ADVERTISEMENT

Where does Purdue sit with Rob Phinesse?

I remember when Rick Mount and Bruce Parkinson's sons were must gets. We had to have the legends' son. Neither player worked out very well.

Last edited:
I think we are all being trolled. It's the only logical explanation I can come up with for his posts. Time to let this thread die and if anything new comes out on Phinisee, start up a new one. My ignore list has gained a member today.

I like Hunter but I wouldn't be disappointed if we got Carmody. He seems fast and athletic enough. I don't understand where this "slow-footed" criticism comes from.
He's WHITE. The only reason for the criticism. In many cases this is true but he is a 4 Star Top 100 guy and the experts are rarely wrong. I'd absolutely love to have a better version of Dakota, as a few say about him (if there is such a thing). I personally like having a mixed racial team like Gonzaga. Basketball is not all about dunking and high flying. I remember Herb Robinson could fly like nobody's business and Roy Hairston also. Unfortunately, they were very sub par bball players...

I remember when Rick Mount and Bruce Parkinson's sons were must gets. We had to have the legends' son. Neither player worked out very well.
I was at Purdue when we'd only offer a walkon to Rick's son. Think his name was Richie and that is one reason that Rick cut off Purdue for many years. He never came to Purdue to play... Legacy's are only good at Animal House... :D

Hoover: Kent is a legacy, Otter. His brother was a ’59, Fred Dorfman.
Flounder: He said legacies usually get asked to pledge automatically.
Otter: Oh, well, usually. Unless the pledge in question turns out to be a real closet-case.
Otter, Boon: Like Fred.

He's WHITE. The only reason for the criticism. In many cases this is true but he is a 4 Star Top 100 guy and the experts are rarely wrong. I'd absolutely love to have a better version of Dakota, as a few say about him (if there is such a thing). I personally like having a mixed racial team like Gonzaga. Basketball is not all about dunking and high flying. I remember Herb Robinson could fly like nobody's business and Roy Hairston also. Unfortunately, they were very sub par bball players...
Carmody is in no way, shape, or form a "better Dakota." Whoever is telling you that does not know basketball and you should cease taking their analysis

Reactions: BoiledSteel
I think we are all being trolled. It's the only logical explanation I can come up with for his posts. Time to let this thread die and if anything new comes out on Phinisee, start up a new one. My ignore list has gained a member today.

Tagging someone as a Troll is an excuse to lose and save face. I can only repeat so many times the reasons I'm standing by my position. You just can't get over it. I've also repeated time and time and time again that I'm fine with your position, but you damn and determined to try to change my mind. Look, I've thought this over and I'm saying he's got to land this kid.

Wait, was either of those kids the top target in the state at their positions? Were they #1 in Indiana? Nope. False equivalency.

Tagging someone as a Troll is an excuse to lose and save face. I can only repeat so many times the reasons I'm standing by my position. You just can't get over it. I've also repeated time and time and time again that I'm fine with your position, but you damn and determined to try to change my mind. Look, I've thought this over and I'm saying he's got to land this kid.
You are literally the only person that thinks that.

Phinisee is a nice recruit. But that really isnt likely to happen, and thats ok because we are after better players than him.

Carmody is in no way, shape, or form a "better Dakota." Whoever is telling you that does not know basketball and you should cease taking their analysis

Carmody is more athletic than Dakota and it isn't close. Carmody can drive and finish with both hands, which makes him difficult to guard. Carmody can also shoot (although I am not sure he is quite the shooter that Dakota is, but Dakota has improved a lot at shooting, it would be silly to think it is impossible for Carmody to also improve in that aspect. Same goes for his defense.) Carmody is not a shoot first player, he likes to drive and is much quicker and more athletic than Dakota. But, they are both similar in size. I wouldn't call him a better Dakota, but he is more athletic for sure. If he improves the same Dakota did, Carmody will be a better player with a lot of the same tools, but better athleticism and ability to attack the basket. Only time will tell and it would not be fair to compare an incoming 2018 freshman to a current Junior in college. If you compare freshman Dakota to freshman Carmody, Carmody is further along in every way accept arguably shooting, with similar size and versatility.

You are literally the only person that thinks that.

Phinisee is a nice recruit. But that really isnt likely to happen, and thats ok because we are after better players than him.

No way you can prove that I am "Literally" the only person that thinks that. He's the #1 PG in the state and right here. That's just another tangent. I get it, I'm the only guy right here saying it. And, I'm fine with it. Trust me, I'm good. Because he's a must get. LOL.

Carmody is more athletic than Dakota and it isn't close. Carmody can drive and finish with both hands, which makes him difficult to guard. Carmody can also shoot (although I am not sure he is quite the shooter that Dakota is, but Dakota has improved a lot at shooting, it would be silly to think it is impossible for Carmody to also improve in that aspect. Same goes for his defense.) Carmody is not a shoot first player, he likes to drive and is much quicker and more athletic than Dakota. But, they are both similar in size. I wouldn't call him a better Dakota, but he is more athletic for sure. If he improves the same Dakota did, Carmody will be a better player with a lot of the same tools, but better athleticism and ability to attack the basket. Only time will tell and it would not be fair to compare an incoming 2018 freshman to a current Junior in college. If you compare freshman Dakota to freshman Carmody, Carmody is further along in every way accept arguably shooting, with similar size and versatility.
Apart from being 6'4" white kids, they have literally nothing in common

No way you can prove that I am "Literally" the only person that thinks that. He's the #1 PG in the state and right here. That's just another tangent. I get it, I'm the only guy right here saying it. And, I'm fine with it. Trust me, I'm good. Because he's a must get. LOL.
He's not a must get. I'd take a lot of players over him and Purdue would be better for it.

He's not interested much in Purdue. That's ok. Just another in a long list. We will get others, they will do great, Purdue will go on.

Phinisee isn't going to be the kid to win us a championship. Not even close.

He's not a must get. I'd take a lot of players over him and Purdue would be better for it.

He's not interested much in Purdue. That's ok. Just another in a long list. We will get others, they will do great, Purdue will go on.

Phinisee isn't going to be the kid to win us a championship. Not even close.

He is a must get. You'd take a lot of players over him....ok. You have no idea if Purdue will be better for it. You think that, which is fine. I think we can't let him get away.

Prove he's not interested in Purdue. And, if you do, which you won't, we have problem.

Saying he won't be the kid to win us a Championship isn't very bold, if you mean NC. But, ok. In all likelihood no player Painter does land will either. Not even close. So, there is that.

He is a must get. You'd take a lot of players over him....ok. You have no idea if Purdue will be better for it. You think that, which is fine. I think we can't let him get away.

Prove he's not interested in Purdue. And, if you do, which you won't, we have problem.

Saying he won't be the kid to win us a Championship isn't very bold, if you mean NC. But, ok. In all likelihood no player Painter does land will either. Not even close. So, there is that.
Explain to me how I would prove it and I'll do my best, but judging off of how you don't seem to do well with what you don't want to hear, I'm guessing you aren't going to believe anything I tell you anyway.

Also, join the paying board. Your stance is one of ignorance it seems and the paying board offers a lot more information.

Apart from being 6'4" white kids, they have literally nothing in common
I'm interested in the comparison since I admit I don't know...and by comparison I mean as high school recruits. Compare and contrast strengths and weaknesses. The more insight I can get into players, the more I can see the pieces in how they "might" go together with a "better" hunch

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Explain to me how I would prove it and I'll do my best, but judging off of how you don't seem to do well with what you don't want to hear, I'm guessing you aren't going to believe anything I tell you anyway.

Also, join the paying board. Your stance is one of ignorance it seems and the paying board offers a lot more information.

I can prove you wrong. This guy agrees with me.
http://www.hammerandrails.com/2017/...basketball-recruiting-robert-phinisee-profile
I'm guessing you'll be like everyone else a deflect from the fact I brought you someone who agrees with me and attack his credibility? Also, go back to the paying board. You ignorance is getting the best of you. I'm pretty good at forming my own thoughts and don't need to have others confirm with bias. It's amazing how just having a opinion can bring out the petty in folks.

I can prove you wrong. This guy agrees with me.
http://www.hammerandrails.com/2017/...basketball-recruiting-robert-phinisee-profile
I'm guessing you'll be like everyone else a deflect from the fact I brought you someone who agrees with me and attack his credibility? Also, go back to the paying board. You ignorance is getting the best of you. I'm pretty good at forming my own thoughts and don't need to have others confirm with bias. It's amazing how just having a opinion can bring out the petty in folks.
You poor poor soul.

LOL! I'm not the guy pissed off because someone has an opinion I disagree with. That dog won't hunt. I proved that "Literally" someone agrees with me. I guess that just makes you more pissed. Whatever.
To be fair. You seem pretty pissed off. You also seem to be refuting yourself quite a bit in this thread.

To be fair. You seem pretty pissed off. You also seem to be refuting yourself quite a bit in this thread.

Yeah, remember when I called someone a troll? Said I'd ignore them? Yeah, me either. I'm just repeating my position. Over and over and over. LOL. Now, I'm pissed? Ha! Ok.

LOL! I'm not the guy pissed off because someone has an opinion I disagree with. That dog won't hunt. I proved that "Literally" someone agrees with me. I guess that just makes you more pissed. Whatever.
I'm pissed? News to me.

Maybe take a step back.

Purdue is not likely to land Phinisee. If you were more informed, you'd know that.

That is not going to end the program. Again, Phinisee is nice but he's nothing special. Not even top 5 in the state.

I'm pissed? News to me.

Maybe take a step back.

Purdue is not likely to land Phinisee. If you were more informed, you'd know that.

That is not going to end the program. Again, Phinisee is nice but he's nothing special. Not even top 5 in the state.

You're not pissed? Not, that I want you pissed...but.. why the perpetual garbage responses? Not just you, but all this bs and uproar just because apparently I've made a great case for my position that everyone seems to just want to bitch. I'm a pour soul....LOL. Now, we're back to you're just so more informed. I'm a troll. Ignore me. I'm a poor soul. All because I think the #1 PG in the state, living in the same town, who's brother already attends Purdue, should absolutely be landed? Explain that?

You're not pissed? Not, that I want you pissed...but.. why the perpetual garbage responses? Not just you, but all this bs and uproar just because apparently I've made a great case for my position that everyone seems to just want to bitch. I'm a pour soul....LOL. Now, we're back to you're just so more informed. I'm a troll. Ignore me. I'm a poor soul. All because I think the #1 PG in the state, living in the same town, who's brother already attends Purdue, should absolutely be landed? Explain that?
That stance is fine.

Purdue should land the states top talent. It's disappointing it doesn't. This isn't new.

But this isn't a "must-land" recruit. Just another in a long list of Indiana recruits that don't intend to attend Purdue.

My responses aren't lame. I'm not pissed. I'm annoyed maybe.

Purdue will continue to exist and succeed without Phinisee. He is not that special. If he wanted to come, I'd take him, but given the choice between him and Eric Hunter or Damezi Anderson, I wouldn't even think twice about kicking Phinisee to the curb.

I'll help you out now. If you want to sound credible, get as far away from Hammer and Rails as possible. I've been there. A lot of us have. But I'm helping you before you figure it out yourself and waste time. They are the furthest thing from credible as you can get.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I was at Purdue when we'd only offer a walkon to Rick's son. Think his name was Richie and that is one reason that Rick cut off Purdue for many years. He never came to Purdue to play... Legacy's are only good at Animal House... :D

Hoover: Kent is a legacy, Otter. His brother was a ’59, Fred Dorfman.
Flounder: He said legacies usually get asked to pledge automatically.
Otter: Oh, well, usually. Unless the pledge in question turns out to be a real closet-case.
Otter, Boon: Like Fred.
Sam, Richie Mount did attend Purdue and played on a full scholarship. He simply wasn't all that good and was deep in his father's shadow.

OTOH Austin Parkinson wasn't highly recruited and was on scholarship four years. The idea that either of those guys would have been a huge loss had they picked somewhere else isn't very accurate. Austin stayed and competed but had one of the worst outside shots I've ever seen.

Reactions: tjreese
That stance is fine.

Purdue should land the states top talent. It's disappointing it doesn't. This isn't new.

But this isn't a "must-land" recruit. Just another in a long list of Indiana recruits that don't intend to attend Purdue.

My responses aren't lame. I'm not pissed. I'm annoyed maybe.

Purdue will continue to exist and succeed without Phinisee. He is not that special. If he wanted to come, I'd take him, but given the choice between him and Eric Hunter or Damezi Anderson, I wouldn't even think twice about kicking Phinisee to the curb.

I'll help you out now. If you want to sound credible, get as far away from Hammer and Rails as possible. I've been there. A lot of us have. But I'm helping you before you figure it out yourself and waste time. They are the furthest thing from credible as you can get.

And, likewise, as I've said more than once that your stance is fine. I'm ok with it. I wholeheartedly disagree, but I'm fine with it. I do find him a must land. For the many reasons I've already listed. Your responses have been pretty ridiculous and at times lame. I'm not looking to piss you off. I'm just looking for tolerance and diversity in views. You don't have to agree all the time. That's a huge problem here. Same team. All fans. And Alum. Having a different opinion shouldn't be this difficult to deal with. It's actually kind of embarrassing really. Some would seriously attack belittle and insult a fellow Alum for the simple fact they have a different opinion.
I'm sorry, but I think he is that special. Having him on the team will, IMO, make them better and be great for the local fans and alum. And, fine you'd kick him to the curb for Hunter and Anderson. I find that ridiculous, but ok. And, yes, I'll go ahead and look at Hammer and Rails with some scrutiny. I'm not afraid to be skeptical with my info.

And, likewise, as I've said more than once that your stance is fine. I'm ok with it. I wholeheartedly disagree, but I'm fine with it. I do find him a must land. For the many reasons I've already listed. Your responses have been pretty ridiculous and at times lame. I'm not looking to piss you off. I'm just looking for tolerance and diversity in views. You don't have to agree all the time. That's a huge problem here. Same team. All fans. And Alum. Having a different opinion shouldn't be this difficult to deal with. It's actually kind of embarrassing really. Some would seriously attack belittle and insult a fellow Alum for the simple fact they have a different opinion.
I'm sorry, but I think he is that special. Having him on the team will, IMO, make them better and be great for the local fans and alum. And, fine you'd kick him to the curb for Hunter and Anderson. I find that ridiculous, but ok. And, yes, I'll go ahead and look at Hammer and Rails with some scrutiny. I'm not afraid to be skeptical with my info.
Trust me man. I'm not saying this off of some highlight videos or rankings.

I've put on the work. I've seen more than a handful of games from each of the players I mentioned. He's not on their level.

He's a sure fire HM kid. But he's not leading anyone to a national title, or final 4.

Just a decent recruit who has a lot to work on that doesn't want to go to Purdue. Happens every year. Has for a long long long time. Will continue to happen until Purdue changes the perception people have of it.

Trust me man. I'm not saying this off of some highlight videos or rankings.

I've put on the work. I've seen more than a handful of games from each of the players I mentioned. He's not on their level.

He's a sure fire HM kid. But he's not leading anyone to a national title, or final 4.

Just a decent recruit who has a lot to work on that doesn't want to go to Purdue. Happens every year. Has for a long long long time. Will continue to happen until Purdue changes the perception people have of it.

I've watch Robert play. I watched him and Langford square off in the state championship last year. They are both exceptional. I don't think we're going to the national title town or Final4 any time soon with or without Phinisee. I just think he'd make them better, and would do wonders for the area. Not to mention if he does become what I think he can, what that'd do for future recruits. Much like Biggie could. And, I think we must agree on the perception problem here. If Miller steals him and makes a huge run in the national spotlight or worse a Final4....our perception takes an even bigger hit.

I've watch Robert play. I watched him and Langford square off in the state championship last year. They are both exceptional. I don't think we're going to the national title town or Final4 any time soon with or without Phinisee. I just think he'd make them better, and would do wonders for the area. Not to mention if he does become what I think he can, what that'd do for future recruits. Much like Biggie could. And, I think we must agree on the perception problem here. If Miller steals him and makes a huge run in the national spotlight or worse a Final4....our perception takes an even bigger hit.
Miller won't "steal" Phinisee if he does land him. He will simply land him.

And no one is going to a final 4, or deep at all, with Phinisee as their leader.

But he's a nice recruit. He's probably make us better. So would a lot of players and a lot more that could make us even better than Phinisee could.

He's just one recruit in a sea of recruits.

Landing him wouldn't do anything for the area. The Lafayette area does not have very good players coming out of it often.

To put Phinisee in the same sentence as Biggie is just kind of ludicrous IMO.

Not a big deal if we don't land Phinisee, and that's a large possibility if you got on the paying board.

Wish we could land all the top talent in the state. It's never been that way and likely never will be until Purdue starts doing significant things in March and the draft

Wait, was either of those kids the top target in the state at their positions? Were they #1 in Indiana? Nope. False equivalency.

Neither of those players was a top priority although we were forced to give Parkinson a scholarship and we felt obligated to play him! If we give Phinisee a scholarship that could have gone to Romeo , I'd be pissed. And if we start Phinisee at pg over Eastern, I'll be equally pissed! Phinisee is a nice player, but I don't see him as a must have or a starter over Edwards and Eastern and I don't want Eastern's talents wasted as a SF . So sign Phinisee if you must and let him be a 6th man .

Miller won't "steal" Phinisee if he does land him. He will simply land him.

And no one is going to a final 4, or deep at all, with Phinisee as their leader.

But he's a nice recruit. He's probably make us better. So would a lot of players and a lot more that could make us even better than Phinisee could.

He's just one recruit in a sea of recruits.

Landing him wouldn't do anything for the area. The Lafayette area does not have very good players coming out of it often.

To put Phinisee in the same sentence as Biggie is just kind of ludicrous IMO.

Not a big deal if we don't land Phinisee, and that's a large possibility if you got on the paying board.

Wish we could land all the top talent in the state. It's never been that way and likely never will be until Purdue starts doing significant things in March and the draft

Miller landing him, IMO, will have all the hype and recruiting bragging rights if he gets him.

I don't intend to give the impression that Phinisee would "lead" as much as help in many areas of the program. On and off the court and area enthusiasm. Yes, we don't get many really good players around here anymore, but when we do, we need to get him.

I should rethink the way I used Robert and Biggie in the same sentence. LOL.

I also want to get the home grown talent. And, I share your sentiment on March and the draft. I'm not one to think Painter is for sure going to get us there. I'm skeptical.

Miller landing him, IMO, will have all the hype and recruiting bragging rights if he gets him.

I don't intend to give the impression that Phinisee would "lead" as much as help in many areas of the program. On and off the court and area enthusiasm. Yes, we don't get many really good players around here anymore, but when we do, we need to get him.

I should rethink the way I used Robert and Biggie in the same sentence. LOL.

I also want to get the home grown talent. And, I share your sentiment on March and the draft. I'm not one to think Painter is for sure going to get us there. I'm skeptical.
I think he could but no idea if he will.

It's a really hard thing to do for anyone

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT