ADVERTISEMENT

TJD

Maybe it's a loyalty thing but it just seems like IU could've gotten better players with that kind of money. What do I know.
Really? Top ten class with 4 of the 5 starters back? I know they have some issues but it should be a top 3 team in the B1G. Still have a lot of basketball to play. Also, you can’t really buy players. (NIL isn’t to be used to recruit) I do realize some do put the negotiation before the commitment.

• Haha
Reactions: Poprudy
Really? Top ten class with 4 of the 5 starters back? I know they have some issues but it should be a top 3 team in the B1G. Still have a lot of basketball to play. Also, you can’t really buy players. (NIL isn’t to be used to recruit) I do realize some do put the negotiation before the commitment.
Lol because this wasn't a recruiting tool for Pack??? Schools and the businesses giving the funds are inclusive and if you don't believe it then you're not paying attention.

The NCAA knew they lost full control over recruiting. So, they allowed the bigger programs to keep it as the "norm" and let the programs not established in this to figure it out. This wasn't a flat playing ground.

Lol because this wasn't a recruiting tool for Pack??? Schools and the businesses giving the funds are inclusive and if you don't believe it then you're not paying attention.

The NCAA knew they lost full control over recruiting. So, they allowed the bigger programs to keep it as the "norm" and let the programs not established in this to figure it out. This wasn't a flat playing ground.
You act like you know for a fact IU is playing that game. You also didn’t read or comprehend what I said. Of course everything you said is also true.

You act like you know for a fact IU is playing that game. You also didn’t read or comprehend what I said. Of course everything you said is also true.
I don't believe that I stated anything about IU? So, comprehension is what you lacked while reading my post. My post was more on the lines of paying players to play at a school. That is my issue with the NIL...just call it "pay to play".

I don't believe that I stated anything about IU? So, comprehension is what you lacked while reading my post. My post was more on the lines of paying players to play at a school. That is my issue with the NIL...just call it "pay to play".
The laugh emoji says different. You definitely are implying it. So that’s what I comprehended. We are basically agreeing with each other. You won’t get an argument from me on pay for play.

“Also, you can’t really buy players. (NIL isn’t to be used to recruit) I do realize some do put the negotiation before the commitment.”

what about my statement dismissed the Pack ordeal? Those situations are few so far. Not many are getting hotly recruited like Pack. That deal was insane.

GIllis will be the starting 3. Morton will run the point.
That's not going to happen. Neither Gillis or Furst can guard most 3s. Morton can't guard most 1s. Newman just can't guard most players.

Would also leave only 1 ball handler out there. No chance.

Another year gives him the opportunity to show whether he can hit a jump shot with consistency. If he can, I think it’s enough to at least get him drafted. As far as Woodson’s abilities, a lot remains to be seen. I will say that TJD wouldn’t even attempt a right-handed finish his first two years, but he showed noticeable improvement in that area after one off-season with Woodson. Recent videos of him shooting threes show he’s been working on that as well. He’s clearly being steered in the right direction, which wasn’t happening under Miller. I think it’s just a matter of whether he puts in the work to add the missing pieces to his game.
If you think so. TJD was over-hyped and over-rated coming out of HS. I posted years ago that folks who's kid played with him said he was lazy and didn't work hard enough in HS. His struggles are proving that now. I doubt he'll make an NBA roster.

That's not going to happen. Neither Gillis or Furst can guard most 3s. Morton can't guard most 1s. Newman just can't guard most players.

Would also leave only 1 ball handler out there. No chance.
Who said Newman would play any at all? Morton is by far good enough defensively. And Gillis was one of the better defenders last year. He'll be just fine where ever he plays....and he brings the work ethic to do what Painter asks to help the team..

Top 3...should be. Until the season begins. Movement # 3

Who said Newman would play any at all? Morton is by far good enough defensively. And Gillis was one of the better defenders last year. He'll be just fine where ever he plays....and he brings the work ethic to do what Painter asks to help the team..
You don’t think Newman is going to start? I guess that tells me all I need to know about your opinion of who the starters will be.

Kaufman is more likely to be the starting 3.
I wish Gillis could form into a 3. His size, strength and decent shooting from deep would make him a nice bully type 3. I think development of a dribble would do wonders for Gillis and might be his only down fall at the 3.

I’m not sure he has the lateral quickness to guard a lot of the wings in the B1G.
I guess that would be a good question. Unfortunately, we never got to see him in action at the 3. He helped tremendously at breaking the press.

He just reminds me of a Baylor/Texas Tech/Houston type of 3 big and burly.

I also wonder, with so many here concerned about mercenaries that change teams too often, why such negativity to a player who will stay for four years and get a degree before going pro, whether his pro days are in the NBA or not? Long before NIL, he decided to stay for multiple years rather than try to climb through the G League or Eurpoe into the NBA.
Because it’s a Purdue board on a Purdue site. Now go salt the fries, short pants.

Reactions: BBG
It is pretty pathetic that the IU fan's school-girl-like-crush on a basketball player has to be posted on a Purdue forum.

I was just getting ready to make a separate thread about NIL, and why it works for some and not others.

IU fans, like many fans of SEC schools, have crushes on the individual (even coaches like Knight), which makes them rush out in groves to buy jerseys with names and post pictures of players on their man-cave bathroom walls. They have an unusual attachment to the individual. This, unfortunately, plays into NIL marketing. (do players really want their pictures in bedrooms and bathrooms?)

Purdue fans are mostly graduates, or those with a family connection, who have an loyalty to the university, and whole team. Our fanbase spans the sands of time.

"Ever greatful, ever true...."

Kaufman is more likely to be the starting 3.
So..if Kaufman is at the 3, where does GIllis go? You have to start First somewhere. That is what I mean when I say we'll be fine next year. Smith and Morton at PG, Edey at C, Gillis at the 3, First at the 4,

You might bring Gillis off the bench, but what does that do for Newman who struggled big time last year? I just can't see Newman...who I like a lot....moving from the outhouse last year to starting this year. It's possible I guess but a stretch.

Last edited:
No way he isn't starting. Newman is basically our best scoring guard on the roster. What's scary is he barely played last year and now we depend on him this year.
I don't necessarily agree with Newman being our best....Morton led the state of Pa. in a lot of categories and was POY two years in a row.

People are forgetting how good the kid is. And...here's a thought...he was projected as a 3 when being recruited

Reactions: mathboy
So..if Kaufman is at the 3, where does GIllis go? You have to start First somewhere. That is what I mean when I say we'll be fine next year. Smith and Morton at PG, Edey at C, Gillis at the 3, First at the 4,

You might bring Gillis off the bench, but what does that do for Newman who struggled big time last year? I just can't see Newman...who I like a lot....moving from the outhouse last year to starting this year. It's possible I guess but a stretch.
You need Furst now as a backup 5. He will split minutes between the 4 and 5, and due to work load, might not start. But that will not effect minutes, but you have to watch his foul count as he is to important now with backing up two key positions.

TKR will bounce between the 3 and 4.

There is a very good chance neither TKR or Furst start.

Transfer/Smith
Newman/Loyer
Morton/Wadell
Gillis/TKR
Edey/Furst

I don't necessarily agree with Newman being our best....Morton led the state of Pa. in a lot of categories and was POY two years in a row.

People are forgetting how good the kid is. And...here's a thought...he was projected as a 3 when being recruited
That was high school. We don't know anything about the competition Morton was facing. He wasn't a scorer in AAU and hasn't been a scorer yet at Purdue.

I’m not sure he has the lateral quickness to guard a lot of the wings in the B1G.
To me it's more about the size at the 3. Lateral quickness usually becomes more of an issue at the 1-2. We didn't get to see him attempt to many midrange shots and that's where a 3 seems to establish themselves with the occasional pick and pop.

I see the effectiveness at his size in B12. Guys that can dribble, midrange pull-ups, and passing. These teams are so effective with guys his size being able to shoot over the top. We've seen Michigan utilize Wagner in this same aspect.

I love Gillis, but there were plenty of times where the bigger 4 would score right over him or push him in the block. I personally just feel he's more suitable at a 3 with his overall abilities.

To me it's more about the size at the 3. Lateral quickness usually becomes more of an issue at the 1-2. We didn't get to see him attempt to many midrange shots and that's where a 3 seems to establish themselves with the occasional pick and pop.

I see the effectiveness at his size in B12. Guys that can dribble, midrange pull-ups, and passing. These teams are so effective with guys his size being able to shoot over the top. We've seen Michigan utilize Wagner in this same aspect.

I love Gillis, but there were plenty of times where the bigger 4 would score right over him or push him in the block. I personally just feel he's more suitable at a 3 with his overall abilities.
Defensively I don’t see him staying in front of guys like Johnny Davis, Malachi Branham, Terence Williams or even a Galloway. Lots of quick guards play the 3 in the B1G. Could he even guard Newman?

Offensively I don’t think he has the handles to create off the bounce, especially against players who are quicker than he is.

I guess we’ll find out this fall !

Defensively I don’t see him staying in front of guys like Johnny Davis, Malachi Branham, Terence Williams or even a Galloway. Lots of quick guards play the 3 in the B1G. Could he even guard Newman?

Offensively I don’t think he has the handles to create off the bounce, especially against players who are quicker than he is.

I guess we’ll find out this fall !
Most of those guys weren't tremendously quick off the dribble, but could shoot over the top of the defender(minus Galloway). JD had his way with smaller guards on the block.

Defense at the 3 usually comes from position. The most effective big guards that play the 3 drag most defender's in the paint and simply shoot above them. You have to remember 2 of 3 are top 15 NBA prospects no one played great defense against them and I would simply back off of Galloway as he can't shoot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT