ADVERTISEMENT

Trouble Williams.

C'ville Boiler

True Freshman
Sep 15, 2011
What is your gut on where he goes? And what time is he supposed to commit? Also, that seems like an odd top 5 for an elite receiver. Obviously Purdue is awesome and West Virginia has been good but IU, Syracuse and Cincy? I would have figured Michigan and Michigan State or even Kentucky instead of those

What is your gut on where he goes? And what time is he supposed to commit? Also, that seems like an odd top 5 for an elite receiver. Obviously Purdue is awesome and West Virginia has been good but IU, Syracuse and Cincy? I would have figured Michigan and Michigan State or even Kentucky instead of those

The top five is honestly the only thing that has me worried. Purdue has by far and away the best offense, but the other teams, outside of WVU, have nothing in front of him. It shows that he wants to start early and often. Though I think he is a day one contributor, if he did commit and somehow falls back in the rotation (which I don’t see happening), he would go.

Picking IU would be a mistake for him. It isn’t a good offense and although he would start immediately, I really do believe he would get better numbers at Purdue.

No Bat signal, so.....

Oh well. If there’s one position I’m not losing sleep over, it’s WR.
I agree but if he’s as good as he’s rated then he shouldn’t be afraid of competition. The guys he would be mainly competing with are only a year older and not proven yet. I’m excluding Rondale Moore because he’s a different animal all together

Reactions: Boilermaker24
Interesting. I understand why he wouldn't want to come here, but I don't understand why he would want to go there.

My guess is that IU gave him the keys to the car. Unfortunately it’s a ‘94 Ford Fiesta with racing stripes, but it is still his car.

Brohm loves competition and the best players are going to play. Purdue had a huge haul last year, and if you aren’t willing to come in and compete then you are probably best off someplace else. There is a reason his top 5 didn’t include MSU, UM, OSU. It was a little concerning when the rumblings started with IU. If you got that dawg in you, you don’t mind the competition. I hope the best for him, but I think he just made a pretty big mistake. New OC or not.

he wanted to be the MAIN man. That wasn't going to happen at Purdue for another 3 years, even if then. and with Moore, Bell and Wright, that's going to be the case for a lot of these elite receivers.

Sure, he'd get immediate playing time at Purdue. but he'd have to share the spotlight. and that's obviously not what he wanted. he said that immediate playing time was a factor. Obviously, the IU coach told him that he would be IU's answer to Moore.

I guess he can always change his mind after the bucket game.

but as Moore, Wright and bell excel, we shall see more elite receivers signing elsewhere for a chance to become their own star rather than being a second banana.

Don't blame him if he wanted to be the main guy. Was never going to be that here at least his freshman year.

Isn't that what they said when Moore committed?

And Williams re-opens his recruiting in 3, 2, 1...

I'll be surprised if he actually stays committed once this season plays out. Looking at iu's schedule - I see at most 2 wins in conference at home vs. Rutgers and Northwestern. Their non conference is Ball State, Eastern Illinois, and UCONN. I see them losing at least one of those.

We'll see if this young man stays committed to a 4 win team whose coach is probably on his way out after this season.

Reactions: DAG10
I have a related take. With an elite athlete, I believe they believe they can start immediately at any school. They do not fear competition. However. I believe unless your school is Alabama or OSU, elite athletes want to be the main man and not want to share the reps with other elite athletes.

Williams can go to a place like IU and hall down 80 passes and 1,000 yards and 10+ TDs. With Moore, bell, Wright and the rest, if he came to Purdue, he may play, but for the next 3 years, he'd be lucky to get 40 catches and 600 yards. you talk about guys like bell and Wright being unproven. Well, they'll be proven by the time he arrives.

and then there is the talk about elite athletes having the confidence to come in and be an immediate starter ? admittedly, he's not a slot receiver. but if he was, do you honestly believe brohm would give him a chance to start over Moore? and if Bell is as good as people say he is, he'll become an impact player this year, and do you honestly believe brohm would star an incoming freshman over Bell if bell is coming off a 50 catch season?

if an elite receiver wants immediate playing time, unfortunately, Purdue would not currently be their first choice. And until purdue becomes a national championship contender, most elite athletes are not willing to wait 3+ years before they get their chance to be the main man.

look at Moore. if he had gone to OSU or Alabama, do you truly believe he would have been able to put up the stats he did last year? At purdue, he was given the opportunity to shine. I have to believe that's what Williams thinks will happen at IU.

and as I said, he can always change his mind.

Reactions: Henry_Rosenthal
And Williams re-opens his recruiting in 3, 2, 1...

I'll be surprised if he actually stays committed once this season plays out. Looking at iu's schedule - I see at most 2 wins in conference at home vs. Rutgers and Northwestern. Their non conference is Ball State, Eastern Illinois, and UCONN. I see them losing at least one of those.

We'll see if this young man stays committed to a 4 win team whose coach is probably on his way out after this season.

I totally agree with this. However, I'm not so sure he would choose Purdue. I think MSU, OSU, Mich, or Nebraska or an SEC team may try to steal him away.

Isn't that what they said when Moore committed?

Except Brohm had a track record for have a big time explosive offense leading in big plays. Brohm was known as an offensive genius. Although their new OC has had some success at Fresno and Eastern Michigan, he is far from proven. Maybe he will be fine or maybe he flops. Considering that it’s IU, the safe money is on flop.

Except Brohm had a track record for have a big time explosive offense leading in big plays. Brohm was known as an offensive genius. Although their new OC has had some success at Fresno and Eastern Michigan, he is far from proven. Maybe he will be fine or maybe he flops. Considering that it’s IU, the safe money is on flop.
Not to downplay what you said, because Purdue undeniably has the more promising offense right now, but I’d say people are cautiously optimistic on the IU offense. Our new OC has had success everywhere he’s gone and between Penix and Tuttle we have the ability to throw out a big armed quarterback who can make every throw.

Would be cool to have a guy with the name "Trouble" at WR on the team. That being said, Purdue is high on some other highly talented WRs as well. I would think whomever we land at WR in this year's class will be a high 3-star/4-star guy.

Reactions: KentuckyBoiler
Not to downplay what you said, because Purdue undeniably has the more promising offense right now, but I’d say people are cautiously optimistic on the IU offense. Our new OC has had success everywhere he’s gone and between Penix and Tuttle we have the ability to throw out a big armed quarterback who can make every throw.

Fresno and Eastern Michigan didn’t have to play Michigan, OSU, and MSU every year. There is no doubt he will be better than what they had, but again, if IU gets Rofl stomped this year, Allen will be on the hot seat. I would be surprised if Allen last more than 2 more years, especially if Glass gets the deserved boot. IU has talent and talented young guys coming in. It’s just most of it is on the defense and Trouble is taking a pretty big leap of faith considering Purdue is proven and IU is loaded with question marks.

as I said in another thread, I believe it's possible he could change his mind. At this point, IU looks like a good fit. however, he won't sign until after the season is over. if IU's new OC doesn't come through on his promises, and the IU offense is a flop this year, I believe Trouble may look elsewhere.

Although by that time, we may found a new WR and may no longer be interested.

Just think how bad IU's offense may be if Cronk leaves for black and golder pastures. Mayhem may happen.

Good for him. We have a lot of competition at WR, so I understand going to a school without that. He surely thinks he is the piece that puts that team over the top. I don’t think anyone can, but we will see.

I do like Deboer over Debord for sure but neither Penix nor Tuttle are proven. I think that's the biggest knock on them. You guys also lose quite a bit on the O-line just like Purdue.

Deboer was the head coach for 3 time national NAIA champion Souix Falls then took E Mich from 111th to 35 in total offense , then took Fresno from 120 to 47th in total offense. That's pretty proven. And it gets back to the original question when he got Moore, people like your buddy were saying the same thing. And speaking of far from proven, Purdue has had some quick success but 63-14 was a stopper.

IU has been trying to schedule themselves into bowls for decades, it never works. They don't play a Power 5 team in the non-conference until 2023. That's embarrassing, and what's even more embarrassing is that the weak scheduling won't work and they'll still be sitting at home during bowl season.

Deboer was the head coach for 3 time national NAIA champion Souix Falls then took E Mich from 111th to 35 in total offense , then took Fresno from 120 to 47th in total offense. That's pretty proven. And it gets back to the original question when he got Moore, people like your buddy were saying the same thing. And speaking of far from proven, Purdue has had some quick success but 63-14 was a stopper.

We also destroyed OSU on national television. In 2 quick years, Purdue passed IU after the worst 4-year stretch in our history. Think about that for a second. IU finally thought they had built something with Wilson, we’re recruiting well, and then Brohm comes in and says nope.

Aren't you guys sticking with a guy that can't throw it deeper than 15 yards? If he doesn't take Ramsey out and bring in a more prolific passer. I will assume Williams looks at another destination.

plain and simple. he wanted to be the MAIN MAN. regardless of record, or which team is better, that wasn't going to happen for him at Purdue.

I also think it's possible with the new red shirt rule, we may see a couple of our new receivers play a couple of games, and then redshirt.

as for QBs, I noticed IU is also recruiting a couple of nice QBs. one is a familiar name - Prater. I'm not so sure we should be dissing IU so much. it's not like they're Rutgers or Ellen's noise!

as for QBs, I noticed IU is also recruiting a couple of nice QBs. one is a familiar name - Prater. I'm not so sure we should be dissing IU so much. it's not like they're Rutgers or Ellen's noise!
Yes, we should. They had their chance under the DH years and didn't utilize their opportunities. We have Brohm now and our future looks brighter. IMO

Aren't you guys sticking with a guy that can't throw it deeper than 15 yards? If he doesn't take Ramsey out and bring in a more prolific passer. I will assume Williams looks at another destination.
Quarterback battle is still ongoing. Penix is recovering from a torn ACL and probably won't be full go until fall camp.

Quarterback battle is still ongoing. Penix is recovering from a torn ACL and probably won't be full go until fall camp.
That would be best for IU. Not knocking Ramsey but he isn't the future. I would think Tuttle or Penix just because of Ramsey's lack of arm strength. We know you better be able to throw down field or have a Moore type player to be a play maker.

As long as Allen is leading the way at IU, I won’t be the least bit concerned about where we stand relative to them. As for their new OC, he’ll be gone if he has any success. Hart would have left last year given the chance.
I’d agree with the poster above that mentioned how hard IU has tried to schedule their way to a bowl. It’s amazing that they haven’t been able to capitalize. Wilson got them to 2 straight and somehow Allen was able to kill that momentum.

Brohm was 17 and 9 in offense... at WKU. He took Purdue from the 90’s to the 60’s after Purdue lost all of their WRs and had nothing to replace them with. And last year Purdue was the Moore show and still got them in the 30’s. There was not only nothing ahead of him, when Brohm had a chance to get his players, he landed in the top 10. I would call the top 10 proven. Taking a bad offense and landing in the top 40-50 is good, but again look who they were playing. It won’t be that way in the Big Ten East. This year could be a rough one for IU. And keep in mind their schedule outside of the Big is awful. Stat padding against scrubs doesn’t impress me.

Brohm was 17 and 9 in offense... at WKU. He took Purdue from the 90’s to the 60’s after Purdue lost all of their WRs and had nothing to replace them with. And last year Purdue was the Moore show and still got them in the 30’s. There was not only nothing ahead of him, when Brohm had a chance to get his players, he landed in the top 10. I would call the top 10 proven. Taking a bad offense and landing in the top 40-50 is good, but again look who they were playing. It won’t be that way in the Big Ten East. This year could be a rough one for IU. And keep in mind their schedule outside of the Big is awful. Stat padding against scrubs doesn’t impress me.

maybe stat padding impresses young impressionable 17-18 year old recruits. a lot of people like lopsided scores even if the opponents are worthless. Purdue basketball does it all the time. Purdue football used to do it for important games like homecoming. You schedule somebody you can beat and the fans go home happy.

maybe stat padding impresses young impressionable 17-18 year old recruits. a lot of people like lopsided scores even if the opponents are worthless. Purdue basketball does it all the time. Purdue football used to do it for important games like homecoming. You schedule somebody you can beat and the fans go home happy.

Purdue did it under hope... and they fired him. So it isn’t a sustainable plan. As for Purdue basketball, they had one of the toughest schedules. Basketball, for whatever reason schedule awful teams. I get the money aspect, but I think because their are more games the good teams have to play the bottom of the barrel to have enough to share the wealth.

Alabama is one of the most guilty teams of awful out of conference scheduling. They know the SEC will get them in and don’t want to risk a loss. Yet the Big Ten champ has to go undefeated in the East to even have a chance. Dat SEC bias though.

Purdue did it under hope... and they fired him. So it isn’t a sustainable plan. As for Purdue basketball, they had one of the toughest schedules. Basketball, for whatever reason schedule awful teams. I get the money aspect, but I think because their are more games the good teams have to play the bottom of the barrel to have enough to share the wealth.

Alabama is one of the most guilty teams of awful out of conference scheduling. They know the SEC will get them in and don’t want to risk a loss. Yet the Big Ten champ has to go undefeated in the East to even have a chance. Dat SEC bias though.

I agree with all your thoughts! However, I know there are some who love to watch a lopsided game against a worthless opponent. I wonder what a 17 year old making a choice of colleges would prefer? If Purdue played a cream puff non-conference schedule like some schools do, would people love to watch us running up the score? Or would they prefer to watch us come close but lose to a top 25 team?

I don't know what the majority of casual fans would want. I know what the die hard hard core fans want.

I agree with all your thoughts! However, I know there are some who love to watch a lopsided game against a worthless opponent. I wonder what a 17 year old making a choice of colleges would prefer? If Purdue played a cream puff non-conference schedule like some schools do, would people love to watch us running up the score? Or would they prefer to watch us come close but lose to a top 25 team?

I don't know what the majority of casual fans would want. I know what the die hard hard core fans want.

In reinvigorating the fan base, I think Purdue has been more aggressive scheduling worthy opponents. Winning the fans comes first. Then we can focus on the other stuff. But there will be a bias against Purdue until they can prove they are worth national attention so a tougher schedule increases their chances at a good bowl or playoff series. As they say, just win baby.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT