ADVERTISEMENT

Yanni Coming to Purdue?

4th Player said:

FYI, my Dad went to Purdue; I chose Purdue over U of Texas and I once guarded Drake Morris at a pick up game at the co-rec!

Drake was one heck of an athlete. Who won that battle? :)
[/quote]
I thought I was a pretty good defensive player in intramural basketball but he was a little more athletic than me!

Much like that basketball player who said he was going to be a computer science major. And where did he go? To one of the greatest computer science programs in the entire nation. - Oregon!

Reactions: SCBoiler1
Much like that basketball player who said he was going to be a computer science major. And where did he go? To one of the greatest computer science programs in the entire nation. - Oregon!
Yeah, and he's transferring already. Why do you feel the need to be a debbie downer often when it comes to recruiting? I've seen you make several comments just like this one.

Here's what 247 had to say about his decision written on July 16. It's written from a Cal perspective FYI.

Commitment Date: Aug. 9

Latest Intel: West Lafayette (Indiana) linebacker Yanni Karlaftis is down to four schools and has a decision date set. Crystal ball picks have been split between Purdue and Wisconsin - and neither have a high confidence level either. Cal has been called the "dark horse" pick while Oregon also rounds out his Top 4.

Karlaftis has taken a virtual visit to Cal - and Oregon as well. He has visited nearby Purdue several times and Wisconsin once.

Quotable: Karlaftis said, “I feel like the four schools I have a really, really good idea of what they are and I do picture myself at all those schools. I am getting better ideas day by day the decision is getting easier.

“Cal is a really good school. They’ve had a couple really good linebackers. They have had two All-American linebackers in the past couple years. I’ve been building a good relationship with their linebackers coach and I think it could be a good fit for me."

Cal’s odds: 20% - Karlaftis is down to four schools and we put Cal's odds at just under even in a one-out-of-four shot. Closer-to-home schools Wisconsin and Purdue have slightly higher odds while Cal and Oregon try to convince him to make a West Coast move during uncertain times.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Here's what 247 had to say about his decision written on July 16. It's written from a Cal perspective FYI.

Commitment Date: Aug. 9

Latest Intel: West Lafayette (Indiana) linebacker Yanni Karlaftis is down to four schools and has a decision date set. Crystal ball picks have been split between Purdue and Wisconsin - and neither have a high confidence level either. Cal has been called the "dark horse" pick while Oregon also rounds out his Top 4.

Karlaftis has taken a virtual visit to Cal - and Oregon as well. He has visited nearby Purdue several times and Wisconsin once.

Quotable: Karlaftis said, “I feel like the four schools I have a really, really good idea of what they are and I do picture myself at all those schools. I am getting better ideas day by day the decision is getting easier.

“Cal is a really good school. They’ve had a couple really good linebackers. They have had two All-American linebackers in the past couple years. I’ve been building a good relationship with their linebackers coach and I think it could be a good fit for me."

Cal’s odds: 20% - Karlaftis is down to four schools and we put Cal's odds at just under even in a one-out-of-four shot. Closer-to-home schools Wisconsin and Purdue have slightly higher odds while Cal and Oregon try to convince him to make a West Coast move during uncertain times.
Don’t know the young man or family, but restricted travel in states that are on lock down will put odds in both Purdue and WI favor.

Reactions: HarrysPostGame13
As I said, I provided just a very few examples without even doing much research.

Where did Bob Greise's son go to college? Just curious.

Will you assume all of Drew Brees' children will be attending Purdue?

Where did Bob Griese’s son grow up, go to high school and what connections did he have to Indiana, West Lafayette and Purdue aside from his Father being a graduate?

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Brian Greise was recruited by Purdue but decided to attend Michigan. There are many other examples I could have used of players going to a different college than their parents. And it’s the same with brothers. Sometimes family has influence and ties and sometimes a person wants to carve out their own niche elsewhere. And I respect the player and their family for the decisions they make even if they go against the fan’s desires.

My son competed against Purdue athletes rather than with them. Both his parents were Purdue grads and his grandmother worked for the Purdue cancer research center and his cousins and aunts and uncles all live in West Lafayette and Lafayette. But he wanted to carve his own path and I didn’t force him to attend Purdue.

I suspect it’s much the same way with Yanni. I would assume his parents and brother would be proud if he chose Purdue. I know this board would be ecstatic . However, I believe his parents and family will support any decision he makes.

did Orville Reddinbocker’s or Neil Armstrong’s children go to Purdue?

there are many children who follow in their parent’s footsteps, but many more who don’t.

I’d love Yanni to come to Purdue, But I would understand and accept if he chose to go to Oregon or UW.

Brian Greise was recruited by Purdue but decided to attend Michigan. There are many other examples I could have used of players going to a different college than their parents. And it’s the same with brothers. Sometimes family has influence and ties and sometimes a person wants to carve out their own niche elsewhere. And I respect the player and their family for the decisions they make even if they go against the fan’s desires.

My son competed against Purdue athletes rather than with them. Both his parents were Purdue grads and his grandmother worked for the Purdue cancer research center and his cousins and aunts and uncles all live in West Lafayette and Lafayette. But he wanted to carve his own path and I didn’t force him to attend Purdue.

I suspect it’s much the same way with Yanni. I would assume his parents and brother would be proud if he chose Purdue. I know this board would be ecstatic . However, I believe his parents and family will support any decision he makes.

there are many children who follow in their parent’s footsteps, but many more who don’t.

I’d love Yanni to come to Purdue, But I would understand and accept if he chose to go to Oregon or UW.

So you are going to ignore the actual questions and go on a rant...

giphy.gif

Reactions: jindy
Not trying to speak for Wolegib, but I think he’s trying to say that despite the Purdue connections, whatever decision Yanni makes, his family may be disappointed, but would still support him. He is his own person and can do what he chooses.

Likewise, lots of posters on here also demonstrate it seems that the cards are a stacked deck for a Purdue decision.

He’s announcing in 16 days. Definitely don’t think Eron’s tweet was Yanni related, but hopefully this is part of the beginning of good news. IE:

Purdue football starts training camp, Yanni commits, football is played in September, Purdue has a hot start and recruiting continues to play out like, or better, than previous years. Can’t wait until 2021 season, my expectations are 8+ win seasons from there on out.

Reactions: Boilermaker24

Well, according to Brian he’s down to Purdue and Cal, so . . . . . .

Did Orville Reddinbocker’s or Neil Armstrong’s children go to Purdue?

Orville's grand kids attended Purdue. I lived with him for a year

Orville's grand kids attended Purdue. I lived with him for a year

You don't understand. That doesn't matter.

It also doesn't matter that Neil Armstrong's daughter passed away at age 2. (Two sons are still living.)

It also doesn't matter that Neil Armstrong wasn't from Indiana, and his kids didn't live their whole lives in Indiana.

In fact, Neil grew up in Ohio, went to grad school at USC, taught for years in Ohio (UC), and this is where his kids essentially grew up. But, all that is supposed to be relevant to the Yanni-to-Purdue discussion.

It also wouldn't have mattered if all the Reddenbachers, Armstrongs, Grieses, Danielsons, (etc.) had, in fact, all gone to Purdue. There would have been someone to pluck out of thin air in an effort to find some argument to make.

Oh, well.

Reactions: jindy
His kid wasn't a scholarship athlete so not likely.
I just wanted clarification since he made a point out of his son choosing to play against Purdue in spite of both parents being alums. I wanted to know if Purdue recruited him and he chose SIU instead.

I just wanted clarification since he made a point out of his son choosing to play against Purdue in spite of both parents being alums. I wanted to know if Purdue recruited him and he chose SIU instead.

Understand. Unless his story has changed, the kid went DIII(no athletic scholarships, but he'll try to redefine that again i'm sure).

Understand. Unless his story has changed, the kid went DIII(no athletic scholarships, but he'll try to redefine that again i'm sure).
Actually he was a track athlete at SIU which is in the MVC and would be considered a mid-major

Actually he was a track athlete at SIU which is in the MVC and would be considered a mid-major

You're right. I mis -remembered. He had claimed that his son had an athletic scholarship offer from a DIII school, which is impossible. Thanks

I really don't get the grief given to Wolegib.

First of all SIU is D1 in Track. Its non disputable so let it go.

Secondly, many of us were limited in our college choice for financial or academic reasons. If your not getting a scholarship, an instate public university makes a lot of sense. If your getting a full ride scholarship it opens up so many more opportunities. My kids and their friends just went through the process and some chose schools close to home but many chose to venture out and see something new. Their school did a great job of encouraging kids to focus on schools that were the best fit for them. My kids both chose small liberal arts schools far away from home that emphasized areas of study they were interested in.

You may have a different opinion but If you can't understand what Wolejib is saying it says a lot more about you than it does about Wolegib.

I really don't get the grief given to Wolegib.

First of all SIU is D1 in Track. Its non disputable so let it go.

Secondly, many of us were limited in our college choice for financial or academic reasons. If your not getting a scholarship, an instate public university makes a lot of sense. If your getting a full ride scholarship it opens up so many more opportunities. My kids and their friends just went through the process and some chose schools close to home but many chose to venture out and see something new. Their school did a great job of encouraging kids to focus on schools that were the best fit for them. My kids both chose small liberal arts schools far away from home that emphasized areas of study they were interested in.

You may have a different opinion but If you can't understand what Wolejib is saying it says a lot more about you than it does about Wolegib.

It has nothing to do with Wolegib's little rant. It has everything to do with how many damn times he's mentioned his kid being a D1 athlete out of context...

It has nothing to do with Wolegib's little rant. It has everything to do with how many damn times he's mentioned his kid being a D1 athlete out of context...

I usually like your take on things but the guy is proud of his kid. So what? I get its not football or basketball but there is no dispute that his kid was a D1 athlete if he ran track at SIU. I'm sure his kid's college choice was just as important to him and his son as any football or basketball players.

Look I'm sure Wolejib doesn't need me to defend him but there seems to be a group of posters on here that go after him no matter what he post. I just wanted to let him know there are people out here that enjoy reading his post.

Again I think you have a lot of good takes on Purdue's football and basketball teams so I'm not trying to be antagonistic, I just wish people would layoff a bit.

Be Best! ;)

I usually like your take on things but the guy is proud of his kid. So what? I get its not football or basketball but there is no dispute that his kid was a D1 athlete if he ran track at SIU. I'm sure his kid's college choice was just as important to him and his son as any football or basketball players.

Look I'm sure Wolejib doesn't need me to defend him but there seems to be a group of posters on here that go after him no matter what he post. I just wanted to let him know there are people out here that enjoy reading his post.

Again I think you have a lot of good takes on Purdue's football and basketball teams so I'm not trying to be antagonistic, I just wish people would layoff a bit.

Be Best! ;)

People "go after" him no matter what he posts? Uh, no. I might be mistaken, but I believe I seen you come to his defense in the past. Your claim (above) is simply untrue.

Look... I certainly respond to may share of Bigs' posts. There are also many I simply let go without a response. (Some I just shake my head and move on.)

Many of the posts to which I do respond are so blatantly wrong, uninformed, mis-informed (however you wish to characterize them), they're simply screaming for a response.

It goes with the territory: if you don't want people to respond to your posts, don't post on a forum.

It's truly that simple.

Be Best! ;)

I'm not questioning his kid is D1. What I'm questioning is his need to mention it every chance he gets. There are a lot of other parents on here with some who probably have D1 athletes in their family. I don't hear anyone else humble bragging about it in so many threads.

George was asked about Yanni in his interview at 6:40-6:55.

While George didn’t directly answer the question (he pointed at the Purdue logo), he did not refuse to respond like he did with a different question or really hesitate. I took that as a positive.

So if the season is moved to spring and Yanni would graduate mid-year would he be eligible for the spring season?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT