ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Edey is 1st Team All Big Ten

I don’t know about Hepburn as a breakout player. He will need to shoot more for sure but he seemed like a breakout last year.

I don’t know about Hepburn as a breakout player. He will need to shoot more for sure but he seemed like a breakout last year.
He was only a breakout player because he was not the focus of anyone...we have seen this so many times, even at Purdue...guys that are the 4th/5th option one year then become a top option later, often don't have the same success.

I have no idea what he will do admittedly...I thought he was incredibly overrated personally, but, that may just be in that I did not care for him either.

But, I am curious to see how things look for him absent Johnny Davis and Brad Davidson.

Reactions: TX4GB
He was only a breakout player because he was not the focus of anyone...we have seen this so many times, even at Purdue...guys that are the 4th/5th option one year then become a top option later, often don't have the same success.

I have no idea what he will do admittedly...I thought he was incredibly overrated personally, but, that may just be in that I did not care for him either.

But, I am curious to see how things look for him absent Johnny Davis and Brad Davidson.

Damn....thought Davison was coming back for a 9th year.....sorry to see him go.

200.gif

Reactions: DAG10 and TX4GB

Hepburn might find things to be a little different being the focus of a defense. He might draw the teams best defender next year too. Davis was good last year, and Davidson was obviously a pain in the arse.

There is a lot of teams that may be looking for a new alpha this year including Purdue. Edey is the obvious choice, but We will need some punch at guard.

Reactions: DAG10
Yeah, I feel like you have to give that to Izzo.
Holtmann is generally REALLY good...I don't care for Gard, but, he is pretty solid as well.

Personally, I am shocked that Howard did not get it...not that I feel like he should, but, there is so much acclaim for him all of the time in every regard.

Best X and O’s coach? Lol
Most likely the best in the B1G. Name a coach who does more with less?

He wasn't the best "recruiter". Now, there's where him and his staff take a small step backwards.

He wasn't the best "recruiter". Now, there's where him and his staff take a small step backwards.
Again, not a fan of Gard, but, he is right up there in the same regard.

Pikiell is really good as well I think.

Reactions: BSIT

CMP has had good recruits but is a good tournament coach. If so St Peters would have never happened

Again, not a fan of Gard, but, he is right up there in the same regard.

Pikiell is really good as well I think.
I'd agree with Gard. CMP is consistently in the top of the B1G every year. Both are good X's and O's coaches

CMP has had good recruits but is a good tournament coach. If so St Peters would have never happened
Games happen and some teams are ready to play. The talent alone for Kentucky or Purdue should've handled St. Pete's, but games have happen throughout history. Every blue blood has had it happen and they recruit at a higher clip

Games happen and some teams are ready to play. The talent alone for Kentucky or Purdue should've handled St. Pete's, but games have happen throughout history. Every blue blood has had it happen and they recruit at a higher clip
Games happen a lot to CMP. Tournament performance is not the best XO B1G coach

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Games happen a lot to CMP. Tournament performance is not the best XO B1G coach
So you don't consider the majority of his games? Which are in the B1G. So, is your point that he's not a good tournament coach or X &O coach?

So you don't consider the majority of his games? Which are in the B1G. So, is your point that he's not a good tournament coach or X &O coach?
XO goes hand and hand in Tournaments. He chocked and record confirms this fact . If he is the best this means you’d take him over IZ

XO goes hand and hand in Tournaments. He chocked and record confirms this fact . If he is the best this means you’d take him over IZ
I disagree. Tournament coaches need a lot of luck and talent. Yes, our best player was a top 5 draft pick, but this team wasn't a recruiting stud fest. We barely had a few ranked under 100. Tournament teams seem to win with talent.

If you don't win in the regular season then the tournament is irrelevant. Many teams have talent, but choke within the year and never see the tournament.

• Haha
I disagree. Tournament coaches need a lot of luck and talent. Yes, our best player was a top 5 draft pick, but this team wasn't a recruiting stud fest. We barely had a few ranked under 100. Tournament teams seem to win with talent.

If you don't win in the regular season then the tournament is irrelevant. Many teams have talent, but choke within the year and never see the tournament.
Look at his record in the BTT. Dog awful. BTW you know we are playing FB game now

That’s not why I’d take him over izzo. I’d take him over izzo because I find izzo to be a whiny asshole.

That’s not why I’d take him over izzo. I’d take him over izzo because I find izzo to be a whiny asshole.
Izzo has a great record of recruiting good players. Yes, sometimes they are truly shitty human beings, but good players. He also seems to be a master at motivation. His teams come out in tourney games on fire, plus he has benefitted from some very fortunate matchups.

Izzo has a great record of recruiting good players. Yes, sometimes they are truly shitty human beings, but good players. He also seems to be a master at motivation. His teams come out in tourney games on fire, plus he has benefitted from some very fortunate matchups.
And rarely has lost to the likes of St Peters

15 seed Middle Tennessee vs 2 seed msu 2016…
They lost early not in a game with a trip to E8. I remember that game and that’s why I said IZ rarely loses. CMP has made a habit of losing games to St Peters, UALR and others. If he was a good XO’s coach he would have knocked out St Peters in first half. His record confirms his ability to choke repeatedly and is no where near IZ’s class. CMP can’t even win the BTT. I think he may have won once with supposedly good teams. I’m resigned to the fact we will be celebrating the 50 year golden anniversary for the Gold and Black last F4 appearance. He and Keady aren’t good tournament coaches even with NBA players

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Lol yeah I must have watched someone else go to multiple F4’s along with winning a NC but carry on believing Keady and CMP were unlucky
Izzo has been to more final 4's than Painter has sweet 16's. They just aren't comparable. Though to at least be fair to Painter, no other coach in the b1g is comparable either.

Reactions: mathboy and BSIT
He, in the past, was excellent as well with respect to game planning...especially in the tournament...he was about as good as anyone in that regard for awhile...had talent certainly, but, had a great plan often also.

What makes someone a good tournament coach? The rules don’t change from regular season to postseason. I think people get a small sample size mixed up with someone actually being good/bad in the tournament. Kind of like how people said Beard owned Painter since he had won a grand total of 2 games

Yeah, I feel like you have to give that to Izzo.
They did not have that as a category, but Izzo would definitely would have won it unanimously.
The coach that best uses the NIL for recruits, before there was a NIL, nominated by Dawson and numerous others.

Was that the nomination for the POTY of only going to your left?
Or, the "I have NEVER lived up to expectations, nor, actually developed my game" award.

I get that he is overrated by those that follow and cover the Indinia program, but, for others to get caught up in it is dumb. Personally, a really strong case could be made for Edey as such...I can't stand Dickinson, but, he is a far superior player than TJD...Kris Murray has been better and has a much better overall game.

I just have a hard time rewarding a guy that has underperformed for his career somehow being tabbed as the POTY ahead of guys that have overperformed for their careers...that have been better, and, are better.

ADVERTISEMENT