ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer?

Boiler Buck

All-American
Mar 11, 2010
Any leads as to who will be leaving the team to make room for a new recruit? When Purdue accepted Harris LOI, it was said here CMP must have known someone wasn't returning. Well then, why hasn't word filtered out at the same time as Gillis and Morton since per the board it was already known? Just curious.....

Any leads as to who will be leaving the team to make room for a new recruit? When Purdue accepted Harris LOI, it was said here CMP must have known someone wasn't returning. Well then, why hasn't word filtered out at the same time as Gillis and Morton since per the board it was already known? Just curious.....
If I had to bet based on who is coming in and what not, I wouldn't be shocked to see Berg transfer. Lots of thoughts on in being Waddell.. and to a degree Colvin.. but I am not sold on that. Especially Colvin.. he will have as much playing time as he wants (or earns) next season.

The portal is going to fill up quick, so I imagine our wait won't be all that long until we know.

My hypothesis - it is a tough convo between Painter and the player(s). I imagine it is a tough talk to have and explain that your scholarship is being pulled and it isn’t personal.

I’ve seen 2-3 names mentioned on Twitter. Waddell makes the most sense as we have a major logjam in the 2-3 spots. I don’t see minutes opening up for him and being a dog fight between the returning players plus we add Harris, Cox and Benter.

My hypothesis - it is a tough convo between Painter and the player(s). I imagine it is a tough talk to have and explain that your scholarship is being pulled and it isn’t personal.

I’ve seen 2-3 names mentioned on Twitter. Waddell makes the most sense as we have a major logjam in the 2-3 spots. I don’t see minutes opening up for him and being a dog fight between the returning players plus we add Harris, Cox and Benter.
I've also seen things of a possible prep-school/re-classify of someone. Waddell does make the most sense but he also has a lot of athleticism so I'd hate to see him go.

One thing I am fairly confident in saying is I think Painter knows who/what is happening and has for a while. While it is a good problem to have, it is one I am glad I don't have to deal with. Painter has said himself it rips him apart and keeps him up at night (paraphrasing) and based on what we have seen in terms of him and his relationship with his players (past and present), I don't doubt it.

I've also seen things of a possible prep-school/re-classify of someone. Waddell does make the most sense but he also has a lot of athleticism so I'd hate to see him go.

One thing I am fairly confident in saying is I think Painter knows who/what is happening and has for a while. While it is a good problem to have, it is one I am glad I don't have to deal with. Painter has said himself it rips him apart and keeps him up at night (paraphrasing) and based on what we have seen in terms of him and his relationship with his players (past and present), I don't doubt it.
Would be crazy for Jacobsen to reclass to 24 then reclass back to 25. Then again, crazier things have happened.

Reactions: BBG
You'd think we'd know pretty soon if this was all planned out.

The only time we've seen this before (I think) is when Johnson came back for his senior year and I believe the solution then was for one of the incoming players to go to prep school. Donnie Hale? This was all before players got paid though.

It's good to be good until it's not.

True enough especially in this sad NIL environment.. But as long as we keep Smith as a centerpiece building block for next year we should hopefully still be fine. He just will elevate everyone, and will be essential as we integrate the new frosh imo.

Last edited:

They can’t pull scholarships. “The talk” isn’t about pulling scholarships but they there is no opportunity for playing time. There are plenty of times (maybe not at Purdue) where players were given “the talk” but did not leave. They cannot legally take away their scholarship.

I’m thinking painter had a talk with Morton and Gillis already that we won’t have a scholarship for them (they already received the required 4 years). Hence them going to the portal the same day. There are always surprise transfers, I don’t think paint is worried about the situation.

They can’t pull scholarships. “The talk” isn’t about pulling scholarships but they there is no opportunity for playing time. There are plenty of times (maybe not at Purdue) where players were given “the talk” but did not leave. They cannot legally take away their scholarship.

I’m thinking painter had a talk with Morton and Gillis already that we won’t have a scholarship for them (they already received the required 4 years). Hence them going to the portal the same day. There are always surprise transfers, I don’t think paint is worried about the situation.
Scholarships are 1 year. They absolutely can be pulled

Agree with all, but schollies are 1 year I believe

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT