ADVERTISEMENT

Trey is making his decision on October 30th

Rabjohns is a fanboy, pure and simple. With Kaufman, he kept saying IU wouldn't trade places with anyone, even up to when Brian was all but saying he's Purdue bound a week before he announced. Brian had the recruitment right from the get-go, whille all the other national guys had no clue. The "too big of a stage" comment is just sour grapes from a fanboy. IU hasn't made the tourney since 2016. What a stage that is.
Rabjohns and Brian are both biased towards the schools they cover. It’s part of the job.

Rabjohns had bad info in this recruitment. That happens to everyone from time to time including Brian.

Once again, the fishbowl comments started well before his commitment and it was national analysts along with Rabjohns. The comments have nothing to do with on the court situations.

Rabjohns and Brian are both biased towards the schools they cover. It’s part of the job.

Rabjohns had bad info in this recruitment. That happens to everyone from time to time including Brian.

Once again, the fishbowl comments started well before his commitment and it was national analysts along with Rabjohns. The comments have nothing to do with on the court situations.
Being biased is part of their job? What?

Nah, that's something Rabjohns does, but it's not part of that job description if you're a professional
Brian does it too. Said Damezi Anderson and Armaan Franklin got won over by the “glitz and glam” that is IU basketball. Said TJD’s parent’s preferred Purdue, but that TJD was enamored with IU.

Said Purdue was going to get Armaan Franklin and Josh Sales even though Rabjohns and co were reporting they were going to IU.

They both do it. In fact all journalists who report for a given school’s site do it.

Reactions: GregJM24
Brian does it too. Said Damezi Anderson and Armaan Franklin got won over by the “glitz and glam” that is IU basketball. Said TJD’s parent’s preferred Purdue, but that TJD was enamored with IU.

Said Purdue was going to get Armaan Franklin and Josh Sales even though Rabjohns and co were reporting they were going to IU.

They both do it. In fact all journalists who report for a given school’s site do it.
Is any of that wrong? Josh Sales was bound for IU like a month before he committed. Brian never said anything about Purdue with like two months left. And yeah, that style over substance is what wins over lots of IU recruits.

Is any of that wrong? Josh Sales was bound for IU like a month before he committed. Brian never said anything about Purdue with like two months left. And yeah, that style over substance is what wins over lots of IU recruits.
“He could have used the recruits actual quotes when discussing them post commitment rather than saying they just fell in love with the “glitz and glam””

Like I said, both sites do the same thing. Congrats on the Kaufman pick up. We will find out in a few years if it was a good choice.

“He could have used the recruits actual quotes when discussing them post commitment rather than saying they just fell in love with the “glitz and glam””

Like I said, both sites do the same thing. Congrats on the Kaufman pick up. We will find out in a few years if it was a good choice.
Thanks on the congrats. However we already know he made a good choice. We all know Purdue has a great, stable program with a very good coach that is respected by many. He spent a lot of time to evaluate and understand how he will fit with the Purdue program and the dynamics. With Painter being a renowned straight shooter, there is not much guess work. He will have plenty of opportunity to play and use his further developing skills while earning a great education.

"... an IU journalist..."

I'm so old I recall the days when there were no qualifiers that came before the word, "journalist". They were simply that: "journalists".

Nowadays, not so much.
I assume that an IU urinalist went to the world famous IU School of Urinalism.

Reactions: Schnelk
They have a fan base they cater towards. Brian does the same thing based on screenshots I’ve seen.

Not really, Brian doesn't sugar coat stuff and calls it like he sees it. That doesn't mean he isn't wrong on predictions. But hey, you saw a couple screen shots.

Rabjohns is an IU journalist. Of course he is going to have IU bias. Just as Brian has Purdue bias and makes excuses when Purdue loses a recruit to IU or anyone else. Their job is to keep their subscribers happy.

Brian Snow is not an IU reporter, and he was reporting the same thing prior to Kaufman committing. I choose to believe them. You choose not to. Who cares? We will see in time if Kaufman made the right choice.

I've enjoyed most of your posts, and agree with a lot of what you've said, but I have to point out something here: We won't see in time. Unfortunately, life doesn't give us those opportunities to see about our decisions. He could have a great career for Purdue, but would've had an even better one at IU. Or, he could get hurt for us, and wouldn't have at IU. Or could have potentially put up better numbers at IU, personally, but experienced much less team success than he would at Purdue. Or, and my final point, he may just be a good player, and would have had a great career at either school, and he just happened to pick Purdue, for a variety of reasons. But, in any case, in reality, we won't be able to "see in time if Kaufman made the right choice."

i would think top 10? Maybe 9 or 10 in the country. Michigan just picked up a 5 star, Caleb Houston, and they have qty with 5. M$U has Max Christie and a couple 4 stars. I would say #3 in the league.

Michigan just picked up Moussa Diabate 6’9” ranked in the top 20 to 30. Did he play with Edey last year at IMG in Bradenton? B1G is getting some good recruits next year. Howard trying to make Michigan into a UK with one and done players.

Michigan just picked up Moussa Diabate 6’9” ranked in the top 20 to 30. Did he play with Edey last year at IMG in Bradenton? B1G is getting some good recruits next year. Howard trying to make Michigan into a UK with one and done players.
Which, if he does it consistently, like UK does, then he can be pretty successful there at Michigan. Also, while I hate the strategy in general, I do think it is probably a pretty good strategy for him to take, as he can probably relate to these kids better than almost all coaches, being a former 5-star widely-known recruit himself. I can only think of a couple of other college coaches that were fairly decent players in their day(s), but I can't really think of anyone else in country (although I'm sure there is somewhere), who is a head coach and was a top-level 5-star recruit themselves coming out of high school. Can you guys think of anyone?

Last edited:
Which, if he do it consistently, like UK does, then he can be pretty successful there at Michigan. Also, while I hate the strategy in general, I do think it is probably a pretty good strategy for him to take, as he can probably relate to these kids better than almost all coaches, being a former 5-star widely-known recruit himself. I can only think of a couple of other college coaches that were fairly decent players in their day(s), but I can't really think of anyone else in country (although I'm sure there is somewhere), who is a head coach and was a top-level 5-star recruit themselves coming out of college. Can you guys think of anyone?
Patrick Ewing? Danny Manning?

Which, if he do it consistently, like UK does, then he can be pretty successful there at Michigan. Also, while I hate the strategy in general, I do think it is probably a pretty good strategy for him to take, as he can probably relate to these kids better than almost all coaches, being a former 5-star widely-known recruit himself. I can only think of a couple of other college coaches that were fairly decent players in their day(s), but I can't really think of anyone else in country (although I'm sure there is somewhere), who is a head coach and was a top-level 5-star recruit themselves coming out of college. Can you guys think of anyone?
Penny.

Patrick Ewing is a great choice. I didn't know much about his high school prowess, so I did a little research. I found something that said he was probably the most highly sought after recruit in the class of 1981, even higher than Jordan. So, yeah, that's impressive. I also didn't realize how impressive his college career was either. He was a heck of a player.
Danny Manning - I really couldn't find much on him in high school, so I don't know if he is a good example or not. He definitely had a brilliant high school career, but the shadiness of Kansas hiring his dad to be an assistant coach, after having been a truck driver for the 4 previous years, and then Manning deciding to go to Kansas, I think, skewed some of the history.

Penny is a great choice as well. He was definitely a perfect fit for the criteria.

Which, if he does it consistently, like UK does, then he can be pretty successful there at Michigan. Also, while I hate the strategy in general, I do think it is probably a pretty good strategy for him to take, as he can probably relate to these kids better than almost all coaches, being a former 5-star widely-known recruit himself. I can only think of a couple of other college coaches that were fairly decent players in their day(s), but I can't really think of anyone else in country (although I'm sure there is somewhere), who is a head coach and was a top-level 5-star recruit themselves coming out of high school. Can you guys think of anyone?

The ability to relate how to not get caught taking money to play at Michigan...

• Haha
Reactions: bgloveless

Hardaway.

Are you referring to Penny or someone else?
I'm just curious, since someone else already mentioned Penny

Yes - Anfernee "Penny" Hardaway. I missed New Pal's response initially. When it starts going.....it's all downhill from there.

tenor.gif

This is a little much. Rabjohns never once said IU was the clear leader for Kaufman. The only thing he ever said even remotely close to that is that In his opinion IU wouldn’t want to trade places with anyone else. He consistently said not to count Purdue out when so many were.

He did not just start the “fishbowl” stuff or IU being too big of a stage for him after the commitment. He and Brian Snow both were saying that prior to his commitment.

The information Rabjohns gets is right far more often then it is wrong.

Speaking of getting recruiting information wrong, don’t forget the Jaren Jackson Jr, Zeke Nnaji, and Armaan Franklin recruitments. Those were not good looks for GBI. These guys have a tough job and can only report based on what they are being told. Most of the time the information is accurate. Sometimes it isn’t.
What forum have you ever visited that was not generally "a little much?" Why have a forum if it's not over-the-top for their team? C'mon man!!!

On a similar topic I'd like to see the stars on the number of recruits that Mike Pegram has proclaimed 100% for IU that went elsewhere.

Reactions: Schnelk
On a similar topic I'd like to see the stars on the number of recruits that Mike Pegram has proclaimed 100% for IU that went elsewhere.
Can you name some? I’m having a hard time coming up with even 1 that he “proclaimed 100% for IU that went elsewhere”. TIA

Good question. Can you provide Peegs' information on Kaufman's recruitment that indicates otherwise?
He had a 6/10 confidence on 247 crystal ball for 6 months. He changed that to a 7/10 4 days prior to the recruitment. So the most he did was proclaim Kaufman was 60% or 70% coming to IU. Not 100%.

Good info.

Can you link to it?
Since you don't have access to the premium content, linking his threads would be pointless. He changed his pick the last day to Purdue, so I can't link his crystal ball picks either. However, some posters in this thread posted about him upping his confidence in the final week, so I can provide that as evidence.

He upped his confidence in the pick to 7.

I still feel like it’s PU but I do feel better since Pegram upped his confidence. I’d be happy with Miller and Mohammed as well though as I’ve said before. Kaufman is a 1 or 2 and done where Miller is most likely a 4 year kid. I just think Kaufman is underrated and won’t be in college long but we’ll see.
There are many out there that think Kaufman is better than Furst and I’m one of them. Peg ram has never been wrong and upped his confidence within the last couple of days so I don’t know why you’re so confident? Yes, I think he’s going to PU too but I have no idea and neither do you.

Since you don't have access to the premium content, linking his threads would be pointless. He changed his pick the last day to Purdue, so I can't link his crystal ball picks either. However, some posters in this thread posted about him upping his confidence in the final week, so I can provide that as evidence.

Oh.

Okay.

There's nothing in the public domain.

He had a 6/10 confidence on 247 crystal ball for 6 months. He changed that to a 7/10 4 days prior to the recruitment. So the most he did was proclaim Kaufman was 60% or 70% coming to IU. Not 100%.
We have discussed things before and you have always been reasonable with me. I think I asked if you knew the Barr family in New Castle before. You have no reason to believe what I am about to say and I understand that, and I have no desire to try to convince you otherwise. Still, I'll say it and you and any others can say what you want...and I fully understand that if I were in your shoes I wouldn't believe what I'm about to say either.

You may be wrong to believe that IU was ever a serious contender for Trey. No more from me will be said. I just thought I would mention that many recruiting sites guessed and had no meaningful information.

We have discussed things before and you have always been reasonable with me. I think I asked if you knew the Barr family in New Castle before. You have no reason to believe what I am about to say and I understand that, and I have no desire to try to convince you otherwise. Still, I'll say it and you and any others can say what you want...and I fully understand that if I were in your shoes I wouldn't believe what I'm about to say either.

You may be wrong to believe that IU was ever a serious contender for Trey. No more from me will be said. I just thought I would mention that many recruiting sites guessed and had no meaningful information.
But, “It’s Indiana”...

I acknowledge Peegs/Rabby had poor information on this recruitment. I have not been claiming IU was a serious contender. I was just defending the character assassinations by some on here. Congrats on the pickup.

I acknowledge Peegs/Rabby had poor information on this recruitment. I have not been claiming IU was a serious contender. I was just defending the character assassinations by some on here. Congrats on the pickup.
and I have not followed this thread and as I have said...you have always been reasonable to me.

Reactions: TrojanFan004
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT