ADVERTISEMENT

How many years have you been watching Purdue basketball and favorite team

Hey Longboat, I was at the first game at Mackey too. Still have the ticket. Then went to the Rose Bowl and got a piece of the goal post. Went to the final four and got to sit on a folding chair on the hardwood floor thanks to Red Mackey. Could have pulled Acindor's shorts down when he was passing the ball in from the sideline. Live in East Sarasota now.

I am an IU fan, who also keeps my podcast as unbiased as possible... But I've been watching my whole life. Earliest memories are IUs 2002 tourney run(I was 8). But even as an IU fan, it's a love/hate relationship with Purdue teams obviously. I like watching good basketball period. Even if I hate the team playing it, like a Purdue or Kentucky. But I liked the Moore, Johnson, Hummel teams. I like the team this year. I liked Ivey. I liked Carsen Edwards.

I am an IU fan, who also keeps my podcast as unbiased as possible... But I've been watching my whole life. Earliest memories are IUs 2002 tourney run(I was 8). But even as an IU fan, it's a love/hate relationship with Purdue teams obviously. I like watching good basketball period. Even if I hate the team playing it, like a Purdue or Kentucky. But I liked the Moore, Johnson, Hummel teams. I like the team this year. I liked Ivey. I liked Carsen Edwards.

Almost feel sorry for you. Almost. If your earliest memories of iu were 02.....since then, 2 decades+, save a couple years, @ least you had CMP & Purdue to watch when you needed a good basketball fix. LOL.

Reactions: Schnelk
My dad ( a chemical eng grad) took me to my first game when I was 12.....been watching hoping ever since 55 years now...watching Mount play and Big Dog were great , but this group is my favorite, praying they find the final four . How about you ?
Started watching when I moved to Indiana in 1983-84 season. 1987-88 was my favorite team, hearing the word “Silverdome” still causes Boilerephrine to shoot thru my veins.

My freshman year (1980) was Keady’s freshman year … loved how he was totally un-intimidated by the red-sweatered fatass down south….. that winter of ‘84 was glorious— when the Prince of Pecs, Ricky Hall, Steve Reid, Mark Atkinson, et. al caught fire and whipped the Illini to take the B1G title.
Purdue was absolutely hosed as conference champions that year, when they were shipped to play the Memphis State criminals on their home floor .
Then 2 years later we got shipped to LSU, to play LSU.

Almost feel sorry for you. Almost. If your earliest memories of iu were 02.....since then, 2 decades+, save a couple years, @ least you had CMP & Purdue to watch when you needed a good basketball fix. LOL.
I don't watch a ton of Purdue but I do watch a lot of CBB. So it's been Purdue and others. Outside the Zeller years, Yogis senior season and Gordon's freshman year... It's not been great. Last season wasn't awful. It was at least fun watching TJD. But also grew up with a dad that had me watching old Indiana games he had recorded. 1976 title, 1981 title, 87 title, MJs/Shaqs last games(both against IU), plenty of games from Cheaneys time, 87 game against UNLV and others. So I've been able to see IU at its greatest just after the fact. But 2002, even at 8, is an unmatched feeling. Maybe one y'all will get finally get to experience this year.

I don't watch a ton of Purdue but I do watch a lot of CBB. So it's been Purdue and others. Outside the Zeller years, Yogis senior season and Gordon's freshman year... It's not been great. Last season wasn't awful. It was at least fun watching TJD. But also grew up with a dad that had me watching old Indiana games he had recorded. 1976 title, 1981 title, 87 title, MJs/Shaqs last games(both against IU), plenty of games from Cheaneys time, 87 game against UNLV and others. So I've been able to see IU at its greatest just after the fact. But 2002, even at 8, is an unmatched feeling. Maybe one y'all will get finally get to experience this year.

I watched most of those. Was at iu as a part time student to keep college cost down since it was a half hour from home....prior to transfer to Purdue for BS & MS. Anyway, one of those years, 81 got to see that team. iu was good back then, enjoyable to watch and fun for Purdue to upset as Keady beat Knight more than vice versa.

But good to see you got to watch Purdue since 02 where much of that time they were better than iu.

I watched most of those. Was at iu as a part time student to keep college cost down since it was a half hour from home....prior to transfer to Purdue for BS & MS. Anyway, one of those years, 81 got to see that team. iu was good back then, enjoyable to watch and fun for Purdue to upset as Keady beat Knight more than vice versa.

But good to see you got to watch Purdue since 02 where much of that time they were better than iu.
Purdue is 21-17 since the 01-02 season. So it's been close really. Crazy to think even after Purdue won 9 straight. And oddly enough, Mike Davis had a winning record against Keady(wild right?). Not sure the record since then when both teams are ranked though... Indiana might be in favor there. But it's been a closer series than Duke-UNC or UK-UofL since then I believe as well. But obviously Duke-UNC gets the nod because both are more consistently elite than IU or PU.

Hey Longboat, I was at the first game at Mackey too. Still have the ticket. Then went to the Rose Bowl and got a piece of the goal post. Went to the final four and got to sit on a folding chair on the hardwood floor thanks to Red Mackey. Could have pulled Acindor's shorts down when he was passing the ball in from the sideline. Live in East Sarasota now.
Wow! Well, we've certainly walked a lot of the same paths. When I tell people today that we were lucky enough to have both the BB and FB teams in the top 5 during our time there, I often get that blank stare, with them thinking an old guy, confused again.

Did you get to see Zach when he was here at IMG? And didn't even make the starting 5?

Wow! Well, we've certainly walked a lot of the same paths. When I tell people today that we were lucky enough to have both the BB and FB teams in the top 5 during our time there, I often get that blank stare, with them thinking an old guy, confused again.

Did you get to see Zach when he was here at IMG? And didn't even make the starting 5?
I remember Walter Jordan teams Drake Morris from Ec I go way back Rick mount only liked IU twice Purdue always

My dad ( a chemical eng grad) took me to my first game when I was 12.....been watching hoping ever since 55 years now...watching Mount play and Big Dog were great , but this group is my favorite, praying they find the final four . How about you ?
In the early 60s I was a Butler fan and watched Mount as a soph at Hinkle. Somewhere between the mid 60s and late 60s I became a Purdue fan. My dad who made the freshman team at IU before dropping out of school never pushed IU at all (was no more an IU fan than Purdue fan even though he had personal friends that were IU grads) ...just wanted me to go to college and not marry that high school girlfriend. ;) I do recall being a bit younger and being at an orthodontist office and reading a sports Illustrated on USC showing some cheerleaders and thinking THAT was where I wanted to go. ;)

Somewhere in the late 60s I became a fan. Each team has been a bit different and I absolutely liked all of them although some were harder to like than others. The more successful teams are liked by more people. Getting back to campus quite often over the years and watching it grow has been good. It is sooooo much different than in the early 70s. Picking a favorite is hard, but naturally some years stand out due to their success. I can only say that this team is as much a favorite as any...

I started listening on the radio when I was 8. I listened to a lot of games in secret under the covers when I was supposed to be sleeping.

I am 55 now and don't remember ever missing a game via radio or TV or stream, even when I was overseas for 9 years.

One of my favorite memories was 1990...Scheffler's senior year. I manged to barely scrape up enough money to buy a ticket. I didn't have a car or a pot to piss in, but I made it to a lot of games.

This particular game, I was hitch hiking from old highway 52 near Morris Bryant. An older dude picked me up, asked where I was going and I told him Mackey. He said "Me too, you can tell me how to get there."

We get there and he has a courtside pass. He was there to scout Steve Scheffler...his name was Bill Musselman. He got me into the arena for free and I sat with him behind the bench!

My most vivid memory from that game is Scheffler and another Boiler trapping a guy in the corner and Scheffler was screaming "Wooooooo, woooooo!" right in the ball handler's face. Turnover.

My favorite team? Every team, every year.
I too have either seen in TV, in person or listened on the radio every game with the most possible misses of 4 or 5 in the last 50 years. I don't recall missing any, but figured I had to sometime and so I listed 4 or 5

My father attended Purdue starting in 1929. He told me that he would play pick-up basketball games on Saturdays at the old Memorial Gym with John Wooden and other members of the Purdue basketball squad. As such, when I was a kid in the late '40's and early '50's, we would sit around the old Philco floor model radio and listen to the Purdue basketball games. (we didn't have a TV until the mid '50's.) My earliest recollections included the "bleacher collapse" game in the late '40's, games with Ernie Hall, Ted Dunn and Denny Blind, (who were Lafayette Jeff graduates), Bill Berberian ( later a long-time coach at West Lafayette HS), and then those players who played while I was in school at Purdue - including Terry Dischinger (who recently died in Oregon), Willie Merriwether (who was a team-mate of Oscar Robertson at Indianapolis Crispus Attucks), Joe Sexton, etc.

I've been a rabid Purdue fan ever since. Of course, Rick Mount, Glenn Robinson, Joe Barry Carrol, Brian Cardinal, Brad Miller, stand out, as well as the more recent stars.

I believe that Zack Edie and this year's team will go down as one of the most memorable teams of all.
My Grandfather, father, myself and my son all went to Purdue , 4 generations 😁, my mom went there too.

My freshman year (1980) was Keady’s freshman year … loved how he was totally un-intimidated by the red-sweatered fatass down south….. that winter of ‘84 was glorious— when the Prince of Pecs, Ricky Hall, Steve Reid, Mark Atkinson, et. al caught fire and whipped the Illini to take the B1G title.
Purdue was absolutely hosed as conference champions that year, when they were shipped to play the Memphis State criminals on their home floor .

Otherwise , my favorite Purdue team was the Baby Boilers that year Hummel blew out his knee at the Barn …. There is no doubt in my mind that was EASILY a Final Four team!
A lot of people have no idea some of the places Purdue got "picked" to play at and who years ago that no doubt had a bearing on Purdue's NCAA success.

Been a fan of Purdue basketball (and football) since 1961-1962. Kept a scrapbook of Journal & Courier articles. Eventually delivered the paper 1966-1969. Went to games in the old fieldhouse and was fortunate to attend the first game in Purdue Arena. Still have the program. Sat behind the basket where the UCLA guard hit the winning shot. Graduated high school with Joe Sexson’s son, Rick (RIP).
Rick coached high school BBall years ago in the 80s??? Can't remember where exactly...even drawing a blank in how his teams played.

edited below-
Laying bed and for whatever reason my mind quickly shifted to Rick Sexon and think he may have coached Maconaquah for a couple of years

Last edited:
Question for the old timers...
What was the first season Purdue was on TV?

What was the first Purdue game on TV?

Reactions: Schnelk
I've been a fan since 2003 so over 20 years.

My favorite team was the core 4's freshman year/RD and AJH junior year. That year thanks to RD, the team finally turned the corner from the horrific RJ two years. Painter probably gets fired if that team doesn't turn it around.

Painter owes a small percentage of every check to RD imo. Without him Purdue would not be what it is today.

Yeah, this a great shout. Even though Rapheal Davis never won a tournament game, he's the pivot point where the program started heading back up toward where it is now.

Rick coached high school BBall years ago in the 80s??? Can't remember where exactly...even drawing a blank in how his teams played.

edited below-
Laying bed and for whatever reason my mind quickly shifted to Rick Sexon and think he may have coached Maconaquah for a couple of years
As far as I remember, Rick was an assistant for his dad at Butler. He coached Thad Matta! Rick coached girls basketball after that. Maybe at Lafayette CC? He was quite a character around town. Have lots of mutual friends that have lots of stories!

Reactions: tjreese
As far as I remember, Rick was an assistant for his dad at Butler. He coached Thad Matta! Rick coached girls basketball after that. Maybe at Lafayette CC? He was quite a character around town. Have lots of mutual friends that have lots of stories!
Yeah I recall that. He never coached at CC I'm pretty sure, because I remember seeing a resume. Found it...guess I don't have dementia ;)

snip...snip
". After coaching with his father, Rick went on to coach at Maconaquah High School and Eastside High School. Unfortunately, Rick passed away in 2018 at the age of 64. Mark is retired and lives in the Indianapolis area."

Yea, I tell everybody who will listen that I was at Purdue for the true glory years. First time to the Rose Bowl, beat ND 3 out of 4 years and first time to make it to basketball finals. Got to see fantastic players like Bob Griese, Leroy Keyes, Mike Phipps, Dave Schellhase, Rick Mount, Billy Keller and Herm Gilliam.

Kept following Zach at IMG but they never seemed to play him, so I did not make it to a game. i wonder what ever became of the center for IMG who kept Zach on the bench. Seemed like the IMG coach missed out on developing a great potential. Fortunately Painter could see the potential. Did make it to see Isaac Haas and company play in Orlando holiday tournament

I remember watching the opening of Mackey Arena on December 1, 1967 on TV against UCLA in a 71-69 loss when UCLA hit a half court shot to win. I loved Rick Mount.

My other favorite player was Glenn Robinson. When I was at South Bend in my first job at the National Weather Service…I had the opportunity to watch Big Dog his senior season at Gary Roosevelt play at South Bend Adams. I walked away from that game thinking he’s a very special player and we have a good one.

Yea, I tell everybody who will listen that I was at Purdue for the true glory years. First time to the Rose Bowl, beat ND 3 out of 4 years and first time to make it to basketball finals. Got to see fantastic players like Bob Griese, Leroy Keyes, Mike Phipps, Dave Schellhase, Rick Mount, Billy Keller and Herm Gilliam.

Kept following Zach at IMG but they never seemed to play him, so I did not make it to a game. i wonder what ever became of the center for IMG who kept Zach on the bench. Seemed like the IMG coach missed out on developing a great potential. Fortunately Painter could see the potential. Did make it to see Isaac Haas and company play in Orlando holiday tournament
The IMG center was Mark Williams who played 2 years for Duke before entering the NBA draft.

Been a fan of Purdue basketball (and football) since 1961-1962. Kept a scrapbook of Journal & Courier articles. Eventually delivered the paper 1966-1969. Went to games in the old fieldhouse and was fortunate to attend the first game in Purdue Arena. Still have the program. Sat behind the basket where the UCLA guard hit the winning shot. Graduated high school with Joe Sexson’s son, Rick (RIP).
I had a backrest against the wall for that first game at Mackey ... my head hurt for days after that last shot!!

• Haha
I remember watching the opening of Mackey Arena on December 1, 1967 on TV against UCLA in a 71-69 loss when UCLA hit a half court shot to win. I loved Rick Mount.

My other favorite player was Glenn Robinson. When I was at South Bend in my first job at the National Weather Service…I had the opportunity to watch Big Dog his senior season at Gary Roosevelt play at South Bend Adams. I walked away from that game thinking he’s a very special player and we have a good one.
I may know you!!!

Reactions: seminolesboilers
WOW!!!! I followed the team from the 1st game at Mackey to Madison to watch McGuire throw his plaid coat into the stands, Mount hit the corner fader (his signature shot), then Louisville ... but not close to the floor. ... You are the MAN!

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
Grew up across street from Ross Ade and Mackey. First hoops game I saw was in Lambert; Boilers with Schellhase & Ebershoff vs. U-M with Cazzie Russell, Bill Buntin, etc. Rickety bleachers, place smelled like buttered popcorn.

Played HS ball for Bill Berberian; with young Jimmy Schaus, George Faerber & wife Pam babysat for my brothers & me. They had a baby daughter, Ginger, and pet lab, Drake, not yet housebroken. Boy, could that dog pee.

Can't pick a favorite team. Loved them all!

Yeah I recall that. He never coached at CC I'm pretty sure, because I remember seeing a resume. Found it...guess I don't have dementia ;)

snip...snip
". After coaching with his father, Rick went on to coach at Maconaquah High School and Eastside High School. Unfortunately, Rick passed away in 2018 at the age of 64. Mark is retired and lives in the Indianapolis area."
No big deal, but the story is a little incomplete. I texted a mutual friend who hung out with Rick in Lafayette. Rick coached the girls at CC . There’s an interesting side story that I won’t get into. The last time I saw Rick was at our 45th high school reunion. Sadly, he was suffering from early onset Alzheimer’s. Jeff Washburn was there, too. In very poor health. They both passed away within a year or two of the reunion. They even went to the same elementary school. Rick was a character!

I grew up in Ohio as an OSU fan. Picked Purdue for academics, started attending in 1990 and was a Purdue fan the minute I accepted my offer.

SO 34 years a fan, and favorite era was G-Rob. Issue for me is I was in college those years, so nothing replaces that excitement. I live in AZ now and watch every game and follow, but the passion of youth and being a student will never replace the early to mid 90's.

That said, ofcourse i love this team, who can not if you are a Purdue fan?

I grew up in Ohio as an OSU fan. Picked Purdue for academics, started attending in 1990 and was a Purdue fan the minute I accepted my offer.

SO 34 years a fan, and favorite era was G-Rob. Issue for me is I was in college those years, so nothing replaces that excitement. I live in AZ now and watch every game and follow, but the passion of youth and being a student will never replace the early to mid 90's.

My daughter and son-in-law were cheerleaders during the G-Rob years. They stayed in-touch for a while, but not recently. They have been in Mesa for 25 years.

The IMG center was Mark Williams who played 2 years for Duke before entering the NBA draft.
IMG always has high level talent. Couple of yrs before Zach got there, the coach, who's name I've forgotten, was the former head coach at Carmel. Lots of BB and FB Purdue connections with IMG

No big deal, but the story is a little incomplete. I texted a mutual friend who hung out with Rick in Lafayette. Rick coached the girls at CC . There’s an interesting side story that I won’t get into. The last time I saw Rick was at our 45th high school reunion. Sadly, he was suffering from early onset Alzheimer’s. Jeff Washburn was there, too. In very poor health. They both passed away within a year or two of the reunion. They even went to the same elementary school. Rick was a character!
I only knew the boys and would not know any coaching he did with the girls. Guess we both recalled separate but additional info on his coaching. ;)

WOW!!!! I followed the team from the 1st game at Mackey to Madison to watch McGuire throw his plaid coat into the stands, Mount hit the corner fader (his signature shot), then Louisville ... but not close to the floor. ... You are the MAN!
I was at that Marquette game also. Had seats high up. Thing that sticks in my mind is how steep the seating in that arena was.

I only knew the boys and would not know any coaching he did with the girls. Guess we both recalled separate but additional info on his coaching. ;)
I will tell one funny story. Rick played baseball for Spider Fields at Jeff. He got picked off second base TWICE in one game. From then on, until he passed away, Rick was known by all as “Busher”, for bush league.🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
Did not watch a great deal of college bb until high school in Connersville (1961-65). Dad was a rabid Reds fan who did not care too much for other sports. Looking at colleges in my junior year got me more interested in their football and basketball teams. Luckily, several HS friends were going to Purdue which saved me from following my Methodist upbringing and going to DePauw. That, and the fact that my gf was also going to Purdue, helped me choose. Once there, did not miss many games as a student. One memorable game I did miss was the Mackey opening game against UCLA. My future wife-to-be was visiting (not the gf of 1965) from the iu School of Nursing and we spent quality time at a friend's apartment. She and I did go the the 120-76 squeaker in 1969. As an aside, she never was a fan of Knight. Obviously, the Final Four team is my favorite. This year's Final Four team will be my second favorite.

I got a stress fracture in my foot walking to class on the un-shoveled ice fields of side walks (do they still not clear the sidewalks?) and would get taped in the mornings in the training room. Got to be there with JBC several times and always remember that. He didn't talk much but was a nice guy. :) Was 79, my only year on campus and that team was crazy good. Our seats were 4 rows from the top and I would watch that roof sometimes, to see if it might be moving a bit, from the noise. ;)
56 years here. Too many favorite teams to name them all.

I do have a favorite JBC story though. My wife (ex now, unfortunately) was in the student health center waiting room I think during the 76-77 school year. She looked up from the book she was reading and caught JBC staring at her from across the room. She said he quickly averted his eyes and started examining the floor.

Grew up in Toledo Ohio, OSU and Michigan , but then there was this guy Bob Griese...

Been watching since 1979 when I was 8. Most games were on WRTV Channel 4 (I think). If not they were on the radio. I kept a notebook and recorded the stats live as the game unfolded. The Farm Bureau pregame " attic" tuba commercial is a formative memory in my life. The 1980 - 1984 teams made me fall in love with basketball - those seniors won the conference in 1984. 1987-88 may be my all time favorite team, although the Painter teams of the past 5 years have been darn fun to watch.
Pretty much on the same timeline. 79-80 and have been addicted since.

Earliest memory I have is watching the Kansas State game in 1988. I was at the Texas game in the Hoosier Dome in 1990 so I got my in person pain out of the way early.

gleap1969 - I attended Connersville High School same years as you. I remember there was a road trip to Purdue to watch the Boilers take on Minnesota. It was in the old Lambert Field House so that was probably 1962 or 1963. The freshman in NCAA didn't play their first years at their schools. So they played an intersquad game prior to the varsity game. Purdue had Chuck Bavis as a freshman center that year and played in the freshman game. We were late arriving and didn't get to see the Freshman game. I think Billy Keller, Herm Gilliam and Ralph Taylor were also freshmen that season. They were probably better than the varsity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT