ADVERTISEMENT

Truly feel IU is NOT…

pboiler18

All-American
May 13, 2014
More talented than us but it’s pretty obvious that coaching means a lot to their success.

People on here over the summer got too tied up in recruiting rankings of this coach, recruiting rankings of the previous coach and not focused on the actual on field results.

Most every FBS team has enough talent to win 6…the true difference is what is the staff doing scheme wise to get the most out of what they do have?

• Haha
Reactions: Bippus33 and ulrey
Agree completely that coaching is the main difference. IU may be more talented. I can't claim that I know that much about their roster. But I think their coach knows who he is and what he wants to do. He knows what he needs to do what he wants to do and doesn't need 4-star talent at every position to succeed. If I'm not mistaken, he brought alot with him from JMU. That's what we had with Tiller and Brohm.

More talented than us but it’s pretty obvious that coaching means a lot to their success.

People on here over the summer got too tied up in recruiting rankings of this coach, recruiting rankings of the previous coach and not focused on the actual on field results.

Most every FBS team has enough talent to win 6…the true difference is what is the staff doing scheme wise to get the most out of what they do have?
Wouldn't be the first time that people have complained about recruiting rankings on here.

If we get someone that is not in the Rivals Top 75 in basketball, people are ready to say that Painter cannot recruit.

Agree completely that coaching is the main difference. IU may be more talented. I can't claim that I know that much about their roster. But I think their coach knows who he is and what he wants to do. He knows what he needs to do what he wants to do and doesn't need 4-star talent at every position to succeed. If I'm not mistaken, he brought alot with him from JMU. That's what we had with Tiller and Brohm.
His team is disciplined. Ours is … not.

The problem with recruiting ratings is when coaches boost their ratings with a lot of high ranked players at the same position. Brohm loved high ranked receivers. Walters loved high ranked defensive backs. Every Purdue coach loves highly ranked Qbs. The problem is a lot of these highly ranked players never play a down for Purdue.

Purdue coaches also have the wrong priorities when recruiting. Rather than recruiting highly ranked skilled position players, their #1 recruiting priority should be players in the trenches.

We have watched it for over a decade. Purdue stays close for 3 quarters and has nothing left for the last quarter. And they get run over by teams with stronger and better players in the trenches.

Ask yourself is the lack of quality linemen? Is it lack of conditioning? Or is it the lack of coaching?

Look at Indiana high schools. In the last decade there have been a lot of great offensive linemen that went to division 1 schools. None of them went to Purdue. If Purdue can attract a 4/5 star quarterback why can’t they attract an elite lineman? Answer: they don’t try!

The problem with recruiting ratings is when coaches boost their ratings with a lot of high ranked players at the same position. Brohm loved high ranked receivers. Walters loved high ranked defensive backs. Every Purdue coach loves highly ranked Qbs. The problem is a lot of these highly ranked players never play a down for Purdue.

Purdue coaches also have the wrong priorities when recruiting. Rather than recruiting highly ranked skilled position players, their #1 recruiting priority should be players in the trenches.

We have watched it for over a decade. Purdue stays close for 3 quarters and has nothing left for the last quarter. And they get run over by teams with stronger and better players in the trenches.

Ask yourself is the lack of quality linemen? Is it lack of conditioning? Or is it the lack of coaching?

Look at Indiana high schools. In the last decade there have been a lot of great offensive linemen that went to division 1 schools. None of them went to Purdue. If Purdue can attract a 4/5 star quarterback why can’t they attract an elite lineman? Answer: they don’t try!
Wrong wrong wrong. We offer and spend a lot of time recruiting indiana OL. We do have Gus hartwig, the top indiana OL from 2020 and there was only one other great OL from that class from indiana which we also offered, he was another OC and we worked it hard but we were only going to get one of them. 2021 we recruited the OL recruits really hard it was a point of emphasis on this class for brohm. Even to a fault. Blake fisher went to ND, another guy went to OSU, sales got caught up in the McCulley mess but eventually transferred to Purdue, we pushed really hard for collinsworth but went to Cincy, but we did get the next 3. I can go on and on. You seem to think they all go to wisconsin and Iowa but I think those schools combined have 1 OL from indiana and he’s not good.

You say we got none of them, 2 of our OL starters we recruited out of indiana high schools…

Reactions: BBG
I'm not here to downplay the success they are having right away with this new coach, they are 5-0 and have two conference wins already, but I do think some perspective is needed. If we played their non con schedule, we'd have been 3-0 hosting Nebraska. And maybe Harrell is fired in November rather than September lol

Seriously though, what a smart move buying out of that Louisville game and avoiding an early L for the new coach. Purdue may want to start looking at bailing on some future games on the schedule.

Indiana is probably still more talented thanks to the portal. Those JMU dudes are good. Indiana has one of the best WR/RB rooms in the conference. That along with a good system is leading to wins so far. 21 rushing TDs by 8 guys and 12 receiving TDs by 7 guys. It's just been that kind of year so far. How far will it continue? No clue. But just need one more win for bowl eligibility. At that point, playing with house money.

I'm not at all sold we would be 3-0 with their schedule or any other. We are certainly in the running for worst P5 team and there are many G5 teams that would likely beat us handily as well. Let alone us getting two conference wins like they already have.

I'm not here to downplay the success they are having right away with this new coach, they are 5-0 and have two conference wins already, but I do think some perspective is needed. If we played their non con schedule, we'd have been 3-0 hosting Nebraska. And maybe Harrell is fired in November rather than September lol

Seriously though, what a smart move buying out of that Louisville game and avoiding an early L for the new coach. Purdue may want to start looking at bailing on some future games on the schedule.
If there's anything they did that we should replicate it would be hire an experienced head coach with a track record of success.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler

We would be 3-2 with their schedule, at best.

Reactions: TC4THREE

The Louisville game was bought out when Allen was still coaching to get him to 6 wins.

Reactions: TC4THREE
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT