ADVERTISEMENT

Why talk about a coaching change

Apr 1, 2008
Why would we speak of a coaching change as long as Burke is AD? I am not a Burke hater, he has been a good soldier for Purdue. There have been times he has fallen on his sword for PU, ie Lin Dunn. However, he should not be the one to make the next hire. He has failed on every FB hire he has made. Before you bring up Tiller, remember that was his third choice behind Davies, and Mason, both who failed miserably. I can't even hate on Coach Hazel, but it is clear he can not recruit. It would seem that would have been a strong suit. If can can coach or not, is irrelevant, no players no coach. My personal opinion is unfortunately,
Hope was a better coach than Hazel. No I don't want Hope back, it's just I think he would get more out of this team than what we see now.

I don't blame Burke too much for selecting Hazell - I thought it was a good hire and did not expect it to go as horribly wrong as it has. I'm more disappointed with the contract he negotiated. The money should not have been guaranteed for 6 years. There should have been some metric in there that needed to be met at the end of the 3rd season for the second half of the contract to be guaranteed - a minimum number of wins for the first 3 seasons, for example.

I don't blame Burke too much for selecting Hazell - I thought it was a good hire and did not expect it to go as horribly wrong as it has. I'm more disappointed with the contract he negotiated. The money should not have been guaranteed for 6 years. There should have been some metric in there that needed to be met at the end of the 3rd season for the second half of the contract to be guaranteed - a minimum number of wins for the first 3 seasons, for example.

No coach with any FBS head coaching experience would even entertain that offer.

That's just the market. Purdue is getting fisted by the market terms that were in place in 2012-13 when they hired their coach. Also, no offense...but Purdue is a tough tough job to get coaches to want to come to vs. other P5 schools. Why shouldn't Purdue have to pay more to get what seems like a decent coach? Recruiting to Purdue would give me a lifetime of ulcers im pretty sure.

No coach with any FBS head coaching experience would even entertain that offer.

That's just the market. Purdue is getting fisted by the market terms that were in place in 2012-13 when they hired their coach. Also, no offense...but Purdue is a tough tough job to get coaches to want to come to vs. other P5 schools. Why shouldn't Purdue have to pay more to get what seems like a decent coach? Recruiting to Purdue would give me a lifetime of ulcers im pretty sure.

Purdue being a tough place to coach is a cultural thing , at least it is significantly.

The conservative Purdue approach obviously doesn't work.

Someone adept in college football and academic success needs to independently evaluate Purdue athletics and find real solutions.

I don't think that we're talking total tear down and rebuild.

Thoughtful and effective change that is targeted with specific results in mind.

Purdue being a tough place to coach is a cultural thing , at least it is significantly.

The conservative Purdue approach obviously doesn't work.

Someone adept in college football and academic success needs to independently evaluate Purdue athletics and find real solutions.

I don't think that we're talking total tear down and rebuild.

Thoughtful and effective change that is targeted with specific results in mind.

Except outside of a short period in the 60s, Purdue has always been a tough place to recruit to. 2nd (or even 3rd now) football school in a relatively talent poor state and even region. Purdue has to do well in Ohio, Chicago, Pennsylvania and compete in Iowa, Michigan, Kentucky and even others. We haven't done that since Tiller left....and really even since like 2005 or 2006.

We need a guy who can do that AND be a good Xs and Os coach. We currently have a guy who is none of that. Getting a guy who does 1 of those well gets us to 6-6. Getting a guy who can do both can make us competitive at a higher level.

Except outside of a short period in the 60s, Purdue has always been a tough place to recruit to. 2nd (or even 3rd now) football school in a relatively talent poor state and even region. Purdue has to do well in Ohio, Chicago, Pennsylvania and compete in Iowa, Michigan, Kentucky and even others. We haven't done that since Tiller left....and really even since like 2005 or 2006.

We need a guy who can do that AND be a good Xs and Os coach. We currently have a guy who is none of that. Getting a guy who does 1 of those well gets us to 6-6. Getting a guy who can do both can make us competitive at a higher level.

Disagree, the mid-late 60s was not the only period of football recruiting success for Purdue. Holcomb had a pipeline to Ohio and Mollenkoph built on it using his Toledo ties. DeMoss and Agase recruited well despite their lack of success in terms of Ws and Ls. Young recruited very well and Burtnett did pretty well also.

The real recruiting challenges came with Colletto and his "3-yards and a cloud of dust, run first, OSU offense." And now we have another "OSU" legacy who can't recruit to Purdue, a program known for throwing it -- go figure. Had we hired Dino Babers, instead, I bet he'd be recruiting competitively to Purdue right now.

IMO, Tiller would have broken through to compete more effectively for more top talent if MB had come through with competitive facilities and salaries for assistants. (That was certainly Tiller's view if you read between the lines of his book.) Purdue was and is never going to out recruit OSU, PSU, or UM, but in the past we have competed effectively at the second tier in the conference, with MSU, Wisconsin, etc. And we could again if the administration made a commitment to competitive facilities and salaries. Problem is -- now that we've lost it -- money and facilities, alone, won't get it back.

This is the frustrating shame of it all -- we had it going under Tiller but wouldn't spend what it took to keep it going. So now we're spending way more to try to restart it with no guarantees it will ever work. That's what the BOT's and MB's version of "financial responsibility" gets you. Failing to invest to maintain and build wasn't actually "prudent," it was irresponsible!

Disagree, the mid-late 60s was not the only period of football recruiting success for Purdue. Holcomb had a pipeline to Ohio and Mollenkoph built on it using his Toledo ties. DeMoss and Agase recruited well despite their lack of success in terms of Ws and Ls. Young recruited very well and Burtnett did pretty well also.

The real recruiting challenges came with Colletto and his "3-yards and a cloud of dust, run first, OSU offense." And now we have another "OSU" legacy who can't recruit to Purdue, a program known for throwing it -- go figure. Had we hired Dino Babers, instead, I bet he'd be recruiting competitively to Purdue right now.

IMO, Tiller would have broken through to compete more effectively for more top talent if MB had come through with competitive facilities and salaries for assistants. (That was certainly Tiller's view if you read between the lines of his book.) Purdue was and is never going to out recruit OSU, PSU, or UM, but in the past we have competed effectively at the second tier in the conference, with MSU, Wisconsin, etc. And we could again if the administration made a commitment to competitive facilities and salaries. Problem is -- now that we've lost it -- money and facilities, alone, won't get it back.

This is the frustrating shame of it all -- we had it going under Tiller but wouldn't spend what it took to keep it going. So now we're spending way more to try to restart it with no guarantees it will ever work. That's what the BOT's and MB's version of "financial responsibility" gets you. Failing to invest to maintain and build wasn't actually "prudent," it was irresponsible!
we need to recruit a lot better. After watching the osu-psu game, the Bucks offense was really vanilla, lots of runs, short passes (many horizontal), qb keepers and draws. They just have superior athletes compared to us.

Reactions: Boiler Mope
we need to recruit a lot better. After watching the osu-psu game, the Bucks offense was really vanilla, lots of runs, short passes (many horizontal), qb keepers and draws. They just have superior athletes compared to us.

Of course they do, and they always will. That was Tiller's point -- you can't beat 'em at their own game. You've got to be innovative and creative to have a chance. I have no doubt OSU would bury Baylor if the latter lined up and tried to beat the Buckeyes playing "Tressel ball."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT