ADVERTISEMENT

We're not good

This team is so frustrating to watch, very little talent besides Carsen, and our defense sucks, constantly over rotate. Feel sorry for Carsen.
Short of some major progression through the year by freshman or perceived help on the way (Newmann?), it’s hard to imagine Carsen sticking around for senior year just to be the only real weapon again. Wheeler is looking promising, notwithstanding that last turnover.

Carsen was brilliant, but when he scores 40 and the rest of the team scores 28, there is a problem. Always been a moderate Painter supporter, but I may need to re-examine that perspective.
At the same time, doesn’t that present the best chance to win? I mean, it did almost work. It’s not like there are a wealth of other offensive options. When you’re #2 isn’t hitting, you can go to plans C and D or you can double down on plan A. Granted I’m not a coach but I feel like I’d do the same thing and roll the dice on the latter.

Reactions: rgarlitz
Does Purdue lead the country in red shirting?? And isn’t that a reflection of poor recruiting?

This year 3.
And last year 4 w/Jaq.

Seems like recently we’ve recruited guys who are either super underweight, too overweight, or just flat out unable to generate their own shots. With a 30+ win season, we have to do a better job of securing talent. Hate seeing IU nab up star after star in state and not even do anything with that talent.

Seems like recently we’ve recruited guys who are either super underweight, too overweight, or just flat out unable to generate their own shots. With a 30+ win season, we have to do a better job of securing talent. Hate seeing IU nab up star after star in state and not even do anything with that talent.

I’m glad you hate seeing it, because it gonna keep happening

But, it’s only been happening since Archie Miller took over, 18 months.

Creans last 3 classes had 1 player from Indiana, Grant Gelon

So this is the first year any of that Indiana talent you are talking about has even be on the court, 10 games

Reactions: herrli
I’m glad you hate seeing it, because it gonna keep happening

But, it’s only been happening since Archie Miller took over, 18 months.

Creans last 3 classes had 1 player from Indiana, Grant Gelon

So this is the first year any of that Indiana talent you are talking about has even be on the court, 10 games
Banned and back again, eh. Obsession is a strong impulse.

This team is so frustrating to watch, very little talent besides Carsen, and our defense sucks, constantly over rotate. Feel sorry for Carsen.
To be fair, Carsen’s defensive effort hasn’t been real good all year. He is taking time off on defense and waiting for offense. It is clear when he actually plays defense vs. when he plays poorly and forces his teammates in to poor positions to help. In this game, they began going at Carsen bc they knew he wouldn’t keep them out of the lane and would force help in the lane and a lockout to shooters.

To be fair, Carsen’s defensive effort hasn’t been real good all year. He is taking time off on defense and waiting for offense. It is clear when he actually plays defense vs. when he plays poorly and forces his teammates in to poor positions to help. In this game, they began going at Carsen bc they knew he wouldn’t keep them out of the lane and would force help in the lane and a lockout to shooters.

I guess I could look at it another way. If Carsen gets into foul trouble defending the dribble drive, which isn't hard to do with the new rules, there's no one else to score.

I guess I could look at it another way. If Carsen gets into foul trouble defending the dribble drive, which isn't hard to do with the new rules, there's no one else to score.
EXACTLY!! Carsen has to play timid on defense so he doesn't get in foul trouble.

Too much standing around....guys aren't fighting to get open looks... last year we use to feed the post and kick it back out for open shots. At 7'3 Haarms needs to toughen up and start being a dominate player underneath...Ball movement in general just sux...

So he should just park it at half court? That’s a pathetic excuse for him to not play hard defense

That's not what I said. And I'm not sure I see a total lack of effort on D from him. Not to the extent you're talking. Let's face it though. Who else is going to score?

That's not what I said. And I'm not sure I see a total lack of effort on D from him. Not to the extent you're talking. Let's face it though. Who else is going to score?
He had at least three different instances of just horrific on ball defense that led to easy drives in the lane...which led to a defensive rotation...which led to an open 3.

He has had poor effort on defense because I have seen him actually play top notch defense...within the Texas game even.

He had at least three different instances of just horrific on ball defense that led to easy drives in the lane...which led to a defensive rotation...which led to an open 3.

He has had poor effort on defense because I have seen him actually play top notch defense...within the Texas game even.

Ever think he might be frustrated with this team?

At the same time, doesn’t that present the best chance to win? I mean, it did almost work. It’s not like there are a wealth of other offensive options. When you’re #2 isn’t hitting, you can go to plans C and D or you can double down on plan A. Granted I’m not a coach but I feel like I’d do the same thing and roll the dice on the latter.
If you can lock down the secondary options, even Edwards scoring 40 won't beat you. Teams with length and athleticism can do that. There aren't enough players that can create their own shots and Edwards isn't going to be distributing the ball if he is taking a high number of shots.

It comes down to talent. There isn't enough. Will Painter keep up or fall further behind?

It comes down to talent. There isn't enough. Will Painter keep up or fall further behind?

We all know the answer, he'll figure it out, in a couple of years, but make no mistake, this will be a multi-year dip. And he WILL be afforded the opportunity to wait a few classes to fix it. And this group will be thrown under the bus for not having the right attitude, "we got away from getting Purdue guys" etc. History repeats itself. 2019 & 2020 are downright scary right now.

We all know the answer, he'll figure it out, in a couple of years, but make no mistake, this will be a multi-year dip. And he WILL be afforded the opportunity to wait a few classes to fix it. And this group will be thrown under the bus for not having the right attitude, "we got away from getting Purdue guys" etc. History repeats itself. 2019 & 2020 are downright scary right now.
I don’t know how much time Painter will be given to fix the situation. There’s s new AD and President that seem to have a different mentality than in the past.

Painter had success with graduate transfers. He needs to do that again while recruiting the transfer's replacement

Honest question, how was Ryan cline going 1/10 from 3 painter's fault?
Wait a minute! It’s not Painter’s fault when the team plays poorly and loses, but when the team does well (i.e. Baby Boiler era and Painters associated coach of the year awards), it’s to his credit. That doesn’t make sense to me.

Honest question, how was Ryan cline going 1/10 from 3 painter's fault?
Because other team have already figured out that if they stop Cline and Edwards they have a chance. Cline is shooting contested three's because he thinks he has to. painter need to start opening up the O and running plays for others. I would AW and SS should have some plays run for them to open things up some.

Because other team have already figured out that if they stop Cline and Edwards they have a chance. Cline is shooting contested three's because he thinks he has to. painter need to start opening up the O and running plays for others. I would AW and SS should have some plays run for them to open things up some.
The Haarms slip screen actually seems to work pretty well too. It seems our offense is only based around trying to get a 3 for Carsen or Cline off a ball screen. I think we need to see the ball go into Haarms and EB more on the block. Haarms mid range game has actually looked decent as well.

Half of our shots this year have come from 3. With that offense we are going to struggle when our outside shot is not falling.

Wow, Painter's success has really spoiled you babies. Keep crying and maybe Brad Stevens will feel sorry for us and come coach Purdue.

Reactions: chiboiler7
Moving forward this team is in BIG trouble. Carsen scores 40 points and it was a close game against Texas and we lost. If Carsen would have scored at his average, Purdue would have been blown out by a team that had a 3 game losing streak. Other than Carsen, we do not have any players willing and/or even capable of scoring in bunches against decent teams like Texas, ND and the Big Ten teams, let alone the good teams in the conference. Until we can recruit high 4 star and 5 stars players, I don’t see much improvement the next few years.

Think about this. 1 Player scored 59% of our points. That is an awful team.

Reactions: BNIBoiler
Thank you all...making it so easy to put most of you on ignore for being negative.

Happy Holidays fair weather trash.

Cline's shooting isn't his fault. Failing to put together a roster with a plethora of scorers IS his fault.
If cline goes 3/10 we win and this entire conversation is different. It was a historically bad shooting night for Cline and the team in general.

Painter has successfully recruited scorers. Let me ask you, should he have not redshirted SS and AW last year to give them 1-3 minutes playing time per game to gain experience and be more ready to score this year? Of course not. These two are going to be great scorers for us eventually. But they are FRESHMAN!!! Freshman miss shots and make mistakes! This entire convo is ridiculous. I am very excited about the young players on this team and the players coming in next year.

Cline had plenty of open shots last night, he missed, it happens. Move on!

Thank you all...making it so easy to put most of you on ignore for being negative.

Happy Holidays fair weather trash.
It is hard to be positive when you only have 1 player capable of scoring points. Hard to win games like that. If Carsen doesn’t score 40 points, we get blown out by some jive team like Texas.

As I stated above, I have always been a moderate Painter supporter, and still am. He is a Purdue guy and has had success in the Big Ten. His NCAA tournament recored is lukewarm. Several Sweet 16's and that's it. Injuries to Hummell and Haas could have made him a FF coach at least once and maybe twice. The injuries were beyond his control. His recruiting has and is a topic of conversation. Why elite kids don't want to come to Purdue is beyond me, and I don't blame all of that on Painter. He is going after some of the blue chippers but outside of Biggie, has missed so far. Don't know why. I think Painter is honest with the kids and parents, as he should be. That probably isn't the case elsewhere. He runs a clean program, players graduate and his former players seem to really care about him. I will admit I am frustrated this year, and it takes a lot to get me that way. Our offense is too horizontal and 3pt oriented. CE is great but he needs help and balance. That is where Painter needs to work with this team.

If cline goes 3/10 we win and this entire conversation is different. It was a historically bad shooting night for Cline and the team in general.

Painter has successfully recruited scorers. Let me ask you, should he have not redshirted SS and AW last year to give them 1-3 minutes playing time per game to gain experience and be more ready to score this year? Of course not. These two are going to be great scorers for us eventually. But they are FRESHMAN!!! Freshman miss shots and make mistakes! This entire convo is ridiculous. I am very excited about the young players on this team and the players coming in next year.
If Carsen doesn't go for a career high on very efficient shooting, we lose the game in a blowout. See how that works? Cline shot well below his average, but Carsen shot well above his.

Not sure why you are asking me about redshirting Sasha and Wheeler. Both are role players. My point was that we have 1 great player. The rest of the team is filled with role players. Recruiting misses are the reason we don't have multiple Big Ten caliber players on the roster. Not having multiple go to options will cost us a lot of games this season.

This team looks like a bubble team. We lose 3 starters off this team including our only two double digit scorers. We bring in a forward that will need to redshirt, a low ranked PG, and a SG who should be able to make up for losing Cline. Unless we get some big time grad transfer we are looking at bottom 4 in the conference next year. Pair that with missing the tournament this year, and Painter needs to be gone.

Reactions: bonefish1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT