ADVERTISEMENT

TKR redshirting

TKR’s second choice was UVA, and he probably would’ve needed to redshirt there, too. Only at a down talent IU would he have played, but that’s because of how much they need able bodies. Their squeaker with a bad EMU team showed how far they’ve dropped after Little Archie’s tenure of mediocrity.

why "waste" a redshirt year?

what's the benefit of redshirting?

Painter has addressed those questions very eloquently, very specifically, and with a very compelling story, if you've paid attention. It's not for everyone, and he doesn't claim it is. But he does give some players that option under some circumstances.

(no, I didn't waste my time reading the entire screed)

Not sure why you insist on asking the same questions every time, when the answers have been right in front of you and haven't changed.
Wole enjoys writing. Reading and listening is boring.

TKR’s second choice was UVA, and he probably would’ve needed to redshirt there, too. Only at a down talent IU would he have played, but that’s because of how much they need able bodies. Their squeaker with a bad EMU team showed how far they’ve dropped after Little Archie’s tenure of mediocrity.
I don't know, looks like UVA could have used him last night too.

I don’t know if TRK’s hand injury or his high school competition limited his development. For one reason or another, he seems not to be as competitive in scrimmages or practices as his ranking would indicate. He needs to have time to develop, and to get his legs under him. This red shirt seems like a good idea to me. He might have been a top 50 player at some point, but right now his play doesn’t seem to match that ranking.

These kids are always a bit unpredictable. While I don’t think so, it is possible that TRK will never see the floor. With his talent and physical gifts, I expect him to be a major contributor at Purdue, but there is also that small possibility that some combination of injuries, motivation, and opportunity might change his life direction. I hope the kid has all the success he deserves, but I always temper my long term expectations until we see a bit more of a player.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I don’t know if TRK’s hand injury or his high school competition limited his development. For one reason or another, he seems not to be as competitive in scrimmages or practices as his ranking would indicate. He needs to have time to develop, and to get his legs under him. This red shirt seems like a good idea to me. He might have been a top 50 player at some point, but right now his play doesn’t seem to match that ranking.

These kids are always a bit unpredictable. While I don’t think so, it is possible that TRK will never see the floor. With his talent and physical gifts, I expect him to be a major contributor at Purdue, but there is also that small possibility that some combination of injuries, motivation, and opportunity might change his life direction. I hope the kid has all the success he deserves, but I always temper my long term expectations until we see a bit more of a player.
Don't agree with that sentence. He looked like a very potent scorer in the fan day scrimmages. I can not speak to practices.

Reactions: mathboy
She is going to be public enemy #1 if her charges effect a dream season and it turns out to be a false accusation. I suspect Michigan State is behind this

Reactions: purduepat1969
Checked the St John’s box score and Wheeler did ok. He didn’t start though. 6 points, 6 boards in 17 minutes played. Similar to last year I think.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Cline was an exception as is sasha. Neither player had the actual talent to become an NBA player. Sure the y improved. and Cline was nice his last year.

BUt if kaufman really has aspirations of playing in the NBA, he isn't going to stay at purdue for the entire 5 years. So why waste a red shirt year? he will not learn anything more by redshirting than coming off the bench.

if it's playing time he really wants, and he can't play the 3, it's not going to get any better for him next year or the year after. I highly doubt Edey or furst turn pro after this year.

so what's the benefit of red shirting verses getting limited minutes off the bench? if he's not going to stay 5 years , there is none. he'll be just as good next year if he played small minutes verses red shirting.

I'll say it again, if a player has NBA talent and asperations, redshirting is not the path players take. because if they're good, they'll leave in 1-2 years. keep telling about how great Cline and mathias and all the rest of the purdue redshirts were their last year at purdue. the thing is none of those players came to purdue with NBA talent or NBA aspirations.

the only benefit I can see from a player of kaufman's talent if he red shirts is that he'll have 4 years available if he decides to transfer to another school. Wit h furst and edey starting this year, kaufman is never going to get a chance to be that star at purdue at the 4.

Newman was a heralded player when he was recruited and came to purdue. he didn't come to purdue with the intent of redshirting. he decided to do so because of what he saw as lack of playing time. Newman may be great his 5th year at purdue. But is he going to be the star player ? No. is he going to be an NBA player? no. To me, in today's world, if you have the talent and desire to play in the NBA, you don't waste a year red shirting.

what's he going to gain? some added weight and conditioning? he'll still have the same practices. the players he's competing for time wit aren't going anywhere anytime soon. next year isn't going to be any better for him.

I want to make this clear. I believe red shirting CAN BE A GOOD THING for certain players who are not ready to contribute /compete at the college level like Waddell, Wheeler , Cline, IT, Newman, Haarmes, and even Carr at MSU. and for players who need time to develop their game and learn a new position. Carr was a 6'5 PF in high school. But if a player is a top 25 high school player with NBA talent and hopes, red shirting is not the right personal signal to the pro scouts.

the second thing i want to make clear. if kaufmann actually stays 5 years, that will be a great thing for purdue his 5th year. But the majority of us thought he was going to be really awesome and wouldn't stay here for more than 3 years.

Did wheeler stay here for 5 years?

my last thought on redshirts, how many players that redshirted in the past 10 years became stars at Purdue? cline became good. but he was more of a supporting player than a star. the same was true of haarms and Sasha. my hopes for kaufman was that he would become more than just a good supporting player.

I look at furst and kaufmann much the same way i look back at hummel and martin. one stayed and one left for greener pastures. Wit h wedey in place, Every time i see a top 25 player deciding to redshirt, i envision the sam thing will happen. Today's players want playing time. and with today's portals, to many of them, that's more important than team goals of winning.

Sure, this is a great thing for purdue if kaufman decides to stay 5 years. But at this moment, i doubt he will. Furst's playing time will only increase. anything can still happen. I look at Duke. they bring in all those 5 star players. and each year a player with high hopes and talent gets beat out and decides to transfer elsewhere.

I liked the recruitment of wadell and redshirting him. he is the type of player that will stay 5 years at purdue and will gradually bcome a nice role player off the bench. I was kind of hoping kaufman would be able to beat out gillis and see significant playing time as a freshman. it's clear that Furst has.

and that's why i have issues about redshirting. the great players like biggie and carsen don't redshirt. they force their way into playing as freshmen. the good role players that become assistant coaches red shirt.

I've got nothing against redshirting. I just believe that in today's basketball - not back in the old days when brian cardinal played - that freshmen are prepared and ready to play and possibly start for even the most loaded teams. I highly doubt that freshman we recruited who ended up going to Gonzaga is going to redshirt. and when I see a top ranked player decide to redshirt , it leaves me with the impression that he was not as great as his recruiting rating.

I'll go back to WR Carr and PG Eastern. . Carr had an awesome rating when he came to purdue. he was one of our top 25 all time recruits. he did virtually nothing for us. then he left for MSU. he's a sophmore now, and he still hasn't done much. he was rated a lot higher than both Moore and Bell. Eastern was one of purdue's best PG recruits. I wanted him to start as a freshman. but he was never as good as his rating would lead people to believe. this make me wonder and worry that those ratings are not as accurate as they could be. it lessens my optimism about the next 4/5 star recruit we sign. if you're an elite player, you force the coach to play you. and you beat out the returning starters. you don't sit out a year and watch and cheer.

Look at hartwig ! he plays football. he's an elite center. Contrary to popular tradition, he didn't redshirt like all the other lineman do. is he an exception? NO! What he was is an elite center ready to play as a freshman. and he beat out the incumbant. that's what i thought and hoped kaufman would be able to do. I'd love to see players like IT and Gillis coming off the bench becuse that woul mean we're an even better team than last year. if a player is truly elite the y do not red shirt. and vice versa, if a player decides on his own to red shirt that must mean he doesn't feel he can beat out the players ahead of him. and that means, he's not elite.

College basketball has evolved. please don't try to compare today's players and decisions to when brian cardinal and scheffler played. Today's elite players play 2 years maximum. Sure teams like Vilanova always have a bunch of seniors and their record in the NCAA tourney is great. But the Mr. basketballs of the world don't red shirt.
-5OKSEJh1IfFRAP0_oGZaEDOxmwMPYYawM8yk7DH8ek7bALqTDgms83IL7lZMox8KCLDY8ZGaoHSP1-dZdHU96JtG2TGQPqi-us5O-rq4_ApwbV8lmEKUKzsPTnBSSsWBr9KZpEQkqRkmoF2KYCab29icdcgCOugt8jTjg

This makes all the sense in the world for TKR AND Purdue. The fact that it’s not what you personally envisioned for his path at Purdue, and beyond, is completely irrelevant.

For anyone having an issue with the redshirt or the guys down south that say TKR is not happy..... This answers your questions straight from TKR himself.
I have always been very impressed when I have heard Trey in interviews. I feel the same about Furst and Waddell, for that matter. I love that Painter recruits character and maturity.

Refreshing to hear TKR and how he gets the big picture. He is wise and mature beyond his years. Even if he were to never play basketball again, I'd bet on him doing big things on whatever he does. He's talks with the wisdom/experience of someone much older and he is only 18 or 19. Wish I could go back to that age and re-live some experiences with the wisdom I have now in my 40's.

Looks like Trojan and our old friend and frequent visitor (under multiple handles, all of which were banned) Courtsense are melting down the IU board over TKR. Funny to watch two posters who can post on any other forums because of their non stop trolling and history of bigotry, respectively keep destroying that cesspool. No idea why their mods permit it, though I recall Peegs laid out a permanent ban for Court after he was outed by the IU AD. Please keep them out of here.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Looks like Trojan and our old friend and frequent visitor (under multiple handles, all of which were banned) Courtsense are melting down the IU board over TKR. Funny to watch two posters who can post on any other forums because of their non stop trolling and history of bigotry, respectively keep destroying that cesspool. No idea why their mods permit it, though I recall Peegs laid out a permanent ban for Court after he was outed by the IU AD. Please keep them out of here.
Is that why he had to create Courtsense "2"

TIL that TKR's uncle, Matt Renn, played basketball at Indiana State and is in the ISU Athletics Hall of Fame.

Do you have access to practices?

Refreshing to hear TKR and how he gets the big picture. He is wise and mature beyond his years. Even if he were to never play basketball again, I'd bet on him doing big things on whatever he does. He's talks with the wisdom/experience of someone much older and he is only 18 or 19. Wish I could go back to that age and re-live some experiences with the wisdom I have now in my 40's.
I'm frequently reminded of what an immature douche' bag I was at 19 in relation to most of these kids.

Do you have access to practices?
No, but I watch games carefully. Painter plays those who show they are ready in the practices. You can watch these early games to see who is getting it done in practices. TRK may be very skilled but he didn't play much in the exhibition game, so I assume (we know what that means) that he is a little behind in developing, which shows in their practices.

Not trying to be a know-it-all here. I am more than ready to accept a differing opinion if someone has better information.

No, but I watch games carefully. Painter plays those who show they are ready in the practices. You can watch these early games to see who is getting it done in practices. TRK may be very skilled but he didn't play much in the exhibition game, so I assume (we know what that means) that he is a little behind in developing, which shows in their practices.

Not trying to be a know-it-all here. I am more than ready to accept a differing opinion if someone has better information.

TRK? Turkey on your mind that much less than 2 weeks from Thanksgiving? lol

• Haha

Your opinion is as valid as anyones. Im just always curious as to 'inside information' versus the wesite coaches we all are here. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT