ADVERTISEMENT

Unanimous #1 in Coaches Poll...

When you consider a WEAK B1G, a victory over Purdue with an ok record will be a possible ticket to the ncaat.

Conference could have as low as 3-4 bids the way the "supposed" top schools keep getting beat. Thus teams like NE, R, MN, W & NW will go all out to get a P win. MSU, M and ILL are tough venues if we play there. Throw in the notorious crooked B10 ref$ & gambling you have several land mines we have to get over.

Last edited:
When you consider a WEAK B1G, a victory over Purdue with an ok record will be a possible ticket to the ncaat.

Conference could have as low as 3-4 bids the way the "supposed" top schools keep getting beat. Thus teams like NE, R, MN, W & NW will go all out to win. MSU, M and ILL are tough venues if we play there. Throw in the notorious crooked B10 ref$ & gambling you have several land mines we have to get over.
I'll be surprised if there is less than 6 and it is not based upon anything other than the Big fan base and traveling money. I have no idea how many are in the top 64, but was thinking there were 4 in the top 30. Still, I know what you are saying does not look good at this time as far as the top 25 or so, but wonder how many are in the 40 to 64 bracket to get in 6 or so? There will be landmines for certain

I'll be surprised if there is less than 6 and it is not based upon anything other than the Big fan base and traveling money. I have no idea how many are in the top 64, but was thinking there were 4 in the top 30. Still, I know what you are saying does not look good at this time as far as the top 25 or so, but wonder how many are in the 40 to 64 bracket to get in 6 or so? There will be landmines for certain
Kenpom rankings as of today
Purdue 2
MSU 20
Wiscy 24
OSU 25
Illinois 27
Iowa 40
Nebby 46
Mich 54
MD 57
NW 60
Rutgers 62
indinia 75
PSU 95
Sota 136

Big s been overrated playing mug the other team basketball, they come out of the Big Ten season and have to play fast and furious and they enter the tournament tired IMHO rather have 1 less game and no tournament and rest to be ready for March to be honest

• Love
Reactions: drewjin
Yeah. I’m guessing that the Big Ten gets 7 bids once everything sorts out.

Reactions: drewjin and tjreese
So

Conference could have as low as 3-4 bids the way the "supposed" top schools keep getting beat. Thus teams like NE, R, MN, W & NW will go all out to get a P win. MSU, M and ILL are tough venues if we play there. Throw in the notorious crooked B10 ref$ & gambling you have several land mines we have to get over.
True nobody wants to complain about the refs but they do all they can to even out the score. It will start at northwestern. We are the best but they will beat the he'll out of zach.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
So

True nobody wants to complain about the refs but they do all they can to even out the score. It will start at northwestern. We are the best but they will beat the he'll out of zach.
The "no harm no foul" rule doesn't apply anymore. Zach's arms will be scarred and bloodied again after playing NW.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Purdue 2
MSU 20
Wiscy 24
OSU 25
Illinois 27
Iowa 40
Nebby 46
Mich 54
MD 57
NW 60
Rutgers 62
indinia 75
PSU 95
Sota 136
Thank you. Well, 6 may be low then.

Thank you. Well, 6 may be low then.
With that way to early ranking system, 6-7 is about right. Auto bids make only the top 40-45 teams get in. There are 32 auto bids, most of them outside thhe top 45 of computer rankings. But we will see, the pre conferennce schedule isnt even done.

With that way to early ranking system, 6-7 is about right. Auto bids make only the top 40-45 teams get in. There are 32 auto bids, most of them outside thhe top 45 of computer rankings. But we will see, the pre conferennce schedule isnt even done.
Yes, 6 would be low 10 years from now. Big will get an auto bid (Purdue in BTT) and probably allow another team. We might even see 8...we shall see.

Purdue 2
MSU 20
Wiscy 24
OSU 25
Illinois 27
Iowa 40
Nebby 46
Mich 54
MD 57
NW 60
Rutgers 62
indinia 75
PSU 95
Sota 136

B1G looks better here as of NOW.

Perhaps I am way wrong on # of ncaat teams; we will see, after losses stack up. Thanks.

Last edited:
Nebraska's metrics are inflated by their customary dookie shoes level noncon scheduling (currently 344 in KP).

Reactions: drewjin
I think anyone below Illinois better find a signature non conference win or finish top 4 in the conference if they want to get in

Per barttorvik's TourneyCast, based on 10,000 simulation od the season, only 5 B1G teams have a better than 50% chance of making the NCAAT at this point. And after Purdue, MSU has the highest seed in the conference with an average of a 6 seed.

MSU, OSU, Nebraska, Wisconsin are the teams above 50% at this early point in the season. Purdue is at 100% and has the highest average seed.

And the best wins for the B1G outside of Purdue (who owns the 3 best wins, by far):

Wisconsin over Virginia (N)
Ohio Dtate over Alabama (N)
MSU over Butler (H)
Purdue over Xavier (H)

And that's about it

I don't think Purdue has really played to its ability yet. I think Purdue did well so far, but I see some improvement that can be made and the potential for growth in Trey working with Zach, Cam/Myles growing, Lance understanding the difference in good shots and bad and FT shooting by many. Then you can reduce turnovers, dribble contain better and not foul jump shooters off the top of my head.

That said for as good as Purdue has been, they haven't peaked in reaching their potential and I just think this group is a bit different than the previous two

I don't think Purdue has really played to its ability yet. I think Purdue did well so far, but I see some improvement that can be made and the potential for growth in Trey working with Zach, Cam/Myles growing, Lance understanding the difference in good shots and bad and FT shooting by many. Then you can reduce turnovers, dribble contain better and not foul jump shooters off the top of my head.

That said for as good as Purdue has been, they haven't peaked in reaching their potential and I just think this group is a bit different than the previous two
Agree - have to shoot better from the line, get Heide and Colvin some valuable minutes between now and March, have Furst hit the easy buckets he’s missing and maybe play a bit more up tempo when we can. Like to see more of what we saw to start the second half vs the Zags.

Let’s hope you’re right and we don’t peak until mid Feb and play our best ball into March

Let’s hope you’re right and we don’t peak until mid Feb and play our best ball into March
If Purdue peaks before mid Feb which I don't think will happen it will be because Lance/Cam/Myles have not grown...or already grew their game a bunch before. I think Cam/Myles especially grow throughout the season and are X factors in teh tourney.

Last edited:

If Purdue peaks before mid Feb which I don't think will happen it will be because Lance/Cam/Myles have not grown...or already grew there game a bunch before. I think Cam/Myles especially grow throughout the season and are X factors in teh tourney.
They will not peak early this year - sophomore starting guards now, Edey may be better than last year if that’s even possible, TKR already looks more comfortable and hopefully can hit his FTs, Morton not starting but playing his role on D, Jones adds a ton defensively and can really push the ball up the court, Heide and Colvin athletes off the bench, Gillis and Furst will have their moments and Smith and Loyer can win games for us.

They will not peak early this year - sophomore starting guards now, Edey may be better than last year if that’s even possible, TKR already looks more comfortable and hopefully can hit his FTs, Morton not starting but playing his role on D, Jones adds a ton defensively and can really push the ball up the court, Heide and Colvin athletes off the bench, Gillis and Furst will have their moments and Smith and Loyer can win games for us.
Hey I agree, I just am trying not to be too overly excited and hold back any emotions until I see that we are in the second weekend of the tourney….but tbh I’m ready to be hurt again, it’s ok 😂 😂

And just think, if we can find mid-20 minutes for Berg, he projects to 24 ppg and 12 rpg. He and Waddell are great insurance policies.

And just think, if we can find mid-20 minutes for Berg, he projects to 24 ppg and 12 rpg. He and Waddell are great insurance policies.
I wish he could do that but he isn’t doing 24 and 12 in 20 mins…maybe 6 and 3-4….at least this year that is. He’s got a ways to go.

Reactions: mediaexpert

I 100% agree. They have not played as well as I think they can. Cutting turnovers and making Free throws at a good clip would make a huge difference. Perimeter shooting comes and goes. If Purdue is hot from three, good no issues. If they are not, find another way to score, most likely at the line. Funny how it always comes back to the basics.

Last edited:
Reactions: tjreese
I 100% agree. They have not played as well as I think they can. Cutting turnovers and making Free throughs at a good clip would make a huge difference. Perimeter shooting comes and goes. If Purdue is hot from three, good no issues. If they are not, find another way to score, most likely at the line. Funny how it always comes back to the basics.

You are 100% right on.....Basics ...
Free Throws, limit TOs, and hit the easy ones.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT