ADVERTISEMENT

TKR redshirting

I think he'll be happy he made that decision.

It does have the potential to really benefit him. If I remember correctly redshirts get more strength training as they don't need to be recovered for games. I'm sure he has NBA aspirations, and the additional gains toward developing an NBA body and explosiveness is something he might not be able to realize as much if he's not RS'ing.

It must be so hard to make that decision (and I'm not sure it's the best thing for Purdue because if all goes well, I don't think he uses year 5 anyway), but I do think this can really help TKR maximize his professional basketball future.

It does have the potential to really benefit him. If I remember correctly redshirts get more strength training as they don't need to be recovered for games. I'm sure he has NBA aspirations, and the additional gains toward developing an NBA body and explosiveness is something he might not be able to realize as much if he's not RS'ing.

It must be so hard to make that decision (and I'm not sure it's the best thing for Purdue because if all goes well, I don't think he uses year 5 anyway), but I do think this can really help TKR maximize his professional basketball future.
If he can help Purdue as a FR, the 'shirt will come off.

Right now, the (expected) marginal contribution isn't likely to win us games.

Reactions: boilerpt
That’s surprising. If he stays for 5 years he could be one of the best players Purdue has ever seen. Cardinal redshirted too. Maybe TKR want to heal more from his injury and really work on his game. I’m excited to see him next year!

Reactions: *4purdue*
That’s surprising. If he stays for 5 years he could be one of the best players Purdue has ever seen. Cardinal redshirted too. Maybe TKR want to heal more from his injury and really work on his game. I’m excited to see him next year!
with the amount of conditioning he can do while he isn't playing in games- we could be pretty good in the post next season even if Edey leaves for the NBA. RS-FR TKR, SO Furst, JR Gillis and I am guessing a transfer portal center

Reactions: punaj
According to GBI it will give him an opportunity to transition to the 3. It will be a great opportunity for him.

But the takeaway from this is that Purdue is so deep in talent that they can redshirt a Top 50 recruit. I don't care how long you have been alive, you have never seen anything like this at Purdue.

Similar to when Newman and Gillis redshirted. They could've had some minimal contributions as true freshmen but both had moments to shine as redshirt freshmen. I think TKR will be the same. After this season we'll lose a ton of rotation minutes with Williams, Stefanovic, and Hunter scheduled to move on and possibly Ivey/Edey as well. It gives TKR a year to work more on his perimeter skills so he can play along side Furst and/or Gillis. Assuming we lose all 5 of the players mentioned, we still have a rotation of ....

Thompson/Morton/Smith
Newman/Loyer
TKR/Heide
Gillis/TKR
Furst

That seems like 20-25 mpg minimum. Much more opportunity next year and TKR is mature enough to both see that opportunity and use the extra year to put himself in position to take advantage of it. Even if Edey were to come back, still easy to see him getting 20 mpg between the 3 and 4.

That bunch down south. They claim CMP lied and he made a horrible decision. Imagine what Trayce thinks of his decision. The guy can't even get a game in the tournament.
Yeah. I'm sure CMP promised him a starting spot and unlimited minutes as a true freshman just like he does to every recruit.

Even if TKR did decide to find another spot to play, why would he choose IU?

That bunch down south. They claim CMP lied and he made a horrible decision. Imagine what Trayce thinks of his decision. The guy can't even get a game in the tournament.
“…potential real speculation…”

9d1e37914b558bb7f01c73489fbdfb4f.gif

Reactions: Poprudy
If he can help Purdue as a FR, the 'shirt will come off.

Right now, the (expected) marginal contribution isn't likely to win us games.
Don't disagree at all with your point in general, but, I am very confident that he could help Purdue as a FR...I just don't think he would consistently get the chance to do so, more so after Gillis returns.

He will recognize benefits by/of redshirting...but, I don't feel like this was a case of him not being able to help Purdue this year.

So how many guys have redshirted for us in about the last ten years and actually stayed to play four years? It seems like they pretty much always leave before the fourth year and we never get that redshirt year back. Not sure it makes sense for the school in today's world.

So how many guys have redshirted for us in about the last ten years and actually stayed to play four years? It seems like they pretty much always leave before the fourth year and we never get that redshirt year back. Not sure it makes sense for the school in today's world.
I don't know that it did not make sense for the school/Purdue, as, guys that left generally did so because they were not going to play in that redshirt "extra" year, but, they weren't gong to play initially in most cases either...or, at least not more than they ideally would in that 5th year down the road.

It worked out for/with Sasha...no reason to believe that Newman is going anywhere...or, at least not because he was not good enough or not playing...same for Gillis...and, could/would/should be the same in the case of TKR. I think the key in the case of all of those guys is that they all could have played their Freshman year, but, they all will certainly play in that 5th year if they do remain...that was not the case with some of the other guys that redshirted.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
If Cline were the only instance in which it happened, I'd say that was worth it.

Better let Jay Wright (and Phil Booth, Mikal Bridges, Divincenzo, etc.) know that red-shirting good players doesn't make sense anymore. All three of those guys were 2x national champions and two of them were first round draft picks.

The more I read about redshirting, the less it is about trading year 1 for year 5 (that is a bonus if it works out), and the more it is about trading game preparation in year 1 (in which you aren't going to play much) for focused training and development.

Last edited:
Better let Jay Wright (and Phil Booth, Mikal Bridges, Divincenzo, etc.) know that red-shirting good players doesn't make sense anymore. All three of those guys were 2x national champions and two of them were first round draft picks.

The more I read about redshirting, the less it is about trading year 1 for year 5, and the more it is about trading game preparation in year 1 (in which you aren't going to play much) for focused training and development.
TKR isn't going to be here more than 3 years anyway so this redshirt doesn't bother me one bit. He's going to get the time to fully heal and move to a position he will play in the NBA like you said.

This is a win-win and a very good decision on his part since we know CMP leaves it up to them.

The more I read about redshirting, the less it is about trading year 1 for year 5 (that is a bonus if it works out), and the more it is about trading game preparation in year 1 (in which you aren't going to play much) for focused training and development.
This.

I might kick myself for this but where is Wole to espouse his wisdom on redshirting?

If you don't do it, a few of us might throw in a few boots to help you out...just kidding Wole. :)

Although I'm maybe a little surprised, it's certainly not a shock, and I'm confident CMP and Trey Kaufman-Renn worked through all of the expectations - he seems like a young man who will make this work for the best opportunity with Purdue and for his future. Don't underestimate the other aspects of maturing/developing and getting used to college life. The slight injury setbacks may have made this an easier decision....don't know.....and wouldn't want to speculate.

I expect he will be a big part of more good things for CMP's program down the line. You have to balance the short-term and the long-range goals, IMO. Not easy.

Don't disagree at all with your point in general, but, I am very confident that he could help Purdue as a FR...I just don't think he would consistently get the chance to do so, more so after Gillis returns.

He will recognize benefits by/of redshirting...but, I don't feel like this was a case of him not being able to help Purdue this year.
Correct, and I didn't make the argument (or the case) he would be able to help Purdue this year.

Every time I see a

"how many times has X happened in the past, therefore it's not going to happen in the future"

argument I role my eyes.

It is this kind of logic that led to scores and scores of people telling me that Peyton Manning would never get to a super bowl.

He played in 4 and won 2 of them.

Reactions: mathboy
Cline was an exception as is sasha. Neither player had the actual talent to become an NBA player. Sure the y improved. and Cline was nice his last year.

BUt if kaufman really has aspirations of playing in the NBA, he isn't going to stay at purdue for the entire 5 years. So why waste a red shirt year? he will not learn anything more by redshirting than coming off the bench.

if it's playing time he really wants, and he can't play the 3, it's not going to get any better for him next year or the year after. I highly doubt Edey or furst turn pro after this year.

so what's the benefit of red shirting verses getting limited minutes off the bench? if he's not going to stay 5 years , there is none. he'll be just as good next year if he played small minutes verses red shirting.

I'll say it again, if a player has NBA talent and asperations, redshirting is not the path players take. because if they're good, they'll leave in 1-2 years. keep telling about how great Cline and mathias and all the rest of the purdue redshirts were their last year at purdue. the thing is none of those players came to purdue with NBA talent or NBA aspirations.

the only benefit I can see from a player of kaufman's talent if he red shirts is that he'll have 4 years available if he decides to transfer to another school. Wit h furst and edey starting this year, kaufman is never going to get a chance to be that star at purdue at the 4.

Newman was a heralded player when he was recruited and came to purdue. he didn't come to purdue with the intent of redshirting. he decided to do so because of what he saw as lack of playing time. Newman may be great his 5th year at purdue. But is he going to be the star player ? No. is he going to be an NBA player? no. To me, in today's world, if you have the talent and desire to play in the NBA, you don't waste a year red shirting.

what's he going to gain? some added weight and conditioning? he'll still have the same practices. the players he's competing for time wit aren't going anywhere anytime soon. next year isn't going to be any better for him.

I want to make this clear. I believe red shirting CAN BE A GOOD THING for certain players who are not ready to contribute /compete at the college level like Waddell, Wheeler , Cline, IT, Newman, Haarmes, and even Carr at MSU. and for players who need time to develop their game and learn a new position. Carr was a 6'5 PF in high school. But if a player is a top 25 high school player with NBA talent and hopes, red shirting is not the right personal signal to the pro scouts.

the second thing i want to make clear. if kaufmann actually stays 5 years, that will be a great thing for purdue his 5th year. But the majority of us thought he was going to be really awesome and wouldn't stay here for more than 3 years.

Did wheeler stay here for 5 years?

my last thought on redshirts, how many players that redshirted in the past 10 years became stars at Purdue? cline became good. but he was more of a supporting player than a star. the same was true of haarms and Sasha. my hopes for kaufman was that he would become more than just a good supporting player.

I look at furst and kaufmann much the same way i look back at hummel and martin. one stayed and one left for greener pastures. Wit h wedey in place, Every time i see a top 25 player deciding to redshirt, i envision the sam thing will happen. Today's players want playing time. and with today's portals, to many of them, that's more important than team goals of winning.

Sure, this is a great thing for purdue if kaufman decides to stay 5 years. But at this moment, i doubt he will. Furst's playing time will only increase. anything can still happen. I look at Duke. they bring in all those 5 star players. and each year a player with high hopes and talent gets beat out and decides to transfer elsewhere.

I liked the recruitment of wadell and redshirting him. he is the type of player that will stay 5 years at purdue and will gradually bcome a nice role player off the bench. I was kind of hoping kaufman would be able to beat out gillis and see significant playing time as a freshman. it's clear that Furst has.

and that's why i have issues about redshirting. the great players like biggie and carsen don't redshirt. they force their way into playing as freshmen. the good role players that become assistant coaches red shirt.

I've got nothing against redshirting. I just believe that in today's basketball - not back in the old days when brian cardinal played - that freshmen are prepared and ready to play and possibly start for even the most loaded teams. I highly doubt that freshman we recruited who ended up going to Gonzaga is going to redshirt. and when I see a top ranked player decide to redshirt , it leaves me with the impression that he was not as great as his recruiting rating.

I'll go back to WR Carr and PG Eastern. . Carr had an awesome rating when he came to purdue. he was one of our top 25 all time recruits. he did virtually nothing for us. then he left for MSU. he's a sophmore now, and he still hasn't done much. he was rated a lot higher than both Moore and Bell. Eastern was one of purdue's best PG recruits. I wanted him to start as a freshman. but he was never as good as his rating would lead people to believe. this make me wonder and worry that those ratings are not as accurate as they could be. it lessens my optimism about the next 4/5 star recruit we sign. if you're an elite player, you force the coach to play you. and you beat out the returning starters. you don't sit out a year and watch and cheer.

Look at hartwig ! he plays football. he's an elite center. Contrary to popular tradition, he didn't redshirt like all the other lineman do. is he an exception? NO! What he was is an elite center ready to play as a freshman. and he beat out the incumbant. that's what i thought and hoped kaufman would be able to do. I'd love to see players like IT and Gillis coming off the bench becuse that woul mean we're an even better team than last year. if a player is truly elite the y do not red shirt. and vice versa, if a player decides on his own to red shirt that must mean he doesn't feel he can beat out the players ahead of him. and that means, he's not elite.

College basketball has evolved. please don't try to compare today's players and decisions to when brian cardinal and scheffler played. Today's elite players play 2 years maximum. Sure teams like Vilanova always have a bunch of seniors and their record in the NCAA tourney is great. But the Mr. basketballs of the world don't red shirt.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Cline was an exception as is sasha. Neither player had the actual talent to become an NBA player. Sure the y improved. and Cline was nice his last year.

BUt if kaufman really has aspirations of playing in the NBA, he isn't going to stay at purdue for the entire 5 years. So why waste a red shirt year? he will not learn anything more by redshirting than coming off the bench.

if it's playing time he really wants, and he can't play the 3, it's not going to get any better for him next year or the year after. I highly doubt Edey or furst turn pro after this year.

so what's the benefit of red shirting verses getting limited minutes off the bench? if he's not going to stay 5 years , there is none. he'll be just as good next year if he played small minutes verses red shirting.

I'll say it again, if a player has NBA talent and asperations, redshirting is not the path players take. because if they're good, they'll leave in 1-2 years. keep telling about how great Cline and mathias and all the rest of the purdue redshirts were their last year at purdue. the thing is none of those players came to purdue with NBA talent or NBA aspirations.

the only benefit I can see from a player of kaufman's talent if he red shirts is that he'll have 4 years available if he decides to transfer to another school. Wit h furst and edey starting this year, kaufman is never going to get a chance to be that star at purdue at the 4.

Newman was a heralded player when he was recruited and came to purdue. he didn't come to purdue with the intent of redshirting. he decided to do so because of what he saw as lack of playing time. Newman may be great his 5th year at purdue. But is he going to be the star player ? No. is he going to be an NBA player? no. To me, in today's world, if you have the talent and desire to play in the NBA, you don't waste a year red shirting.

what's he going to gain? some added weight and conditioning? he'll still have the same practices. the players he's competing for time wit aren't going anywhere anytime soon. next year isn't going to be any better for him.

I want to make this clear. I believe red shirting CAN BE A GOOD THING for certain players who are not ready to contribute /compete at the college level like Waddell, Wheeler , Cline, IT, Newman, Haarmes, and even Carr at MSU. and for players who need time to develop their game and learn a new position. Carr was a 6'5 PF in high school. But if a player is a top 25 high school player with NBA talent and hopes, red shirting is not the right personal signal to the pro scouts.

the second thing i want to make clear. if kaufmann actually stays 5 years, that will be a great thing for purdue his 5th year. But the majority of us thought he was going to be really awesome and wouldn't stay here for more than 3 years.

my last thought on redshirts, how many players that redshirted in the past 10 years became stars at Purdue? cline became good. but he was more of a supporting player than a star. the same was true of haarms and Sasha. my hopes for kaufman was that he would become more than just a good supporting player.

I look at furst and kaufmann much the same way i look back at hummel and martin. one stayed and one left for greener pastures. Wit h wedey in place, Every time i see a top 25 player deciding to redshirt, i envision the sam thing will happen. Today's players want playing time. and with today's portals, to many of them, that's more important than team goals of winning.

Sure, this is a great thing for purdue if kaufman decides to stay 5 years. But at this moment, i doubt he will. Furst's playing time will only increase. anything can still happen. I look at Duke. they bring in all those 5 star players. and each year a player with high hopes and talent gets beat out and decides to transfer elsewhere.

I liked the recruitment of wadell and redshirting him. he is the type of player that will stay 5 years at purdue and will gradually bcome a nice role player off the bench. I was kind of hoping kaufman would be able to beat out gillis and see significant playing time as a freshman. it's clear that Furst has.

and that's why i have issues about redshirting. the great players like biggie and carsen don't redshirt. they force their way into playing as freshmen. the good role players that become assistant coaches red shirt.

I've got nothing against redshirting. I just believe that in today's basketball - not back in the old days when brian cardinal played - that freshmen are prepared and ready to play and possibly start for even the most loaded teams. I highly doubt that freshman we recruited who ended up going to Gonzaga is going to redshirt. and when I see a top ranked player decide to redshirt , it leaves me with the impression that he was not as great as his recruiting rating.

I'll go back to WR Carr and PG Eastern. . Carr had an awesome rating when he came to purdue. he was one of our top 25 all time recruits. he did virtually nothing for us. then he left for MSU. he's a sophmore now, and he still hasn't done much. he was rated a lot higher than both Moore and Bell. Eastern was one of purdue's best PG recruits. I wanted him to start as a freshman. but he was never as good as his rating would lead people to believe. this make me wonder and worry that those ratings are not as accurate as they could be. it lessens my optimism about the next 4/5 star recruit we sign. if you're an elite player, you force the coach to play you. and you beat out the returning starters. you don't sit out a year and watch and cheer.

Look at hartwig ! he plays football. he's an elite center. Contrary to popular tradition, he didn't redshirt like all the other lineman do. is he an exception? NO! What he was is an elite center ready to play as a freshman. and he beat out the incumbant. that's what i thought and hoped kaufman would be able to do. I'd love to see players like IT and Gillis coming off the bench becuse that woul mean we're an even better team than last year. if a player is truly elite the y do not red shirt. and vice versa, if a player decides on his own to red shirt that must mean he doesn't feel he can beat out the players ahead of him. and that means, he's not elite.

College basketball has evolved. please don't try to compare today's players and decisions to when brian cardinal and scheffler played. Today's elite players play 2 years maximum. Sure teams like Vilanova always have a bunch of seniors and their record in the NCAA tourney is great. But the Mr. basketballs of the world don't red shirt.
Do you really believe people read all that crap? Lol. Most stop reading after a line or 2.

TL;DR

Reactions: mlewis777

why "waste" a redshirt year?

what's the benefit of redshirting?

Painter has addressed those questions very eloquently, very specifically, and with a very compelling story, if you've paid attention. It's not for everyone, and he doesn't claim it is. But he does give some players that option under some circumstances.

(no, I didn't waste my time reading the entire screed)

Not sure why you insist on asking the same questions every time, when the answers have been right in front of you and haven't changed.

He fractured his wrist this summer genius. The recovery time that was lost is likely part of the reason for redshirting.

I wish TKR all the best. I hope he achieves his ultimate dreams, including the NBA if that is at the top of his list. I'm not really a ranking guy for the most part, even though I do believe a higher ranking does mean something.

However, I'm also not an NBA fan, so I really only care about the Purdue TEAMS results. He obviously saw that he couldn't get the minutes this season, so he chose to redshirt...his decision and probably the correct decision for both himself and the team.

Hopefully, he will continue at Purdue and achieve all of his goals, but I guess I don't see what the big deal is to some who seem somewhat distraught over his decision.

Most every high school player has NBA dreams

Every time I see a

"how many times has X happened in the past, therefore it's not going to happen in the future"

argument I role my eyes.

It is this kind of logic that led to scores and scores of people telling me that Peyton Manning would never get to a super bowl.

He played in 4 and won 2 of them.

IIRC, his two losses were to former Big Ten quarterbacks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT