ADVERTISEMENT

What is your favorite and least favorite Purdue Football moment

One of my favorite single plays that I'm not sure I've seen mentioned here...

2004 vs Notre Dame - Kyle Orton calls an audible at the line and hits a streaking Taylor Stubblefield for a 97 yd TD. That was just one of those "video game moments" where it felt like we were in total control and everything was clicking.

2004 vs Notre Dame - Kyle Orton calls an audible at the line and hits a streaking Taylor Stubblefield for a 97 yd TD. That was just one of those "video game moments" where it felt like we were in total control and everything was clicking.
That is my favorite moment of the tiller era

How do you feel about Ben Jones? He was the kicker that missed the FG that would have tied the game after Orton dusted himself off and drove the team back down the field to put them in position...
I have no issues with Jones. Can’t assume he will make the kick for many reasons. Orton had the ball in the wrong hand a lot different.

My favorite Purdue football moment was the Rod Woodson game winning interception. I think it was the '84 or '85 season. Purdue took the lead late in the 4th quarter with a Rod Woodson pick 6. Purdue beat Ohio State, Michigan, and Notre Dame that year I believe.

The worst Purdue football was the dreaded aforementioned Orton fumble against Wisconsin. That one play, Orton lost the Heisman, Purdue lost the game, lost momentum for a Big Ten championship and possibly the BCS.

Reactions: bonefish1
Here are my best and worst, of the games I was at:
Best- Holy Toledo
2nd - MSU 97
3rd - ND 99

Worst- Krenzel to Jenkins. Such a gut punch. Ross Ade collapsed in on itself. I think that may have even been a bigger win than Wisky in 2004, which leads me to....

2nd worst - The Fumble (aka the dropped interception)

3rd worst - blowing a 25 point lead in the 99 outback bowl against UGA was bad enough, but having to listen to all their Redneck fans gloating was even worse. Ruined a couple days of my vacation.
I also attended the Outback Bowl and the walk back to our hotel after the game past those rednecks was brutal.

Reactions: TheGunner
No, i think it was the Michigan game. It may have started there, but he had hip issues from getting hit.

Also, people also forget that Orton drove them for a game tying FG attempt and Jones shanked it. So many things went wrong in that game, not just the fumble.
I think Dorien Bryant alligator-armed a ball that would have set up first and goal from inside the five as well.

Reactions: TheGunner

My wife's favourite play! :)

Orton my least favorite Purdue quarterback. Still can’t believe he couldn’t get a first down and hang onto the ball. Took the wind out of the sail for years.

Orton versus Terbush?
......................:eek:

The first game at Cincinnati, Hazel's first game coaching. That game really popped my bubble! Had high hopes for team.
I knew that team was going to struggle when Shoop installed a seven step drop offense and named Rob Henry the starter. Dafuq. Rob Henry needed to be in an RPO offsense. The weird beard was awful.

My favorite Purdue football moment was the Rod Woodson game winning interception. I think it was the '84 or '85 season. Purdue took the lead late in the 4th quarter with a Rod Woodson pick 6. Purdue beat Ohio State, Michigan, and Notre Dame that year I believe.

The worst Purdue football was the dreaded aforementioned Orton fumble against Wisconsin. That one play, Orton lost the Heisman, Purdue lost the game, lost momentum for a Big Ten championship and possibly the BCS.

Yup. That one play is often blamed for setting Purdue football back 15 years.
But you're right: ESPN College Game Day was on campus, Orton was the leading Heisman candidate, I believe we had a top 3 ranking.
All gone due to one play....

But you're right: ESPN College Game Day was on campus, Orton was the leading Heisman candidate, I believe we had a top 3 ranking.
We were #5

I knew that team was going to struggle when Shoop installed a seven step drop offense and named Rob Henry the starter. Dafuq. Rob Henry needed to be in an RPO offsense. The weird beard was awful.
Well, in fairness, Weird Beard only had 3 years to install his very complex “pro style” offensive scheme. The man was a misunderstood mad scientist.

Was fortunate to be at that game that day sitting up high in what was a small area of Purdue fans. We went crazy that afternoon!!! The Boiler win that day was the first in 30 years at ND.

Some have already mentioned it here but Orton's fumble would be just a fading "blip" in Purdue fans' memories had Smith made the interception that he should have a series or 2 later as Wisconsin was driving towards, I think, the go ahead TD. Like has been said, that ball hit him right in the upper chest with him fully facing it watching it come in. I still to this day do not understand how he could not catch it??? If he makes that interception, they don't score the second time and we almost certainly would have run out the clock to get the win. Yes, we Purdue fans remember "the fumble" but we should also remember "the (not) interception" that should have been made in the same sad vein.

Since most of us are having to shelter in place and there are no live games to watch what would your favorite moment and least favorite moment be. My favorite would be the Drew Brees to Seth Morales post pattern to beat Ohio State. My least favorite would be Mike Alstot pleading with Colleto put him in on a short yardage play late in the game in a tie with I think Iowa. I know it would be easy to DH 1 and 2 but make it a game situation.
Favorite: Drew Brees/Stu Schweigert led squad beating IU to earn Rose Bowl berth.
Least: Really no contest....the Kyle Orton fumble vs. Wisconsin. Watching an undefeated, top 5 ranked season go up in smoke.

Some have already mentioned it here but Orton's fumble would be just a fading "blip" in Purdue fans' memories had Smith made the interception that he should have a series or 2 later as Wisconsin was driving towards, I think, the go ahead TD. Like has been said, that ball hit him right in the upper chest with him fully facing it watching it come in. I still to this day do not understand how he could not catch it??? If he makes that interception, they don't score the second time and we almost certainly would have run out the clock to get the win. Yes, we Purdue fans remember "the fumble" but we should also remember "the (not) interception" that should have been made in the same sad vein.
One big difference. Orton was a legit Heisman candidate at that point. Smith was a nobody, a walk-on QB convert playing safety. More was expected of one than the other. Much more.

One big difference. Orton was a legit Heisman candidate at that point. Smith was a nobody, a walk-on QB convert playing safety. More was expected of one than the other. Much more.
If a ball hits a big ten starting safety in the chest, he should catch it. If he cant do that, he doesnt belong as a starter.

If a ball hits a big ten starting safety in the chest, he should catch it. If he cant do that, he doesnt belong as a starter.
We've had more than a few safeties who should not have been big ten starters.

Fumble vs Wisconsin worst
Best. Thumping Notre Dame there with my dad

UOTE="FirstDownB, post: 2550130, member: 17801"]Favorite moment:
Sep 11, 1999. Purdue makes a goal line stand with time ticking down to upset the visiting Irish. I was in the student section, right on the goal line, yelling my lungs out as the entire series unfolded right in front of me. That's also probably the moment that sealed me as a "forever" Purdue football fan.

Little known fact, Notre Dame probably got the 4th down play off in time, but the student section was counting down the time and got to zero about a second early, and the refs blew the play dead. I'd like to think we contributed to the win, although ND likely wouldn't have scored anyway. You can see it here:

Least favorite:
The fumble[/QUOTE]

If a big ten quarterback running to his right carrying the ball in his left hand and fumbles, then he doesn’t deserve to play.

Can't assume a player will catch the ball. Just this year Hopkins had a few drops so did he deserve to play?

If a big ten quarterback running to his right carrying the ball in his left hand and fumbles, then he doesn’t deserve to play.

Can't assume a player will catch the ball. Just this year Hopkins had a few drops so did he deserve to play?

Lol, Shit happens to QBs. AS has been said, over and over, that play didnt even lead to Wisconsin taking a lead.

Safeties are meant to play center field (especially FS like Smith).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT