ADVERTISEMENT

Trey Kaufman

"POTFH!"

giphy.gif

Reactions: Schnelk and Roeder
Who knows what will drive decisions, but those two can play together easily and "WOULD" be a force playing together. I love two bigs that are versatile and can play on the perimeter, can play inside and use whatever advantage each has at a given time. Then add to it team players that seem thoughtful and cerebral. Those two would be great book ends.
I agree. I’ve seen Furst play and he reminds me a lot of Brad Miller. Very good ball handling skills for a big. I believe CMP sold him on being the 4, but if Edey doesn’t develop, I could see him playing the 5, much like Biggie did at times. If there’s one thing CMP has shown the last several years is his willingness to get plenty of playing time for the bigs as he’s had multiple every year.

I agree. I’ve seen Furst play and he reminds me a lot of Brad Miller. Very good ball handling skills for a big. I believe CMP sold him on being the 4, but if Edey doesn’t develop, I could see him playing the 5, much like Biggie did at times. If there’s one thing CMP has shown the last several years is his willingness to get plenty of playing time for the bigs as he’s had multiple every year.
With Trey if he comes to Purdue you can play him with Furst as well. Both can play a 4 similar to Wagner and wilson a few years ago for michigan

I will take Brad Miller 7 days a week

The issue this years Purdue team has faced is that depending on the lineup, they have 2-3 players on the court that are not a threat from 3. This clogs the lane and keeps the big man from easy buckets. Furst has to have a reliable 3 point shot in his arsenal (35-40%) to truly be effective at the 4 with Edey on the court. Ivey, IT, Hunter, Newman, Sasha can all stroke it.

I think Morton can shoot, but he really struggled something fierce in the AAU circuit from 3. If Morton does struggle, you don’t want him with Edey and Furst at the same time. That’s why I think Kaufman is still in play. Completely different game than Furst. The closest person to his game is Gillis, but he is completely different than the other bigs.

What I like about Ingram is his ability to play the wing 3/4. Painter really likes versatile players. The only problem with Ingram is that everybody wants him. I truly believe that if Purdue lands Ingram, they could really have a top 5 team in the nation. He fills the biggest position of need, in my opinion.

my thoughts are a player is 100% committed until they sign the LOI. So Painter is being a very smart coach and continuing to recruit who he wants until that day. man y players have changed their mind both for purdue and against purdue after they committed. I don't expect this year to be any different than any other year.

Commitments are nice, but I like LOIs a lot more.

The issue this years Purdue team has faced is that depending on the lineup, they have 2-3 players on the court that are not a threat from 3. This clogs the lane and keeps the big man from easy buckets. Furst has to have a reliable 3 point shot in his arsenal (35-40%) to truly be effective at the 4 with Edey on the court. Ivey, IT, Hunter, Newman, Sasha can all stroke it.

I think Morton can shoot, but he really struggled something fierce in the AAU circuit from 3. If Morton does struggle, you don’t want him with Edey and Furst at the same time. That’s why I think Kaufman is still in play. Completely different game than Furst. The closest person to his game is Gillis, but he is completely different than the other bigs.

What I like about Ingram is his ability to play the wing 3/4. Painter really likes versatile players. The only problem with Ingram is that everybody wants him. I truly believe that if Purdue lands Ingram, they could really have a top 5 team in the nation. He fills the biggest position of need, in my opinion.
This is part of the problem. To me what made CE so deadly was the fact he could create his own shot. He could take it off the dribble and this year our offense was limited because players couldn't do that. Hunter was probably our best and he was very limited with the dribble drive. We get a few players that can do that along with a big like Tre to bully in the paint. This team would be totally different offensively. Don't get me wrong the 3 is crucial for our offense, but we need guys that can create for people like SS, IT and Hunter. Those guys are more spot up shooters and when they get that chance... they're deadly.

Reactions: SKYDOG

Morton will be fine shooting. He shot well in HS, which is closer to the college game than AAU, which is more run and gun basketball to impress recruiters.

Morton will be fine shooting. He shot well in HS, which is closer to the college game than AAU, which is more run and gun basketball to impress recruiters.
Just needs to be good enough to keep the D honest. Purdue will have enough scorers and you know that.

I've been trying to find his high school 3pt numbers (% and volume), but I haven't been able to find them. Do you know what they are?

Great point. This thread keeps mentioning that Furst and Kaufman play the same position. I see no reason whey they can't play together. What I like most about Furst is he has versatility to play as a small 5 in college. I hope Dow and Eddy develop, but Furst gives Purdue some much needed insurance at the 5 if they want to play smaller with 2 forwards.

Furst at the 5 would be similar to how IU used TJD with smaller lineups this year. Also, anyone remember James Augustine on those great Illini teams 15 years ago? Athletic 6'10 lefty forward who played the 5 that ran the floor for dunks, hit open jump shots, could score on the block, and rebounded. Furst could thrive in that role, with a player like Kaufman getting plenty of minutes at the other forward spot beside him.

Great point. This thread keeps mentioning that Furst and Kaufman play the same position. I see no reason whey they can't play together..

You see no reason. The problem is convincing the kids they can play together...I'm sure that's what Painter is currently working on. He tried to do the same thing with Newman and Franklin but ultimately the two believed it was in their best interests to go to different schools.

Part of what makes recruiting so tough/annoying is that you've got to change an 18 year old's beliefs on certain things and even if you present enough evidence sometimes it's still impossible...If I'm a betting man I say it's 98% likely they go to different schools because of this.

You see no reason. The problem is convincing the kids they can play together...I'm sure that's what Painter is currently working on. He tried to do the same thing with Newman and Franklin but ultimately the two believed it was in their best interests to go to different schools.

Part of what makes recruiting so tough/annoying is that you've got to change an 18 year old's beliefs on certain things and even if you present enough evidence sometimes it's still impossible...If I'm a betting man I say it's 98% likely they go to different schools because of this.
I understand what you are saying, but how do we or anyone know that the reason Newman and Franklin went in different directions was because each "believed it was in their best interests to go to different schools". Maybe Newman wanted to go to Purdue and maybe Franklin wanted to go to IU or maybe Franklin saw not just Newman , but his friend IT that was also at Purdue. I mean how do we really know the reason why they went in different directions...what answers they give? What answers others give?

Trey is going to be complimentary to Furst as Furst is to Trey. Could Trey go someplace else? Sure, but he appears to be cerebral and values substance based upon a video. Good group of guys at Purdue as people and players. His versatility is maximized in a motion offense and so his growth can reach his potential. Matt has been on him a long time and if my view of him valuing substance, then Matt has to be at the top there as well. Who knows what will happen, but Purdue is perfect for him.

Reactions: Schnelk
I understand what you are saying, but how do we or anyone know that the reason Newman and Franklin went in different directions was because each "believed it was in their best interests to go to different schools". I mean how do we really know the reason why they went in different directions...what answers they give? What answers others give?

I think they almost came out and said as much. They played together on Meanstreets, so they had a pretty good grasp on how they fit on the floor. Also, Newman cancelling his IU visit after Armaan committing was some confirmation of the desire to play on different teams. Now do we know this is 100% true? I don't think you can say with certainty but their actions definitely speak to that...

I just think fans will look at a ton of reasons and justifications as to WHY a kid could fit with another whereas recruits look at reasons as to WHY NOT. Most of the time it's pretty difficult to win that battle in the kid's mind...We'll see what happens but Painter has a huge hurdle in front of him to convince Kaufman...Which I'm sure he's aware of and doesn't mind because regardless of what happens he's got Furst in the fold.

Trey is going to be complimentary to Furst as Furst is to Trey. Could Trey go someplace else? Sure, but he appears to be cerebral and values substance based upon a video. Good group of guys at Purdue as people and players. His versatility is maximized in a motion offense and so his growth can reach his potential. Matt has been on him a long time and if my view of him valuing substance, then Matt has to be at the top there as well. Who knows what will happen, but Purdue is perfect for him.

You're 100% right, but as others have said, it's tough getting a 17-18 year old to see the bigger picture. Purdue still has Williams/Edey/Dow all in the wings to play the 5 which likely delegates Furst to playing the 4 the majority of the time. That puts Kauffman in a vulnerable position. And while the game has transitioned to positionless basketball it's tough pitch to throw out where someone like Williams/Furst/Kauffman can all co-exist on the floor together.

Reactions: tjreese
You're 100% right, but as others have said, it's tough getting a 17-18 year old to see the bigger picture..

Exactly...People can give Kaufman (or any other recruit for that matter) 1000 reasons as to why he should play at a school and the response can be "yeahhhhhh but still...." and go somewhere else.

I think they almost came out and said as much. They played together on Meanstreets, so they had a pretty good grasp on how they fit on the floor. Also, Newman cancelling his IU visit after Armaan committing was some confirmation of the desire to play on different teams. Now do we know this is 100% true? I don't think you can say with certainty but their actions definitely speak to that...

I just think fans will look at a ton of reasons and justifications as to WHY a kid could fit with another whereas recruits look at reasons as to WHY NOT. Most of the time it's pretty difficult to win that battle in the kid's mind...We'll see what happens but Painter has a huge hurdle in front of him to convince Kaufman...Which I'm sure he's aware of and doesn't mind because regardless of what happens he's got Furst in the fold.
logical reasoning. I wasn't aware of Newman cancelling an IU visit. Did he commit soon after or was there hesistation on Newmans part? Newman was the higher rated player and have a hard time thinking with IUs shooting he wouldn't be able to beat him out. Still, we never know.

You're 100% right, but as others have said, it's tough getting a 17-18 year old to see the bigger picture. Purdue still has Williams/Edey/Dow all in the wings to play the 5 which likely delegates Furst to playing the 4 the majority of the time. That puts Kauffman in a vulnerable position. And while the game has transitioned to positionless basketball it's tough pitch to throw out where someone like Williams/Furst/Kauffman can all co-exist on the floor together.
Well, I hold the opinion that you don't have to have a 5 and can play two 4s if they can interchange positions because of skill level and size in consideration to who is defending them. I have always preferred that type of game. That said, I'm not opposed to a 5 either. Now, Trey can also play some 3 in the limited viewings I've seen. There is a video with Trey recently I believe and it appears to me that he is cerebral (according to his coach) and possibly a bit more reflective than many kids his age and Matt seems to have a better batting average with those players.

logical reasoning. I wasn't aware of Newman cancelling an IU visit. Did he commit soon after or was there hesistation on Newmans part? Newman was the higher rated player and have a hard time thinking with IUs shooting he wouldn't be able to beat him out. Still, we never know.
It was widely reported on our site and by national recruiting analysts that Newman and Franklin likely wouldn’t attend the same school due to position concerns. It was a shock to most when Painter brought them in for a visit on the same weekend to try to convince them to play together. The week after the commitment Franklin committed to IU. In IU’s eyes, they felt similarly about Franklin and Newman as players, so they were happy to take the first to commit. After Franklin committed, IU and Newman mutual agreed to end the recruitment.

For what it’s worth, the IU guys and the 247 national guys continue to say adding Furst likely means Purdue will not get Kaufman, but that Painter will still try to convince them they can play together as he did with Newman and Franklin.

Franklin's visits were 8/24 IU and 8/30-PU
Newman's visits were 8/30-PU and 9/7-IU and 9/21-OSU

The rub is Franklin ended up deciding earlier than expected and committed to IU on 9/6. Newman subsequently cancelled his IU visit (scheduled for the day after Franklin picked IU) and also ended up cancelling his OSU visit and committing to PU on 9/19.

Based on how the chips fell it seems like both kids were very interested in both schools and Franklin just made up his mind first. If Newman would've had interest in playing with Franklin he wouldn't have cancelled his IU visit, OR if he had any real interest in OSU he would've at least gone on his official there.

It was widely reported on our site and by national recruiting analysts that Newman and Franklin likely wouldn’t attend the same school due to position concerns. It was a shock to most when Painter brought them in for a visit on the same weekend to try to convince them to play together. The week after the commitment Franklin committed to IU. In IU’s eyes, they felt similarly about Franklin and Newman as players, so they were happy to take the first to commit. After Franklin committed, IU and Newman mutual agreed to end the recruitment.

For what it’s worth, the IU guys and the 247 national guys continue to say adding Furst likely means Purdue will not get Kaufman, but that Painter will still try to convince them they can play together as he did with Newman and Franklin.
As I've said, you never know what youngsters will do. That said, who do the IU guys say is in the lead?

Franklin's visits were 8/24 IU and 8/30-PU
Newman's visits were 8/30-PU and 9/7-IU and 9/21-OSU

The rub is Franklin ended up deciding earlier than expected and committed to IU on 9/6. Newman subsequently cancelled his IU visit (scheduled for the day after Franklin picked IU) and also ended up cancelling his OSU visit and committing to PU on 9/19.

Based on how the chips fell it seems like both kids were very interested in both schools and Franklin just made up his mind first. If Newman would've had interest in playing with Franklin he wouldn't have cancelled his IU visit, OR if he had any real interest in OSU he would've at least gone on his official there.
I have never heard that Newman wanted to play with Franklin, but I have never heard that he didn't want to play with him either. It was Thompson as I understand it that was Franklin's friend and Thompson who was shocked that he picked IU as I recall the tweets. Anyway, bottom line is until a player signs we don't know for sure and even then someone could transfer. I'm putting a lot of stock into Trey being cerebral enough that his whole relationship with Matt, the other players and how his verstility will be maximized will carry a lot of weight. That could be a bad assumption????

Saw furst via internet the other day! Was impressed by his ball handling. Kaufman is an excellent talent that could n should play the wing in college. Play them together
I also predict haarms and Williams will get more playing time together...next year!

I would love for Haarms and Williams to be on the floor together all season.

Well, I hold the opinion that you don't have to have a 5 and can play two 4s if they can interchange positions because of skill level and size in consideration to who is defending them. I have always preferred that type of game. That said, I'm not opposed to a 5 either. Now, Trey can also play some 3 in the limited viewings I've seen. There is a video with Trey recently I believe and it appears to me that he is cerebral (according to his coach) and possibly a bit more reflective than many kids his age and Matt seems to have a better batting average with those players.

I think offensively he could play 3 but would take some time. He's a good but not great athlete and I think would struggle to an extent guarding more athletic players out on the perimeter, especially early in his career. His handles are decent for his size but nothing that wows you. But he does have a good inside/out game with range that stretches beyond the perimeter. It's role that is very important in Painter's offense. Purdue is stacked in the back court for the coming years and think you'll see more 3 guards sets.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I think offensively he could play 3 but would take some time. He's a good but not great athlete and I think would struggle to an extent guarding more athletic players out on the perimeter, especially early in his career. His handles are decent for his size but nothing that wows you. But he does have a good inside/out game with range that stretches beyond the perimeter. It's role that is very important in Painter's offense. Purdue is stacked in the back court for the coming years and think you'll see more 3 guards sets.
I'm trying to recall if Matt has ever had anything other than 3 guards. I'm limited to video on Trey and that is offensive generally. He probably would struggle on D since most do. However, Matt stresses team D moreso that individual D. Now he wants them to contain the dribble, but as I understand from previous players...Matt does a LOT of shell work and so that wouldn't be as huge a problem for Matt as other programs. Actually Vince told me a couple of years ago that all they did is shell type drills.

Here is the thing with kids and playing IMO...it seems that many want to get to the league or keep playing somewhere and for those with NBA desires, it may be more realistic to need to play down in size. 5s, wanting to be 4s...4s wanting to be 3s etc since the NBA is a step up in length. Purdue has benefited from kids wanting playig time at the 4 due to Purdue having 5s already. That can be a selling point if the person is willing to transition into handling the ball a bit more and playing a bit more on the perimeter. Anyway, what coach wouldn't like a team of 7 footers with guard skills? ;)

As in which people are reporting the top 3 I just mentioned? The Peegs staff and 247 national analysts.
if things change..no matter the change..come back here and post it. I can take bad news if that is what it is...especially if it is Ingram to Purdue! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: HoosierSince80
There have been two common narratives regarding the 2021 in state class. The first is that Furst and Kauffman won't go to the same school because they each believe they play the same position. The second one is that Kauffman and Lander won't go to the same school because they aren't friends and have always chosen for whatever reason not to play aau together.

My guess (and that's all it is) is that there's truth to both narratives, but that both Painter and Archie think they can overcome these issues to the extent they exist. I tend to think that Painter has the bigger challenge because playing time and role are so critical in a high school kid's mind but again, just speculating.
if you are correct, then you must believe the lean is to Louisville or X?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT