ADVERTISEMENT

U.S. Olympic Basketball

Did you not like Embiid playing for the US then too?

And what if GiCarri made the Mexico team and played in the Olympics for them?
I have to admit that I have no idea who Gabby Williams is. Would she have made the US team? If not, and she had the opportunity to participate in the Olympics for another country, I have a hard time faulting her for it.

Andy, I know you are a BIG breakdancing guy
bear GIF
Haha. How did that video get leaked?

Truthfully, I enjoy watching good breakdancing. It just isn't a sport, IMHO.

I have to admit that I have no idea who Gabby Williams is. Would she have made the US team? If not, and she had the opportunity to participate in the Olympics for another country, I have a hard time faulting her for it.
Who knows, they didn’t take Caitlin Clark. She is very talented I think she was defensive player of year and runner up different years but left thr wnba a couple years ago because she says it didn’t pay well enough and went to play for Istanbul. She was the 4th overall pick in 2018. I agree, if she could not make team USA I wouldn’t hold this against her.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
U.S. with 12 NBA players barely beats Serbia, (4 NBA players) and France (4 NBA players). Embid could have played with France. The U.S. players have not kept up with the improvement of the International players. 4 USA NBA MVP's to 1 for Serbia. I doubt if US wins the next gold medal if this continues.

U.S. with 12 NBA players barely beats Serbia, (4 NBA players) and France (4 NBA players). Embid could have played with France. The U.S. players have not kept up with the improvement of the International players. 4 USA NBA MVP's to 1 for Serbia. I doubt if US wins the next gold medal if this continues.
And you still want to send the JV ?

Just think if we hadn't sent LeBron, Durant and Curry and instead sent players who have never won gold before for the experience.

My thoughts are you should send the nba champions rather than a group of all stars. Sometimes we have too many stars and not enough role players.
Wole, you and I are old enough to remember a time when the NCAA CHAMPS could have probably won gold. Think '76 IU (Ok, don't think too much!) or '72 UCLA ( especially if Walton doesn't boycott) or '68 UCLA, or....

Wole, you and I are old enough to remember a time when the NCAA CHAMPS could have probably won gold. Think '76 IU (Ok, don't think too much!) or '72 UCLA ( especially if Walton doesn't boycott) or '68 UCLA, or....
I’m old enough to remember when it was college players because no professional athlete was allowed to compete

Reactions: BBG and BoilerAndy
But do you really believe that sending less experienced players will guarantee a better performance?

Can't guarantee that, but at some point the US is going to have to play team ball to compete. Watching Durant, Curry, James, and Embid go one on one almost all the time is going to eventually result in losing. They just barely survived Serbia and France. I'm not convinced that a better style of basketball wouldn't have won.

Can't guarantee that, but at some point the US is going to have to play team ball to compete. Watching Durant, Curry, James, and Embid go one on one almost all the time is going to eventually result in losing. They just barely survived Serbia and France. I'm not convinced that a better style of basketball wouldn't have won.
But they did win and have won a lot. Do they need to win by double digits every time for them to be “good”?

I don’t know the answer to this, but how often do the Serbians and French play together as a national team? Are those same players brought up from the young age in The same system and get to play together for quite a few years?

I know the US team:

1. Doesn’t always take our best players (as some opt out…wasn’t this curry’s first Olympics??)

2. The team is just put together and they don’t have 10-15 years of playing with one another

3. The Olympic youth system isn’t really a focus/have the same guys as the other countries…unless I’m wrong there?

Also, international teams/players are getting/are really good due to the exposure of the 92 dream team and the nba

Reactions: BBG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT