ADVERTISEMENT

What happens to our program, if Walters does not end up getting let go this year?

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
Even though I don't see how Purdue could not let Walters go after this season, because we are still going to be lucky to win 2 games, if we are that lucky. We have games where it looks like certain players are going through the motions in some games over the last 2 years. Purdue could still balk at the $9 buyout. They might say that we sold out almost every home game this year. That would obviously change next year.

If he stays, what happens to this program? Are we set back 2, 3, 4 years? Also, who are going to have to play next year in a tougher conference each year now? The best players like Klare are going to be big targets of other programs, like Nic Scourton was, and we are not going to get into a bidding war for players. We have lost almost all of our best recruits in this recruiting class, and I don't see any of them returning. Recruits are going to know that Walters could be gone at any time. Are we going to have a team worth of transfers that no one else wants?

Even though I don't see how Purdue could not let Walters go after this season, because we are still going to be lucky to win 2 games, if we are that lucky. We have games where it looks like certain players are going through the motions in some games over the last 2 years. Purdue could still balk at the $9 buyout. They might say that we sold out almost every home game this year. That would obviously change next year.

If he stays, what happens to this program? Are we set back 2, 3, 4 years? Also, who are going to have to play next year in a tougher conference each year now? The best players like Klare are going to be big targets of other programs, like Nic Scourton was, and we are not going to get into a bidding war for players. We have lost almost all of our best recruits in this recruiting class, and I don't see any of them returning. Recruits are going to know that Walters could be gone at any time. Are we going to have a team worth of transfers that no one else wants?
We’ll look, if we just had $20mil to put together a roster none of this would be an issue

He is definitely gone...hope to get a good coach that can bring his whole staff and some of his players. And God willing actually can judge decent talent from the portal. And the young guys stick around to be developed properly. Nothing that Walters has been able to do...period!

Until the AD is fixed Walters doesn’t matter.

I cannot see the future being any brighter or any coach being able to do a better job than Walters is doing. All 4 of the teams added will always be better than Purdue. And if the big 10 adds any more teams, they will be powerhouse football teams like Miami or fsu .

With or without a nil, Purdue can’t compete against teams like usc or Miami or notre dame or Wisconsin.

What you are currently seeing is the future of Purdue football.

I’m still proud of Purdue.

Although I seriously doubt they will have a winning team any time soon

• Haha
Reactions: FireRyanWalters
IF Walters isn't canned at the end of our season (should be today) then I can see the program never recovering. It will get set so far behind I just don't see how it can get dug out.
I agree, players seem unsure what to do, same defense mistakes over and over, makes you think the coaches have no clue what is happening on the field. Need a different mindset for the team.

Reactions: Boiler8285 and BBG
I cannot see the future being any brighter or any coach being able to do a better job than Walters is doing. All 4 of the teams added will always be better than Purdue. And if the big 10 adds any more teams, they will be powerhouse football teams like Miami or fsu .

With or without a nil, Purdue can’t compete against teams like usc or Miami or notre dame or Wisconsin.

What you are currently seeing is the future of Purdue football.

I’m still proud of Purdue.

Although I seriously doubt they will have a winning team any time soon
Are you serious,....there are coaches out there that can atleast not make us a laughing stock.... We will never be a top tier big ten team....but damn we can find somebody to make us competitive in games and give us a 7-5 type program

Are you serious,....there are coaches out there that can atleast not make us a laughing stock.... We will never be a top tier big ten team....but damn we can find somebody to make us competitive in games and give us a 7-5 type program
Yeah, I’m pretty sure they fired the guy before Hazellllll for that type of record despite his last team being within about 30s of knocking-off two teams that finished the year unbeaten…

Recruits are going to be hard to get, especially any good one's. Walters is on a hot seat that gets hotter with each loss. My guess, he gets let go before seasons end. Hire Gruden.

It really comes down to $, and how much the BOD's is willing to loose in season ticket renewals, parking, beer and on and on. My guess is this crew is not willing after a couple years of near sell outs.

Reactions: pboiler18
If Indiana can find a diamond in the rough ...
How many tries did it take them to land a good coach? What's our success rate on new football coaches in the past 30 or so years? At best it's a 50-50 proposition, probably worse.

I'm probably in the minority on this but if there isn't a coach we feel good about working out at Purdue at the end of this season I would retain Walters another year, pay a reduced buyout in a year, and hire a better candidate in a year. I don't really think there is a good candidate for Purdue that would come to Purdue every year. It also wouldn't hurt to get more clarity on all this paying the players stuff before determining how best to move forward.

How many tries did it take them to land a good coach? What's our success rate on new football coaches in the past 30 or so years? At best it's a 50-50 proposition, probably worse.
Honestly, looking back, you could say that they hit on every other coach (assuming the Hep would have been a good hire). Corso got 8 wins one season and (given today’s bowl scene) would have made a bowl game the next year. Sam Wyche of Bengals fame was next followed by some very good seasons under Mallory. Cameron struggled but had one of their best players in their history. DiNardo was a disaster but Coach Hep seemed to have them pointed in the right direction. And so on to the point where Wilson had them in a position where they should have been in the B1G Championship.

It could easily be argued that they’ve ultimately made better coaching hires over the past 40+ years…

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Honestly, looking back, you could say that they hit on every other coach (assuming the Hep would have been a good hire). Corso got 8 wins one season and (given today’s bowl scene) would have made a bowl game the next year. Sam Wyche of Bengals fame was next followed by some very good seasons under Mallory. Cameron struggled but had one of their best players in their history. DiNardo was a disaster but Coach Hep seemed to have them pointed in the right direction. And so on to the point where Wilson had them in a position where they should have been in the B1G Championship.

It could easily be argued that they’ve ultimately made better coaching hires over the past 40+ years…
If I counted correctly, IU's last 14 head coaches finished below .500 when they were done. I wouldn't say they were all bad. Mallory was solid. Hoeppner didn't get the chance to follow through after a good second season. But, they've had one coach in the last 100 years that finished .500 or better. None in the last 75 years. I'll take our track record. They finally got it right this time though and clearly we did not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT