ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin v. Purdue Game Thread

Are you watching this game? We can’t stop guys inside. We can’t box out. We aren’t getting offensive rebounds. That’s not guard play. Nobody was boxing out. I accept that Ivey is part of this issue.
I watched the game and I saw one guard out score our 6 guards. Our hardest worker in the paint is Gillis and painter sat him for extended minutes so that is on coach.

So I think it's pretty obvious Hunter is atrocious on offense and Thompson outside of hitting open 3s provides very little. On top of that Newman has been in a funk of funks.

So what do we do moving forward?
Newman is the key. Only only one quick and big enough. IT, Sasha, Morton, Hunter just can't keep up. Painter seems to have lost faith in Newman so we will struggle against good guards. I guess that Painter thinks maybe IT and Sasha will just out shoot them. Not working against decent teams. Why Gillis is sitting I don't have a clue.

PROPHETIC:

Matt Painter said:
who's going to be (more) physical, who's going to play the hardest, who's going to execute the best, who's going to get the 50/50 balls? That's who's really going to win the day when it comes to Big Ten play."

Reactions: tjreese
PROPHETIC:

Matt Painter said:
who's going to be (more) physical, who's going to play the hardest, who's going to execute the best, who's going to get the 50/50 balls? That's who's really going to win the day when it comes to Big Ten play."
correct, we got out hustled and out toughed all nite.

Newman is the key. Only only one quick and big enough. IT, Sasha, Morton, Hunter just can't keep up. Painter seems to have lost faith in Newman so we will struggle against good guards. I guess that Painter thinks maybe IT and Sasha will just out shoot them. Not working against decent teams. Why Gillis is sitting I don't have a clue.
After last year, my feeling was Newman needs to be our X factor to be a great team. I think a lot of others felt this way as well. Unfortunately, for whatever reason (confidence?) he's been stuck in low gear.

why Sasha?
The only thing Sasha does really well is an occasional extremely hot night of shooting at home - usually against an opponent that we don't really need that hot shooting against.. In all other areas, I think I'd rather see Morton (especially since Morton seems to be developing by leaps and bounds). Morton seems to be a pretty good shooter, he either just doesn't yet have the confidence or the full green light from Painter that Sasha has, not sure which, but it may be coming. I don't think it's a contest between Sasha and anyone else on the list.

The only thing Sasha does really well is an occasional extremely hot night of shooting at home - usually against an opponent that we don't really need that hot shooting against.. In all other areas, I think I'd rather see Morton (especially since Morton seems to be developing by leaps and bounds). Morton seems to be a pretty good shooter, he either just doesn't yet have the confidence or the full green light from Painter that Sasha has, not sure which, but it may be coming. I don't think it's a contest between Sasha and anyone else on the list.
Sasha probably wouldn't be getting the mins he does if Newman was coming along.

I'd rather see Morton start over IT with the assumption Morton continues to improve and becomes more involved in the offense ie not afraid to shoot or drive to the hoop. IT is very good at the wide open 3s, but if he's not getting those looks its like we only have 4 guys out there.

One thing I feel confident saying is it was obvious who the best player was. And it wasn’t close. Quite a performance.

Reactions: drewjin
Still fully believe - we are a top 20 team, not top 5.

Good team that got a great start to the season. Now we see the real style of the team.

I see a lot of talk about Newman needing to step it up, but he barely saw the floor tonight and it seems like he gets a quick hook. Not sure how he’s going to step up without getting meaningful minutes and a chance to really get some run in a lineup that gives him the chance. I know he’s missed some open looks but at this point, Hunter is a senior and appears to have regressed while Newman can still grow into his role. I don’t understand him not getting more minutes.

I see a lot of talk about Newman needing to step it up, but he barely saw the floor tonight and it seems like he gets a quick hook. Not sure how he’s going to step up without getting meaningful minutes and a chance to really get some run in a lineup that gives him the chance. I know he’s missed some open looks but at this point, Hunter is a senior and appears to have regressed while Newman can still grow into his role. I don’t understand him not getting more minutes.
Agree. Its odd to me Hunter gets to play and Newman gets the short leash.

I don’t disagree. Those things are also problematic. But, the larger issue is that Purdue has to play guys like Thompson and Hunter big minutes, who are incapable of creating for themselves or others. They will be the reason why Purdue exits early from the tourney.
Purdue is a good team, but they’re overrated and fatally flawed.
Careful…you’re about to be jumped on for saying that our guards are no good (other than Ivey).
I’ve been saying this for 2 years about IT and Hunter. I said Painter needs to upgrade through the portal, etc.
Lil Andy, BBQ, 85, and others get very upset when this is discussed. They think IT and Hunter are just fine.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
When Sasha's outside shot isn't falling he doesn't really have anything else in his game to help out
Disagree. Yes, he needs to hit 3s and he missed some wide open shots, but he at least sometimes looks to penetrate. IT and Hunter don’t ever (nor can they. Small, skinny, Unathletic).

Careful…you’re about to be jumped on for saying that our guards are no good (other than Ivey).
I’ve been saying this for 2 years about IT and Hunter. I said Painter needs to upgrade through the portal, etc.
Lil Andy, BBQ, 85, and others get very upset when this is discussed. They think IT and Hunter are just fine.
They didn't lose us the the game last night. Our paint production, or lack thereof, is what got us. The first have we had very few points in the paint and got outrebounded. That is where we lost this game. Period.

Painter hinted as much and I guarantee he knows more than any of us.

They didn't lose us the the game last night. Our paint production, or lack thereof, is what got us. The first have we had very few points in the paint and got outrebounded. That is where we lost this game. Period.

Wisconsin guards had 19 of their 34 rebounds, 14 by Davis alone to go with his 37 points. How about putting a body on that guy and not losing track of him when a shot goes up? Vogt, Crowl, and Wahl combined for 9. And the put backs they got were because our guards (as usual) can’t stop people from penetrating the lane and when the bigs come to challenge the shot, no one blocks out. Their help defense was basically non existent and had Wisconsin hit some of their early open looks given up by our famous perimeter defense, they’d have blown out Purdue.

Reactions: Boiler8285

Hunter and IT played a combined 40 minutes, had combined 2 pts and 3 TOs. But, it's not just their lack of production on the stat sheet, it's their inability to do anything else offensively that causes problems for the defense.
When a player isn't a threat on offense, he's very easy to defend. The only threat from IT and EH is a wide open 3, other than that, they bring zero offensively. It can be argued we were better with Eastern because even though he couldn't shoot, he could penetrate, rebound and defend.

Hunter and IT played a combined 40 minutes, had combined 2 pts and 3 TOs. But, it's not just their lack of production on the stat sheet, it's their inability to do anything else offensively that causes problems for the defense.
When a player isn't a threat on offense, he's very easy to defend. The only threat from IT and EH is a wide open 3, other than that, they bring zero offensively. It can be argued we were better with Eastern because even though he couldn't shoot, he could penetrate, rebound and defend.
We shot 30% as a team in the first half and were out rebounded by an outmatched team. Again, that is where we lost this game. IT has single handedly won us games that you like to forget because it nukes your argument for your internet points.

We shot 30% as a team in the first half and were out rebounded by an outmatched team. Again, that is where we lost this game. IT has single handedly won us games that you like to forget because it nukes your argument for your internet points.
IT would be a bench player on every other team in the league other than a couple bottom feeders.

Candidly, Sasha Stefanovic had a rough night - seemed out of sorts, and I'm not sure why. This team just needs to dig deep - you've got your adversity - how do you respond - it could make them better - or it could become a big issue.....we shall see....don't know right now which way it goes. Too many mental errors tonight, IMO.
So what I wrote at halftime in my haste https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/wisconsin-v-purdue-game-thread.223297/page-4#post-3289693
"Look for Purdue to have patience in feeding the posts to see if they can score or get fouls on their bigs...patience will help the three ball as well.

A few long defensive boards and Purdue will have Jaden in transition. Get on the same page, embrace the grit and Amp up the physical play a bit."

As far as digging deep, this group of players even last year had many dry spots and then make a huge run and generally win. I'm not sure that the players don't get too emotionally high after a win. They don't embrace the grit in a game or enter the game deciding that they control what they do on offense and that they will be in war for 40 minutes. I read last night that someone blamed the loss on Purdue having an "inefficient" offense (having those 7 footers) and I had to read it a couple of times to make sure my eyes were not deceiving me. Can you imagine the game without Zach? Then there were posts wanting to see Jaden with the ball, but as talented as he is his game last night left much to be desired.

The way I see it, Purdue controls everything, but they must to a man truly understand that anyone can beat them if they don't bring their "A" game. Gene made a living with physical D and it is the same D that hurts Purdue. A physical game is NOT a pretty game, but if the refs are letting some play go, you must match that physical play which in my halftime comments I thought Purdue would. These are kids, but if they want to maximize their growth it only comes from successful battling adversity and THAT starts with a mindset of toughness which this team doesn't have at this time. Some game yes, others not...just enough talent that typically it isn't an issue. I really thought the last five minutes we would see an attempt to do whatever was neccessary to keep Davis from getting the ball...even if switching left a mismatch, but we didn't see that. Not to blame Ethan at all but in the long 2 Davis hit I'm looking at the screen (under the weather and so I gave my tickets to my nephew) and I see Ethan in the lane to help and at the top of the screen was Davis and when Davis got the ball it was too far for Ethan to cover. I wanted someone other than Davis to beat Purdue if that was to be and so I wasn't too thrilled with normal D on Davis.

Anyway, Purdue controls its future but if it doesn't embrace the desire on D, the physical play overall with every team it plays, a physical D in the half court it could be a long night. The fact that Purdue played so poorly and still would win without Davis having a career game says a lot about the potential of Purdue. Purdue perimeter players looked silly with Wisconsin being in their jocks on catches, shooting shots when the feet were not set...just to get it up there.

There is more I could type, but most of us know the team let the team down by NOT doing the things they control... Almost all the time you will win the Big with two losses and generally three loses, but there are PLENTY of tough games to go and Purdue hasn't any room for error. Again, not blaming Ethan, but in the video I was discussing look where Ethan is. Zach is on the baseline side defending the post...if YOU are going to help Zach then get high, not low. Get on the other side of the post to prevent that pass and also be high enough that now you "might" cover Davis...even though I didn't want any help on the post at this time of the game..@ .03 you will see what I mention

Last edited:
Reactions: BBG and TX4GB
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT