ADVERTISEMENT

Yanni Coming to Purdue?

Boiler Addict

True Freshman
Feb 19, 2020
Maybe it’s just me, but the way I read his quotes in this article, his recruitment is more undecided then I realized.

He mentions he wanted to take his official visits and commit before the season started. The dead period is through June 30. Sounds like his new timeline is a late July decision at the earliest.

What the craziest part to me is Diaco’s defense seems so suited for his skill set and it would be a great fit.

https://www.si.com/college/wisconsi...-purdue-oregon-california-football-recruiting

Maybe it’s just me, but the way I read his quotes in this article, his recruitment is more undecided then I realized.

He mentions he wanted to take his official visits and commit before the season started. The dead period is through June 30. Sounds like his new timeline is a late July decision at the earliest.

What the craziest part to me is Diaco’s defense seems so suited for his skill set and it would be a great fit.

https://www.si.com/college/wisconsi...-purdue-oregon-california-football-recruiting
He has had that same attitude since last year. He has not changed his stance. Not a surprise. I still say with George and his family being very close knit. I still think Purdue is going to be hard for him to turn down.

Last edited:
He has had that same attitude since last year. He has not changed his stance. Not a surprise. I still say with George and his family being very close knit. I still think Purdue is going to be hard for him to turn down.

That’s the point and concern, his attitude hasn’t changed in a year. It doesn’t seem like he’s leaning Purdue even a bit right now.

I’m curious if Yanni has a good poker face or if Wiltfong is just guessing like all of us. I agree with you, Purdue is going to be hard to turn down for most recruits in his spot, but as noted in his recruitment previously, he’s the type that has the potential to do something different. Let’s hope for the best. He’d be so dang good playing for Purdue.

That’s the point and concern, his attitude hasn’t changed in a year. It doesn’t seem like he’s leaning Purdue even a bit right now.

I’m curious if Yanni has a good poker face or if Wiltfong is just guessing like all of us. I agree with you, Purdue is going to be hard to turn down for most recruits in his spot, but as noted in his recruitment previously, he’s the type that has the potential to do something different. Let’s hope for the best. He’d be so dang good playing for Purdue.
Wiltfing tends not to guess

Reactions: KentuckyBoiler
He would be a day 1 starter at Purdue. He wouldn’t necessarily be that at Wisconsin or other places on his list. At Purdue he would be minutes from family and with older brother. There is a lot going for the boilers.

Maybe he just wants to give it a second look? I think we are well positioned.

or maybe he wants to go to a major bowl game and compete for a BIG 10 championship which is something Purdue is not really a guarantee to do in the near future. There had to be a reason he liked Michigan before their coach left. UW has also put a lot of linebackers into the pros as high draft picks. UW has a very good reputation for developing football players. And it's a great school academic wise.

I'm just not so sure offering a player he'll be an immediate starter is that great of an enticement for elite players. It's a great incentive for 2/3 star and juco players, but not elite 4/5 star players. Elite players have a tendency to believe they will start or at least be contributors immediately for any team. and if they don't, they transfer QBs to Northwestern, LSU and OSU ? TE from Alabama to Illinois? and where did Tua's brother just transfer to? etc … if elites don't start for powerful teams like Alabama, Clemson and OSU, etc, immediately, they transfer. Look at Burrows! So I kind of anticipate yanni believes he would start or at least play for any team immediately.

I'm thinking of the basketball Robinsons, Waltons, Jordans, and and the football Mannings. Many times siblings and children like to carve out their own niche at different schools. and just because he's from West Lafayette doesn't mean he wants to stay here. There was that football player at CC who decided to play for IU, and then decided to transfer to …. not Purdue, but some team in Iowa. And that basketball player from West Lafayette who decided to play for IU.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see him playing for Purdue. But I look around me. Both my wife and I are Purdue grads, and all my son wanted to do was go to Michigan.

I really want Yanni to play for Purdue. he could be a difference maker here. But I will understand his decision and accept it if he decides to go elsewhere.

If it were me I’d probably take the other trips too. Why not?
The thing that concerns me is how good of salesmen he’ll encounter.

or maybe he wants to go to a major bowl game and compete for a BIG 10 championship which is something Purdue is not really a guarantee to do in the near future. There had to be a reason he liked Michigan before their coach left. UW has also put a lot of linebackers into the pros as high draft picks. UW has a very good reputation for developing football players. And it's a great school academic wise.

I'm just not so sure offering a player he'll be an immediate starter is that great of an enticement for elite players. It's a great incentive for 2/3 star and juco players, but not elite 4/5 star players. Elite players have a tendency to believe they will start or at least be contributors immediately for any team. and if they don't, they transfer QBs to Northwestern, LSU and OSU ? TE from Alabama to Illinois? and where did Tua's brother just transfer to? etc … if elites don't start for powerful teams like Alabama, Clemson and OSU, etc, immediately, they transfer. Look at Burrows! So I kind of anticipate yanni believes he would start or at least play for any team immediately.

I'm thinking of the basketball Robinsons, Waltons, Jordans, and and the football Mannings. Many times siblings and children like to carve out their own niche at different schools. and just because he's from West Lafayette doesn't mean he wants to stay here. There was that football player at CC who decided to play for IU, and then decided to transfer to …. not Purdue, but some team in Iowa. And that basketball player from West Lafayette who decided to play for IU.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see him playing for Purdue. But I look around me. Both my wife and I are Purdue grads, and all my son wanted to do was go to Michigan.

I really want Yanni to play for Purdue. he could be a difference maker here. But I will understand his decision and accept it if he decides to go elsewhere.

You may not be aware of the significant family business enterprises in West Lafayette. The Karlaftis brothers are not your ordinary legacies. Nor are their ties to Purdue the typical legacy ties.

Reactions: TheGunner
You may not be aware of the significant family business enterprises in West Lafayette. The Karlaftis brothers are not your ordinary legacies. Nor are their ties to Purdue the typical legacy ties.

No I admit I'm not aware of their family enterprises. I know about bob Rooooooorhman and his contributions to Purdue. I am aware that many legacies that some predicted were sure things decided to go elsewhere.

I'm also aware of UW's recent success as it pertains to both wins and developing linebackers.

Unlike some, I believe a team's record, their recent bowl history, their coaches and their ability to produce high NFL picks are huge factors in a recruit's decision process. Are they bigger than family ties and history?

Yanni would be a tremendous step forward for Purdue football's program. I would be extremely disappointed should he decide to play elsewhere. But I'm confident where ever he goes will be his decision, and he will enjoy success.

Last edited:
No I admit I'm not aware of their family enterprises. I know about bob Rooooooorhman and his contributions to Purdue. I am aware that many legacies that some predicted were sure things decided to go elsewhere.

I'm also aware of UW's recent success as it pertains to both wins and developing linebackers.

Unlike some, I believe a team's record, their recent bowl history, their coaches and their ability to produce high NFL picks are huge factors in a recruit's decision process. Are they bigger than family ties and history?

Yanni would be a tremendous step forward for Purdue football's program. I would be extremely disappointed should he decide to play elsewhere. But I'm confident where ever he goes will be his decision, and he will enjoy success.

Do you know who his Mom’s best friend is?

Alright .. I admit it... when I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was this guy:

Yannitributecover.jpg

No I don't know who his wife's best friend is. I do know Archie manning basically owned the University of Mississippi, and his sons decided to play at different colleges. Tua's brother also decided not to follow in his brother's footsteps at Alabama. I hope that trend doesn't continue.

No I don't know who his wife's best friend is. I do know Archie manning basically owned the University of Mississippi, and his sons decided to play at different colleges. Tua's brother also decided not to follow in his brother's footsteps at Alabama. I hope that trend doesn't continue.

Tua had no connection to Alabama other than to play football there but his brother DID go to play there and has now transferred. Eli DID go to Ole Miss... So what else you got?

Two of the three manning sons played at ole miss.

Tua had no connection to Alabama other than to play football there but his brother DID go to play there and has now transferred. Eli DID go to Ole Miss... So what else you got?

My point was those were two sets of brothers who decided to play at different schools. I could site many more examples. how about the mom who was an All American at Purdue, but her son went elsewhere? And Big Dog's son played basketball at where? that evil place north of Purdue? Rick Mount's son followed him to Purdue which was a disaster. Allstott's son also followed him which was also a disaster. Deirking's son followed him. how did that work out?

I only used 2 examples because people always complain my posts are too lengthy. but if you like, I can do some research and make my reply 20 pages long of brothers who played elsewhere and also sons who didn't follow the path of their parents.

Where did Walton and Jordon's son play ? unlike Jordon's son, Luke Walton was actually a decent player.

all three of the Golics went to Notre Dame.

Ultimately, it's Yanni's choice. and I believe his parents are mature enough to tell him it's his decision, and they will support it.

My point was those were two sets of brothers who decided to play at different schools. I could site many more examples. how about the mom who was an All American at Purdue, but her son went elsewhere? And Big Dog's son played basketball at where? that evil place north of Purdue? Rick Mount's son followed him to Purdue which was a disaster. Allstott's son also followed him which was also a disaster. Deirking's son followed him. how did that work out?

I only used 2 examples because people always complain my posts are too lengthy. but if you like, I can do some research and make my reply 20 pages long of brothers who played elsewhere and also sons who didn't follow the path of their parents.

Where did Walton and Jordon's son play ? unlike Jordon's son, Luke Walton was actually a decent player.

all three of the Golics went to Notre Dame.

Ultimately, it's Yanni's choice. and I believe his parents are mature enough to tell him it's his decision, and they will support it.

Many of those don't live basically on campus, have family ties to the school and family ties to the community. Des was basically saying the Karlaftis family is closely tied to Purdue and West Lafayette, far more so than most other brothers/sons that choose to play elsewhere.

Many of those don't live basically on campus, have family ties to the school and family ties to the community. Des was basically saying the Karlaftis family is closely tied to Purdue and West Lafayette, far more so than most other brothers/sons that choose to play elsewhere.

As I said, I provided just a very few examples without even doing much research.

Where did Bob Greise's son go to college? Just curious.

Will you assume all of Drew Brees' children will be attending Purdue?

As I said, I provided just a very few examples without even doing much research.

Where did Bob Greise's son go to college? Just curious.

Will you assume all of Drew Brees' children will be attending Purdue?

Now you are just trolling.

Reactions: Purdue85
Now you are just trolling.

you asked for more examples. I was just following your orders.

you made the point that I provided very few examples to back up my point. So I'm providing more evidence to make my case stronger. there are a lot of people with strong ties to purdue and their children went elsewhere. that is also true for many other colleges. and also true for many students who are not athletes.

Did Charlton Heston's kids all go to Northwestern? What about Wooden's children? or Jabbar? or Shaq?

I brought up Mannings' children. it was a clear example. But you dissed it and wanted more. So I provided you more, and rather than accepting the additional evidence, now you say i'm just trolling.

all i'm doing is providing more evidence to support my original point/post.

and as i warned, i could provide you a brief example of two brothers who went to different schools, or a 25 page essay of examples. which do you prefer? my simple example using the mannings? or would prefer i provide you additional examples? Make up your mind.

and yes, Purdue did actually recruit Brian Greise. he chose Michigan with his father's blessing and support.

I love how when you can't argue my point, you revert to name calling.

you made the point that I provided very few examples to back up my point. So I'm providing more evidence to make my case stronger. there are a lot of people with strong ties to purdue and their children went elsewhere. that is also true for many other colleges. and also true for many students who are not athletes.

Did Charlton Heston's kids all go to Northwestern? What about Wooden's children? or Jabbar? or Shaq?

I brought up Mannings' children. it was a clear example. But you dissed it and wanted more. So I provided you more, and rather than accepting the additional evidence, now you say i'm just trolling.

and as i warned, i could provide you a brief example of two brothers who went to different schools, or a 25 page essay of examples. which do you prefer? my simple example using the mannings? or would prefer i provide you additional examples? Make up your mind.

and yes, Purdue did actually recruit Brian Greise. he chose Michigan with his father's blessing and support.

k. Gary Harris was offered late by Painter and offended by the timing.
Robinson was a borderline MAC player when michigan secured his verbal then he blew up. Painter hadnt offered at the time he verbaled.

Not even remotely similar. Next?

I didn't say give more examples, I was merely pointing out the examples you gave were incorrect to begin with. My initial point that the Karlaftis family isn't your run of the mill, my dad/brother/mother went here I guess I will too. They are an active part of the school and community.

Your insistence on reading what you wanted from my posts and not what I actually wrote led to you being called a troll.

k. Gary Harris was offered late by Painter and offended by the timing.
Robinson was a borderline MAC player when michigan secured his verbal then he blew up. Painter hadnt offered at the time he verbaled.

Not even remotely similar. Next?
Cole Kmet? I mean, he’s not from West Lafayette and the Haze never even offered him, but still.

I didn't say give more examples, I was merely pointing out the examples you gave were incorrect to begin with. My initial point that the Karlaftis family isn't your run of the mill, my dad/brother/mother went here I guess I will too. They are an active part of the school and community.

Your insistence on reading what you wanted from my posts and not what I actually wrote led to you being called a troll.

Hausta - that wasn't your initial point. it was Stewart's point. and it still doesn't justify your name calling.

your initial post simply agreed with Stewart and asked me if I had any more examples. Can I quote you? "So what else you got?"

I could make a very very long list . if you don't like my first examples, I could provide more. and the examples you couldn't refute, you basically ignored. There are plenty more examples I could have provided. What was wrong with the Manning example? You didn't like the potential implications? So you basically threw it out as non-applicable?

At least NAT tried to use some facts.

I have to believe Bob Rohrman, Neil Armstrong, and Orville Reddenbacker all have very strong ties to Purdue. Did all of their children go to Purdue ? look it up.

and that's the simple point I made. just because a parent has strong ties to a university does not mean ALL of their children will follow that same path. Some do, but many don't. I believe you are making a very bad assumption that Yanni is a given to attend Purdue. and if he does choose Purdue, I believe (as Purdue 85 likes to say) it will be HIS decision, and not one made for him by his brother or his parents or Purdue's coach or West Lafayette or posts made here.. and I believe his mom and her best friend will understand and also embrace his decision. .

that's my point. I believe I've provided enough examples to prove and also support that point.

legacies are nice, but they are NOT a given.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
It is duly noted that destewart wisely abandoned this thread, and any attempt at a logical exchange...

Stewart was the guy who asked if we knew who Yanni's mom's best friend was.

hausta asked me to provide more examples, so I did. he didn't like the implications of my examples so he reverted to name calling, so I provided additional examples which he also didn't like. so I provided more examples.

I would have thought the original example of using the manning family would have been sufficient to prove my point. You have a father and three sons. the father had very strong ties at Mississippi. two sons followed him. One son did not.

Boom case and point made.

just because a parent has strong ties to a University does not mean all of their children wil l follow that same path. they may. they may not. I would hate to be a person whose parents forced me to go to a school just because they did and it's expected(Mount, Allstott) . That's a roadmap destined for failure. I applaud Brian Greise's decision to go to Michigan. My hope is that Yanni is allowed to make his OWN decision. I hope that decision is to attend Purdue. But I would never want it forced on him to meet others' expectations. and I'll be the first to respect the decision he makes.

Stewart was the guy who asked if we knew who Yanni's mom's best friend was.

hausta asked me to provide more examples, so I did. he didn't like the implications of my examples so he reverted to name calling, so I provided additional examples which he also didn't like. so I provided more examples.

I would have thought the original example of using the manning family would have been sufficient to prove my point. You have a father and three sons. the father had very strong ties at Mississippi. two sons followed him. One son did not.

Boom case and point made.

just because a parent has strong ties to a University does not mean all of their children wil l follow that same path. they may. they may not. I would hate to be a person whose parents forced me to go to a school just because they did and it's expected(Mount, Allstott) . That's a roadmap destined for failure. I applaud Brian Greise's decision to go to Michigan. My hope is that Yanni is allowed to make his OWN decision. I hope that decision is to attend Purdue. But I would never want it forced on him to meet others' expectations. and I'll be the first to respect the decision he makes.

To be clear, nobody knows what college Yanni will choose. It will be what it will be, bro. (A little Trevion reference for you.)

For accuracy, it was destewart. DEstewart. Been around the forums/fora only slightly longer than I (OGFP and Rivals). And, while I occasionally disagree with him, he is rarely disagreeable and one of the best all-arounds you can find on algore's interwebs.

His point was clear, and 100% accurate. As he wrote: "The Karlaftis brothers are not your ordinary legacies. Nor are their ties to Purdue the typical legacy ties." That is absolutely true, and will weigh heavily on his decision.

I know who destewart is and I know his ties to the area. Instead of a knee-jerk reaction to be disagreeable, and engage in a search for random examples to the contrary, you might want to engage him and hear him out. You might learn something.

"Boom", indeed.

For fear of being drug into this ....Wole, I think this is where you lost people. You state that “ although Archie owned Ole Miss, his son(S) decided to play elsewhere” ( paraphrased) . Only 1 of them did. The other two DID FOLLOW DAD. Secondly you state “ Tua’s brother didn’t follow him..” Wrong again! He DID follow him. And had Mac Jones not had a decent year and Bama also landing a huge QB recruit, he still would be there. He left because he was over recruited. Ok.... I’m out .... don’t @ me! Respect my decision. Blessed. Whatever I need to say to get off this thread now!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dakota Girl
This thread is giving me a headache. I'd like to know who Mrs. Karlaftis' best friend is, but des is probably long gone.

Wole: stop trying to pigeon-hole everything. There are no absolutes and there are many different types of situations. No one, I mean NO ONE, has said that Yanni is absolutely coming to Purdue. Let me repeat, no one! Yet you said, "I believe you are making a very bad assumption that Yanni is a given to attend Purdue." No one has done that. Not destewart, not Nat, not Hausta. None of them are stupid enough to do that.

Yes, there are lots of examples of kids not going where their parents did. Good for you, you came up with a few. Wasn't hard. But how many of those situations are the same as the Karlaftis one? Zero, because no situation is the same as another. Yeah Archie went to Ole Miss, but his kids grew up in New Orleans! Brian Griese didn't grow up in Indiana AFAIK. You heard reasons why other kids didn't go to their parents' alma maters. None of them really matter. The point was that the ties that the family has to Purdue are different than other situations, and it would make people think that there's a reasonable chance that Yanni will commit to Purdue.

Just stop.

I wasn't disagreeing with Des. I was disagreeing with Hausta. he asked for more examples, so I provided some.

and I simply stated just because his parents seem to be intertwined with Purdue and the community and his mom is best friends with somebody that it shouldn't be a given Yanni would choose to go to Purdue. there are many children who do not follow their parent's path.

two years ago Yanni was supposedly leaning to Michigan - primarily because of one of their coaches. When that coach left Michigan, so did Yanni's interest. To me, UW would be a perfect fit for Yanni. it's a good school academically, a nice campus, a winning team, and they've produced a few NFL linebackers in the past decade.

maybe I should have just said. Don't count your chickens before they are hatched.

I wasn't disagreeing with Des. I was disagreeing with Hausta. he asked for more examples, so I provided some.

and I simply stated just because his parents seem to be intertwined with Purdue and the community and his mom is best friends with somebody that it shouldn't be a given Yanni would choose to go to Purdue. there are many children who do not follow their parent's path.

two years ago Yanni was supposedly leaning to Michigan - primarily because of one of their coaches. When that coach left Michigan, so did Yanni's interest. To me, UW would be a perfect fit for Yanni. it's a good school academically, a nice campus, a winning team, and they've produced a few NFL linebackers in the past decade.

maybe I should have just said. Don't count your chickens before they are hatched.

But then you couldn't reference winning, as if you are the only person who wants to win, Wisconsin, and facts that aren't real facts

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT