ADVERTISEMENT

Utah State v. Purdue - Game Thread (2024 NCAA Tournament, Midwest Region - round of 32)

Very odd that Painter chose the ncaa toueney 1st round game to commit to colvin and heide rather than way earlier, but better late than never.
Let’s be honest, for a lot of the season Colvin wasn’t playing defense, it happens, he’s coming on late which is great. I said this earlier, he’s a day 1 starter next year.

Reactions: Bippus33
TKR, Heide, Loyer, Braden, and Colvin looks like an awesome starting 5 already. No Seniors either!!!

Adding a huge talented incoming class plus more development of Berg and we are going to once again be a top 20 team from day one.
I posted the same lineup on another site, that’s a good looking group. Add in Berg, Catchings, Harris, that’s a good 8, move Furst back to the 4 and maybe he contributes as well, that’s a good 9 not counting the other Frosh, probably 2 redshirt. I realize that a scholie may not be available for Waddell, hope he sticks around as a walk on, if he earns good NIL money maybe he sticks around?

2 4-seeds are out, Kansas and Auburn.

Yes - the #5 seeds will replace them (San Diego State and Gonzaga), so still close to top-seed.

Looking like EAST (1,2,3, and 5), WEST (1,2,4, and 6), MIDWEST (1,2,3, and 5), and SOUTH (1,2,4, and 11).

Can't recall last time I saw that much chalk in the Regionals.

Conference breakdown:

ACC - (4)
Big East (3)
SEC - (2)
Big Ten (2)
Big XII (2)
Pac-12 (1)
West Coast (1)
Mountain West (1)

Last edited:
I don't see Furst leaving now that his brother joined the team. I don't see Waddell leaving as he is a legacy player. The only player who possibly could return (Zach is gone, played his way into the 1st round - Morton isn't going to be invited back) is Gillis since he is already working on his MBA, but I don't think there is space. He will hit the portal and play one more year. Hopefully out of the conference as I don't want to play him.

I would have said TKR but he should be able to see a clear path to playing time so he will be "the man" inside next year. Doubt he leaves. Colvin might be jaded with not enough PT and Heide ahead of him on the depth chart but he also is a legacy player so I doubt it.

I really don't know. Berg maybe? (I hope not) - I'm more apt to say someone like Furst or Waddell stays but gives up the scholarship. I don't really have an answer otherwise.

But it's too early to start putting true freshman into next year's starting lineup. Not until they step on campus and start hitting the weight room and the practice floor. We have a starting six right now, if a Freshman becomes the starter they are going to be a superstar.
Myles will be here next year…if he makes that sophomore leap…..after that who knows

Yes - the #5 seeds will replace them (San Diego State and Gonzaga), so still close to top-seed.

Looking like EAST (1,2,3, and 5), WEST (1,2,4, and 6), MIDWEST (1,2,3, and 5), and SOUTH (1,2,4, and 11).

Can't recall last time I saw that much chalk in the Regionals.

I saw something posted earlier this year (I wish I still had it) that said usually after a crazy year in the NCAAT, the following year is a lot more chalky. Seems to be following suit this year so far.

I will openly admit TKR played well next to Edey today. Hasn’t been the norm really, but glad that was the plan today for sure.
Seriously? Trey has played his role perfectly all year. It’s rough being the guy in the shadow of the NPOTY x2. But we see Trey step up when Zach is out or playing defense on the more mobile big. He is an ox down low and tough to contain. Just because he doesn’t put up 15 and 7 doesn’t mean he hasn’t been good all year.

He is going to be great next year and score more without Zach there.

Loved this moment with Lance Jones.......

8ke26i.gif

Its like all rock stars want to be athletes and all athletes want to be rock stars....all guards want to be big men and all big men want to be guards. lol

Lance was the best JUCO transfer ever, and that includes Carl Landry who made the NBA.

Let’s be honest, for a lot of the season Colvin wasn’t playing defense, it happens, he’s coming on late which is great. I said this earlier, he’s a day 1 starter next year.
You are right but I still think he needed more time to try to play good defense in games. In the end its looking moot as he is being used now when it matters most and has shown up. Lets hope it continues.

Im sure everyone will disagree here because seeing what some people post on here a round 1 loss would have been met with a pat on the back and a great job painter we'll get em next time, but 1 more win would guarantee this not being a disappointing ending. Getting 2 wins and in the final 4 will make this a history making season IMO. Anything past that makes it legendary.

Just beat Gonzaga and everything after that is icing IMO.

You are right but I still think he needed more time to try to play good defense in games. In the end its looking moot as he is being used now when it matters most and has shown up. Lets hope it continues.

Im sure everyone will disagree here because seeing what some people post on here a round 1 loss would have been met with a pat on the back and a great job painter we'll get em next time, but 1 more win would guarantee this not being a disappointing ending. Getting 2 wins and in the final 4 will make this a history making season IMO. Anything past that makes it legendary.

You make a good point, he probably did deserve a few more minutes a game for sure, maybe that was Matt’s way of letting him know he expected more? Anyways, good post!

Reactions: krazychicagod

No one would have been satisfied with a round 1 loss…like what??

I don't see Furst leaving now that his brother joined the team. I don't see Waddell leaving as he is a legacy player. The only player who possibly could return (Zach is gone, played his way into the 1st round - Morton isn't going to be invited back) is Gillis since he is already working on his MBA, but I don't think there is space. He will hit the portal and play one more year. Hopefully out of the conference as I don't want to play him.

I would have said TKR but he should be able to see a clear path to playing time so he will be "the man" inside next year. Doubt he leaves. Colvin might be jaded with not enough PT and Heide ahead of him on the depth chart but he also is a legacy player so I doubt it.

I really don't know. Berg maybe? (I hope not) - I'm more apt to say someone like Furst or Waddell stays but gives up the scholarship. I don't really have an answer otherwise.

But it's too early to start putting true freshman into next year's starting lineup. Not until they step on campus and start hitting the weight room and the practice floor. We have a starting six right now, if a Freshman becomes the starter they are going to be a superstar.
Some freshmen are going to get major minutes if not out of the gate, very soon in the season. Kanon has enough talent he could start "IF" he plays all the time as able. However, Matt may need to bring him along slowly...dependng maybe on D? He can be very impressive. Purdue may lose some games early (haven't seen the schedule) but think they will surprise some people. I don't think Jacobson gets a lot of minutes and may shirt and get stronger, but he offers a lot of potential as well. Purdue will have 3 juniors (Braden,Fletcher,Trey) and two sophomores (Myles, Cam) that we know are good. How will Berg and Brian be next fall? I also hold hope for Caleb as a senior and a bit quicker game to have a better year.

He's at the top with Chuckie White for me. Both showed a pure joy on the court to be Boilermakers.
I didnt realize Chuckie was a transfer. I started at Purdue in 1990 and before that I was a OSU fan being from Ohio. Awesome, I loved Chuckie, Jimmy Oliver and Woody Austin were my favorites from that team, later I would get to know Ian Stanback and Matt Painter personally through mutual friends. (both were super nice).

Memories for sure.

I didnt realize Chuckie was a transfer. I started at Purdue in 1990 and before that I was a OSU fan being from Ohio. Awesome, I loved Chuckie, Jimmy Oliver and Woody Austin were my favorites from that team, later I would get to know Ian Stanback and Matt Painter personally through mutual friends. (both were super nice).

Memories for sure.
Chuckle was a JUCO transfer. I figured you were rolling all transfers together.

Reactions: Lee3370
Chuckle was a JUCO transfer. I figured you were rolling all transfers together.

I was, I just didnt remember or have an idea. Chuckie came over before i was a fan, the internet wasnt really a thing or a thing with sports info on it, lol...so i just didnt realize or it didnt register as a transfer. I still have Lance over Chuckie though.....i will say i was a student for the entire Glenn Robinson era and even played in a 3 on 3 tournament that Big Dog entered as a student when he was a freshman Prop 48 kid. I have no shame in admitting that Robinson was a better player than me, lol

Its like all rock stars want to be athletes and all athletes want to be rock stars....all guards want to be big men and all big men want to be guards. lol

Lance was the best JUCO transfer ever, and that includes Carl Landry who made the NBA.
Lance wasn't a JUCO.....

Yes many of you would have rationalized it and put down anyone that couldnt just enjoy the great regular season. Ive already seen it said here.
Big difference between having long term perspective and rationalizing. You don't seem to understand how completely unhinged your takes are sometimes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT