely because he felt he could do it with the talent he has. Hopefully Yanni realizes being developed matters

I wouldn't come here after Drew's bullshit. Sickened
What a true racist dipshit you are. Tying a kid's school choice to a statement by a player that has been gone twenty years is one if the most asinine things ever posted on here and that's really saying something.

What a true racist dipshit you are. Tying a kid's school choice to a statement by a player that has been gone twenty years is one if the most asinine things ever posted on here and that's really saying something.
Obviously either a troll or easily triggered.

As I said, I provided just a very few examples without even doing much research.

Where did Bob Greise's son go to college? Just curious.

Will you assume all of Drew Brees' children will be attending Purdue?

The Griese family and the Brees family did/do not live in West Lafayette, did not have grandparents and parents who were/ are Purdue alums, and did/do not have significant family business interests in Lafayette!

The Griese family and the Brees family did/do not live in West Lafayette, did not have grandparents and parents who were/ are Purdue alums, and did/do not have significant family business interests in Lafayette!

Purdue85All-American
For accuracy, it was destewart. DEstewart. Been around the forums/fora only slightly longer than I (OGFP and Rivals). And, while I occasionally disagree with him, he is rarely disagreeable and one of the best all-arounds you can find on algore's interwebs.
His point was clear, and 100% accurate. As he wrote: "The Karlaftis brothers are not your ordinary legacies. Nor are their ties to Purdue the typical legacy ties." That is absolutely true, and will weigh heavily on his decision.

I know who destewart is and I know his ties to the area. Instead of a knee-jerk reaction to be disagreeable, and engage in a search for random examples to the contrary, you might want to engage him and hear him out. You might learn something.

My wife and I sat beside destewart at WBB during the Kristy Curry years and I was astounded and appreciative for the Purdue sports history lessons he shared with us during those years. I am not afraid to admit that I learned a lot from him and we continue bumping into each other in Shively during football games. He is Purdue's Donald Davidson! The man is a gentleman and a true Boilermaker!!!!!!!!!!! :)

If I were him, I'd leave home, get away, and do his own thing. And that has nothing to do with football. He'll probably end up a star at PU if he stays, his brother has shown that in his true FR year.

I'm only saying that in the sense of if I were to hop in a time machine and give my 16 year old self advice, it'd be to get away from home and see something different because it's easier to come back than to leave. I was able to get away from my hometown, but in retrospect wish I would've taken some chances going to school far away.

Again, from a football perspective, there's no reason not to stay home and play in front of family on an up and coming team.

If I were him, I'd leave home, get away, and do his own thing. And that has nothing to do with football. He'll probably end up a star at PU if he stays, his brother has shown that in his true FR year.

I'm only saying that in the sense of if I were to hop in a time machine and give my 16 year old self advice, it'd be to get away from home and see something different because it's easier to come back than to leave. I was able to get away from my hometown, but in retrospect wish I would've taken some chances going to school far away.

Again, from a football perspective, there's no reason not to stay home and play in front of family on an up and coming team.
Actually, Purdue has somewhat of a history of nepotism when you look at Holts son last year. I bet his chance to get significant playing time here are higher than anywhere else.

Reactions: TheGunner
Please explain how nepotism has anything to do with recruiting a current player's brother?

Please explain how nepotism has anything to do with recruiting a current player's brother?
Lol, who else would you have played? We had nothing.
He should have started but having your father as a coach or a brother that's a current or former starter gives you a bit of a boost when you're competing for positions. The best person will get the job but if it's close, those connections can make a difference. That's not unique to Purdue.

Actually, Purdue has somewhat of a history of nepotism when you look at Holts son last year. I bet his chance to get significant playing time here are higher than anywhere else.
I wasn't talking about playing time. He'd for sure get PT at PU, maybe even significantly like his brother. My point is that I generally encourage kids I know to get the heck out of town/area for college purely for the experience of being away/alone.

I wasn't talking about playing time. He'd for sure get PT at PU, maybe even significantly like his brother. My point is that I generally encourage kids I know to get the heck out of town/area for college purely for the experience of being away/alone.
He can have all that he wants in the NFL later.

Reactions: KentuckyBoiler
FYI, my Dad went to Purdue; I chose Purdue over U of Texas and I once guarded Drake Morris at a pick up game at the co-rec!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT